Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beating the Zerg out of game design.

13»

Comments

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

In my mind the most effective way of countering zergs from the developer side, while still allowing it. is to limit the rewards for success.

If there are less people to divide the PvP points or loot drops from boss mobs (in case of PvE zerging) then at least some will try to do the same task with less people to get the greater reward.

You would still have zergs, simply because it atleast gives a chance of a reward even if you are bad, but I think that is ok.

Especially if there is even the slightest chance for a smaller zerg or a few well organized groups to sometimes beat a zerg.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by WW4BW

(in case of PvE zerging) then at least some will try to do the same task with less people to get the greater reward.

mmos have been doing this for a while with dungeons. Limiting them to small groups of 4-5 people which can be boring already. At least in PvE i do prefer huge zergs as long as its still very hard and rewarding. For Example, instead of a zerg dealing with 1 huge boss, why not add various huge bosses in the same fight, each with its own unique combat strategy and smart AI that help each other. Im sure the PvE zerg can handle the pressure while at the same time making the game more fun.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Don't know what this topic is really about, but..

Everquest has PVE zerg and non-zerg tactics.

Everquest has reverse zerg systems I guess, although they have been nerfed a bit.

EQ mob zerg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMf9vldhn4

People might think this takes no skill, but it takes quite a bit of skill to judge just how many mobs you can handle and where your limits are.

I think any system is great as long as it takes tactics and skill to do, but many current action games take no skill and I frankly hate them.