Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait till this games 20 bucks then it might be worth it.....

SupermanDanSupermanDan Member Posts: 56
Wasn't having high expectations for this game based on gameplay dev videos I've watched but man after about a hour or two I got to the point where I just alt tabbed and did other things because theres just nothing interesting going on in Defiance. As others have said the UI is probably one of the worst I've seen for a MMO its definitely designed around consoles just look at the awesome graphics choices you get: low medium high and vsync and AA on off oh wow.... When you have to google search to logout this game you know theres a problem with the interface (F6 then the account tab up top btw). What you guys think about defiance? my guys ego is like 70 and I don't think I can even keep going I wouldn't be suprised to see this on sale not to far after the game launches and it having a small playerbase that likes the scifi show that goes along with it.

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Nah, I've better things to spend 20 bucks on.

Once it goes completely F2P (which will probably happen very soon after the TV-show starts) I might spend a few hours messing around with it. Or not.

• SupermanDanSupermanDan Member Posts: 56
    Yea it might take awhile to go completely f2p but for this game unless massive changes are in store after launch that'll be the path it'll have to take as the playerbase will be super small
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

ctrl Q , didnt have to look up a thing on the internet to figure it out. Over all the UI feels pretty standard in FPS games, which.. traditionally have been made for keyboard/mouse.

I agree there is plenty of room left for improvement for the UI but it really isnt all that bad at all. I just didnt like the default key layout and Im not that thrilled about CTRL Q to quit the game, it can be anoying when you accidently quit the game in the middle of a mission you struggled to get through.

I do agree the character customization is a tad limited , but again not horible.

Originally posted by Panthien

ctrl Q , didnt have to look up a thing on the internet to figure it out. Over all the UI feels pretty standard in FPS games, which.. traditionally have been made for keyboard/mouse.

I agree there is plenty of room left for improvement for the UI but it really isnt all that bad at all. I just didnt like the default key layout and Im not that thrilled about CTRL Q to quit the game, it can be anoying when you accidently quit the game in the middle of a mission you struggled to get through.

I do agree the character customization is a tad limited , but again not horible.

Didn't know about the ctrl Q shortcut couldn't find that anywhere in the controls key map but thats better then F6 then clicking over to accounts I guess but its still not a good layout it should be as easy as hitting escape and then quit like a majority of games on pc. The customization is very limited and is about equal to most f2p mmos that are out now. For a 50 dollar b2p game I was expecting more then that GW2s a good example same business model and a much better game even though I was never a big fan of the GW series. Anyways unless it goes on a big sale on steam or turns f2p I think I'm moving on from this game theres just much better options out there in the genre for the price.

Originally posted by bestever
    Nope love the game its a nice change for once and the beta is a small part of the zone. The zone is pretty big and gets crazy when you try to cross the golden gate bridge, I mean like one shot dead unless you have a huge group. Nope put down the 99$ for game and picked up the season pass, all very much worth it for me.

Well if the game gets a ton better late game then sure but so far all I've done was learn I have a ego chip in my head and do a special ability with a cortana clone and do quests like turn on radio towers and retrieve supplies all while killing the same mutant cleavers and riflemen over and over. That and spending like a half hour trying to figure out that consolized UI

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Already pre ordered. I made up my mind during last beta. The most fun MMOFPS i have played and there are no others in this same genre for comparison so not a hard decision.

And why the hell would a B2P MMO go F2P?

*slams head on desk*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Already pre ordered. I made up my mind during last beta. The most fun MMOFPS i have played and there are no others in this same genre for comparison so not a hard decision.

And why the hell would a B2P MMO go F2P?

*slams head on desk*

Don't hurt your head there tramuas not a good thing. We'll have to see at launch on the late game of it but I just didn't get much excitement from the early parts of the game. I wish you could interact with the world more and get more immersed instead of cortana telling me to go to this camp and take em out!

Originally posted by SupermanDan
    Nope love the game its a nice change for once and the beta is a small part of the zone. The zone is pretty big and gets crazy when you try to cross the golden gate bridge, I mean like one shot dead unless you have a huge group. Nope put down the 99$ for game and picked up the season pass, all very much worth it for me.

Well if the game gets a ton better late game then sure but so far all I've done was learn I have a ego chip in my head and do a special ability with a cortana clone and do quests like turn on radio towers and retrieve supplies all while killing the same mutant cleavers and riflemen over and over. That and spending like a half hour trying to figure out that consolized UI

So you've done the frist 3 quest. Yes in that area it's mutants.  Just can't say because alpha is still under nda but yes it changes it not like tera.

Actually the NDA lifted on the 22nd so you can discuss everything about the game. What other things can you kill other then mutants and bandits? Also what else goes down questwise

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

I'm thinking of trying the Xbox version (I wonder if I can rent it?) just to experience an MMO on console. 

I'm wondering though what the community will be like - 10 year olds whining at eachother / dropping from the group when mom tells them it's time for bed? - and how soon the numbers will dwindle as it loses their attention and they go back to playing COD.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

So you've done the frist 3 quest. Yes in that area it's mutants.  Just can't say because alpha is still under nda but yes it changes it not like tera.

Actually the NDA lifted on the 22nd so you can discuss everything about the game. What other things can you kill other then mutants and bandits? Also what else goes down questwise

Alpha NDA is not lifted. I will say though that he is correct, it does change quite a bit in several ways. Variety of things to do, stuff to kill, places to go, a huge change in difficulty, and customization of your character.

Ego rating impacts multiple things including available co-op missions, quality of weapons you can buy / pickup from drops, available tier of lockboxes, number of slots you can put perks into, etc.

Originally posted by Total_Hunt

I'm thinking of trying the Xbox version (I wonder if I can rent it?) just to experience an MMO on console. 

I'm wondering though what the community will be like - 10 year olds whining at eachother / dropping from the group when mom tells them it's time for bed? - and how soon the numbers will dwindle as it loses their attention and they go back to playing COD.

Yea this games got some complex elements to it with the open world parts and such idk how many console players will enjoy a game like this I don't see a huge community gathering around it unless the tv show really takes off and gets players excited to see whats going on.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Alpha NDA is not lifted. I will say though that he is correct, it does change quite a bit in several ways. Variety of things to do, stuff to kill, places to go, a huge change in difficulty, and customization of your character.

Ego rating impacts multiple things including available co-op missions, quality of weapons you can buy / pickup from drops, available tier of lockboxes, number of slots you can put perks into, etc.

Idk why they don't introduce those things in the early game then why the repetitive stuff early and give everyone a mediocre experience and only reward the ones that persevere to the later game to the nicer content. Can you say how far you have to go to get there? I'll try to get to that point and rejudge the game if it really improves it that much.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Well, considering all the recent whining from the PC community, for example "OMG im too stupid to figure out how to log out of a game. I spent 30 minutes trying to do it and couldnt find it so I had to google search it", when it takes anyone with a bit of common sense a whole 20-30 seconds to find the option to logout for the 1st time... not sure which community would be worse to deal with at this point. I wonder how some of these people manage to even operate their computer on a regular basis. Im guessing some of them dont leave their house often because they couldnt find instructions on google for how to open their front door.

• Revy106Revy106 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Boring game enough said lol 
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Well, considering all the recent whining from the PC community, for example "OMG im too stupid to figure out how to log out of a game. I spent 30 minutes trying to do it and couldnt find it so I had to google search it", when it takes anyone with a bit of common sense a whole 20-30 seconds to find the option to logout for the 1st time... not sure which community would be worse to deal with at this point. I wonder how some of these people manage to even operate their computer on a regular basis. Im guessing some of them dont leave their house often because they couldnt find instructions on google for how to open their front door.

Yea but the UI should be streamlined to the point where you should never need to have to lookup how to do basic functions like logout and this games been the first where I had to do a google search to figure the same thing out I like to figure it out on my own I feel more accomplished that way but I bet most gave up and alt f4ed the game to close it because of that UI layout.

Originally posted by Revy106
    Boring game enough said lol 

How far did you get? just wondering as these other posters say it gets better later on just trying to see the facts but I got the feeling after about two hours

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

It's funny, I actually keep forgtting that Defiance costs money; it feels very much like a F2P... certainly not worth $60 given the extensive cash shop and DLC. I guess if you want a persistent world FPS (with PvE) then it's better than anything else out there... but that really isn't saying much.

Originally posted by acidblood

It's funny, I actually keep forgtting that Defiance costs money; it feels very much like a F2P... certainly not worth $60 given the extensive cash shop and DLC. I guess if you want a persistent world FPS (with PvE) then it's better than anything else out there... but that really isn't saying much.

Yea I agree it just doesn't feel like a AAA budget game probably because of the consolized restrictions like the UI and such but I will say the game performs well being that it'll run on 360 and ps3 and theres not too many bugs that I atleast encountered other then you can fall from 2,000 feet and take zero fall dmg to me thats silly

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Once it goes completely F2P (which will probably happen very soon after the TV-show starts) I might spend a few hours messing around with it. Or not.

Freeloaders will ruin this game, once it goes totally f2p then I'll be the first to quit 

Originally posted by sancher36

Freeloaders will ruin this game, once it goes totally f2p then I'll be the first to quit 

Not sure it'll go completely f2p but I can see the game going on sale after a couple of months of launch then I may take a look into getting it as that beta didn't make me want to spend 60 dollars thats for sure

Not sure it'll go completely f2p but I can see the game going on sale after a couple of months of launch then I may take a look into getting it as that beta didn't make me want to spend 60 dollars thats for sure

I suggest you look at price trends for all games that get sold in the stores. They all go down in price as the title gets older so really your point is what??

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I doubt it's going to go F2P in the future like some are stating as though it's fact, but the fact remains, the game does not look like it's worth 60 bucks to me, so I am in complete agreement with the title of this thread.  Steam Summer sale, I'm counting on you lol
    A lot of people on these forums also said that rift would go f2p just after launch, trion's other game. Still they are making money on that game and subscriptions still there. 

I suggest you look at price trends for all games that get sold in the stores. They all go down in price as the title gets older so really your point is what??

My point is the game in its current state isn't worth 60 bucks lol thats the entire point of the thread unless someone can show me something awesome I missed its a 20 dollar game to me tbh I've played some f2p mmos that have more features and things to do

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My point is the game in its current state isn't worth 60 bucks lol thats the entire point of the thread unless someone can show me something awesome I missed its a 20 dollar game to me tbh I've played some f2p mmos that have more features and things to do

You're paying for a show tie-in or something.