Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was awful, I tried but couldn't take it anymore

Comments

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    wow i was just thinking of downloading, altho i still have other things to kill time on.....hmmmm....nvm then

hallo ~_~

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Dubsoul

I want a Neverwinter Nights 3 now!

Alright I'm done.

I pretty much have the same opinion as yours. I was hugely dissappointed because I hoped for a game like DDO. Well even a watered down DDO is ok but the dungeon is not even close to the DDO dungeons. Which is why I have all my hopes on the foundry. Second problem is indeed the customization. I feel like the same as every other rogue. Nothing special at all.

If you are D&D fan and are looking something like DDO/NWN 1/2 you will be disappointed. I really really wanted to like NW.

Originally posted by NetSage
    Just some quick first impressions told me it's decent.  While I agree with a lot of your flaws and there are a good amount of bugs left I think they did some nice things.  I can't wait to see how the foundry system plays out and with being f2p well you have nothing but time to see how it improves.

You should try the game. Altough it cant be compared with quality mmo. (Too simplified and not much options for character creation) It is OK if you are into fast, console like hack and slash and a game which can keep you busy while you wait for other mmo/games. Just dont expect any deep/complex gameplay.

This game is also not bad if you have never played mmo before and just want a simple mmo to begin with. But any mmo veteran wont even glance at this game.

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I dont know if I've been spoiled by GW2 but this game really does suck. Immersion is awful. I never judge a game by graphics but they are nothing great, just standard mmo generic. I found the zones/cities to just really put me off even more. I was hoping this game would be decent, had no expectations whatsoever. Also the combat is very stale imo.
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by VitaminK
    I dont know if I've been spoiled by GW2 but this game really does suck. Immersion is awful. I never judge a game by graphics but they are nothing great, just standard mmo generic. I found the zones/cities to just really put me off even more. I was hoping this game would be decent, had no expectations whatsoever. Also the combat is very stale imo.

Well that's an opinion alright. Good thing it is not fact.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Neverwinter is going to flop worse then Vanguard. I can't stand Tera but theres pretty much no reason anyone should play Neverwinter over it. This is one of the most linear, limited games ever which is a travesty considering it has the D&D title.
  • Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

I'm fine with the graphics, the power supply on my main rig died yesterday so I booted it up on my laptop whick only has a Quadro 1600m gpu. Suprisingly it does a great job of running it.

The combat reminds me somewhat of Daggerdale which is not too bad for action combat. I'm not too pleased with the classes and abilities, being a fan of the P&P games and earlier rulesets but I can appriceate it for what it is. I can always play DDO if I want deep character progression.

The story is my favorite part so far as it follows along with Salvatore's Neverwinter series, many who've never read the books won't appreiceate it as much as I do. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I've barely scratched the surface of the foundary, but I've come across some interesting quests so far.

I haven't tryed the pvp or dungeons yet so I can't comment on them.

It's going to be free to play for what that's worth so none will be out too much to try it out upon release. The way people have been tearing it down you'd swear that it was a P2P release from a company known for putting out qualtiy titles (Cryptic.) So far (and maybe it's because I didn't follow it too closely) it's everything that I expected. I got a taste of what was coming by playing Daggerdale ( put out by Atari before the Cryptic/PWI aquisition.)

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

its beta. I haven't got into beta so i can't say one way or another if is fun. That said beta doesn't mean pre play to get a trial of game. Its to find bugs and fix them

Most graphics are stand in until the final stages when they update the graphics. Most companies don't put in the final graphics until like a month or so before release. 

Im sorry but again its a beta. U have invisible mobs. Weird animations, stuck in space, Floating in air while u walk., Getting stuck mdi jump , finding these and killing them is what beta is alla bout. Judging a game purely on beta is ridiculous. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by kalinis

its beta. I haven't got into beta so i can't say one way or another if is fun. That said beta doesn't mean pre play to get a trial of game. Its to find bugs and fix them

Most graphics are stand in until the final stages when they update the graphics. Most companies don't put in the final graphics until like a month or so before release. 

Im sorry but again its a beta. U have invisible mobs. Weird animations, stuck in space, Floating in air while u walk., Getting stuck mdi jump , finding these and killing them is what beta is alla bout. Judging a game purely on beta is ridiculous. 

That might be true for early beta but when they start handing out 100k keys for a weekend....you're not there to find basic bugs. You're there to try the game and they are stress testing the servers. The types of bugs you're talking about should be long gone by that point.

I'm sure this game will have a following but there is nothing special about the game play at all.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Played a session, and didn't care to go back.  I do not like the UI setup, mapped keys, but still disliked it.  Wizard felt kind of bland, not my thing I guess.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

i played also last night and i agree with OP in most cases. The least i was annoyed was graphics. I can stand them, but the rest was huge dissapointment. I know that game is what it is, but i think  its too little for a 2013 game, whatever this means.

btw its f2p, thats something :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by kalinis

There are probably still some beta keys available from here. Check out the banner if you're interested. Just a heads up if you want to check it out. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Also a long time fan of D&D / Forgotten Realms Neverwinter Nights, fan of the D&D Table Top experience and the books etc...

I did not feel like I just experienced a Forgotten Realms setting.

So, back to Skyrim?

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

The OP's opinion is his opinion he can say it sucks dick for all I care but as long as he doesn't spread misinformation i'll respect his opinion. The only advice I would give you is not to judge fully on a beta as things still need fine tuning.  Additonally I recommend playing the game past level 10 as the combat mechanics and system change a bit due to the "tab special ability"  which changes how the class plays by improving it throudh damage, mitiagation etc,  but definitely makes it more fun and changes up the pacing and how you fight enemies.   Another thing is the initial very early enemies are very simple, as you progress the enemies get a lot more challenging and are layered with purpose and chosen roles which makes battle situations a lot more strategic (whomever did the grouping, AI and layering of enemies, understood the difference between Core Gameplay and Map Gameplay and was able to use that to compliment an already strategic battles)   

Also you're missing out on Events that run hourly throughout the day which really changes the quest pacing and makes it more enjoyable as well.   They range from skirmishes (defending, assualting bases to low level PVP domination and of course the best kind the User based Questing which I've seen some very non linear creations which shows that this game has high potential to be fun and if users are willing there will be a ton of innovative and creative missions to play )

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I think another reason i can enjoy it so much is because i've never played any previous Neverwinter games. But at the same time i've played other games that were completely changed up in sequels that i thought were great so i dunno, Dungeon Siege 3 for example which i think is incredible.

Also ALWAYS try a game for yourself. I read opinions and reviews all the time and almost never agree with what people think about a game. I loved the living crap out of Bullestorm and Brink and many, many other games that people seemed to hate. 

This is the most fun i've had playing a healer class since Scarlet Blade. haha I love healing in all games but this one so far has allowed me freedom to also be a decent damage dealer at the same time which is what i've always wanted. I hope it stays that way in the later levels.

I still havent gotten far enough on the cleric in Tera but that one seems cool also, its just a bit grindy so i havent put a lot of time in it yet still.

I must completely disagree about the combat in Neverwinter being slow, i mean thats just insane, it is definitely not slow. =p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Im a D&D fan, Ive read many forgoten realms book's (Salvatore mostly) and i play MMOS so i was excited about Neverwinter.

Sadly i have to agree with the OP on this one, after playing for an hour i was embaresed for this game. I absolutly did not like the introduction I was given. So non imersive done this 500 times crap. Opening scene Washed up on a shipwrek in HOW MANY MMO"s now (Seriously..DDO, Tera, Conan off the top of my head) Idk what i wanted from this game was imersive forgoten realm's story telling, and after an hour it was clear thats not happening.

Edit: I probably had unfair expectations but that comes with using an IP like forgoten realms. sadly the fps style UI did not agree with me either.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Bookah

Im a D&D fan, Ive read many forgoten realms book's (Salvatore mostly) and i play MMOS so i was excited about Neverwinter.

Sadly i have to agree with the OP on this one, after playing for an hour i was embaresed for this game. I absolutly did not like the introduction I was given. So non imersive done this 500 times crap. Opening scene Washed up on a shipwrek in HOW MANY MMO"s now (Seriously..DDO, Tera, Conan off the top of my head) Idk what i wanted from this game was imersive forgoten realm's story telling, and after an hour it was clear thats not happening.

again not that I care much to convince you to play again but really? really?  basing your whole experience on the initial area that isn't even part of the main world.  That pretty terrible man.  Good luck on finding any good mmos.  Which also makes me think that you didn't really play the game since it took you an hour to get "through" the first area.    FYI you can create levels in this game and there are some hardcore level builders who love buidling immersive stories and this is also your chance to create as well since you think the story telling is horrendous, why don't you try creating something yourself, instead of wating for the devs to create something that probably won't ever fit your criteria.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I assumed they are using their old engines.

The graphics, animation and feels for the game seems to me that they spend very little money on it.

They even have players making their own content for them, lol.

Based on this assumptions, Cryptic is going to make lot of money with this MMO.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Everyone who says something like "dated graphics" is always unning the 1500 dollar video rig, max settings, eleven monitors lalalala--ever notice?

When it reaches this point, I just stop reading them entirely. Video-peen Online E-Cred Validation desperation in the GPU arena must be really, really expensive to maintain.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by xmenty

The graphics, animation and feels for the game seems to me that they spend very little money on it.

The foundary actually fits in this game more so than any other. The players of PNP D&D have been creating their own dungeons and campaigns for years, that's why the lore and story of Faerun is so deep. In a way they've given the players a sandbox of sorts, and it doesn't interfere with the main story of the game.

Many here have been wanting player driven content for a long time. If nothing else developers should take note of the foundary system and try to expand on it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by xmenty

From what I've read, the Foundry was always a staple of the series... and this is the first time I think I've seen player-generated content looked at in a bad light.  It's not their content, it's the players' content, if they make money off of something other games should aspire to, then they deserve every penny.  Maybe some people are getting tired of every MMO following only the direction the devs had in mind.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by keithian

So I went in thinking I want to help, its beta, keep your expectations low. I haven't been following this really at all. All I can say is that I played for about 3 hours, got to level 7, and I realize that many will say the real game opens up at X level, but this has to be one of the most boring and painful starts to a game since I tried Aion and couldn't take it anymore by level 10. 

The Graphics were horrible. I mean, seriously, I realize its beta, but at the same time this is 2013...the game looks to me worse than LOTRO or games 6+ years old. The water looked terrible. 

The combat was a little new to me and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out Ill never get my cursor like Im used to in other games lol, but once I got the hang of it, it was OK, but nothing whatsoever that had me saying "wow, combat is fun".

Character customization was OK, better than games like TOR and if it stopped at this point I would give the game a decent grade.

Questing felt like a huge step backwards and as a lover of PVE, I was bored to death.

The voiceovers are welcome, but when the mouth moves out of sync with what they are saying, its not very immersing. This can be excused for a beta.

Animations, well, average at best.

After playing to level 48 in SWTOR and to the end of Guild Wars 2, I just can't go backwards with games like this. For both of those games, at least the beginning, I was immediately drawn in. With this game, it just felt so irrelevant. Nothing pulled me in. I mean, in GW2, I ran around marveling at the graphics, especially the cities, just so beautiful..of course by the end of the game when I realized nothing was in them to do my opinion changed,,,,but thats another story lol.

Ok, back to playing Skyrim since no MMO has me right now. Thanks for the beta, but god, what were they thinking?

PS I did report one bug of continually being hit with nothing on the screen...so I did my duty lol.

I don't quite understand why people think the newest and most hardcore graphics make a game. People need to understand the art style that a developer is going for. While yes I must agree some of the character models and animations are a bit off the overall look of the game is top notch while allowing lower end PC's play aswell. But, I suppose you can't always please the masses.

I like the voice overs, and was quite surprised when I heard them in the game. It's not like SWTOR who was gloating that they spent millions of dollars for this "super story line with grade A voice acting" then people play it and it only amounts to a half-assed piece of crap with second rate voice acting.

This game is exactly what it is when you think D&D Neverwinter. You're going be be playing a dungeon crawler right from the start. I don't think you should expect more than when dungeon crawling is what they're going for.

On a side note, I can't believe many people think that GW2 is a top notch game with beautiful graphics. I can completely understand if one was talking about TERA Online. Because TERA is top notch with its graphics design. GW2 is a slight upgrade from the original with A LOT of reoccuring textures everywhere. The zones blur together and become obnoxious and empty the further you go. If I remember properly around level 40-50 you started to treck through the same ugly and dead zones repasted over and over again up until level 80.

Overall, I'm loving the game. Because, I knew what to expect from a D&D game. Which was dungeon crawling at its finest. So I'm quite pleased with the overall product of the game and I can't wait to see the foundry content players are going to produce as well.

I don't understand why some people think that having the same graphics expectation from 2003 is acceptable in 2013 (I mean, do people really keep their PCs from then to play these games?), nor can I undestand why people can't read the entire post before making it sound as if the ONLY reason why it was unpleasing was due to the antiquated graphics. What I will agree with is that again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and IMO, the graphics in GW2 was far superior to this game (never played Tera) and the voiceovers in SWTOR was much much better than this game. Who cares about the budget...I mean..it didn't come out of my bank account. What I care about is the end product....though in all fairness this is beta.

There Is Always Hope!

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

As many have said, I saw the games appearance as mostly a DDO + LotRO meld (heavy on the DDO side). I have a higher end rig and didn't think the graphics themselves were bad, pretty clean overall but the 'models' were dated and not to my liking.

The quests have been picked over. Not hugely difficult and very linear. Some of the combat can be entertaining but not (for me) over any length of time. In addition, while I was watching the early previews particularly of grouped combat the areas of combat with all the target rings and cones (especially for the ranged AoE attacks) seemed very 'busy'. (I use the word busy lightly. I seemed more like chaotic and visually distracting.) Having experienced it, it's even more so 'in person'.

I didn't buy any of the Packs, though initially I was inclined to. I had watched a few early video reviews and thought that while it was Beta, it's pretty LATE beta and not a lot would be changed. Given the recent  HUGE increase in the rewards when you buy the Packs, I suspect their sales aren't going as planned (most companies don't dangle a carrot then a few weeks later dangle 3 carrots unless the bites aren't occurring).

The foundry might be the saving grace of this game, not sure. I have no idea what the 'making money' point is on this game but I do know I won't be contributing toward their collections. I don't think I would even leave this on my PC to log in once in a while and just poke around. Not surprised at my overall feeling really just slightly disappointed that 2 new games passed by (passed by me) with barely a whisper. (NWN and Defiance).

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Digna

As many have said, I saw the games appearance as mostly a DDO + LotRO meld (heavy on the DDO side). I have a higher end rig and didn't think the graphics themselves were bad, pretty clean overall but the 'models' were dated and not to my liking.

The quests have been picked over. Not hugely difficult and very linear. Some of the combat can be entertaining but not (for me) over any length of time. In addition, while I was watching the early previews particularly of grouped combat the areas of combat with all the target rings and cones (especially for the ranged AoE attacks) seemed very 'busy'. (I use the word busy lightly. I seemed more like chaotic and visually distracting.) Having experienced it, it's even more so 'in person'.

I didn't buy any of the Packs, though initially I was inclined to. I had watched a few early video reviews and thought that while it was Beta, it's pretty LATE beta and not a lot would be changed. Given the recent  HUGE increase in the rewards when you buy the Packs, I suspect their sales aren't going as planned (most companies don't dangle a carrot then a few weeks later dangle 3 carrots unless the bites aren't occurring).

The foundry might be the saving grace of this game, not sure. I have no idea what the 'making money' point is on this game but I do know I won't be contributing toward their collections. I don't think I would even leave this on my PC to log in once in a while and just poke around. Not surprised at my overall feeling really just slightly disappointed that 2 new games passed by (passed by me) with barely a whisper. (NWN and Defiance).

I know your feel. I was also expecting DDO kind of depth in terms of dungeons/character creation. While the combat is fun/flashy, the simplicity WILL kick in after like 15 levels. The novelty wears off and it becomes dull/tedious.

The dungeon lacks the variety the DDO ones have. But I also played some of the foundry quests. It brings the game one big step closer to a varied dungeon crawler. But not quite on par with DDO. I will come back a few weeks/months after launch and see what creative players have achieved in the meantime.

I still have hope. The foundry can be great, actually it has to be, so it can compensate the many flaws NW has.

In a nutshell the combat/dungeon/character is like checkers but Im hoping for a deeper/complex chess game.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    It's mindless fun for me, entertaining for 1-2 hours once a week maybe. I play MMO's for character progression, and this one seems really weak on that aspect. I've only played for 10 levels but I have a strong "lack of meaning" feeling. Instances, two-three abilities to use, dodge the red circle on the ground... no strong background story, seems like you're not part of anything... rewards in terms of gear with +2 resistance, +3 regeneration, +5 power... I'm soooo bored of this model.