Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is Hype killing last MMO games?

RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

MMOrpg games are beeing announced years before launch, people hype so much with screens and some videos and then the game fail so much.. Are we expecting too much nowdays from a mmorpg game? Is that the problem? expecting too much from a game when we are waiting for a release?

Could a game developed in silence and only announced on beta test or 1 month before launch have better aceptance?

Comments

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

Being a bad game kills most games, hype or no. I try not to get into the hype that big time releases generate anymore, but sometimes its hard not to.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's the people swallowing the PR talk hook, line, and sinker. Then throwing money at these companies.

B2P anyone? Box sales on digital copies? Hype is all a company needs now a days.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

It's not hype that kills a game. Its the game failing in many ways to meet the hype that kills it. Nearly every MMO released in the past several years has had several, if not all, of the following problems:

Missing content - stuff that is promised by the devs but either doesnt make it into the game until months later, or simply never makes it in (ie: 6 capital cities in war)

Broken content / features

Horrible balancing between classes (especially in games that are advertised as heavily PvP focused)

Lack of any decent amount of communication from the devs

Extensive server stability problems

Bugs going unfixed for months, sometimes years

Rehashing of the same content that exists in dozens of other games. No originality whatsoever. Just the same game in a different skin.

We are not expecting too much. The devs / publishers are expecting us to expect much less from a product we buy. All of the things listed above should be either nonexistant or occuring much more rarely. There is nothing wrong with the customers actually expecting a properly working product with all of the features that were advertised by the creators.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

In defense of GW2 it is far from dead

It helps a lot that it is b2p tho

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Hype is a major problem in MMOs...Every day I see games being hyped that aren't even due to be released for a couple of years, and you know the people hyping it haven't even played it yet.
  • pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    That's not the issue for me. For me the issue is people like you who constatly flag almost every MMORPG that came out after WoW as fail. Just because they don't maintain the constant subs of WoW quality does not mean that that MMORPG failed. If an MMORPG failed, then they would shut their servers down and stop their operation.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Personally I think MMOs get too much interest, I was fine with the CORPG, Guildwars, I think companies need to stop aiming so high and try to get games like dungeon crawlers and small time CO-OP RPGs right before trying to scale it out to the grand and honestly dangerous MMO market...

I mean, when even Blizzard can't get their famous dungeon crawler right, there's something greatly missing. I'd say something like Elder Scrolls is a great progression from good RPG to MMO... But the developer and designers are not the same...

Seriously, they need to stop for a second and try to just get a combat system right with infinitely renewable non-progression related enjoyable gameplay right before they try to combine it with the 500 other elements of an MMO...

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

MMOrpg games are beeing announced years before launch, people hype so much with screens and some videos and then the game fail so much.. Are we expecting too much nowdays from a mmorpg game? Is that the problem? expecting too much from a game when we are waiting for a release?

Could a game developed in silence and only announced on beta test or 1 month before launch have better aceptance?

That is called Marketing^...   something most companies need to do when their product has no feet.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's the people swallowing the PR talk hook, line, and sinker. Then throwing money at these companies.

B2P anyone? Box sales on digital copies? Hype is all a company needs now a days.

Who are throwing money at companies? Most MMOs are going F2P. It is more like it is more and more difficult to attract paying customers.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

When your games cost as much to make as a Hollywood blockbuster, you can bet the backers want to get their money back.   Thus the PR monsters are released upon us. 

However many are guilty of seeing that vagure game description as finally being the perfect one.  Disappointment can follow.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I don't think hype is killing the games, though overhyping is becoming the norm and hence people are often unhappy with the product because they imagined so much more.

Free to play isn't killing games, nor is it a sign that gaming is in decline (or that the MMO genre is), free to play is merely the next step in monetising the player base of MMO games.

In all honesty none of the recent MMOs have really failed, most are very profitable.  Not WoW profitable I agree, but they don't need to be for it to be a success.  MMOs seem to be getting more and more popular, even with WoWs recent decline (as there are now a LOT more MMOs than ever before ticking away).  Even WAR (which most people say is an utter failure) has a healthy core playerbase and is making money.

I just think it's more people labeling games they are unhappy with or didn't reach the lofty heights of Blizzard's behemoth.  I honestly don't think another game will reach WoWs level of popularity for quite some time to come, I don't think anyone honestly does.

The bigger problem is that too many games feel too similar.  The 'AAA' MMO genre seems to be playing too safe for fear of not making money and as such feels like it's stagnating.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Fanboi's are killing games because devs think they made the best games ever due to these idiots uptalking a game into oblivion. Any constructive critism is more often then not overwhelmed by the waves of fanboi's in denial. In this sites case, the forum mods are the some of the biggest offenders.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Just look at Camelot Unleashed.  People know NOTHING AT ALL about it, but that's all people talk about on the forums.  The web page for the game gives nothing but a few nebulous concepts and from all accounts, not one line of code has even been written.

The game is, at least. two years away and people are slobbering all over themselves about it.  With that kind of hype it could never possibly live up to the standards that people have built it up in their own minds.

Yes, hype is absolutely killing the market.  I think companies should shut their doors and their mouths about a game until it's in open beta and that open beta should be weeks prior to release unless major changes need to be made.  This whole hyping a game up for four-five years before release is just shooting themselves in the foot.

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by bcbully

True. Why we continue to get the same regurgitated garbage over and over.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    How many MMOs came out lately which were not hyped but became great games ? None. Hype or no hype is not killing MMO games. It's the at best mediocre development that kills them.
  • ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Anthur
    How many MMOs came out lately which were not hyped but became great games ? None. Hype or no hype is not killing MMO games. It's the at best mediocre development that kills them.

Also true. But it doesn't help when peopel jump at all of them without a bit of research, or waiting a bit to see what reviews from game critic site's and players alike have to say about them.