Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That was awful, I tried but couldn't take it anymore

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

So I went in thinking I want to help, its beta, keep your expectations low. I haven't been following this really at all. All I can say is that I played for about 3 hours, got to level 7, and I realize that many will say the real game opens up at X level, but this has to be one of the most boring and painful starts to a game since I tried Aion and couldn't take it anymore by level 10. 

The Graphics were horrible. I mean, seriously, I realize its beta, but at the same time this is 2013...the game looks to me worse than LOTRO or games 6+ years old. The water looked terrible. 

The combat was a little new to me and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out Ill never get my cursor like Im used to in other games lol, but once I got the hang of it, it was OK, but nothing whatsoever that had me saying "wow, combat is fun".

Character customization was OK, better than games like TOR and if it stopped at this point I would give the game a decent grade.

Questing felt like a huge step backwards and as a lover of PVE, I was bored to death.

The voiceovers are welcome, but when the mouth moves out of sync with what they are saying, its not very immersing. This can be excused for a beta.

Animations, well, average at best.

After playing to level 48 in SWTOR and to the end of Guild Wars 2, I just can't go backwards with games like this. For both of those games, at least the beginning, I was immediately drawn in. With this game, it just felt so irrelevant. Nothing pulled me in. I mean, in GW2, I ran around marveling at the graphics, especially the cities, just so beautiful..of course by the end of the game when I realized nothing was in them to do my opinion changed,,,,but thats another story lol.

Ok, back to playing Skyrim since no MMO has me right now. Thanks for the beta, but god, what were they thinking?

PS I did report one bug of continually being hit with nothing on the screen...so I did my duty lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• arche22arche22 Member UncommonPosts: 12

I'm afraid you lost all credibility at "Graphics are horrible". Either your settings were wrong, or you are intentionally misleading people.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by arche22

I'm afraid you lost all credibility at "Graphics are horrible". Either your settings were wrong, or you are intentionally misleading people.

i'd say the areas to me look good but some of the character models are pretty horrid.. for example most female models look very "off" and running up stairs looks very akward.. the running animations look bad especially on the females as it seems they used the same exact running animation for the male and female models and it looks like it was designed for large brutish type characters and just doesn't work with the females. Overall graphics are decent for me nothing great but very passable.. just needs some serious work on the female models basic animations imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by keithian

So I went in thinking I want to help, its beta, keep your expectations low. I haven't been following this really at all. All I can say is that I played for about 3 hours, got to level 7, and I realize that many will say the real game opens up at X level, but this has to be one of the most boring and painful starts to a game since I tried Aion and couldn't take it anymore by level 10. 

The Graphics were horrible. I mean, seriously, I realize its beta, but at the same time this is 2013...the game looks to me worse than LOTRO or games 6+ years old. The water looked terrible. 

The combat was a little new to me and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out Ill never get my cursor like Im used to in other games lol, but once I got the hang of it, it was OK, but nothing whatsoever that had me saying "wow, combat is fun".

Character customization was OK, better than games like TOR and if it stopped at this point I would give the game a decent grade.

Questing felt like a huge step backwards and as a lover of PVE, I was bored to death.

The voiceovers are welcome, but when the mouth moves out of sync with what they are saying, its not very immersing. This can be excused for a beta.

After playing to level 48 in SWTOR and to the end of Guild Wars 2, I just can't go backwards with games like this. For both of those games, at least the beginning, I was immediately drawn in. With this game, it just felt so irrelevant. Nothing pulled me in. I mean, in GW2, I ran around marveling at the graphics, especially the cities, just so beautiful..of course by the end of the game when I realized nothing was in them to do my opinion changed,,,,but thats another story lol.

Ok, back to playing Skyrim since no MMO has me right now. Thanks for the beta, but god, what were they thinking?

PS I did report one bug of continually being hit with nothing on the screen...so I did my duty lol.

+1, even down to the reporting of invisible mob.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

...they are not horrible, but very dated for a new game that is coming out in 2013 for sure.  I have a 2GB video card 16gb ram AMD Pheom six core processor....all was running at max settings.

It might be fun for the foundry system, but this game will not be winning any awards for their graphics for sure.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    You summed up my opinion pretty spot on, although I thought the graphics were okay and wouldn't have had an issue with them if I found the game remotely fun.  Yeah and the invisible mobs too.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The game is a good game for what it is.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Mannish
    The game is a good game for what it is.

I agree.  And I did think 'wow, the combat is fun'.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

[mod edit]

My specs are as follows:

MALIBAL Nine X7200 (7280)
    Triple Channel 12GB 12288MB PC3-8500/1066 MHz| Intel Core i7 990X | Dual NVIDIA GTX 580M |250 GB Intel 510 Sata III 6GB/sec| 8X Multi DVD |WIndows 7 Home Premium |Intel 6300 Ultimate 802.11 | IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound

I had everything on high settings and I have a fantastic Alienware monitor.

In my opinion, the graphics are extremely dated..which in my mind means horrible.

There Is Always Hope!

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Just some quick first impressions told me it's decent.  While I agree with a lot of your flaws and there are a good amount of bugs left I think they did some nice things.  I can't wait to see how the foundry system plays out and with being f2p well you have nothing but time to see how it improves.
  • wozawoza Member UncommonPosts: 21

After playing to level 48 in SWTOR and .......

Wait, what?

You played SWTOR to practically the end and it didn't feel like a step backwards?

Wow, either you haven't played many MMOs or Neverwinter is a really really bad game.  I believe the former just because my arse could make a better game than SWTOR after a big night on the curry.  Neverwinter can't possibly be worse than it.

Originally posted by woza

After playing to level 48 in SWTOR and .......

Wait, what?

You played SWTOR to practically the end and it didn't feel like a step backwards?

Wow, either you haven't played many MMOs or Neverwinter is a really really bad game.  I believe the former just because my arse could make a better game than SWTOR after a big night on the curry.  Neverwinter can't possibly be worse than it.

No, because SWTOR, though copying much from WOW..and though it needs an injection of life...took what everyone raved about (Age of Conan Tortage) and raised the bar on that experience 10 fold throughout the entire game. Eventually yes I got bored of that game, but from a PVE perspective/story telling where one no longer accepts a wall of text for a quest, it was a step forward. Regardless, I'm not here to defend a game Im not playing.

PS I said I played SWTOR to level 48, not end level, so there lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

Under most circumstances I would give a game a serious try but I felt nothing after an hour so called it quits.

Nothing and I mean nothing hooked me.

Also, I am not a graphics snob but honestly for 2013 the game looks bad.

GTX 570, everything maxed and it would have looked acceptable for a game launching in 2008/9 not 2013.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I've only played for about 45 min to an hr and my only real complaint so far is no zoom,I mean wtf,that's a feature in mostly all the new game's.Let me get closer or farther with the camera.

I also agree with Aero and the female running animation's.They look like a male warrior's run,need some variety here.

On the graphic's I set mine to high and noticed it was at 100%.The thing is I was able to take it to 200% if I want (world detail and I believe character detail also).I put my world detail at 150% and the game look's pretty good to me.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    It sounds like your biggest gripe is story telling.  While I agree a great story is awesome.  But, well that's one of my biggest gripes with gw2.  If they make to in depth for you then well you should just be playing an rpg not an mmo.  Because all it becomes is a singal player game with random people around you.
    Originally posted by NetSage
    It sounds like your biggest gripe is story telling.  While I agree a great story is awesome.  But, well that's one of my biggest gripes with gw2.  If they make to in depth for you then well you should just be playing an rpg not an mmo.  Because all it becomes is a singal player game with random people around you.

No, that was only part of it. It honestly just felt as a whole boring and bland. Its just my opinion. Others may love it. I hope they continue to have fun.

I agree with you about GW2, that was by the end my gripe too, but it kept me to the end only because of the beauty of the world and the fact that I could join in with others at will which I like. It def got old and I wasn't logging in as much on the last 10 levels, but it did keep me to end level.

I also agree with you that for now, there is no MMO that has me catched which is what I wrote in my OP that I'm playing Skyrim. 

Here's hoping that Elder Scrolls Online is a little more interesting (or maybe some dark horse we don't know much about yet). 

There Is Always Hope!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Graphics to me held some charm, maybe nostoligia it just felt "DnD" to me personally. 

Overall it played above my expectations. I really don't see this blind bashing on a game as people are so quick to belittle it and for so many reasons it just seems, stupid? I really don't know a better term for it. The core mechanics of the game are solid and its over-design is actually quite entertaining, far more then I ever expected. The combat is to my opinion is really good, like 'holy crap, I didn't realize it would be that great' good. I expected it would be nice action combat but never that it would paly so well. Given they fix some animations (which I know they did for rogue so its likely) its all that can easily be improved till then a good portion just feels so satisfying for combat.

Perfect? No, but its no where near 'aweful' as the OP pushes it to be. Its actually quite a pleasant surprise to me I actually found it to be a lot better then I expected. The foundry had me interested but the gameplay itself is surprisingly fun, to the point I even can let go (a little) of my gripe about them dumbing down the classes and skimping on some DnD elements.

Honestly its one of the few games in the last few years that really caught my attention as being real entertaining and enjoyable to the point no real flaw holds me back like Tera had manage do with questing. Its not as 'glorious' to me as path of exile (lacking that depth I enjoy) but it did bring me a great sense of thrill for playing it, only to help me feel with the foundry and good developers working on it, it can last a good deal of time in the future.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

Agreed

Right its diferent the nother mmos i played.

CC is horrible for 2013 standards

Agree

Same here

In a nutshell if u dont know what todo for single player games and ur looking for something different, this game is ok, otherwise i suggest to keep playing gw2 or ne other mmo with better graphics/quest system

i give it a 5.5/10

ps

yeah my grammar realy bleeps, english isnt my native language so sue me

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78
    With my computer I can set the graphics to max...  The models are okay (Not super, but okay).  Gameplays is fun, but it has the air of a part-time game, not one I will play 5+ hours a day =P
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    [mod edit]

I personally love the graphics style and the dungeon atmosphere of places like ruins, crypts and even warehouses. But what is even more funny is that I'm recognizing some posters here bashing NWO's graphics as dated, while they are posting in Wildstar forums that they love Wildstar's graphics - that being 7 years old WoW-cloned graphics. xD

[mod edit]

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol I keep seeing people mention the graphics being horrible and i think theyre beautiful considering its an F2P MMO. I can easily admit theyre nothing compared to Bioshock Infinite but i also would not expect such a comparison of graphics.

I've got a few hours played on it also and really like it. =) The targeting system is more simplistic than i was expecting it to be but its still very fun. 

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

Originally posted by monstermmo

lol I keep seeing people mention the graphics being horrible and i think theyre beautiful considering its an F2P MMO. I can easily admit theyre nothing compared to Bioshock Infinite but i also would not expect such a comparison of graphics.

I've got a few hours played on it also and really like it. =) The targeting system is more simplistic than i was expecting it to be but its still very fun. 

I think its good that the graphics meet your standards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. After seeing the game and other recent releases and comparing them to games over 6 years old, I think they are extremely dated. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wish for me I was like you and could tolerate that.

There Is Always Hope!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

So far it seems those that focus on the gameplay offered via PW are disappointed while those that focus on The Foundry aspect are having a blast from all the reviews I have seen.

Which is about what I expected.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

I also had a similar impression from this game. I wanted to like it even though I never played DND. I knew it was a beta and expect problems. I was able to make it to lvl 30 on a thief, and lvl 5 on every other class. In no order:

1. Slow boring combat
    2. bad charater custimaztion and progression.
    3. dated graphics.
    4. Lack luster animations
    5. Very poor Pve interface system of questing.
    6. HORRIBLE absolutly god auffle PVP.
    7. somewhat heavy cash shop (talking about bag space)

My biggest problem is they expect the faundry to be this great system to develope quests. I played over 20-30 different foundry quests (BE2 and BE3), and found them all to be either RP heavy or just kill a bunch of mobs for crappy loot and really the combat felt draggy during the whole experience.

On my thief I had a decent stealth build that I liked out of all the other classes and even then it was not very entertaining playing.

The game felt like it wanted to be a PVE version of League of ledgens where they would just come out with a bunch of classes and make you pay for them in the cash shop probably (pure speculation).

To each their own. These are just my opinion of the product and do not reflect on anyone else who enjoy the game itself.

-Edit: also forgot to add that they dropped HP potions every mob or so and by lvl 30 I had 200+ potions sitting around able to spam any time making no challenge at all in any dungeon.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

[mod edit]

I personally love the graphics style and the dungeon atmosphere of places like ruins, crypts and even warehouses. But what is even more funny is that I'm recognizing some posters here bashing NWO's graphics as dated, while they are posting in Wildstar forums that they love Wildstar's graphics - that being 7 years old WoW-cloned graphics. xD

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

The character customization is really lacking imo. And I understand what you mean with nothing is pulling you into the game. As I find the dungeons are very generic. Tmr I will give the game a last chance. Seems like many people believe the foundry is the saving grace, so I want to see it with my own eyes.

I do hope its good, because the rest of the game can be shit as long as the dungeon is well designed, varied and fun its all fine by me.

• DubsoulDubsoul Member Posts: 1

If anyone who is going to try this game and has played previous Neverwinter Nights titles, you will be highly disappointed. It has to be the most simple of MMO games I have tried. It's not horrible but it isn't challenging and it's DEFINITELY NOT DnD styled. I have a ton of bones to pick with this game after playing for a day, and as I love the previous Neverwinter Nights I WILL keep playing the game just to see how it turns out down the road HOWEVER if you think this game is some epic piece of work you do not have good judge of games. This is a pathetic excuse for a "Neverwinter" MMO coming from the perspective of a huge Neverwinter Nights fan for over 10 years. I still have Neverwinter 1, all the expansions and everything on my computer desk right now and I have Neverwinter 2, which I believe has better graphics than this game, however it is in beta so I won't be critical on the graphics, the last I will say about it is it doesn't look impressive and it doesn't run very well COMPARED to other games with far better graphics on the same (max) settings. BUT IT IS BETA SO ITS COOL. From what I understand ToR didnt have it's good graphics until awhile after actual release.

Alright so here is my biggest issue with this game and any BS that does this.

It uses the title Neverwinter and DnD - Both of which are already games. There is DnD online and the NWN 1/2 games. Both of which have much much more complexity as far as leveling, spells, feats, you name it, it's better and has more of it. So from my stand point I had very high expectations, well not really.. I just expected it to MAYBE be somewhat LIKE DnD OR NEVERWINTER NIGHTS, considering BOTH ARE IN THE ******* TITLE. (I'm very upset over this game if you can not tell).

The mechanics are awful, well maybe not awful.. if you're a 6 year old it's great.. Any monkey could play this game right off the bat. I'm going to have to force myself to push through this game just because I want to see what the story and whatnot is all about because I'm a huge fan of Forgotten Realms, DnD and especially the Neverwinter stories. It has auto aim for one, sweet.. It uses the left and right mouse buttons for the main two attacks, cool, then you get a few others for your 1, 2s, and 3s ect ect.. But either I missed something or there is simply a very limited number of skills you possess to use at any one time. (Again a huge difference from NWN & DnD where you had an entire bar full, and if you were a caster, you had two or three bars of skills)

All in all the game felt like a watered down childs version of GW2.

Next is the classes, if you call them that. They are sad. THe cleric gets some rediculous looking weapon, Sorcerer or "Controll Wizard" gets a little ball that floats over their shoulder, and as far as I have seen thats all you get, one weapon style, lame. Neverwinter and DnD both have many weapons for all classes based on profissions, (Simple, martial, Exotic, ect) This game butchers that entire aspect of both DnD and Neverwinter. There's no mixing it up, no staff wizard, or dagger sorcerer, no dex clerics with monk gloves. This might change later, but it was an instant turn off for me when my cleric couldnt get a mace and a shield as they do in both DnD and Neverwinter.

Rolling - This is just stupid, get rid of it. There is no freaking reason for me to roll 5 times to get the preset stats that are programmed into the game. Give me the 10 or such stat points over the base stats and let me put them where I want. When I build a sorc or a cleric I enjoy have a decent amount of Con so you don't get squished so easy, I rolled about 50 times and my con/dex never went past 12, I assume because it isnt one of the high lighted stats for the class. And when you roll, it isnt completely random, its random presets, you will see the same numbers turning up on the same spots repeatedly, for cleric I just took the set that came up with the highest wis, wiz (Or whatever you can call it) I did Int followed my Cha.

I understand I'm harsh because I have played the other games and I compared this one to them even though this game is totally different for whatever reasons. It's just simple and seems as if it were made for people under the age of 10. It's not advanced like... I dont know.. anything DnD at all is ten thousand times more advanced than this game, (Exaggeration!)

Before anyone goes flipping the eff out on me over this post, go and play NWN 2 at least and you will understand what I mean completely, or try DnD Online, Its a great game, F2P and you can pay sub to unlock the entire game or just buy the parts you want.

As a long time player and fan of DnD and Neverwinter, This game is highly disappointing. If you have played and were a fan of DnD online or Neverwinter Nights, or really any other DnD styled game you will mostly likely feel the same way.

It's very seriously missing that 'character building' concept that DnD is known for. You will not have a long sword/mace/rapier/kama.. anything.. It is absolutely nothing like either DnD or Neverwinter Nights, whatsoever, other than the story/world/tale/setting/ect.

Also I was a big RPer in NWN1, not so much 2, and this game has no aspects for that, which I assume is what.. 90% of the true DnD/NWN crowd.

Last thing, it's not a horrible game. It didn't show me anything unique, new or special. I'm not impressed at all. But it is still entertaining to some extent and I would say give it a shot, especially if you have no expectations and haven't played DnD online or Neverwinter Nights. Also it is a beta, and a rough one right now. As much as I wanted to see this game come out and jump on it I'd be hard pressed to spend any cash on it or play it completely through.

I want a freaking cleric monk with 90AC that runs at the speed of light! (I understand most of you have no idea what that means, hopefully.. someone does)

I want a Neverwinter Nights 3 now!

Alright I'm done.