Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: A Hard Look at Trion’s Gamble

Comments

• metalguy23metalguy23 Member Posts: 90

Tabula Rasa was actually an engaging and interesting game, that only had a badly coded engine and some bad choices in it's design. I actually had fun at first in it and though to myself "damn this can be a great game and it looks nice too". Unfortunately it didn't do well which is a shame because it had a really nice Sci Fi feel to it. Oh well. Sorry but Defiance is nothing but a cash grab it's not going to do well. I wish them well and hope things change since I thought Rift was a very well done game just not my type of game anymore but it's a nice game. Oh well we will see, not really too excited about it. Gameplay is meh, graphics are nice though but sounds, animations and ambiance is way off.  

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    If the show is like the game trailer= ill give it a shot. but so far iam not thrilled wiht their main actors.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Ive played 1.5 hours in beta and actually enjoyed it. It wont be my main MMO and Im not sure Ill even buy it. But shooting mutants and doing missions didnt bore me at all which is surprising (considering I hated both RIFT from same devs and PS2 that is same type of game)
  • ArtmangonArtmangon Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Im active my account on trion site but i dont have any email with downloading game. anyone can put link here? thank
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

I know Trion said that this weekend's test is a beta version and not the full retail game.  All I can say the full retail game will have to be much, much better in all areas on th PC if they want us to stay  with it.

Some things that I seen that gave me heartach in the PC version.

Opening cut scene, the earth ship looks like they were modeling it on Marcross from Robotech.

Major lack of char design choices.  One  is no choice on how the hair looks, both style and color.

Way PC mouse is set up in game makes it very had if not impossible to click on anything else but movement in the game screen mode.

Could not find an exit button on game screen.  Had to go through four ESC screens to find it so I could leave the game.

I find it next to impossible to get to the skill select screen to see/chose skills when I get the skill level up notice.

Yes the music so far stands to be much improved.  So far the in game music dose not seem to fit the mood of the game.

Lastly I find it a problem that there is not auto-run button.

• ciidciid Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Do not buy this shit. It will be free to play or dead in less then 6 months. With the exception of the main story line wich is not a good story you will spend 95% of the time doing the blandest fetch/kill quests mowing down  the same 10 npcs over and over. If you are intrested in the game and must try it please try the beta first. There are way to many good games out there that deserve your time and money over this pile of poop.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Looks ok, but no collision or real driving physics from what the video shows, really what a waste?

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• darqartdarqart Member Posts: 5

I have been playing the alpha for several weeks now. My thought is that with my limited funds i do not see myself buying this game. I have enjoyed playing it and doing my share of bug reporting but i just do not see this as a long term type of game.

game weaknesses.

I have been playing on the PC and has been stated, the UI is awful.

very linear quest story line.

episode missions fun but again, very linear.

secondary missions are very quick, easy and get boring fast.

no player economy.

no crafting.

due to problems with local chat and  lack of global chat i always felt that i was in a single player game.

no reason to replay the game.

very limited character customization.

arkfalls are fun at first but get tedious after doing a few.

game strengths.

vehicles are kinda fun.

going after new outfits is both fun and a grind.

lots of weapons.

terrrain is interesting.

closing: i am not a shooter type of game player. i do enjoy them but i am much more of a rpg kinda guy. I was hoping this game would be more  of a rpg type of game or at least have some elements that i could expect in a mmo but it does not. as a shooter its ok but i had more fun back in the day playing marathon or doom or fear or stalker.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Artmangon
    Im active my account on trion site but i dont have any email with downloading game. anyone can put link here? thank

Try http://update03.triongames.com/ch3-installer/public/beta/DefianceSetup.exe

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Can't believe people don't know how to us alt + f4 to exit the game,did that in most of the mmo's i played.
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

Played the beta on my pc and it ran flawlessly.  I was attempting to "play" the beta on my xbox and there were 5 second delays to nearly every action during quests.  Sometimes a lot longer.  I don't know what's going on there a few people I convinced to sing up to the xbox beta also reported to me that the game is unplayable because the delays to enemies dying, items activating and so forth are so lagged behind.  I waited a good 30 seconds just for my character to dismount his vehicle.  On the computer, it happens immediately.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    This is not an ambitious project at all, it's same old, oh lets not forget everyone can drive through each other! Lame!

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by nttajira

you guys hype bad game amazing like alway , you have make me buy so many shitty game since 2 year ... i will reply because i have play this game in all the beta .

first

1- that in no way , shape or size a mmo game , if you call that a mmo then all shooter game online are also mmo , because most of them are more mmo that defiance , in defiance you pick skill nothing else , are you kidding me for calling that a mmo ??? . you got no item with stats customization , nothing 

2- console GAme , warning WARNING , console port , here you go for update and so on , that not something nice when you play a pc game trust me

3- console UI , the computer ui are the worst you can ever get , all screm CONSOLE .

4- in this game you shoot monster , get exp , pick skill , and kill some player , get some poor done quest , get exp , kill , pick skill , NOTHING ELSE TO DO . also they are no chat channel , you feal like you are playing a single player realy fast ....

hope i have save some money for some people , dont buy into the hype guy !!

Did you even read and comprehend the article?  They listed STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES.  Use your own judgement when purchasing.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
      Played last beta they had. I am not a fps player, but I was not impressed at all from a MMO player view point. The many reasons stated above were also mine. Story lacked interest. Combat was easy. At times (especially with vehicles) the controls felt clunky. I guess coming from Trion and knowing the mess they are making out of Rift I am not surprised. I wish them well, but it was not a game I will be buying.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Pretty good review.  Longevity is also a big concern with me,
  • GressGress Member Posts: 12
    amazed at the difference between the pc and xbox version, had it preordered for the 360 but gonna swap it for the pc version.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

As I understand it the TV show and the game will happen sort of simultaneously. But what about us non Americans? I mean, is Sci-Fi channel putting the TV episodes online? If I get the TV show translated 2 years later it's sort of pointless.

Note: I totally didn't like the foggy background. That looks so unrealistic.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    this and end of nations has me wondering what the heck trion is doing.  hopefully they can right the ship again with archeage.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Perhaps they should have left this as a console only game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

...really saddened by how generic and uninteresting this game feels so far : (  I hope it gets better, but the floaty jumping, boring combat, and simplicity make me feel like this was not intended for PC players.  Even though Rift had a lot of generic aspects to it, it was still fun.  Unfortunately, this is more generic, and so far it is missing the fun.

And oh god the UI.  What was going through their minds...

The lone good point of the game is it feels lag-free as far as the shooting is concerned.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306
    Bah! I was hoping you were able to equip guns and stuff on your vehicles.  They said only in some special instance or something. This suks. It would of been nice had cars had weapons, sort of like Mad max.
    Without any doubt, I'm leaving swtor for this game. Hope its worth it. Swtor is gotten to be all about real cash. Biowares greed.
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

You're getting an MMO at no premium. Guild Wars 2 cost nearly double the price Trion are asking for Defiance. Trion have arguably delivered the better game. As a B2P title, Defiance is an excellent investment for anyone who liked Borderlands/Planetside/etc. It combines the strengths of single player TPS/RPGs with the strengths of MMOs. It doesn't do it amazingly, but it does it well enough that it is a thoroughly enjoyable game. 

Wow! Everyone is killing this game. I hadn't read the posts on top til now. Is it really this bad? I did read where someone said people are spewing hate cause it's not like wow. WoW sucks! Anyway, Ill try it out since I'm quitting swtor.
    Can anyone play the beta this wkend?