Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: A Hard Look at Trion’s Gamble

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Senadina

Trion did add an easily identifiable exit button after the first beta weekend. And I agree that the UI is less than desirable, but not a game killer for me.

I kinda like the no fall damage. While completely unrealistic, it makes my sloppy driving far less frustrating when I don't have to worry about careening off a cliff. Just put the pedal to the metal and go, kinda like bumper cars.

I really like finding quests while exploring in the world, a la TSW. It just feels more organic to me than a quest "hub".

I HATE the lack of character customization. I know I'm gonna cover up with a helmet at some point but, as an MMO player, I want an attachment to my toon. Hard for me to do when my toon looks like ass. And they have SIX alien races in the world of Defiance but we can only play ONE???  Way to milk the DLC Trion. But like Bill said, there is NO reason to create an alt, so by the time they offer more races I will have no need for them.

ah- nice honest review. wish i read it earlier- good point on the character creation- and alien races...this just feels rushed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

oh iam currious abt these dynamic events when finished killing the main boss how is loot shared?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Just watched the live covereage- this morning went hoem for lunch, logged in to create a character and get a name.

first impression :

was very dissapointed in character creation- is it THAT LIMITED do to beign a beta a  week from launch?=really?...ok.

similar noses lips and skin tones= this looked rushed to me (sorry iam a graphic artist=details count first for me!!!).one hair style for the alien? wow.-i know this isnt House style barbie. but come on-are all aliens gonna look the same if they dont wear a helmet? or goggles?..i dunno, i just landed on my capsule iam goin to recreate a character again tonght and see if i weas just rushing things-

on a good note- the terrain looks pretty cool!

You must have missed the other tabs, cause there was definitely more than one hairstyle for aliens lol.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Krellen

Played a couple days now in beta on PS3 and will play more over the weekend.  Not sure what to think of game yet.  Shooters usually aren't my thing, but cause of ther MMO aspects and the setting looked cool I wanted to try this.  I have had fun, but I am not sure it will last.  My feeling so far is I would want to play this by not at $60. 

This game looks to me it will be very discounted for box or F2p within a couple months and then just rely on cash shop and DLC.  We will see how weekend goes to see if I will preorder as I want to try this on the PC also.  My guess is I will wait a couple months till it is less expensive.

What is the point of these passive aggressive posts? Every new game that comes out someone always says the typical "oh, it looks neat but I'll probably just wait a couple months until its free or discounted."

Why not just say "I'm really cheap, very bitter, and really I just want to see everything fail. But I also want to pretend like I actually like games still."

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I think the question about what happens if the series is good and the game is not is a good one. I see this game as having some limited success on the console versions, but not much on the PC. Do PC gamers expect more (maybe)? Should the PC version be better or different than the console version, or why bother (probably)? I played one of the beta weekends and I have to agree that the game is really nothing special, especially other than on a console, where the controls work a bit better, and maybe where expectations are not as high. It is a straight port over to PC, however. But for certain, this game is no MMO. It is just a big, average shooter, set to run along side a TV show of the same name. Will it be popular? Perhaps. But a great game by itself, it isn't.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Console players may like it, but it wont be successful on PC. Its just not a very good game.
  • DidelphusDidelphus Member UncommonPosts: 12

Not too concerned about the music. Does anyone listen to game music anymore?

Everyone in my gaming circle listens to game music for about the first 20 minutes of a new game then switch to their own source. Mine is Pandora. Streaming an industrial or Tool station is now my soundtrack for SWTOR, GW2, Borderlands 2, everything I play.

Maybe companies could save money by sponsoring or promoting player run stations instead of producing ingame music that isn't listened to.

Villain Radio in the early days of City of Villains was a great project. They played cool tunes and organized in-game events over Internet radio. Trying Defiance this weekend, and I will probably give the music a short trial, then  it will be killing to the dulcet sounds of Maynard the rest of the weekend.

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Just watched the live covereage- this morning went hoem for lunch, logged in to create a character and get a name.

first impression :

was very dissapointed in character creation- is it THAT LIMITED do to beign a beta a  week from launch?=really?...ok.

similar noses lips and skin tones= this looked rushed to me (sorry iam a graphic artist=details count first for me!!!).one hair style for the alien? wow.-i know this isnt House style barbie. but come on-are all aliens gonna look the same if they dont wear a helmet? or goggles?..i dunno, i just landed on my capsule iam goin to recreate a character again tonght and see if i weas just rushing things-

on a good note- the terrain looks pretty cool!

You must have missed the other tabs, cause there was definitely more than one hairstyle for aliens lol.

ah -ty!!! good to know!..was a bit pift abt it...i knew it had to be a rushed job on my behalph!-ill take my time when i log back on to fully get the game character creation experience!-thanks for the feedback!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Just played the beta for 45 minutes. Well, PLAYED..? I watched 30 minutes of movies and actually played for about 15 minutes and I gotta say that Defiance does look very good. But as a game I think it sucks big time. Why? The 15 minutes I played I felt totally railroaded (themepark comes to mind) and Defiance tries to mix & match MMO play with 3rd person shooter. Not gonna work I think and I fear that this game won't be a great hit. Only reason it might have 2M boxed sales is that it's Buy2Play, but I fear it'll go the same way as GW2 - lots of hype at start buy quickly put aside...

Originally posted by Didelphus

Not too concerned about the music. Does anyone listen to game music anymore?

Everyone in my gaming circle listens to game music for about the first 20 minutes of a new game then switch to their own source. Mine is Pandora. Streaming an industrial or Tool station is now my soundtrack for SWTOR, GW2, Borderlands 2, everything I play.

Maybe companies could save money by sponsoring or promoting player run stations instead of producing ingame music that isn't listened to.

Villain Radio in the early days of City of Villains was a great project. They played cool tunes and organized in-game events over Internet radio. Trying Defiance this weekend, and I will probably give the music a short trial, then  it will be killing to the dulcet sounds of Maynard the rest of the weekend.

in TSW i only listen to their music and atmosphere sounds=its pretty amazing, on Borderlands 2 also..and lets not forget! Real-Xs eveonline!!!!

all great soundtracks!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Reizla

Just played the beta for 45 minutes. Well, PLAYED..? I watched 30 minutes of movies and actually played for about 15 minutes and I gotta say that Defiance does look very good. But as a game I think it sucks big time. Why? The 15 minutes I played I felt totally railroaded (themepark comes to mind) and Defiance tries to mix & match MMO play with 3rd person shooter. Not gonna work I think and I fear that this game won't be a great hit. Only reason it might have 2M boxed sales is that it's Buy2Play, but I fear it'll go the same way as GW2 - lots of hype at start buy quickly put aside...

Well mentioning FPS + MMO mix (assuming your meaning more "RPG" here) Borderlands did extremely well for itself which i feel defiance is taking after. At the same time a FPS MMo really hasn't gone to well over as it has difficulty in exceding to the player base. We all claim we want something new but it ends up we truthfully don't. "To many Fantasy games!" yet we still flock to them. 

I honestly think it has potential... given they fix issues like the glaring UI that is quite iffy to see on the PC. At least with PC it will be a lot easier to patch in and maybe give a PC interface at some point (though I'm sure its possible with consoles as well now) which give it potential to work those kinks out later.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I put in maybe 7-8 hours in the last beta. I rarely say 'bad things' about games but I really disliked this one. Between the interface, the vehicles and the generally (to me) boring quests it was tedious. Once I read that the game will affect the show only in reference (people talking about the 'incident' over there....or maybe character wandering in) I lost all interest.

Using a sniper scope was fun but not enough, by a long shot...(no pun intended)...to ever get me to want to play.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The game is not much different than other shooters.  I wish them luck, but it did not interest me enough to buy it.
  • metalguy23metalguy23 Member Posts: 90

Game is terrible just spent about 4 hours playing and I shook my head the whole time, everything from the gun sounds to the bad AI mob sounds no environment sounds at all. Just really bad game, felt like it was made from a small amateur dev which is surprising. I don't know I need more excitement in a third person shooter type of game. Quests are horribly boring, voices, sounds just not well made, graphics are okay though not bad not great. Oh and UI is terrible how do you exit the game I had to alt tab in windows 8 and quit the process lol. I'm sorry I liked Rift and I do wish Trion the best but I don't like it so not spending the money on this one. Oh well back to single player games I guess. Waiting for something game changing and exciting.

• liquildabliquildab Member Posts: 1

I agree with the above poster (metalguy23) ... It only took me about an hour to realise that this game is not worth my time.

I was sort of excited about this one thinking it would be fun open world shooter type game with some great boss fights etc ... but it just doesn't come close to what a good engrossing MMO should be.

Waiting on something new and fresh.

• Yuk0raYuk0ra Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Lags like hell for me. Am I the only one?
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    The game really doesn't have any staying power, after playing for a bit it really leaves a lot to be desired. I think Trion is doing a decent job on it but I am not sure what is happening on the back end of this but at this moment I can't justify paying $60 for this as I would get more out of playing a regular shooter.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by metalguy23

Game is terrible just spent about 4 hours playing and I shook my head the whole time, everything from the gun sounds to the bad AI mob sounds no environment sounds at all. Just really bad game, felt like it was made from a small amateur dev which is surprising. I don't know I need more excitement in a third person shooter type of game. Quests are horribly boring, voices, sounds just not well made, graphics are okay though not bad not great. Oh and UI is terrible how do you exit the game I had to alt tab in windows 8 and quit the process lol. I'm sorry I liked Rift and I do wish Trion the best but I don't like it so not spending the money on this one. Oh well back to single player games I guess. Waiting for something game changing and exciting.

This is interesting as i thought the very same about the sounds (esp. the weapons lacking the right "kick") and the total absence of overall ambiente.

Overall, the game not even remotely touches the quality work Trion showed with Rift at it's release. It looks and feels like a b-grade 2005 title from a semi-indie studio. And in everything in which it tries to imitate Borderlands, the original is better by a far margin.

If it wasn't attached to a tv-show as a gimmick, which makes people curious by nature, i'm shure no one would give a hoot about Defiance.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Reizla

The only reason Defiance may reach the 2mio boxes mark is because it's getting released on 3 platforms. Taken this into consideration, 2mio would be pretty weak.

But this may always remain speculation, as we know Trion: You will eventually see some sort of a "1mio characters" announcement and not being told about further or solid, PR-free numbers.

• aaradunaaradun Member Posts: 91

This game is goign to fail for and only one reason, this game feels like a single player game because the chat is so horribly bad on PC version that you don't even know if someone standing in front of oyu is talk to you or not.

Porting and using crappy console ui on PC game is sign of doom on your game. Want it or not Console will not be the main base for this game it will be PC. And since pc player playing past the first month if that far, this game is just going to be a total failure.

They should have learned from DCUO, the PC game failed misreably because ui and chat was so horrific at launch. If these guy think the console version is going to sell more then pc one they are in for a rude awakeing. the pc version will barely sell and it will still sell more then all console combined. 

So ya good luck with that, content and gameplay is not enough to keep people playing in this game. The skill are boring and useless, there is no different class so there is no real point to play once you reached capped or near cap.

This game desiginers "SUCK", as lord british would categorize them (But then again lord british sucks too so go figure)

• DidelphusDidelphus Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Have played about three hours now. Having a lot of fun. Did switch to pandora music. Only a few issues so far: no way to take/track multiple missions (means a lot of running back and forth), getting a snipe off after first shot is rough (all shots on you interupt and break zoom), and chat just seems broke (no way to tell if it is local or map or turn off profanity filter).
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

a mmo that isnt a WoW copy? EVERYONE GO BESERK AND SPEW HATE!

• MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Ever since Tabula Rasa had its untimely death ive been looking for a good 3rd person shooter MMO with as much depth and story. None have really even touched Tabula Rasa in those regards except Defiance. Been having alot of fun in this game (alpha and beta) and i cant wait for release!
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

II can honestly say the first beta weekend was a mess with the constant disconects that we all got.  The game was unplayable.  The second beta even it was put the nail in the coffin for me.  The UI out right sucks, end of story. If you are playing on the pc, Bill is right you will hate this game.  In fact on the beta forums there were several threads complaining about the UI.

I will more than likely watch the new show, but with everything that syfy network touches, it will be dead in a couple of years.  I also expect this game will have the numbers that DCUO has, and I will say this I hatd that UI as well, but I like it a lot better than the definace ui. 

What can I say about trion yes total let down. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by erictlewis

II can honestly say the first beta weekend was a mess with the constant disconects that we all got.  The game was unplayable.  The second beta even it was put the nail in the coffin for me.  The UI out right sucks, end of story. If you are playing on the pc, Bill is right you will hate this game.  In fact on the beta forums there were several threads complaining about the UI.I will more than likely watch the new show, but with everything that syfy network touches, it will be dead in a couple of years.  I also expect this game will have the numbers that DCUO has, and I will say this I hatd that UI as well, but I like it a lot better than the definace ui. What can I say about trion yes total let down.  

Yup. And especially at the full $60 box price. I would say wait until the Steam sale in the summer and pay $10, but by then, no one will be playing this thing.
    Originally posted by spawn12345

a mmo that isnt a WoW copy? EVERYONE GO BESERK AND SPEW HATE!

so true, maybe if Defiance was a card game...LOL!