Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are no raids... can you live with that?

Comments

• I know lots of people who hate raids but do them anyway simply because it's the way to get gear in other MMOs. Personally I don't mind the occasional raid, but they're not particularly important to me.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

"How do you tell every player that they’re the saviour of the world in an MMO? It’s a sticky question that many MMOs face, and that few deal with especially well. Tom sat down with game director Matt Firor to find out how Zenimax approach the problem in The Elder Scrolls Online.

“The way we do that in Elder Scrolls Online is there are parts of the game that you just do solo and you just do in a story instance. So the main backbone story of the game, which is your interaction with Molag Bal, one of the Daedric princes, you’re the hero in that story, so you experience that only yourself.”

It’s a familiar technique we’ve seen before in Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and many other MMOs that do their storytelling in carefully choreographed instances."

Does that answer it yet? Or do I need to keep providing quotes from the developers themselves?

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by doodphace

Just want to point out, the only themepark since WoW to release with a sub, and keep enough subscribers to not warrent going FTP (Rift), has ample endgame/raids....me thinks there is some corralation with having a veriaty of endgame content, and keeping playiers...

LOL this. Even if you dont want to raid its good for the game.

haha RIFT:

- 100 servers down to 8 servers in 10 months

- outspoken anti cash shop/anti F2P exec hits the road(like he left EQ2 before that conversion)

- added cash shop even though they were chest poundingly against such things, F2P in asia to "save sliding player numbers" even though they were firebreathing preachers of the true red blooded sub model

-  moving on from RIFT with AA and several f2p/b2p titles coming up, fired bunch of guys and all indications point to SL being the only expansion for a looooong time.

- never give specifics on how the game did, but slash the expansion's price after two weeks on market.

Compared to all other themparks that released without raids, do you not think that its doing better from a subscription standpoint, even givin everything you pointed out??

And what are the other themeparks that release without raids that did worst than Rift? I'm curious, because I only know GW2 doesn't have raids and that game is doing better than Rift going by the server numbers and Anet saying it have been growing in term of population recently.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Although I'm a huge GW2 fan, I do find myself lamenting the lack of challenging group content (in the form of raids of whatever.)  I'm definitely a fan of progressing through hard content with a group and the triumphant feeling of teamwork that comes with it.  Do I think every game needs it though?  No.  Each game needs to have its own identity. 

Posting again for the haters since for me it was the last post on a page.

"How do you tell every player that they’re the saviour of the world in an MMO? It’s a sticky question that many MMOs face, and that few deal with especially well. Tom sat down with game director Matt Firor to find out how Zenimax approach the problem in The Elder Scrolls Online.

“The way we do that in Elder Scrolls Online is there are parts of the game that you just do solo and you just do in a story instance. So the main backbone story of the game, which is your interaction with Molag Bal, one of the Daedric princes, you’re the hero in that story, so you experience that only yourself.

It’s a familiar technique we’ve seen before in Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and many other MMOs that do their storytelling in carefully choreographed instances. "

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

I am really hyped about this game, but if it will indeed include no endgame raid content then I won't ever touch it and neither will nobody I know, because I won't be telling them about the game. And I am one such person out of probably a hundred thousand. Why? Because I am a hardcore gamer and I will be max level in probably less than a week and if it really has no endgame raiding then really I probably will be playing something else a month later and without any new content coming up, will never touch the game again.

If it will have no endgame raiding or just a lack of endgame raid content, it will never see the success it aims for and will go the same path as some of these wowkiller games that had no raid content at release and didn't improve (or had so easy raid content that it wasn't even worth calling raid content).

Age of Conan

Swtor

Rift (rift improved on this after half a year and eventually it became a great game and pretty much was the only rival for world of warcraft)

Gw2

TERA

Aion

hundreds of small titles

There is no question. If they don't add raid content to the game this will be just a "buy at release, quit a month later and tell everybody that it sucks" game. Whatever, I guess good luck to bethesda, seems every big company needs to experience the loss of 70% subsribers themselves after realizing the way mmorpg's and people's mouths work. They could just learn from the past, but nope. Just lets keep doing the same mistake over and over and over again. Lol. Most of you just don't understand it or don't give a shit because you simply don't play a lot of games or just do not think about why games actually fail and lose subscribers. Most of you just want to play a game, without caring about anything else or anyone else, only your own personal fun.

GL to ESO

Originally posted by Vembumees

I am really hyped about this game, but if it will indeed include no endgame raid content then I won't ever touch it and neither will nobody I know, because I won't be telling them about the game. And I am one such person out of probably a hundred thousand.

If it will have no endgame raiding or just a lack of endgame raid content, it will never see the success it aims for and will go the same path as some of these wowkiller games that had no raid content at release and didn't improve (or had so easy raid content that it wasn't even worth calling raid content).

Age of Conan

Swtor

Rift (rift improved on this after half a year and eventually it became a great game and pretty much was the only rival for world of warcraft)

Gw2

hundreds of small titles

There is no question. If they don't add raid content to the game this will be just a "buy at release, quit a month later and tell everybody that it sucks" game. Whatever, I guess good luck to bethesda, seems every big company needs to experience the loss of 70% subsribers themselves after realizing the way mmorpg's and people's mouths work. They could just learn from the past, but nope. Just lets keep doing the same mistake over and over and over again. Lol. Most of you just don't understand it or don't give a shit because you simply don't play a lot of games or just do not think about why games actually fail and lose subscribers. Most of you just want to play a game, without caring about anything else or anyone else, only your own personal fun.

GL to ESO

That is why I am more excited for Everquest Next than I am for this. Although I will buy this, ESO might be the stop-gap game for me until Everquest Next.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Although I'm a huge GW2 fan, I do find myself lamenting the lack of challenging group content (in the form of raids of whatever.)  I'm definitely a fan of progressing through hard content with a group and the triumphant feeling of teamwork that comes with it.  Do I think every game needs it though?  No.  Each game needs to have its own identity. 

Ya GW2 has been my MMO sinse it came out and I didnt know I would miss raids and the trinity lol 

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

So what does Paul Sage mean  in the video below when he says  heroic raids?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sv160bre2og#t=403s

Originally posted by hMJem

I am really hyped about this game, but if it will indeed include no endgame raid content then I won't ever touch it and neither will nobody I know, because I won't be telling them about the game. And I am one such person out of probably a hundred thousand.

Age of Conan

Swtor

Gw2

hundreds of small titles

GL to ESO

That is why I am more excited for Everquest Next than I am for this. Although I will buy this, ESO might be the stop-gap game for me until Everquest Next.

EQ1 was my first love, cant wait to see more info on it. Seems like the only info we got is rumors. It was EQ that invented raiding.

• Originally posted by Waldoe

Maybe you need to learn to take random internet posters on their word rather than listening to the developers making the game?

Originally posted by Axxar
    Originally posted by Waldoe

Maybe you need to learn to take random internet posters on their word rather than listening to the developers making the game?

That could be talking about AvA raids not PvE?

I've seen every developer video out the past couple weeks. 9/10 say "Heroic dungeons" Which are just dungeons scaled for level 50 but still giving less than crafting would give you.

When so many people interview you in a day, you can accidentally slip. I can just as easily link 3 videos where 3 different people call it "Heroic dungeon" and not raid.

Keep hating on me though, I already posted the proof where the main story is phased off by yourself but no one has even replied to that yet that was hating on me an hour or two ago.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Age of Conan

Swtor

Gw2

hundreds of small titles

GL to ESO

EQ1 was my first love, cant wait to see more info on it. Seems like the only info we got is rumors. It was EQ that invented raiding.

John Smedley said we should have a release version this year.

He teased something like "There will be a version for everyone to play this year and I'm not talking about a beta"

They're calling it "The largest sandbox MMO ever" and I am beyond excited. I have so many good memories from EQOA, and its suppoed to feel like EQOA/EQ1. I think they are using part of the console team because I believe the game is aimed for PC and PS4 like how EQOA was for ps2.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Progression raiding is one thing that I think holds back the themeparks of the genre.  If it has raids, then it's all about raiding.  All the other progression is secondary and second rate.  Either a game has raids and is about raiding or it doesn't have them at all.  I really hope they won't add progression raiding to the game.

Why cant there be both?

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

I've seen every developer video out the past couple weeks. 9/10 say "Heroic dungeons" Which are just dungeons scaled for level 50 but still giving less than crafting would give you.

When so many people interview you in a day, you can accidentally slip. I can just as easily link 3 videos where 3 different people call it "Heroic dungeon" and not raid.

Keep hating on me though, I already posted the proof where the main story is phased off by yourself but no one has even replied to that yet that was hating on me an hour or two ago.

If that was true they would have edited out of the video plain and simple.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

I am really hyped about this game, but if it will indeed include no endgame raid content then I won't ever touch it and neither will nobody I know, because I won't be telling them about the game. And I am one such person out of probably a hundred thousand. Why? Because I am a hardcore gamer and I will be max level in probably less than a week and if it really has no endgame raiding then really I probably will be playing something else a month later and without any new content coming up, will never touch the game again.

Age of Conan

Swtor

Gw2

TERA

Aion

hundreds of small titles

GL to ESO

This ^

You know these developer videos arent Zenimax uploaded, right? These are review sites/etc.

It's an honest slip up. That said, watch more than 1 video. I am sure others can agree with what I'm saying, 9/10 videos they say Heroic Dungeon not Heroic Raid. 

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Of course there will be raids or something similar for the PvE crowd do to at endgame. 

This vote is senceless...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

They probably just slipped it in to see how much protest they get from the users to decide whether to add raiding or not.

To me it sounds just absurd not to add raid content, but it wouldn't be that surprising honestly and wouldn't be the first game like that.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I think I am going to be giving ESO a bit of a miss on this one. I like the normal games, mainly because of the modding community which breathes life into the game after completion. I am also an avid MMO fan...

However I like to work as a large group of people and form relationships and have adventures, which for the end game does involve raiding. Although this is not everything, I like having a 'villain' with a team based effort in taking down that villain and feeling triumphant. I also don't mind dabbling in PvP but for a focus point for end game? Not my cup of tea sadly. 

I think I shall invest my time in Neverwinter MMO, being an avid DnD player and in my past dabble in DMing I can roleplay and get my jollies of the content then later setting up modules and campaigns for others to enjoy. 

Or it could just be talking about AvA raids. The OP link is quoting Matt Firor.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I voted no BUT considering how games like MoP trivilize it Its not a for sure no.

To me, its nice having activities to bring a guild together to do stuff.  Raids are often just that and it really brings a strong union with the guild. There are alternatives but when it came to MMos before, Raids were often the biggest form of unity that could be pushed on the players to partake in together. Other activities could work, but more often then not the typical mindset is "if its not making my character stronger, then its not worth it" which sadly has taken off quite a bit  as people simply use it as a means to improve their characters with no desire to actually 'get better' wanting people to feed them through it.

That being said, if they make it so you have difficult content with less people it could be fine as well. It suffers on the guild side of things but I'd have no problem with going with less people to accomplish tasks. In WoW: Wotlk it wasn't the 25 man OS3D that was the biggest challenge, but the OS3D 10 man version that provided the most difficulty, having less room for error and really pushing on members to go beyond in such they might have to provide heals and do damage or change up their roles for the encounter as it went on.

I marked it down as no, but heck, if they provide content thats actually challenge and difficult and can be rewarding for 4-5 people I'd be more then happy with that. 

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

i keep seeing "best gear will come from crafting" and things of the sort....

has anyone even bothered to consider the possibility that the high end 4 man dungeons will provide top end crafting materials to make the best gear? seems like that would be enough to keep the raiders and gear mongers happy.

truth be told, i raided the old 40 man raids in wow many years ago and was quite pleased with 10 man raids. These days, i can't bring myself to stomach any type of large scale raid. too much drama and they generally become chaotic until it's second nature to just enter and clear over and over again which in turn becomes a chore.

to each their own i guess but I will probably give this game a shot. Oh and the guy who said "would you pay $15 a month to play skyrim?"....you're just dumb. that's not even a viable comparison what so ever.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Posting again for the haters since for me it was the last post on a page.

“The way we do that in Elder Scrolls Online is there are parts of the game that you just do solo and you just do in a story instance. So the main backbone story of the game, which is your interaction with Molag Bal, one of the Daedric princes, you’re the hero in that story, so you experience that only yourself.

It’s a familiar technique we’ve seen before in Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and many other MMOs that do their storytelling in carefully choreographed instances. "

Bummer. I was hoping the SP story would be like TOR. They at least had the option of allowing groupmates into your instance to help you out, and so that they could experience your portion of the story as well.

I guess this takes it one step closer to 'True ES'.

This discussion has been closed.