Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) How many character slots per server ?

BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

On an interview i just watch here on mmorpg.com, someone asked how many characters you could have per server.

I personnally think we should be allowed to have at least 4.
We should be allowed to have 1 for crafting, then 3 minimum to play different classes.
I could even go as far as suggesting to be allowed to have 1 slot per classes available, plus 1 for our crafter character.

DAoC had 8, but there was more classes available too.

Knowing that cross realming on same server won't be allowed, how many characters do you think we should be allowed to have on each server ?

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
Thurka on WAR

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

So far it doesn't appear like the game will have a cash shop where you can buy extra character slots. Therefore I'd like to see enough slots per server to make one of each class including crafting classes if those end up being completely separate. You want players to have pride in their server and not be forced to have a second server for the same realm just to try out all the classes.

I voted for 8 since there was no "enough to roll each class" option and we don't know exactly how many classes there will be yet and for that matter neither does Mark.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Vanilla DAoC rolled out with four character slots (omg the whinefest that would occur in today's market).  Since then, it's been expanded to eight character slots.  I'm with meddyck, enough slots to roll one of each class plus crafters if seperate.

EDIT:

It's confirmed that there's four classes (tank / dps / caster / support) and one can only presume that it will include blacksmithing, armorsmithing, tailoring, alchemy, spellcrafting, fletching/woodworking, and probably siegecrafting.  So, that's a total of 11 slots.  I feel 8 is a pretty decent number as it forces players to decide and choose which class/crafter..  FP: choices matter!

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Why have a limit at all? It's not like you're going to break the server because you create 50 toons. They're not all logged in at once.

The whole "we only allow 1 toon per server to stimulate community interaction" is a load of crock, what they are really saying is "we only allow one toon per server because we want you to pay for multiple accounts". SWG anyone?

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159

I said 5, because they said 4 classes +1 crafter. So I'd basically go with Meddyck's 1 slot for each class.

I doubt having maxxed crafters for each type of craft (if they go that route) will easy to achieve AND maintain(depending if skill degrading effects crafters and how severe it is).

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • HagnarHagnar Member UncommonPosts: 39
    To me, 5 are enough.

Born as a berserker, I was also a hero, a bounty hunter, a paladin ,a troubador and a paladin once again during my Mmo''s experiences .. Now travelling in a galaxy looking for a new adventure

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    I like to have tons of alts, so I can help guildies out or if another class sounds interesting.  I can't remember all the toons I had in DAoC, but I know I had at least 5 in each realm!  Needless to say, I like as many toon slots as I can!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

This is one of those issues that I feel really strongly about. As a subscription-based game I promise that no matter how many classes we add to the game that every account will have enough slots for one of every class per server. 

I love alts too, a lot. :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196

I'd like to see it limited to 2 or 3.  That way every person won't be able to have a RvR character and every crafter class required.  Heck, I'd even be okay with 1 class per server, and I would just play a crafter/builder on my main server.

It would go to the community and interdependency principles of the game.

I realize that people want to have every type of character on their main server.. but the best communities I've enjoyed were games where you had only 1 or 2 characters per server.

Edit - just saw Mark's post, so I guess that won't be happening.  hah.  I'm fine with it - just think the community suffers a bit by everybody being able to play everything.  But it's certainly not a game breaker for me.

Originally posted by sweetdigs

I'd like to see it limited to 2 or 3.  That way every person won't be able to have a RvR character and every crafter class required.  Heck, I'd even be okay with 1 class per server, and I would just play a crafter/builder on my main server.

I realize that people want to have every type of character on their main server.. but the best communities I've enjoyed were games where you had only 1 or 2 characters per server.

Edit - just saw Mark's post, so I guess that won't be happening.  hah.  I'm fine with it - just think the community suffers a bit by everybody being able to play everything.  But it's certainly not a game breaker for me.

I understand your reasoning, but it also depends who quickly you "max" out a character and skills deteriorating.  I'd say a majority of the alts come from games being too easy to max/cap out.  If you have to put a lot of time or continually play to keep your character at peak performance it helps curve that urge to roll alts.

Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

I think it would suffer if we were creating a game where leveling was trivial. However, given the time that it will take to level up as well as the soft-cap, I don't expect it will be a problem. Another thing to keep in mind is that we are going for a smaller player base, people will be less able and willing to go to other servers.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are not looking to make our crafting class so limited that you would have to have lots of crafter characters. I think that the whole "we can only learn 2 or 3 skills" is not the way we want to go with CU. Leveling a crafter will take time so I don't think that players will have to have lots of crafter characters.

I could certainly be wrong about this but I do think that by having enough slots on one server to handle multiple RvR chars, crafter char, etc. helps build realm pride by keeping the player on the server and not forcing them to jump around to other servers just because they want to play an alt.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

Originally posted by MarkJacobs

I could certainly be wrong about this but I do think that by having enough slots on one server to handle multiple RvR chars, crafter char, etc. helps build realm pride by keeping the player on the server and not forcing them to jump around to other servers just because they want to play an alt.

Good point.

Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196

I think it would suffer if we were creating a game where leveling was trivial. However, given the time that it will take to level up as well as the soft-cap, I don't expect it will be a problem. Another thing to keep in mind is that we are going for a smaller player base, people will be less able and willing to go to other servers.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are not looking to make our crafting class so limited that you would have to have lots of crafter characters. I think that the whole "we can only learn 2 or 3 skills" is not the way we want to go with CU. Leveling a crafter will take time so I don't think that players will have to have lots of crafter characters.

Roger that.  Makes perfectly good sense.  Can't tell you how much we (or at least I) appreciate your explanation of the thought that goes into it.

Kickstarter can't come soon enough. 

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Or worse like GW 2 where you get 5 character slots total and have to buy extra slots in the cash shop or delete old toons if you want to try a new class. Having enough slots on a server to make every class in CU is perfect for me. Thanks!

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176

This is one of those issues that I feel really strongly about. As a subscription-based game I promise that no matter how many classes we add to the game that every account will have enough slots for one of every class per server. 

I guess that pretty much ends the discussion  :P

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

I voted; "I dont care", but I really meant; "I dont know.. as it would depend on how many different classes there were".

So this answer is very satisfying.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I'm sure you can also relate to the problem of FOTM classes in DAoC any every other MMO with high numbers of character slots. So, do you want a game where people complain of imbalances ( few character slots ) or a game where you have cookie cutter FOTM classes running around everywhere which = boring ( many character slots ).

Complaining vs. Boredom... its a tough choice

If all classes are interesting, but different, and also fairly balanced. Then you could have the best of both.

It is a tricky balance. But being able to play something different once in a while and to keep having fun, even if your favorite class has been temporarly overnerfed or is bugged, is important.

Sometimes you want to solo or duo play with a single friend.. log in your solo class.. 

Somtimes your guild shaman is away on holiday and someone else needs to fill that role.

When I played DAoC I had 9 shamans on 4 accounts. 4 for buffing 3 for healing and 2 cave shamans. 

I also had 3 different rune masters, 2 different spirit masters, 3 different shadowblades, and 3 different healers. 

Not to mention 3 Skalds, 2 berserkers, 2 thanes, 2 warriors, 1 bonedancer, 1 valkyrie and 2 hunters.

All so I could play differently if the mood struck me.

SWG had limited character slots. But any of those characters could keep changing their class.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Voted 8 based on the plan of adding more classes as they go, but at launch 5 would probably do.

If they're going to have 1-realm-per-server rules, like DAoC did at launch, and will attempt to enforce/protect that as far as possible, I want to be able to play every realm (on different servers) and be able to make different classes in each. It helps the server, too, I think, so people can switch classes depending on what's going on at the time (eg. group needs a class, crafting needed, big realm raid going on.)

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by WW4BW
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I'm sure you can also relate to the problem of FOTM classes in DAoC any every other MMO with high numbers of character slots. So, do you want a game where people complain of imbalances ( few character slots ) or a game where you have cookie cutter FOTM classes running around everywhere which = boring ( many character slots ).

Complaining vs. Boredom... its a tough choice

If all classes are interesting, but different, and also fairly balanced. Then you could have the best of both.

It is a tricky balance. But being able to play something different once in a while and to keep having fun, even if your favorite class has been temporarly overnerfed or is bugged, is important.

Sometimes you want to solo or duo play with a single friend.. log in your solo class.. 

Somtimes your guild shaman is away on holiday and someone else needs to fill that role.

When I played DAoC I had 9 shamans on 4 accounts. 4 for buffing 3 for healing and 2 cave shamans. 

I also had 3 different rune masters, 2 different spirit masters, 3 different shadowblades, and 3 different healers. 

Not to mention 3 Skalds, 2 berserkers, 2 thanes, 2 warriors, 1 bonedancer, 1 valkyrie and 2 hunters.

All so I could play differently if the mood struck me.

SWG had limited character slots. But any of those characters could keep changing their class.

Add to that than there will be new classes added later, but it doesn't mean you want to delete your main characters you spent so much time in just to be able to play something that seems more interesting. And personally, i don't really want to change server to play that new class, because i won't know anybody there.

EDIT: what does FOTM means?

Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

Add to that than there will be new classes added later, but it doesn't mean you want to delete your main characters you spent so much time in just to be able to play something that seems more interesting. And personally, i don't really want to change server to play that new class, because i won't know anybody there.

EDIT: what does FOTM means?

Flavour of the Month. A class or  "cookie cutter" spec that everyone uses because someone "pro" uses it and posted it on a website/forum, and it seems to be the best since the last patch, when the last FOTM got nerfed.

Cookie Cutter builds or specs are min/maxed for damage or perhaps tankiness, but are basicly the builds that get you the most out of limited specialty points, that you can find on fan sites with character builder.

Meaning everyone will be playing as kobolds runemasters specced 1 26 47 one month and the next they will all have rolled frostalfs and be specced for Darkness or something.. I pulled the example out of my posterior.. but its basicly that.. Thought now ofcourse you have all these kobold runemasters lying around.. so Im sure someone would respec them instead of rolling frostalfs.. since it did take a weekend of farming to get max level and l then a while longer to get RR.

Sorry it is hard to tell how much to explain when someone asks a question that I personally feel is obvious... 

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Thanks for the quick reply, i understand what you mean. I just didn't know what the FOTM letters standed for^^

And by the way, now with the battlegrounds quest i got a ranger from 1 to 50 in one day, with lunch and a few other break every couple hours, you just need to find a group^^

EDIT : it's like lfg, i knew what it meant for a long time but i had to wait to play on an english server to know that it was for "looking for group" (which btw is the name of a nice webcomic:)

2nd EDIT: i didn't know what FOTM meant unlike lfg, but i related to an expression in my language, so i understood after you told me