Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are no raids... can you live with that?

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

personally, yes i am fine with it since i don't raid anymore and haven't pretty much since EQ and vanilla wow.

i play games to relax and have fun, raiding feels more like a part time job with some dork yelling more than my IRL boss does.

honestly, i could tolerate raiding until guilds stated using VOIP, now its more annoying than anything for me.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

i like to try what every mmo has to offer. i want and i try every new additon to genre. either its world events, rifts, invasions, owpvp, sieges or whatever. i played and continue to play many mmo's, enjoying some of them, at least for a time. short or long.

but what i miss more are raids. large scale (25+) sophisticated dungeons, with great bosses, difficult tactics and legendary items.

i like to tank or heal. mainly healer to most mmo's. i can play a game without raids, but not for long. i cant addict to a game that has no raids. i dont say that a game without raids cant be as good, or even better, than one with but i just cant stick to it.

maybe i m not able to see the big picture behind a game without raids, but i love them. sometimes raiding makes me really feel EPIC :)

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Yup I never raid anyways....
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by hMJem

So there is PvP that gives no rewards, and no World PvP. Sorry, Cyrodill isnt World PvP. 

Youre gonna play this game for 4 months just because of Cyrodill with no rewards? I highly doubt that. Anyone who wants to finish all 3 factions will have done so within a couple months, especially if this game is $15 a month subscription like it probably will be.

No carrot on a stick = no longevity. You wouldnt pay $15 a month to play Skyrim and dont act like you would.

"Capture an Elder Scroll, protect it, and return it to your alliance’s stronghold to wield its power and gain bonuses."

"In The Elder Scrolls Online, the highest-ranking player of an alliance is crowned Emperor when their alliance takes control of the Imperial City. You aren’t just fighting for your alliance; you’re fighting for the opportunity to be crowned Emperor, yourself.

Emperors gain special abilities that increase their prowess on the battlefield. They are true leaders of their alliance, and a force to be reckoned with.

An Emperor’s hold on power can be tenuous.  Can your alliance protect all of the strongholds necessary to maintain your dominance? How long will your reign as Emperor last before an ambitious foe cuts you down?"

not having "phat epix" does not mean there is no reward :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    30% of 135'000'000 bucks a month is a lot of cheese lol. Who would run a business and chuck out even 20% of their possible profits?

that is assuming, of course, that every last person that enjoys raiding declines to buy TESO because it doesn't have raiding.

how many people that do raid, raid because it offers the best loot in the game and not because they necessarily enjoy it?

i would bet a whole heck of a lot of raiders fall under that category.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

I won't believe that you can't play the main story with other players unless a developer outright says "You can't play the story with other players" 

I don't really see this mattering anyways, the personal story type stuff in other games can be played with other players but most people play it solo. You will do this personal story type stuff once on your character and forget about it until an expansion. Everyone knows that a bulk of your playtime will be focused around end game, after you have completed the main story. I think SWTOR already proved that a solo oriented story is a waste of time without a good end game. Most people playing that game enjoyed that aspect of the game more then the end game because the content at end game was poorly tested, minimal, and did not come fast enough. 

For the time being atleast it seems like they are atleast aiming towards end game playing a pretty important role. The max level adventure zone concept sounds neat and the massive RvR style pvp sound cool. Honestly you can't tell me that with that style of big epic PvP that it is "not an mmo". 

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Celcius
    I won't believe that you can't play the main story with other players unless a developer outright says "You can't play the story with other players" 

I'm inclined to agree with this. Even TOR, the ultimate in single player gaming wrapped in an MMO package, made it possible to group through your singleplayer storyline.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Abso-frakking-lutely!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by rygard49

I'm inclined to agree with this. Even TOR, the ultimate in single player gaming wrapped in an MMO package, made it possible to group through your singleplayer storyline.

Ya my wife and I play together side by side. We maybe skipping the main story if we cant play together. Hope there is lots of story we can do together.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by doodphace

Just want to point out, the only themepark since WoW to release with a sub, and keep enough subscribers to not warrent going FTP (Rift), has ample endgame/raids....me thinks there is some corralation with having a veriaty of endgame content, and keeping playiers...

LOL this. Even if you dont want to raid its good for the game.

The trick is getting developers to do it without alienating the rest of the player base by placing end game progression solely through raiding.  What's the point of even having other end game content if the only post-level progression takes place in raids?  We all love to see new content, but playing an RPG means that the progression of your Avatar is a paramount aspect required for leveling and post-leveling content.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Will not touch this game if there isn't raid or some proper challenge for large groups of players. Not like Wow raids, but some real challenge would be fine and surely, not like GW2 outdoor "raids". For those who don't like raiding, just make other options for character progression and everyone will be happy. Why not options, example, if you want specific gear or weapon, give players 2-3 options - for raiders, go kill some uberpowered boss, for non-raiders - go kill 1000 rats, collect flowers, spend milions gold, etc...
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Just want to point out, the only themepark since WoW to release with a sub, and keep enough subscribers to not warrent going FTP (Rift), has ample endgame/raids....me thinks there is some corralation with having a veriaty of endgame content, and keeping playiers...

The trick is getting developers to do it without alienating the rest of the player base by placing end game progression solely through raiding.  What's the point of even having other end game content if the only post-level progression takes place in raids?  We all love to see new content, but playing an RPG means that the progression of your Avatar is a paramount aspect required for leveling and post-leveling content.

They keep their existing planned endgame, but add a different tier of progression for raids, and make both hardcore and accssaible versions of them. It has worked wonders for Rift and WoW. Unless you are a PVP centric MMO like doac or WAR, it make no sense to not have tiered raid progression, esp if you want to keep many players.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

haha RIFT:

- 100 servers down to 8 servers in 10 months

- outspoken anti cash shop/anti F2P exec hits the road(like he left EQ2 before that conversion)

- added cash shop even though they were chest poundingly against such things, F2P in asia to "save sliding player numbers" even though they were firebreathing preachers of the true red blooded sub model

-  moving on from RIFT with AA and several f2p/b2p titles coming up, fired bunch of guys and all indications point to SL being the only expansion for a looooong time.

- never give specifics on how the game did, but slash the expansion's price after two weeks on market.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Ya last thing I want is a treadmill. Gear should be equal.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Raiding represents a massive part of what I've hated about the last decade or so of MMOs. I'm excited by their absence.

I don't begrudge people who love raiding. I understand what the appeal is, I just don't share it.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

haha RIFT:

- outspoken anti cash shop/anti F2P exec hits the road(like he left EQ2 before that conversion)

- added cash shop even though they were chest poundingly against such things, F2P in asia to "save sliding player numbers" even though they were firebreathing preachers of the true red blooded sub model

-  moving on from RIFT with AA and several f2p/b2p titles coming up, fired bunch of guys and all indications point to SL being the only expansion for a looooong time.

- never give specifics on how the game did, but slash the expansion's price after two weeks on market.

Compared to all other themparks that released without raids, do you not think that its doing better from a subscription standpoint, even givin everything you pointed out??

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    I've never played a single raid in my life that I truly enjoyed so yes I can live without it. I'd prefer not having to find a massive band of  angry social misfits in order to enjoy the game thankyouverymuch.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I'm mostly interested in the AvA and crafting. I chose Yes, i can live without it because raiding really holds nothing interesting for me, I know there is a small percentage of mmo players who live to do them, but not me.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Never liked or saw the point of raids. Never have, never will.

I think not having raids is the best thing any mmo can do.

Whenever I have attempted to raid I've ALWAYS fallen asleep at my computer.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

put in a darkness falls dungeon or two.

/game

/thread

/life

/internets

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Incomplete poll. I can live without raids, granted that it has some other fun and interesting end-game activity such as meaningful conquest based PvP or soft level cap. But I cant live with a game that has barely any proper end-game (such as GW 2).
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

haha RIFT:

SL had issues because the work required just so one can raid.  People would grind quest to get gear to run normal instances.  Then grind normal instances to do expert instances.  Then grind Experts to get into raids.  I played SL, ran a guild full of casual players all of which raided in WOW and Rift before.  2 out of the 30 of us wanted to do the tredmill.

I went back to SWTOR and I love the operations here because they are small and take little effort to get going.  So you can say all the negative things you want about Raiding.  Its not the problem.  The problem is the tredmill one has to get on to get into raid or to do for raiding.  Yes they need a carrot on the stick and should progress their toons.  But Like WoW and Rift, the amount of time spent just to raid is too great.  If raiding was looked at like PVP as a nother avenue of progression then it wouldn't be a big deal.

• SagornSagorn Member UncommonPosts: 25

I used to raid.. a lot, but I don't raid at all now. It's not about the time or the effort but dealing with the attitudes and drama that comes with 99% of every single guild out there. Sure, you can do some sort of random groupage, but you are going to run into the same a-holes time and time again.

As a pve player, the problem isn't having raids for end-game, it's having *something* for end game. There is a lot more that you can do that doesn't require raiding, or grouping at all. I don't understand why someone hasn't figured out that there are easier things to add to give players something to do at max level than raids. Add a very deep alternate ability system (a la EQ) to give players the ability to get *better* as they play more. Add a crafting system that actually takes some sort of effort to get good at and max out. Add a housing system that actually gives people something to work on, such as upgrading the actual starter hut to a castle over time, as well as decorating. While this might not interst a lot of people, it sure gives you something more interesting to do than a gear grind every few months when a patch comes out with some new raid/dungeon.

--Sagorn

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Sagorn

I used to raid.. a lot, but I don't raid at all now. It's not about the time or the effort but dealing with the attitudes and drama that comes with 99% of every single guild out there. Sure, you can do some sort of random groupage, but you are going to run into the same a-holes time and time again.

As a pve player, the problem isn't having raids for end-game, it's having *something* for end game. There is a lot more that you can do that doesn't require raiding, or grouping at all. I don't understand why someone hasn't figured out that there are easier things to add to give players something to do at max level than raids. Add a very deep alternate ability system (a la EQ) to give players the ability to get *better* as they play more. Add a crafting system that actually takes some sort of effort to get good at and max out. Add a housing system that actually gives people something to work on, such as upgrading the actual starter hut to a castle over time, as well as decorating. While this might not interst a lot of people, it sure gives you something more interesting to do than a gear grind every few months when a patch comes out with some new raid/dungeon.

--Sagorn

Sargorn,

Honestly If you think 99% of raiding guilds have drama thats because you joined mostly bad guilds or you equate having a pug person who does not want to listen to loot rules and wants his 6th piece of gear from that raid over someone who has got nothing.   Yes Larger raids 20+ will have more drama than they are worth.  If you get a good tigh nit group of 8 to 11 raiders you are very unlikely to see any drama.  Why?  Simple guilds end up much like my raiding guild in SWTOR we had 11 people all on the same page we rotated and almost never needed ro recruit for our group.  No one bitched at one another everyone enjoyed yacking at one another the only BS we had was on SOA hard mode because before he was fixed everytime he got down to 15% health he despawned.  Everytime without fail.  Thats the only DRAMA we had because we hated Bioware for a buggy boss.  Not because Loot, or who pissed off who or inter personal stuff.  Small tigh nit groups rarely have drama and need to massively recruit.

As for you saying that its wrong for MMOs to force group content.  I will agree to disagree with you.  Take UO for example, if you don't instance out areas where you have strong Monsters people want to kill they will get flooded and people will hate having to fight for 1 mob.  Take the Shadow Wyrm room for example.  I with 2 other friends ran that place, however if others came in they get pissed because we owned the spawn.  Sometimes you would see a dozen people trying to control it however us 3 ran the place.  So you recate instances, an instance will take resources on a phsyical server and a database.  So you make instances GROUP content.  Also the point of an MMO is to be social, make friends and play with them.  They are not Lobby Games, and only became Lobby games because there are now too many MMOs and few people willing to play them.   Now I will say I would like a game where SMALL group of friends and work together and progress.  I would love to run a Shadow wyrm spawn again with a few friends and have a good time.  Do we need 40 man raids, no.  Can we do with 8 man raids.  Yea much better and much tigher nit communities will be made from that.

• stori11stori11 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Originally posted by stori11
    Adding raids to this perticular mmo would be a mistake on their part seeing how they might loose a few players by making it mroe of a co-op game than mmo, but they would loose alot more players and face a massive backlash from TES fans if they made it wow-like mmo. Not that there is anything wrong with wow, I played it myself and enjoyed it, I hope my point is easy to understand.

You know this is an MMORPG right? And you cant do the main story co-op? You're phased by yourself when doing the main story questline.

Do you know what MMO means?

Really?  I didn't know that.  Wow, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard... make a TES multiplayer game, then make the main storyline single player.  Brilliant.  If that's true, I'm almost offended at how utterly fucking stupid it is.

Don't believe everything in this thread. Unless this guy can prove that you can't do the main story co-op I would take that comment with a grain of salt. 

Who said anything about a phased single player main story? First of all, thats bullshit, the devs never said anything like that, second , my point was that making this game more of a co-op game than wow-style mmo will work better for it. I do not mean co-op as in 4 players alone in the world, but co-op as in 4-5 players in a dungeon.

This discussion has been closed.