Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance Beta Gameplay Weekend Compilation "Final"

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Final Thoughts Video Is it worth it?

This is the wrap up of all my content on the Defiance weekend. It was fun more fun then I at first realized. Because when you’re reviewing sometimes it’s just not fun. But I enjoyed myself exploring this games world.

Story is the first thing I’ll touch on the game has a secretive feeling to its story. Most sci-fi games have this feel like a bomb is going to fall on you. This one is no exception to the rule on that. Put that together with the fact you’re following the TV show. They have a good chance to do something special with this.

Guns and gun play in this game is in a weird spot. I like how many guns they have and how you can customize them. What I don’t like is the lack of finding upgrades and gun play on certain guns. You see me use the electric automatic shotgun a lot. Main reason is it’s as accurate as the pistol at medium to close range. Now that is weird and just one of the issues I did a bug report on.

The games graphics are nice nothing I was blown away about. It’s a dying world setting not much cuteness and flash you can give it. With that said we turn to character customization. Which totally turned me off are the choices you have. I mean come on this is Trion Worlds makers of Rift. You seriously going to tell us this are the best they can do on character looks? It’s unforgiveable how bad that is I hope a miracle patch comes to fix that. Because everyone no matter what you choose even with the top icons looks old and washed up lol.

Quests were many and varied some fun some a pain in the ass. The rampage mission was loads of fun trusts me you want to do that. Meanwhile some side missions to save guards would make you throw a key board because of aim bots. I didn’t see any quests structure I haven’t seen in other games before. But it was solid and not a lot of bugs with them so that is excellent for a closed beta.

Trade skills seemed a bit lacking drops for it even more lacking. I’m assuming they just want you to salvage for all your trade skill items. I do like all the mods you can make to your guns to make for very unique guns. And I did like the clothes that came along once and awhile. Especially the cop uniform you get a few hours into the game.

Sound really was solid nothing really to go on here. The music seemed fitting for what action was going on in most cases. Except in pvp in most games pvp has a set music this game really doesn’t.

Speaking of pvp omg bunny hopping rockets everywhere oh my. Yes you can do that in this game and it’s lame. That without a doubt needs to be patch fixed or pvp will be a joke after thought in this game. You have a few pvp modes it can ruin. Those modes are Battlegrounds 8v8 and 16v16. The shadow war pvp instance is basically set in a phased real world. So when the fights over your back in the real world like nothing ever happen. In a way I liked that made it seem like a fight broke out real time now back to business.

I like to next point out a quick few things. Raiding I have no idea if this even exist yet or is everything zone events or instance. With that said team play doesn’t really seem encouraged or engaged at all. You don’t really have to. Which makes you feel like this game is almost like Borderlands. That isn’t a bad thing considering the fame BL has nowadays. I still like to see more out of teaming or at least the game influencing you to do so.

My last bit and my final opinion on this game is this. Trion world if any company out there has at least earned a little trust in my opinion. They made constant updates to rift and listen to people. You will need constant updates to follow a TV show. If any company can pull that off they can. So with that said I give this game a 7.5 it has a lot of work left to do. But it is worth buying and has potential to be great. Do you believe is all up to you and your funds situation.

====================================================================================

First Major Story Quest

This was rather hard because I was forcing using a weapon. I made it harder then it had to be but still fun. At any rate I'm winding down on my content left. I'll be wrapping this up soon and give my honest opinion of things.

====================================================================================

Ark Fall Zone Event

Here is a Arkfall event that i was rather late too :( But I still had fun with it and it was very similar to Rifts in Rift Online. My one gripe is more ammo should drop for all the shots we needed to kill everything. I was ill prepared and had a electric shotgun. That put together with my sniper rifle means lack of instant impact damage.

=========================================================================

Side Missions a Look

Here is 3 of the side missions you can do in the game. All 3 are fun with in reason of what they offer.

Hot Shot: Gives you a shotgun and says go wild and live to tell about it. Goal is the high score and live long enough to get it.

Rampage: Is similar but you get a mini gun and a smaller space to work in.

Time Trial: Is a speed run on your atv not hard at all a cool diversion from normal play.

==========================================================================

Second Look

This second look is more in depth all about the nuts and bolts of the game enjoy.

==========================================================================

First Look

I did not speak in this one due to not feeling well. It's definitely me playing and giving you guys a quick look. Well to start NDA is over as of right now so I can post all my Defiance related material. I'll start by saying the game is fun and reminds me a lot of Rift and Firefall smashed into the same game. Is that a good thing I don't know it could be? I like both Rift and Firefall for what they are.

It still seems like a lot of the game is still under wraps. We will see what the patch brings in a few hours from now. From what I have witnessed while playing around is. The gun play seems at least legit in how it works. No wonky Apb gun physics that makes you run away.

If you like cyber punk themed games this may also be up your alley. The game basically is set in an end of the world cyber human sort of tone. That comes complete with a Ghost in the Shell typed AI you get. Also making its appearance for you is an ATV you can ride. The fun of that alone is well worth at least looking at the game. Not to mention the mini games spread all around the zone. A few are actually directed at using the ATV correctly.

The mission system doesn't seem that different from your normal mission system out there. You have pick up quest kill quest you walk into an area and get hi-jacked quests. It also has a similar Rift event alert system when something big happens. I have no complaint on that I am used to missions by no.

The looks of the world seem to be a drag. But I guess that is to be expected at the end of the world. The character customization seems well lacking...Considering how much you could custom things in Rift. I'm wondering what happen there in this game. Again the next patch may address that we will see.

For no enjoy and if you were invited to the weekend beta see you inside.

Later Be Legendary

Comments

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I have a bit of a sick feeling this game is being slightly pushed out for money but things might end up going south on launch and into the future. Some will argue its not a MMO some will. This is a MMO Forum so I will just say charging already for future DLC's is just sad. 

SNIP

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by kanechart
    I have a bit of a sick feeling this game is being slightly pushed out for money but things might end up going south on launch and into the future. Some will argue its not a MMO some will. This is a MMO Forum so I will just say charging already for future DLC's is just sad. 

I hear you, and know how you feel. But, All MMO's are made to make money. for me, I could care less if this game charges for DLC's. As this point I'm 33 years old, and all I care about is if the game is indepth and Good. I have not played a descent MMO in a long long time. All that other Gaming industry rhetoric stuff you guys are all caught up in around here, I could care less about, let the miserable angry gaming people argue about it on these forums for the next 10 years. It's never going to change things or how games are made, it's just the way it is, eather accept it or complain and be miserable for the rest of your life playing games, or just don't play them and play Single players game like I did for awhile.

Me, I perfer to just sit down and enjoy the games I love. The games I don't I throw in the trash can, and move on.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    I'm reserving hope for todays patch. You know I'll tell the truth if it sucks. For right now I see nothing that firefall and Rift hasn't already done. That isn't exactly bad like I said above. But that isn't enough to keep a healthy population playing long term.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

If the games of decent quality then it should retain a decent following like Rift has.  This is Trions test to see if they can consistantly make decent games imo.

Will this game be a smashing success...i dont think so.

Question is...can Trion find that confortable middle ground with players and then keep dumping content into this game as they have with Rift.

I dont think anyone expected this game to be a massive hit though.  From what i hear its a sci-fi themepark with guns...which to be honest...its really missing from the themepark world.

How quality if the production value, how quality is the storyline, how quality will the games systems and mechanics be?  Well i think thats going to make or break this game.  If its decent enough its not going to be a fail game.

I think a lot will rest on endgame, as is the case with all themeparks.  Most people will race there anyway.

I dont expect to participate in beta more than an hour or two.  If it looks like a quality game ill wait for launch, if it looks like a game slapped together to help market their tv show, ill skip the game all together.

Also i want to remind everyone that the PC part of this game is a small part of the game, Its got XBOX and PS3 to crutch on.  Might fail as a PC game but thrive on the consols...or vice versa.

Oh and it expect a serious stress test on this beta, disconnects, lag...its going to be like the Rift beta where they kept spawning rifts and (whatever those mob attack events were called) untill the servers crashed.  I think this beta is going to be like that.

They did that last mission beta you could barely get anything done. I just did a good job of editing it out. But that is the nature of beta's. You know going in your a crash test dummy accept it or log out lol.

@Aion

Thx yea I get around this weekend will be tough. You will hear it in my voice I got sick two days ago. Just in time for this beta Neverwinter, Rift Anni, Guild Wars 2, Marvel Hereos, and Warframe patches in events. Normally stuff like this doesn't happen all in the same time frame. I think I'll concentrate more on Defiance and Never.

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Aww it's not the same with out your wise cracks and dissing content. Try and get well soon and thanks for the content.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Your videos aren't genuine without your at times unpronounced mumbling, therefore i'll pass on this one ;)

Get well soon!

• GeeksWithGamesGeeksWithGames Member Posts: 9
    I like to call it a "persistent shooter" mmo. I feel you on the money thing though, i'm sure that plays a part in things, however if it is entertaining for the player (and tv show viewer as well), then I say embrace it. It so far seems very well done. Glad the NDA is lifted.

Defiance review with commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CerQkyede_M

We are always looking to have a good time with good games. Enlist in the Geeks With Games Army today:
    http://www.youtube.com/geekswithgamesdotcom

Yep if he isn't using that Brooklyn slang. It's just not the same but this is still a good watch.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Thanks for the vid.  Cool to see it in action.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Took all day but now I finally got on. The first thing I dislike is the lack of customization. How does a company take a step back in that after Rift?
    I have more like 10 more videos of stuff doubt Ill use it all.
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

From what I played the game is solid, Quest seem to be a mix of your standard WoW pick-um up with GW2  shit happens when you cross them, or public quest for short, the shooter combat is tight, head shots count, weapons have different recoils ect., the story so far is pretty deep, and adding to the fact that the show will help aid that I can see some great role playing for those that like that stuff.

Also I was a bit worried about the world size but that is no longer the case, the world is large, when I opened up the world map there is alot of map that needs to be discovered , my guess is it's the size of GW2 when it is all unlocked, maybe bigger, or half the size of WoW, that's not bad for a new MMO, not at all, I can live with that, also not counting instant dungs. shadow wars ect.

In the end I will be buying this game I can see myself having alot of fun in a world like this as I am a Sci Fi , shooter and a MMO fan, and with the show this game will have lore out the ass, if the show does well and I think it will we might have ourselves a nice sci fi shooter MMO to play for many years to come.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Sadly, i have came to this verdict for Defiance. Currently Defiance is a good game. Solid, its 1 b2p but dlc purchases are going to become iffy.

But FireFall is a master peice compaired to this game, even in a closed beta state.

FireFall > Defiance at the end result. But you can play both of them togeather no problem. Just know Firefall is much more sci fy setting, not a half modern half sci fi like defiance.

But Firefall has the hand on Content and the fact that its free.

So if you were to say your tight on bugdet or dont wana waste money, i would say FireFall is beyond a sure fire game. And once FireFall launches, whenever that might be. I fear for Defiances existance.

Also FireFall is much more of an indepth game and has so much more "Touch to it"  Voice acting, UI customization, and ill end it there

Originally posted by Snakex

Sadly, i have came to this verdict for Defiance. Currently Defiance is a good game. Solid, its 1 b2p but dlc purchases are going to become iffy.

But FireFall is a master peice compaired to this game, even in a closed beta state.

FireFall > Defiance at the end result. But you can play both of them togeather no problem. Just know Firefall is much more sci fy setting, not a half modern half sci fi like defiance.

So if you were to say your tight on bugdet or dont wana waste money, i would say FireFall is beyond a sure fire game. And once FireFall launches, whenever that might be. I fear for Defiances existance.

Also FireFall is much more of an indepth game and has so much more "Touch to it"  Voice acting, UI customization, and ill end it there

I played Firefall, it's a good game I do enjoy it ,but I found myself enjoying this game more, that and the fact that the story is tied to a show makes the game more engaging for me,  I will play both but in the long run I see myself playing this game more because of the lore tied to the show.

Also this game isn't going anywere because of the show, the show will be pretty much free ad for the game , now if the show bombs then I can see problems, but if the show last a few seasons the lore and IP are set for the game only gaining support over time, all we have to do is look at strong IP games like Star Wars, and Star trek, those games lacked in many ways at launch, if it wasnt for the IP thoses games would of crashed along time ago, but the IP bought  the games time to polish and add content and those games now seem to be doing fine, both Star Wars and Star Trek have Ex-pac coming out soon as a result, most poeple just want a world to connect with.

Games without a solid IP have to get it right from the jump or it will fail, having a show with a strong IP helps smooth out the game and buys it time to get there shit together like Star Trek and Star Wars did.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Warjin

I played Firefall, it's a good game I do enjoy it ,but I found myself enjoying this game more, that and the fact that the story is tied to a show makes the game more engaging for me,  I will play both but in the long run I see myself playing this game more because of the lore tied to the show.

Also this game isn't going anywere because of the show, the show will be pretty much free ad for the game , now if the show bombs then I can see problems, but if the show last a few seasons the lore and IP are set for the game only gaining support over time, all we have to do is look at strong IP games like Star Wars, and Star trek, those games lacked in many ways at launch, if it wasnt for the IP thoses games would of crashed along time ago, but the IP bought  the games time to polish and add content and those games now seem to be doing fine, both Star Wars and Star Trek have Ex-pac coming out soon as a result, most poeple just want a world to connect with.

Games without a solid IP have to get it right from the jump or it will fail, having a show with a strong IP helps smooth out the game and buys it time to get there shit together like Star Trek and Star Wars did.

I can only simply say. Look at FireFall NOW, I played way back when in alpha and omg i feel as if the game has takena 360. Also FireFall will have a store along with it too. They also have a road map showing their path.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It's not perfect, but I have a pretty solid first impression of it so far. At this point, I think it will earn a puirchase for those days when I need a break from GW2.

I don't see it as being a 1,000+ hour title for me, but that's ok.

Quality is pretty good. Cutscenes are superb. World has an interesting look and good overall graphical quality. Animations are about average during game play. The only one I find horribly, distractingly, devs must be brain damaged bad is the jump animation. It's the same low gravity moon jump animation fouind in Rift. Bad, bad, bad. I was shocked Rift shipped with what has to be one of the worst jump animations in any game we've seen in the last ten years, but for them to import it into Defiance is criminal.

I'm on the fence about the quest system. Sort of a hybrid between the traditional MMO quest and Dynamic Events from GW2. You can get missions from NPCs and follow a waypoint there, but it also appears you can do a quest you stumble upon right then and there. I'll be paying more attention to that as the weekend progresses.

It's a game, it looks pretty good, sounds pretty good, has reasonably fluid combat and animations. It lacks a lot of MMO features, but it's so far pretty darn fun. :)

BTW, I've seen some compare it to Tabula Rasa. It does have some similarities, but it seems to be a much better game at first flush than TR was. Sort of what TR should have been in many ways.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Warjin

I can only simply say. Look at FireFall NOW, I played way back when in alpha and omg i feel as if the game has takena 360. Also FireFall will have a store along with it too. They also have a road map showing their path.

I agree I played Firefall last beta, and I had a blast, As I said I will play both, I love sci fi, as you can tell by my alien head logo lol, all I am saying is I feel "D" has a great chance because of the show and from what I played it's fun, Firefall the same, in the end I want them both the become great MMO shooters, better for us players in the long run.

I added a second look to this one post as well
    The downfall of this game is firefall is completely free. I don't think anyone will pay for a similar game with lacking features.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Love the story and the graphics. Nice cast of characters too. Cass is spunky and Von Bach is just plain awesome. The gameplay is fast-paced but things get old fast. I just really don't know what would keep me playing it once I complete the main mission. 

Having said that however, even if I didn't stick with it I'd still probably be getting my money's worth when compared to other typical non-mmo shooters.

I like all those things too I just worry about the game going up against free games. I think it will try p2p and revery to f2p like Tera did. Now Tera is a beast financially like p2p never happen.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I posted a longer review of the problems with this title, but after another day's play I have come to the following conclusion:

This is a bad console port. The UI is fucking awefull. Apart from that it's merely average in all other respects, with the additional fault that the MMO aspects are severly lacking.

Not worth £35, plus DLC to get the rest of the races. Not with games like Global Agenda being F2P, or when compared to GW2 (as an example of B2P).

I may wait 3-4 months for the price to drop to £10, then pick it up. If the population is still active.

I can honestly say it gets better as you get stronger. I try and give every game I review now atleast 10 hours of play. This is one of those games that first few hours don't tell the story well. You might want to work on that because you lose people in the first few hours.