Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hickman´s latest "State of the Game". Discuss.

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I like the "more quality of life, less content"-stench in this letter.

They started this game with interviews like "yeah, we maybe will bring dozens of new planets out over the time" and "monthly updates"......and what did they do? I remember the bad joke, the new dailies on corellia were. 5 dailies in a quickly revamped and recycled area? Oh come on....

What about the continuation of the personal story? Nothing! What about the ilum-overhaul? Nothing!

I had high hopes for this game, but this company just crushed everyone of them with every content-patch. Nevertheless i had fun for a few months, but this game had so much more potential than this.

Hodor!

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    so in another thread people are praising TERA's f2p left and right because 1.4 million have registered for TERA *since launch*, not just f2p.

But swtor has 2mill since f2p and its bad?

Because Tera is a joke of a korean grinder with flashy graphics. For Tera it is great to have such a high number, because everything except the combat is a cheap hollow shell.

This here (SWTOR) could have been so much more. They had so much more money, manpower and ideas, but failed ridiculously.

Hodor!

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Korusus

Two things:  #1) Only subscribers spend money in that cash shop, that's the harsh reality.  2 million is god awful considering the likely attrition rate of F2P players.

#2) Jeff Hickman is an idiot.  The fact that he's in charge proves EA just wants to bleed this thing dry until it dies.

so in another thread people are praising TERA's f2p left and right because 1.4 million have registered for TERA *since launch*, not just f2p.

Yes, when it comes to TOR there is a double standard. It's been that way since day one. 

I'm also curious about that claim of "only subscribers pay money in the cash shop." Where's your proof? 

More people quit SWTOR in first few months than ever played TERA.

Even if we disregard investment/IP....what double standard are we talking about here lol

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    So now TOR went from being a WoW killer to competing with TERA. That is pretty bad.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

tera only tanked badly in west,,partially because of eu partners

i think theyre doing better back home

and they can survive on a very small playerbase

with sto giving away expansion with new faction in may, that will also drain from the F2P crowd

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by simplius

tera only tanked badly in west,,partially because of eu partners

i think theyre doing better back home

and they can survive on a very small playerbase

with sto giving away expansion with new faction in may, that will also drain from the F2P crowd

Nope, Tera was a flop back home, its review in Japan was funny as hell with their saying the story is barely F2P quality which says a LOT about the game...

Anyway, back to the topic. There is ZERO in that interview that gives any actual details in terms of numbers, I will wait for EAs first quarterly stock holders calls because the last one they combined SWTORs numbers with two other games and that is something EA ALWAYS does when they are trying to hide how bad products are doing.

You have to watch for key words with these corporations. When they stop talking like a normal person and start throwing out business speak "numbers are up" instead of something specific...they are hiding that it isnt as successful as they wanted because they would actually be telling you what those numbers are.

100,000 people spending money can be UP if the last time it was 99,999 people spending money.

As for the 2 million new accounts remark. Doesnt matter, what DOES matter is how many of them are still playing, how many of them actually spent money to upgrade their accounts and how many became subscribers....everything else is just fluff, even AoC topped 1 million new accounts since going F2P and the game on US servers points to less than 3% of that 1 million being active today...and going by Funcoms lack of revenue...few are spending money...to be expected on those extremely high priced shop items.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Two things:  #1) Only subscribers spend money in that cash shop, that's the harsh reality.  2 million is god awful considering the likely attrition rate of F2P players.

#2) Jeff Hickman is an idiot.  The fact that he's in charge proves EA just wants to bleed this thing dry until it dies.

Yes, when it comes to TOR there is a double standard. It's been that way since day one. 

I'm also curious about that claim of "only subscribers pay money in the cash shop." Where's your proof? 

the same reason, that KELLOGGS  are more expensive , than a no name brand

the same reason, that made them buy the IP, instead of just making their own mmo

TOR is a continuation of a franchise that started ten years ago with Knights of the Old Republic. This company already had a track record with the IP. 

the same reason, that makes people drive by a broken toyota, but make them stop and take pictures of a broken ferrari

Yes, some people are very odd. Sane people continue driving., not slow down traffic because of morbid curiousity.

money and size do matter, after all

imagine, how this game would have fared without STAR WARS,,just based on its performance

the whole universe would have collapsed around it

Speculation that could be said for any game that's ever had the Star Wars name attached to it. I know speaking for myself that it takes much more than the brand to keep me playing. If this was just another boring, broken and grindy text based MMO I wouldn't be playing it. Star Wars or no Star Wars. I wouldn't have lasted a month. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

the same reason, that KELLOGGS  are more expensive , than a no name brand

the same reason, that made them buy the IP, instead of just making their own mmo

TOR is a continuation of a franchise that started ten years ago with Knights of the Old Republic. This company already had a track record with the IP. 

the same reason, that makes people drive by a broken toyota, but make them stop and take pictures of a broken ferrari

Yes, some people are very odd. Sane people continue driving., not slow down traffic because of morbid curiousity.

money and size do matter, after all

imagine, how this game would have fared without STAR WARS,,just based on its performance

the whole universe would have collapsed around it

Speculation that could be said for any game that's ever had the Star Wars name attached to it. I know speaking for myself that it takes much more than the brand to keep me playing. If this was just another boring, broken and grindy text based MMO I wouldn't be playing it. Star Wars or no Star Wars. I wouldn't have lasted a month. 

boring, grindy, broken cinematic-based MMO = ok? wtf. This sounds like the difference for you (because objectively SWTOR is bereft of features) is the cutscenes, which are driven by the Star Wars element.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Bad Orb, Jeff Hickman has a pretty spotty record. He started out as a Customer service rep for DAOC and somehow wound up heading up WAR. WAR went abysmally, and he didn't seem to learn much from it. In fact, he blames the failure to a large degree to the public events in WAR's PVE, which was actually pretty innovative. (Guild Wars pretty much swiped it from that game.)

He put on a rosy PR face as the game slipped into maintenance mode; and he appears to be doing the same thing for EA in regard to SWTOR.

Besides his everything is rosy speech, he mentions that there will be a cartel coin paid for barbershop. He has changed the "cadence" to 8 weeks.

Most alarmingly, he seems to imply that after Makeb (which appears to have been ready for launch in June of 2012, it was worked on prior to launch, the new OP was datamined in Feb of 2012) the new content would primarily be quality of life improvements.

One can interpet that to mean they're out of playable game content to release, and won't be funding anymore. Just new (Cartel) quality of life improvements every 2 months.

Makeb April, Cather June, Barbershop August, etc.

I could be wrong, I hope for your sake I am.

In regard to those 2 million new FTP accounts, well they are about to hit a giant paywall called Makeb.

The game could really use a shot in the arm.

I am interpreting your post to say that TOR has slipped into maintenance mode and with the except of this new expansion, (which was ready long ago) There will be no more new content for the game until the day it shuts down. Cause... that's what maintenance mode is just bug fixing, etc... and with the lack of funding you speak of, surely this is the beginning of the end. 

Is this correct? Cause I would love to quote you on this later.

Originally posted by ignore_me

boring, grindy, broken cinematic-based MMO = ok? wtf. This sounds like the difference for you (because objectively SWTOR is bereft of features) is the cutscenes, which are driven by the Star Wars element.

For me it isn't boring nor grindy.The cinematics along with the ability to choose how the conversation goes is what seperates it from everything else.  And broken? Please. The gameplay is very smooth and I run into very few issues. It's not like  NPcs appear in walls, or in the middle of the ocean, or I'm stuck in a starport or in the depths of a planet unable to get out.I don't get kicked back to desktop nor do I have to deal with much loot nor kill stealing as I do in most games since most quests take place in a phase. Plus there is no alpha classes ruining PVP. I manage to find plenty to do in this game. Sorry that this isn't the game for you but I'm going to continue to enjoy it. But don't worry, there's still plenty of boring and broken  text based MMOs out there for you to play. In fact most are pretty much being given away for nothing at this point. Might want to try one of those. 

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    You cant like the game or not, the fact is: they really have a lot of people playing the game, is still the most populated MMO in the west but WoW, and is getting better and growing everyday, but also the hate around swtor is still strong and growing as long as the game keep running and working. Is far from perfect, still need really a lot of work, but MMOs need time, Did you remember STO years ago?, look at the game now, is probably one of the most populated F2P mmo in the west. The swtor population is good (all the servers at primetime are full, heavy and very heavy, and they have megaserver technology), but people keep talking about how the game is a fail and will die. 
  • Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    You cant like the game or not, the fact is: they really have a lot of people playing the game, is still the most populated MMO in the west but WoW, and is getting better and growing everyday, but also the hate around swtor is still strong and growing as long as the game keep running and working. Is far from perfect, still need really a lot of work, but MMOs need time, Did you remember STO years ago?, look at the game now, is probably one of the most populated F2P mmo in the west. The swtor population is good (all the servers at primetime are full, heavy and very heavy, and they have megaserver technology), but people keep talking about how the game is a fail and will die. 

that is a opinion,

EA is the only one who has the facts.  unfortunately they haven't been very forthcoming when it comes to sub numbers.

Originally posted by Pongo_

that is a opinion,

EA is the only one who has the facts.  unfortunately they haven't been very forthcoming when it comes to sub numbers.

Opinions is pretty much all that gets posted around here, what else is new? . Except of course the proof for the supposed fact from a poster  that said only subs buy into the cartel market. I'm still waiting on that proof. I think some posters missed that lesson you're suppose to learn in grade school about the difference between opinion and fact. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    , is still the most populated MMO in the west but WoW

that, is simply IMPOSSIBRU.

apart from WOW there are at least 5 MMOs with equal or better population:

EvE

Secret World

Age of Conan

Guild Wars 2

TERA

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by FromHell

EvE

Secret World

Age of Conan

Guild Wars 2

TERA

According to what information? I agree WoW and Guid Wars 2 have better population. TERA slided down after few weeks of hype already, EVE possible but I would say with about 32-35k concurrent players might be equal... I log to EVE from time to time...

No other game is coming close, at least not on western market

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

but since this is a luxury item, opinion becomes fact,,the customer is always right

if they dont deliver, the crowd looks for a better place

and with an evergrowing number of mmos, the alternatives will always have new content

so now we have the modern mmo player,,usually jumping between 4-5  games

and that is good for the market,,keeps the devs on their toes, and making new stuff

blizzard has had it too easy lately,,partially because of players like me , who just let the sub keep running,

even when i was in other games

voteing with your wallet is the strongest signal

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by FromHell

EvE

Secret World

Age of Conan

Guild Wars 2

TERA

According to what information? I agree WoW and Guid Wars 2 have better population. TERA slided down after few weeks of hype already, EVE possible but I would say with about 32-35k concurrent players might be equal... I log to EVE from time to time...

No other game is coming close, at least not on western market

Once again, PROOF please. 

but since this is a luxury item, opinion becomes fact,,the customer is always right

Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time in the customer service industry I can say that statment is not even close to being true. That old adage needs to be amended to fit today's times which would be more like " The customer is always a cheapsake who wants something for nothing." 

if they dont deliver, the crowd looks for a better place

and with an evergrowing number of mmos, the alternatives will always have new content

so now we have the modern mmo player,,usually jumping between 4-5  games

and that is good for the market,,keeps the devs on their toes, and making new stuff

blizzard has had it too easy lately,,partially because of players like me , who just let the sub keep running,

even when i was in other games

voteing with your wallet is the strongest signal

Well that is on you then.If I'm not playing a game I'm not subbing. It's not like canceling your WOW account is that difficult. 

For me it isn't boring nor grindy.The cinematics along with the ability to choose how the conversation goes is what seperates it from everything else.  And broken? Please. The gameplay is very smooth and I run into very few issues. It's not like  NPcs appear in walls, or in the middle of the ocean, or I'm stuck in a starport or in the depths of a planet unable to get out.I don't get kicked back to desktop nor do I have to deal with much loot nor kill stealing as I do in most games since most quests take place in a phase. Plus there is no alpha classes ruining PVP. I manage to find plenty to do in this game. Sorry that this isn't the game for you but I'm going to continue to enjoy it. But don't worry, there's still plenty of boring and broken  text based MMOs out there for you to play. In fact most are pretty much being given away for nothing at this point. Might want to try one of those. 

Well welcome to the subjectivity lightning round, where your subjectivity and mine get cancelled out for big prizes.

On the topic of broken, you ever fight Soa? Ever go to Ilum? Have debilitating repair bills for armor? See a tiny version of Satele Shan? See your own companion appear behind your ship in space missions? Have a companion with no head?

And are you honestly telling me that reading is bad?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Well welcome to the subjectivity lightning round, where your subjectivity and mine get cancelled out for big prizes.

On the topic of broken, you ever fight Soa? Ever go to Ilum? Have debilitating repair bills for armor? See a tiny version of Satele Shan? See your own companion appear behind your ship in space missions? Have a companion with no head?

I think tiny Satele got fixed:) Started JK lately (3 of them) and did not encounter this bug. And nope, no companions with no heads, and repair bills are small, as they changed it in last update.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I think tiny Satele got fixed:) Started JK lately (3 of them) and did not encounter this bug. And nope, no companions with no heads, and repair bills are small, as they changed it in last update.

I haven't played in a while, but there have been plenty of issues. I can't give a current list but I'm sure you guys could. Point is, it's just as broken as any MMO.

[mod edit]

On the topic of broken, you ever fight Soa? Ever go to Ilum?

YES

Have debilitating repair bills for armor?

NO

See a tiny version of Satele Shan?

NO

See your own companion appear behind your ship in space missions?

NO

Have a companion with no head?

NO.  And even if any of the above happened to me, none of it would impede my progress in the game. That's the difference between an annoying bug and a gamebreaking bug. When I'm constantly rubberbanding or having jerky combat, that is game breaking at least for me. 

No, I'm trying to tell you that paragraphs of text that don't mean anything is less engaging than a cinematic which allows me to have an actual conversation. Makes me feel like I'm actually a part of what's happening rather than an aron boy. 

Also, why are you getting so angry over this? Does people finding enjoyment in a game that you don't like really upset you that much? Get over it already. 

• Freakboy546Freakboy546 Member Posts: 40
    I spent money in the cash shop and I'm not subbed yet. Maybe I will. But I think I won't since I can buy unlocks on the gtn. But who knows I like the game.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Have a companion with no head?

NO.  And even if any of the above happened to me, none of it would impede my progress in the game. That's the difference between an annoying bug and a gamebreaking bug. When I'm constantly rubberbanding or having jerky combat, that is game breaking at least for me. 

I continually have my companions stuck on lifts, which is exponentially bad during solo runs on lower FP's.

That, I would say, is game breaking.

I've gone down many a lift only to find I was doing everything solo, my companion was in LA-LA land.  Not much I can do while in combat (ie can't dismiss / resummon).

So yeah, having a companion with no head is a "hehe" moment, compared to other atrocities.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

Is Soa still broken.

That fight was challenging only because of glitches. Thats was >than 1 year ago lol.