Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder.. will this game be worth buying?

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I am kindaon the fence about buying this, the game seems fairly basic and doesn't seem to offer much at all. Am I missing something here? Only 4 active abilities is kinda lame, and did they ever fix the pvp where all everyone does is boringly spam rocket launchers? or is it still as broken as it was in a previous beta? I dunno, I played a bit of the last beta and found the game a tad boring just like I did firefall since all you seem to do is brainlessly run around shooting things.

Also did they improve char creation? because in the last beta I was in having everyone be a carbon copy of each other looks wise just made me feel like the game was from the snes/ps1 era in terms of char creation. Or lack there of since there was online like 3 models or something. Kind of a cheesy cop-out for mass pvp imo.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well i made my mind up after a few hours of testing.. and as you have also tested it I would have thought you would have figured out if you like it or not lol :)

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Well i made my mind up after a few hours of testing.. and as you have also tested it I would have thought you would have figured out if you like it or not lol :)

I didn't play for too long, due to it feeling just like firefall which put me to sleep. lol.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Doesnt really play anything like firefall to me, more like borderlands with contantly more people and events, which is basically all I wanted.  The lack of a sub is what saved it for me, or else it would have been a 1 month MMO.

Firefall, plays more like Tribes to me, but there just isnt anything there that I want besides combat, and I just cant play a game thats just combat.

Originally posted by Derros

Doesnt really play anything like firefall to me, more like borderlands with contantly more people and events, which is basically all I wanted. 

Firefall, plays more like Tribes to me, but there just isnt anything there that I want.

Hmm I rather liked borderlands, does it have simmlar humor and such?

or

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Unfortunately doesnt seem that way, since it is tied in and based on with a SyFy (hate that name) show which seems to be more action/drama.

It's more the driving/shooting/item dropping that gives the borderlands feel to me.  Suposedly they held back a good portion of the world from the betas, so we'll see what ends up happening there.

Wildstar seems to have that borderlands feel, over the top humor, but that seems to be more a mash up of GW2/WoW gameplay.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by Derros

Doesnt really play anything like firefall to me, more like borderlands with contantly more people and events, which is basically all I wanted. 

Firefall, plays more like Tribes to me, but there just isnt anything there that I want.

Hmm I rather liked borderlands, does it have simmlar humor and such?

It's very different from Borderlands.

• First person shooter vs. Third person shooter
    • non-persisent world vs persistent world
    • Character classes vs. no character classes
    Defiance is MMO Third person shooter, while Borderlands is more like RPG shooter.

I didn't like Borderlands much (too hectic for me), but I found it much deeper game than Defiance.
  • DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36

Well this is my personal opinion for what is worth...

Character creation very outdated (not much in there)

Dynamic Events = Boring grind after some hours (Remember Rift ....?)

Missions = Standard 3rd person linear. You can find better in single player games and because defiance fails to implement the need for grouping you might be better off.

Challenges : If you are a leaderboard maniac then maybe for a while

PVP : instanced pvp with generic goals (also broken during the last 2 betas)

Overall the game is mediocre, its not all that bad but is not great either. I believe that the all platform gameplay also hurts what it could be …. I couldn’t get an MMO feeling but rather a single player game with lots of ppl running around co-oping .

What I recommended to my blog audience was to consider it of it gets on sale on some time but not to go ahead and buy it . 

The post is not meant to be a flame and is my 2 cents . I believe that the beta can give a very good appraise of the game for anyone to decide if they want to buy it .  

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I'll have to play the new beta weekend, but the first one was sorely lacking in the loot department compared to Borderlands. Even after over six hours of playing, all I got were some basic guns that dealt X damage. So, it didn't feel like a "Borderlands MMO". The skills weren't as interesting, either.

So right now, I'm not buying unless this weekend convinces me otherwise.

Yeah its kinda like firefall a very basic game, firefall has no real loot period your handed everything when you get enough exp to unlock that weapon or gear piece. Think I might stay away from defiance as well. I'd rather buy monster hunter 3 ultimate for my 3ds, cheaper, and i'll probally get more enjoyment out of it than some generic shooter wannabe-mmo.

or

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    I had my doubts about this game.

But for some reason I have been hyped a little. Maybe because I am in the beta and going to try it this weekend....

[mod edit]
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    This is probablythe  worst forums to ask for what game to play or not. Beta weekend is coming up so why not try it and make up your own mind? 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    This is probablythe  worst forums to ask for what game to play or not. Beta weekend is coming up so why not try it and make up your own mind? 

AFAIK its not open beta.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

AFAIK its not open beta.

And yet so easy to get hold of a key and participate in it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I think its going to depend what your looking for.

Looking for a MMOFPS and i think your going to be dissapointed.

Looking for a MMORPG with guns/sci-fi you might enjoy it.

I think this might be the defining game for Trion.  Rift was of high quality (for the most part) whether you liked the game or not, it does what it does well. Can argue its more of the same ect, but that game didnt fail, has remained p2p, has kept a medium community, and has continually seen updates and content added.

If this game retains a decent amount of players, has the same attention to detail and quality built in...i think Trion will have proven themselves a good company, not having been lucky with Rift.

I think the games going to be a heavy themepark, which is one of the reasons Rift held my attention so short (think i got a good 4 months out of it, and only because i attempted to stick with endgame pve).

It might have an additional layer of value if you get into the tv show, which i wont, cant stant tv shows, i expect some will love both and it will probably add to the game, even if the tie in is just fluff.

I expect the tie in to the game to be somewhat heavy at first then taper off into side fluff.

• GeeksWithGamesGeeksWithGames Member Posts: 9

If you are still on the fence about pre-ordering I'd highly recommend it. Having a car off the bat will be great for rushing to the Ark Falls. I just finished some time in the beta before work and it was everything I hoped it would be in more. I love the persistant MMO aspect, the controls are natural on PC and the tech tree and skills are easy. Just being able to run around and complete mini missions without getting taken out of your mail goal is great. Have a look for your self. And again no monthly fee    

Defiance review with commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CerQkyede_M

We are always looking to have a good time with good games. Enlist in the Geeks With Games Army today:
    http://www.youtube.com/geekswithgamesdotcom

I felt the same way, but actually playing the game has totally justified the purchase. Fucking win sauce.

We are always looking to have a good time with good games. Enlist in the Geeks With Games Army today:

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by GeeksWithGames

If you are still on the fence about pre-ordering I'd highly recommend it. Having a car off the bat will be great for rushing to the Ark Falls. I just finished some time in the beta before work and it was everything I hoped it would be in more. I love the persistant MMO aspect, the controls are natural on PC and the tech tree and skills are easy. Just being able to run around and complete mini missions without getting taken out of your mail goal is great. Have a look for your self. And again no monthly fee    

So, as soon as the NDA popped we've had people with new accounts and 3 postings telling us to buy the game...?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5625032

But then, Steam pre-orders are REALLY going slow in this one and haven't even remotely reached the first of three reward stages, so keep them coming.

Well fudge yeah buy the game. Throw all your gold nuggets at the monitor! Right meow! I mean, or not, you could do other things like buy a puppy. Puppies are almost as much fun.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    aside from the VO and opening sequence firefall feels like a higher budget game to me(and i don't even care for firefall that much) which i highly doubt it is in anyway.. very sad about this cancelled my pre-order with amazon.. going to continue to play more this weekend to try out some further along content but overall nothing really peaked my interest while playing. Very few big budget games do i get bored with in the first day.. hell even swtor got a few weeks out of me..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    aside from the VO and opening sequence firefall feels like a higher budget game to me which i highly doubt it is in anyway.. very sad about this cancelled my pre-order with amazon.. going to continue to play more this weekend to try out some further along content but overall nothing really peaked my interest while playing. Very few big budget games do i get bored with in the first day.. hell even swtor got a few weeks out of me..

I dont think ive seen you really like anything but GW2 so im not shocked here.  At that defiance does seem like a more interesting GW2... even when you do seem to like a game your view is more negative towards it than positive.

I will say, there are a lot of similarities with GW2 and this game, which isnt shocking since Rift was a more standard themepark version of GW2 and this game here seems more of a scifi Rift. 

But i think im the opposite of you here, this game seems a lot more interesting, and it does seem to have a slight, i mean really slight, sandboxy character progression.  You dont seem locked into a single class and weapon archtype. Though your skills define that i guess.

And il will mention that this game looks and plays like a much higher budget game than firefall, much higher. 

Who knows.  Engame will be the great equalizer on this game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    aside from the VO and opening sequence firefall feels like a higher budget game to me which i highly doubt it is in anyway.. very sad about this cancelled my pre-order with amazon.. going to continue to play more this weekend to try out some further along content but overall nothing really peaked my interest while playing. Very few big budget games do i get bored with in the first day.. hell even swtor got a few weeks out of me..

I dont think ive seen you really like anything but GW2 so im not shocked here.  At that defiance does seem like a more interesting GW2... even when you do seem to like a game your view is more negative towards it than positive.

I will say, there are a lot of similarities with GW2 and this game, which isnt shocking since Rift was a more standard themepark version of GW2 and this game here seems more of a scifi Rift. 

But i think im the opposite of you here, this game seems a lot more interesting, and it does seem to have a slight, i mean really slight, sandboxy character progression.  You dont seem locked into a single class and weapon archtype. Though your skills define that i guess.

And il will mention that this game looks and plays like a much higher budget game than firefall, much higher. 

Who knows.  Engame will be the great equalizer on this game.

heh i like most MMOs i just happen to like gw2 the most right now but i enjoyed my time in pretty much every major MMO release since meridian 59... but like I said i'm not a huge fan of shooters to begin with but I have enjoy several third person shooters over the years and right now firefall is the only other MMO shooter I have played recently and find firefall(as of the last firefall patch) a more "polished" game overall especially in the overall shooting and movement aspects.. after enjoying Rift for almost a year and a big fan of trion in general I'm just very dissapointed with this game overall.. but again ill give it more playtime but as of about 20 hours played between last beta weekend and this one so far not really enjoying the game much at all.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Game is alright. It won't satisfy the full-time gamers, nor the sandbox crowd, but no game ever does.  It's not the best shooter ever created and it's not the most in-depth MMORPG, but it's a solid mix of both and the combat is more enjoyable than the usual button-mash RPG.

As a hardcore gamer I do wish there was a little bit more depth to the game, but what they have so far works and is a step in the right direction. It is certainly better than the competition.

If you're the type of player who logs in for a couple of hours to shoot the shit then you might like Defiance. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    My first impression is that the UI is total and utter shit designed for consoles (it is releasing on PS3 and 360 as well as PC).  It took me a good 5 mins or so to figure out where the exit game command was.  I think Trion dropped the ball big time with this one and might be in some serious trouble.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• tuscaroratuscarora Member Posts: 52
    Game is trash, tried 3 times, it's basically Borderlands without the fun.
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Played the beta yesterday on my Xbox...it's a lot of fun. Ordered the game today for Xbox.