Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sigh, EA has learning nothing

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

No this is not again about the creative mistakes EA did. Nor about how EA *always* forced games to launch way before they are ready and finished.

No, my friends, this is about COMMUNICATION.

I assume you have heard the term.

Fast backwards to 2011. Some EA bloke dropped the bomb, saying, there are no gay characters in Star Wars. You remember, the Same Gender Romance debate. No, I don't care on which side you stand. Fact was, it took EA FIVE MONTHS to finally open their damn traps and SAY something about the issue, while about 20000 posts of flamwars roared on their forum. No I am not making that number up.

FIVE MONTHS of silence while flames never ceased from both sides, supporters and protesters.

Back to the present.

Sim City is in ruins. Thousands of people (including le me) lost DAYS of progress because savegames were reset or suddenly could for ominous reasons no longer be loaded. Because Sim City was made "kinda as MMO" als Lucy Liar Bradshaw said. That woman who claimed all sims were individually calculated, HENCE the cloud was necessary, which was proven to be a big fat lie. Like most stuff they claimed about the online necessity was LIE flat into the customer faces.

As you might expect, their forums are aflame.

And what does EA tell the customers about this issue?

You guessed it, absofrigginglutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Rien. Nichts! It the sequel: "Silence of the Developers 2" Or rather variant 10 or 20.

You see, it is human to err. I can accept and forgive, I am not that harsh. Really. But if a developer treats me as shit, staying silent and ignoring me, the paying customer, for MONTHS, then I have no respect and no understanding for a company at all. In such a crisis a company needs DAILY clear updated info about the ongoings and possible changes. DAILY!

This company so has lost it. Losing days and days of progress is certaily the most disheartning experience in games you can have. And then not even commenting, not even trying to help and give daily info about the progress is... just so bad and wrong on so many levels, that I think EA really needs to experience a FALL so these sort of arrogant game developers understand the importance of communication.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    So you expect a reply such as "I'm sorry, I'm an idiot, and you deserve better?".  I don't see how it helps.  They'll just keep messing up anyway.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by laokoko
    So you expect a reply such as "I'm sorry, I'm an idiot, and you deserve better?".  I don't see how it helps.  They'll just keep messing up anyway.

I have ZERO desire for apologies.

I want daily updates on the current state of progress. I want detailled info of their plans and what they are going to change, and how far they are listening to the many suggestions.

I want REAL DAILY INFO. I want a company which TALKS to it's customers with real info and reply to the feedback.

I don't want excuses or apologies.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    To the contrary, EA has learned a lot.  They have learned that they can treat you horribly and you don't care.  You'll just go out and buy the next game they release anyway.  If you did care, you wouldn't have bought Sim City 5 in the first place, and thus would have nothing to complain about.  Their latest hijinx are about what you'd expect from their track record over the course of the past two decades or so.  If you were ever going to hold it against them, you would already have done so.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

The free game was a pretty decent gesture, imo, especially compared to many other poor launches for games where the companies handed out nothing but apologies.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like always online DRM, but it's here to stay (unfortunately). I also am not happy with the myriad of issues that could have been taken care of with stress testing and a more open beta. I am also not happy with the blatant misrepresentation of game mechanics.

At this point though, I own the game, and I will hope that the issues are resolved. I have a belief that the game will be extremely enjoyable if they can get these issues worked out. If they don't fix the overwhelming issues though, I most likely won't purchase another Maxis/EA game (which I don't own many of to begin with).

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

im sorry... i really am.. but you expect daily info from maxis-EA.... and/or from EA.... im going out on a limb here and assume you spent the last 20yrs in the deep forest with a birdnest in your hair/hat...

cause if there is one thing EA and maxis dont do .. is daily info.. infact any info is damn near rare unless something explodes. 

its been that way since maxis was bought up by ea and ea always works like that since the mid 2000s. 

if its not majorly broken.. they dont tell you shit. hell it took maxis several months to fix their first XP for the sims 3 as it was a huge cluster fk of failure. so im really not shocked by the clustering fks of cluster fks that is simcity now.  (im waiting for a torrent to actually demo that game to see if its even worth spending money on)

the cloud stuff is total BS. the 24/7 DRM is total BS as people made mods that disable that, you only need online to really save city data or something ... so ya most of what you hear on simcity is BS from maxis-ea... 

so you want daily updates.. the best you will get is "everything is working as intended".... 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by laokoko

I have ZERO desire for apologies.

I want daily updates on the current state of progress. I want detailled info of their plans and what they are going to change, and how far they are listening to the many suggestions.

I want REAL DAILY INFO. I want a company which TALKS to it's customers with real info and reply to the feedback.

I don't want excuses or apologies.

can you pretend there are gay characters?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Sigh, EA has learning nothing

I think it is a general principle of the rich and powerful that they DON'T learn from or change for the faceless masses.

They seek to manipulate and duped them. lol.

So yeah, probably no point being naive about this.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Ichmen

im sorry... i really am.. but you expect daily info from maxis-EA.... and/or from EA.... im going out on a limb here and assume you spent the last 20yrs in the deep forest with a birdnest in your hair/hat...

cause if there is one thing EA and maxis dont do .. is daily info.. infact any info is damn near rare unless something explodes. 

its been that way since maxis was bought up by ea and ea always works like that since the mid 2000s. 

if its not majorly broken.. they dont tell you shit. hell it took maxis several months to fix their first XP for the sims 3 as it was a huge cluster fk of failure. so im really not shocked by the clustering fks of cluster fks that is simcity now.  (im waiting for a torrent to actually demo that game to see if its even worth spending money on)

the cloud stuff is total BS. the 24/7 DRM is total BS as people made mods that disable that, you only need online to really save city data or something ... so ya most of what you hear on simcity is BS from maxis-ea... 

so you want daily updates.. the best you will get is "everything is working as intended".... 

Yeah you probably right. :(

But hey, there are worse ways to spent you time than 20 years in a forest with a bird nest in the hair. ;)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

I learned.  I don't think I've bought an EA game since DA:O.     And if I was going to, it wouldn't be new at full price, or include installing Origin.

They're incompetant, Hollywood, big business schmucks, and have been for a while.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The sooner EA goes out of business the sooner they'll stop buying and ruining other great game companies. I could care less how often they give updates on games. Look at every company they've ever bought...and look what they've done to every single one of them.

They make money by selling bastardized versions of games those great companies once made. They have one of the bloodiest track records when it comes to ruined franchises, in the business.

• InvaderGUIInvaderGUI Member Posts: 62

Why should EA care about your lost save game? You were already foolish enough to believe the lies that EA spouts and pay money for that garbage. Ea got payed and therefore why should they care if you are unable to play the game. This is the very reason why this is the first Sim City I will never buy. EA is a joke but the bigger laugh are the millions of fools that keep giving EA their money. And as long as there are fools to give EA money then EA will always think they are doing the right thing. Why should EA change when people just  hand over their money like it grows on trees then complain about how bad EA is. I am very glad I did not buy into the lies that Sim City would not experience these sort of problems and purchase that garbage.

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Kaneth

The free game was a pretty decent gesture, imo, especially compared to many other poor launches for games where the companies handed out nothing but apologies.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like always online DRM, but it's here to stay (unfortunately). I also am not happy with the myriad of issues that could have been taken care of with stress testing and a more open beta. I am also not happy with the blatant misrepresentation of game mechanics.

At this point though, I own the game, and I will hope that the issues are resolved. I have a belief that the game will be extremely enjoyable if they can get these issues worked out. If they don't fix the overwhelming issues though, I most likely won't purchase another Maxis/EA game (which I don't own many of to begin with).

Always online DRM is only here to stay if IDIOTS keep buying the crap.

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    To the contrary, EA has learned a lot.  They have learned that they can treat you horribly and you don't care.  You'll just go out and buy the next game they release anyway.  If you did care, you wouldn't have bought Sim City 5 in the first place, and thus would have nothing to complain about.  Their latest hijinx are about what you'd expect from their track record over the course of the past two decades or so.  If you were ever going to hold it against them, you would already have done so.

win

• Bigmac1910Bigmac1910 Member Posts: 19

Only casual gamers can be treated that way, and only to a certain point, but if the hardcore stops the word to mouth recommendation, or saying bad things about a game, much less casuals will play those games. It is happening already, EA is not doing good, Bioware is almost history etc, hence the "resignation" of  Riccitello, and I think us hardcore has had enough of bullshit. I haven't bought an EA game since ME3 and that is not about to change for a long while. Im curious to see if the new CEO can turn that ship around. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hmm, EA was unresponsive and treated their customers badly in SWTOR, yet people went out and bought this new game and expected them to behave differently? Why, what changed, EA has been the same evil empire for quite some time now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    OP title should read: I have learned nothing from past dealings with EA.

• Bigmac1910Bigmac1910 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Hmm, EA was unresponsive and treated their customers badly in SWTOR, yet people went out and bought this new game and expected them to behave differently? Why, what changed, EA has been the same evil empire for quite some time now.

Just becuase it's SIM CITY and not an mmo, people were hoping that it would be ok. I think this was the last straw for even the most apologetic gamer, EA will have a really hard time from now on. Not to sell a million or two, but to sell five or more which they are aiming at, and need. Also, can't think of any major EA franchises left to be as excited about anymore.

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

win

WINS ++

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Truth hurts but well said. People get what they deserve. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

No this is not again about the creative mistakes EA did. Nor about how EA *always* forced games to launch way before they are ready and finished.

Fast backwards to 2011. Some EA bloke dropped the bomb, saying, there are no gay characters in Star Wars. You remember, the Same Gender Romance debate. No, I don't care on which side you stand. Fact was, it took EA FIVE MONTHS to finally open their damn traps and SAY something about the issue, while about 20000 posts of flamwars roared on their forum. No I am not making that number up.

FIVE MONTHS of silence while flames never ceased from both sides, supporters and protesters.

Back to the present.

Sim City is in ruins. Thousands of people (including le me) lost DAYS of progress because savegames were reset or suddenly could for ominous reasons no longer be loaded. Because Sim City was made "kinda as MMO" als Lucy Liar Bradshaw said. That woman who claimed all sims were individually calculated, HENCE the cloud was necessary, which was proven to be a big fat lie. Like most stuff they claimed about the online necessity was LIE flat into the customer faces.

You guessed it, absofrigginglutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Rien. Nichts! It the sequel: "Silence of the Developers 2" Or rather variant 10 or 20.

You see, it is human to err. I can accept and forgive, I am not that harsh. Really. But if a developer treats me as shit, staying silent and ignoring me, the paying customer, for MONTHS, then I have no respect and no understanding for a company at all. In such a crisis a company needs DAILY clear updated info about the ongoings and possible changes. DAILY!

This company so has lost it. Losing days and days of progress is certaily the most disheartning experience in games you can have. And then not even commenting, not even trying to help and give daily info about the progress is... just so bad and wrong on so many levels, that I think EA really needs to experience a FALL so these sort of arrogant game developers understand the importance of communication.

They sack there ceo becouse of this disaster.

But your question was would they learn from there mistakes or learn to communicate.

At some degree yes but as you also know most time they fall to old habbits and make same mistakes over again and again or dont communicate at all. Eather replace all employees or nothing will change this is just something that they have learn over long period of time(company culture), there so big that they realy dont care much they fail or not, they get there pay check and move on.

Passionate and realy caring devolepers and pusblishers are rare(CDProject one of few-Bethesda maybe?) and others out there maybe?)but majority just dont have the skills or care to communicate and can avoid mistakes.

Only thing you can do is (i did this already years ago avoid EA like the plague) dont buy games from EA.

Buy from those who care and actually communicate with there fanbase.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Always amazes me how so many people constantly complain about EA but then run out and buy the latest piece of drivel they produce, they are like moths to flame.  Here is a radical idea, If you hate EA and want them gone from the games industry then DO NOT BUY THEIR STUFF.  Simple really aint it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Back to the present.

http://www.simcityfansite.com/2013/02/developers-apologise-for-save-refresh.html 

Bradshaw said EA would give players a free PC game to compensate for the hassles. Players who registered copies of "SimCity" will receive details on how to download the free game March 18.

"I know that's a little contrived - kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy," she said. "But we feel bad about what happened. We're hoping you won't stay mad and that we'll be friends again when 'SimCity' is running at 100 percent."Bradshaw said EA would give players a free PC game to compensate for the hassles. Players who registered copies of "SimCity" will receive details on how to download the free game March 18. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291373/SimCity-creators-apologize-disastrous-launch-newest-edition.html

Truly Elikal it s#cks what happend but try to keep up with facts else you're no better with spreading lies then those you call out to be liars.

Edit dubble copy/paste text and added link

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Back to the present.

http://www.simcityfansite.com/2013/02/developers-apologise-for-save-refresh.html 
    Bradshaw said EA would give players a free PC game to compensate for the hassles. Players who registered copies of "SimCity" will receive details on how to download the free game March 18.

"I know that's a little contrived - kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy," she said. "But we feel bad about what happened. We're hoping you won't stay mad and that we'll be friends again when 'SimCity' is running at 100 percent."Bradshaw said EA would give players a free PC game to compensate for the hassles. Players who registered copies of "SimCity" will receive details on how to download the free game March 18.

"I know that's a little contrived - kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy," she said. "But we feel bad about what happened. We're hoping you won't stay mad and that we'll be friends again when 'SimCity' is running at 100 percent."

Truly Elikal it s#cks what happend but try to keep up with facts else you're no better with spreading lies then those you call out to be liars.

My thoughts exactly.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

after warhammer online: "EA is so bad, i will never buy a game of them again!"

*bought all EA games meanwhile*

next error after some years: "EA is so bad, i will never buy a game of them again!"

this is getting more than just annoying ^^

dont buy games too early if you can't stand bugs. ever heard that before? no? welcome to the world of online gaming.

"but i am playing alone!!!!!" - no you are not.

ps: it seems like sim city DOES require alot of online action, no idea why you pretend it does not. do you see any torrent or anything of it yet? i don't. pure coincidence i bet :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Thane

after warhammer online: "EA is so bad, i will never buy a game of them again!"

*bought all EA games meanwhile*

next error after some years: "EA is so bad, i will never buy a game of them again!"

this is getting more than just annoying ^^

dont buy games too early if you can't stand bugs. ever heard that before? no? welcome to the world of online gaming.

"but i am playing alone!!!!!" - no you are not.

ps: it seems like sim city DOES require alot of online action, no idea why you pretend it does not. do you see any torrent or anything of it yet? i don't. pure coincidence i bet :)

There are torrents around :P just that the big groups haven't launched anything yet because EA made it so that saving the game requires their servers but if you want to play the game without saving you can do that already, get your facts straight.