Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clearing up the *new* Faction Lock

1235»

Comments

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    PB, its already been confirmed when youre in another factions zone at level 50, the only other human players you see are fellow people from your faction doing the quests there. So a Level 1 in a zone wont see a Level 50 who is coming over to quest, its instanced/phased off from that faction. So it confuses me how apparently Open PVP is confirmed yet from all the legitimate sources (developers interviews) we've seen youre blocked off from the other factions except in Cyrodill and except when doing dungeons apparently 
  • pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    "Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions."

No it hasn't, stop spreading lies.
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Paul Sage just said today or yesterday you're phased off when questing in the other factions zone. This isnt "spreading lies" the video LITERALLY said, so you wont see a level 50 coming to your faction when youre just a level 1, so you couldnt even "grief" players if you wanted to.

You cant be a level 50 in one faction, go to the other, and boost up your level 1 friend in another faction.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by pb1285n
    No one is going to listen to me, but this post is all speculation and grossly inaccurate. Can we please stop jumping to conclusions. The misconceptions about this game are unbelievable. I've never seen such craziness.

No your quoting 1 interview. There is like 3 videos of interviews with devs all saying the same thing. You wont see other factions. Goto youtube and search "Elder scrolls online" and filter for the last 24hrs and you will find them. The factions are not teaming together. Its just like the OP said.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by jfoytek Originally posted by Tuktz      If you see enemy players in your pve zone that you can't attack, that destroys immerssion big time. If you see enemy players in your pve zone, and you can both attack eachother (open faction pvp), that makes the whole GAME rvr which wouldn't work either. It's been shown time after time again, that for games that want BIG playerbases, the majority enjoying have the CHOICE when to PVP, not to have it on all the time. There's also a big portion that will only EVER pve, and never check out PVP.    
    Odd, I could swear that the largest game off all time allows open world pvp, maybe you heard of WoW it seeminly did okay!
      even wow's pvp wasn't entirely open. i do somewhat agree with you in regard to pvp, i wish there was an option for open pvp everywhere. but i do believe that cyrodiil pvp will be decent just because there are pve aspects as well. there will be pve quests, caves, and dungeons to explore, which will create danger and force you to watch your back, as well as fight for pve content control. which IMO is what makes open pvp the best type of pvp out there.
    I like this change quite a bit.  I may check out this game at release should the PvE prove interesting.

I don't see how throwing a few PvE mobs in WvW in GW2 or in one zone in this game is the same as open world PvP.  Who goes into WvW to kill PvE mobs?  I like open PvP or PvP that actually has consequences...this game doesn't have it.

its more than just simply killing mobs. there will be quests to do and caves to explore, just like any other pve area.

by the way, i realize you like open pvp "with consequence" assuming you mean item loot.

but zone or resource control in pvp definitely does serve as a consequence in open pvp IMO.

for me, the funnest thing about open pvp is having to watch your back because you can get jumped at any time when you are otherwise distracted by whatever it is you are doing at the time.

you don't get that feeling of danger when everyone is just zerging pvp objectives.

from what i have read, cyrodiil will very much be an open pvp area confined to that one area.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by baphamet

endgame raiding is an exclusive themepark feature, that is why permadeath and themepark games just don't mix.

but again, how did you put up the the ES series being such a hardcore sandbox fan and themepark hater? just curious, because ES's has always featured themepark type qualities as well as sandbox ones.

TESO is shaping up to be a sandpark game lol

A) I have never supported perma death or asked for perma death in this thread, while that would be a cool freature in a PvP exclusive MMO title TES is not that its an MMO for the mass's meaning Carebears, PK's and crafters... 

B) I am not a hardcore Sandbox fan in your sense of the definition, no one can seem to agree on what Sandbox and Theampark really mean.

My definition of a Sandbox is a World Map that allows you to travel everywhere in it at any time, no need to unlock zones via questing and no loading screen's the only allow a certain group of players into it....

Theampark: Is content that is unlocked via a quest trigger or a loading screen like dungeons inside of WoW... Not a fan of this because it creates an instanced part of the world that only allows particular people into it....

Now my definition of a sandbox/theampark has zero impact on single player TES games as I was the only person in the game world.....

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by baphamet
    even wow's pvp wasn't entirely open. i do somewhat agree with you in regard to pvp, i wish there was an option for open pvp everywhere.

but i do believe that cyrodiil pvp will be decent just because there are pve aspects as well.

there will be pve quests, caves, and dungeons to explore, which will create danger and force you to watch your back, as well as fight for pve content control.

which IMO is what makes open pvp the best type of pvp out there.

Sorry but the voluntary fix for pvp never works...  Felucca was a desert when trammel was created even I went to trammel to PvE as why needlessly put yourself into danger if the game doesnt force it apon you....

For Example Wurm Online Epic servers that I play on....  I rarely go raiding nor do I pvp but the danger is ever looming at all times over my head....  Yes raids happen on occasion, so your crafting routine gets broken up a bit, but it adds spice, danger, and risk which makes your daily activities and accomplishments more rewarding!

Sure you can toss some PvE content in a PvP zone but it will get ingnored for safer content unless the reward for said PvE content is great enough to temp the risk...

And finally when you create designated pvp area's inside of an RvR game you are creating a recipe for huge zerg type battles and the smaller 1v1 2v2 and 3v3 battles where pvp is the most interesting are much harder to come bye....  Those battles are found more commonly in open world PvP and quite often are the most fun!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Still terrible.

You can group with enemies.  Nevermind the forced factions that they made up makes no sense in ES lore.  The fact that you can group and communicate with your enemies in this three faction setup is completely asinine in my opnion.  What is the point of the war then?  Why don't we just all be buddies at max level and have pillow fights?

There should have never been factions in the first place.  You should just have the choice of one of the LORE friendly guilds within the game at some point during your character progression, just like the single player games.  The PvP should have been player guild based and the world should be accessible by all players.  I can't stand the megaserver idea, it destroys community.  I hate heavily instanced and phased games, it destroys immersion.  Oh, no housing either, what a surprise.  

Well, at least they sort of got the crafting right.  

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Still terrible.

You can group with enemies.  Nevermind the forced factions that they made up makes no sense in ES lore.  The fact that you can group and communicate with your enemies in this three faction setup is completely asinine in my opnion.  What is the point of the war then?  Why don't we just all be buddies at max level and have pillow fights?

There should have never been factions in the first place.  You should just have the choice of one of the LORE friendly guilds within the game at some point during your character progression, just like the single player games.  The PvP should have been player guild based and the world should be accessible by all players.  I can't stand the megaserver idea, it destroys community.  I hate heavily instanced and phased games, it destroys immersion.  Oh, no housing either, what a surprise.  

Well, at least they sort of got the crafting right.  

You can't. There is some mis-understanding regarding this issue. The only players you can see when level 50 and in opposing factions territory are other level 50 players from your faction. You won't be seeing any enemy players. Your in a different instance than the enemy with different quests.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Tuktz

IT's basically just the PVE players equivalent of factional warfare.

It turns the other two factions lands into PVE endgame content.

The big distinction though, is that say you're faction A, and you can go to B or C at endgame for more PVE.

The B or C zones will basically be redisnged specifically for A to come to for endgame PVE. You won't see real B or C players, and the zones will be different than actual real B or C players see them (since to B or C players, those are leveling up zones, not endgame zones).

It's an interesting way to both appease exploreres that want to see the whole world, as well as a creative way to create endgame content.

Doesn't please the open world PVPers that want to see enemy players everywhere in the world, and the minority that also wants to be able to attack them anywhere in the world.

I was fine with how things were to begin with though, so this news is more just kind of "shrug, interesting...." to me.

To me this explanation shows the greatness of the team, i am sure that i will. Love this, as long as those pesky npc react like they should when they see people from the hostile realm.

And maybe after release they can even put in a quest that allows max level players to actually change faction, butso far this is more then enough for me. And for the PvP hordes, the contesting PvP areas should be large enough to sattisfy any PvPer.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

It seems like ZM needs to update the official website with a lot of this info so that we can just point there and say, 'Look, this is their plan for the cross faction zones, not some misunderstanding by a journalist.' Since the data dump there's been no official effort to clear up conflicting statements, and nothing has gone up on their main site except a new developer question and links to all the various media coverage.

Right now, I want to believe the video interview that says you'll never see another faction PC unless it's in PvP, but that possible statement from Sage about cross faction grouping is niggling in the back of my mind.