Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a new Wireless Mouse!!! Any suggestions?

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by syntax42
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Is there some reason why you want a wireless mouse as opposed to a wired one?  The wire is what makes it work reliably, and wireless technology is intrinsically unreliable.

You said that the reason is because you take your laptop and mouse to work and on the road.  That's a reason to want a laptop as opposed to a desktop.  It's not a reason to want a wireless mouse as opposed to a wired one.  Wired mice are highly portable, too.  If the cord is too long for your taste, you can use a twist tie to keep it mostly tied up and effectively much shorter.

QFE. Wireless = garbage.

That's a bit of an overstatement.  A quality wireless mouse may have slight nuances which make it slightly inferior to a wired mouse of the same model.  It just depends on what you buy.

As I said, my Logitech M510 has not caused me any issues for gaming or regular use that others claim plague wireles mice.  Sleep mode is barely noticeable.  I have had no interference issues or any kind of lack of responsiveness.  The durability is great and the battery life is amazing.  I think people are either buying cheap wireless mice or putting their receivers too far from the mouse.

It depends on what you buy, and what you have nearby that could interfere with the signal, and a bunch of other things.  It's not a question of whether wireless is less reliable than wired; it's only a question of how much less.  Under some circumstances, the answer can be "not very".  But that's hard to predict, as wireless interference can be finicky.

If a wired mouse will work for your needs, then get a wired mouse.  Whether it's a lot better than a wireless mouse would have been or only a little, it's better--and cheaper.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I have had this G700 from Logitech for 3 years and it still works like its brand new. I did replace the feet once so far on it because the Razor Vespula pad (awesome pad even though its a bit pricey) I use seems to eat them up a bit (probably because I push down it when I get all ramped up playing FPS games). I use Sanyo 2400mah batteries in it and when it goes dead I pop in another one off the charger. It also has a wired usb connection but I never use it because I hate wired mice. The software is pretty good for it, you can pretty much do anything with it and the dpi on the fly changes are great for whatever you want, there are 5 different ones you can change to whatever you like in incriments of 50 from 200-5700. I use around 400 for sniping in FPS games all the way up to 3200 in Skyrim.

The usb little transmitter I have plugged into the back of my keyboard which is right below the mouse on a pull out shelf thing and never had a problem with connection. I can walk across my room and the mouse still works.

The only thing that sucks is the scrolling is not smooth on web pages, there used to be a program they had but they just updated the software for the mouse and now it doesnt scroll smooth anymore. There is probably something I can do about it but I'm used to it now so I don't really care. But that is the only complaint I have about it.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by syntax42
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Is there some reason why you want a wireless mouse as opposed to a wired one?  The wire is what makes it work reliably, and wireless technology is intrinsically unreliable. You said that the reason is because you take your laptop and mouse to work and on the road.  That's a reason to want a laptop as opposed to a desktop.  It's not a reason to want a wireless mouse as opposed to a wired one.  Wired mice are highly portable, too.  If the cord is too long for your taste, you can use a twist tie to keep it mostly tied up and effectively much shorter.

QFE. Wireless = garbage.

That's a bit of an overstatement.  A quality wireless mouse may have slight nuances which make it slightly inferior to a wired mouse of the same model.  It just depends on what you buy.

As I said, my Logitech M510 has not caused me any issues for gaming or regular use that others claim plague wireles mice.  Sleep mode is barely noticeable.  I have had no interference issues or any kind of lack of responsiveness.  The durability is great and the battery life is amazing.  I think people are either buying cheap wireless mice or putting their receivers too far from the mouse.

It depends on what you buy, and what you have nearby that could interfere with the signal, and a bunch of other things.  It's not a question of whether wireless is less reliable than wired; it's only a question of how much less.  Under some circumstances, the answer can be "not very".  But that's hard to predict, as wireless interference can be finicky.

If a wired mouse will work for your needs, then get a wired mouse.  Whether it's a lot better than a wireless mouse would have been or only a little, it's better--and cheaper.

I have used a lot of wireless mice that people said were "fine." Those people must not PVP. At all. In 3 different states and in parta of western Europe, the 3 wireless mice I tried were each terribly slow. Maybe if a person's own reaction times are slow, they won't notice. I don't know. But, insofar as my gaming experiences, wireless mice have been light years behind. Anyway, this guy you quoted reminds me of a guy I rand into the other day. He said Windows 8 was a fine gaming OS. Sure, ot *might* work fine for some people, but there is also a chance that it will render your gaming rig useless out of nowhere and have to be replaced. Same with wireless input devices.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.