Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Latest State of the Game Letter Published

Comments

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I'm going to be able to look like a bug!!!!!  Or a chicken!!!
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Man...what I would give for an immersive Stars Wars Universe to explore.  Everyone on this site seems to love cartoon fantasy but the few of us that like dark sci fi (BladeRunner/Star Wars) are stuck with this game...ugh.
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    OMG......every single update so far has been centered around that damn cash shop.  I've yet to see a significant update that wasn't at least 90% about the cash shop.  What's even more insulting is that they still haven't addressed the majority of the "Core" game issues he alluded to in the address.

The Cartel Market is 90% about Cosmetic stuff and 10% about unlocks for the F2P players and Xp boosters, but certainly you´re not playing the game. 

Indeed, and since subscribers get a cartel coin allowance every month anyway it's going to depend on how affordable those customizations are, but it is a perfectly reasonable system to have "cosmetic" features make up the bulk of the cash shop, there's no real "pay to win" in it & the devs seem to be quite strongly stating that's how they wish to stick with things.

Provided the cathar are relatively inexpensive I think the cartel coin stipend subs get each month will cover it nicely. I personally prefer to use my bonus cc on legacy unlocks & character perks anyway so extra options like this provide a nice way to use them to tailor the game to my personal taste more, albeit gradually.

Originally posted by DalekThay
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    If you have any doubts as to the sad state of SWTOR right now, go look at their new 'Covert Energy Boots' on the Cartel Market BW added recently. They are "invisible" so your character appears to be barefoot. I repeat, they are charging RL money for "invisible" boots. Wow, just wow...

This right here is comedy gold. Perhaps they're like the emperor's new clothes, and you need to be deemed a worthy person to see them?

I suppose it doesn't matter though. SWTOR is more cash shop now than game, twisted and greedy.

The game had "Slave-girl" outfits which were very revealing, players have been asking for the ability to have a male equivalent & that's why "invisible" gear was introduced, so players could have parity & have "slave boys" as well as "Slave girls" in looks.

The comedy you highlight is real enough & I did find it funny, just wanted to put it into context.

Originally posted by Mardukk
    Man...what I would give for an immersive Stars Wars Universe to explore.  Everyone on this site seems to love cartoon fantasy but the few of us that like dark sci fi (BladeRunner/Star Wars) are stuck with this game...ugh.

Star Wars wasn't really ever a contender for "Dark Sci-Fi" though, its got quite a lot of humour to it - something I think the game's stories did in fact miss out on.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Rayzer235

I'll just leave this here

"Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman, November 2009:

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning has had a solid first year despite some issues that we're working to address every day. We've seen a great response to 1.3.2, which introduced tremendous performance improvements. A flood of new players are discovering the game every day thanks to the recently released Endless Trial and New User Journey. Moving forward we remain committed to releasing more great patches, continued performance improvements, and changes based upon your valuable feedback!"

The differance here would be the Cartel shop and the fact people are paying around $70 or so for a crate of Cartel pack's (many people have admitted to buying these) and that doesn't count the other offering's on the shop.Such as inventory upgrade's/race unlock's and so on.

War only had new sub's to look for,Swtor is in another league.I would guess that the Cartel shop sale's are outperforming sub's at this point.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I believe that SWTOR is darker than EP 1 , 4 , 5, 6 maybe even than EP 2 , obviously ep 3 had some very dark moments in it. Try the Imperial agent story or bounty hunter or a sith , especially the IA it is very dark. I don't really want to get into a battle about what's darker than what really but the game is dark.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Well when somone is mad enough to cater to 'few of you' i think you won't be stuck anymore. But that someone has to be really really high to invest his money into something like that.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    i can get behind their FP,Ops and WZ restrictions for f2p, i completely understand the cash limit, chat restrictions and plenty other restrictions which are same as any other freemium games present in the market but i can not understand how on earth they even cooked up the idea of monetizing quick bar or titlelegacy name hideshow or head slot item showhide. some f2p games out there even give players 8 quick bars to play with, there are some f2p games where title gives stats and they allow  players to showhide title; of course they sell the best titles in cash shop but they never ask to pay to show title a player has earned., legacy is just another title; same words go for it and hide/show head slot,: as long as i can remember it had always been an standard UI option for any mmorpg but BW is asking money for it. i don't really get it, how did they even think it would be alright? and on top of that f2p and preferred can't accept some quest reward; mainly those rewards that gives lockboxes as reward(crew missions are exception). i understand that BW have to provide something extra to subscribed users but if these restrictions were not in place would it really belittle subscribed users? and i can't honestly see it being a good marketting strategy, since when inconvenience is the best way to market products? i am not going to cry that i pre ordered CE, paid 4 month sub and when f2p came i get the same treatment as a person who just spend 4.99$ in game, but this really is not a healthy marketting strategy. 

I can't get behind any of their F2P restrictions. There are games out there that prove you don't have to screw over your customers. Tera being the latest example. Tera doesn't restrict anything except the amount of auctions you can have up on a character. Not to mention that Tera you can play for free without paying up front as well. TSW is another example of this. EA/Bioware has no excuse honestly. I think Tera and TSW are both garbage, but I am sure there are just as many people who think SWTOR is as well. The fact is that these other games exist so SWTOR has no excuse. 

why are you bringing up TERA? let's go back even further, AION NA; truly free model from ncsoft, i think in this site i found a link to their financial report of q3(or q2) 2012, apparently AION NA earned 200million$ that time. without any restrictions(except for character slot) to f2p, providing subscribers with more exp gain, a little more abyss point gain and reduced dungeon cool down they are earning that much. it proves that without any kind of restriction to f2p, an f2p game can make huge profit. but still i can understand some of the restrictions BW put up but the rest are just really bad marketting. i hope they totally remove those UI restrictions, they are just realy ugly to read in restrictions description.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Man...what I would give for an immersive Stars Wars Universe to explore.

we had an immersive Star Wars universe, but instead of making a sequel they trashed it and gave us SWTOR.

something to remember

http://youtu.be/Zdqxid-oCGU?t=1m57s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-adBTVgbVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwxONQEQWyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN5VFTvAkcQ&feature=share&list=PL01F183CBEAF3678F

what we have now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdZn5v5sEU

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by jesteralways

why are you bringing up TERA? let's go back even further, AION NA; truly free model from ncsoft, i think in this site i found a link to their financial report of q3(or q2) 2012, apparently AION NA earned 200million$ that time. without any restrictions(except for character slot) to f2p, providing subscribers with more exp gain, a little more abyss point gain and reduced dungeon cool down they are earning that much. it proves that without any kind of restriction to f2p, an f2p game can make huge profit. but still i can understand some of the restrictions BW put up but the rest are just really bad marketting. i hope they totally remove those UI restrictions, they are just realy ugly to read in restrictions description.

AION NA has a grand total of 5 servers.  Lets be extremely generous and say they are 5 very large servers and there was a total population of 200,000 (which is absolutely absurd for just 5 servers).  You are saying 200,000 players gave an average of 1,000 dollars each?  

Aion worldwide might have made 200 million because of Korea.  NCSoft might have made 200 million q3 2012 because of GW2 sales.  but AION NA masde nowhere close to that.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    SWTOR is all the proof people need to justify Richard Garriott's statement of "Most game designers just suck.".
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Against my better judgement I tried this a few months back and played for a couple hours before I just could not take playing such a horrible game anymore.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by red_cruiser
    SWTOR is all the proof people need to justify Richard Garriott's statement of "Most game designers just suck.".

That is rich coming from Richard Garriott who probably can not even see past his own nose.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Whenever a game goes into "Quality of life"  mode, that's code for "We're dropping development of this game and moving into sustainment phase".

In other words, RotHC is going to release, then good luck on more content as they spend the next couple years "fixing bugs".

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    ...and yet, still no chat bubbles.  Their development process and priorities are worse than Blizzard's.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

That is rich coming from Richard Garriott who probably can not even see past his own nose.

A good case of the concept being valid independent of the source of the information.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by BadOrb

I believe that SWTOR is darker than EP 1 , 4 , 5, 6 maybe even than EP 2 , obviously ep 3 had some very dark moments in it. Try the Imperial agent story or bounty hunter or a sith , especially the IA it is very dark. I don't really want to get into a battle about what's darker than what really but the game is dark.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

No SWTOR is a cartoon. You lose the ability to be dark with silly looking art. Take a look at the trailer for 1313.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/1313/

which has been shelved while the sisterhood of the invisible boots is still sucking money and air from the world.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

So how's Tabula Rasa doing Richie?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Get ready for 1 million cathar running around everywhere. ;)

NAME CHANGE pls.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I have no problem with a F2P game that nearly shamelessly asks you to pay money at various turns, but the way SWTOR asks you to is downright passive aggressive and petulant. Like how they have quests that give you particular items ONLY if you're a subscriber, but they still show you the item if you aren't... as if to say: "Well, here's your awesome reward for doing that-OH WAIT, you seem to be... without a subscription? Aw, that's too bad. Guess we'll just flush this quest reward down the toilet. Here's 30 credits though."

The worst is when they show you how much EXP you'd get if you weren't a free player, but then have your actual EXP amount in red next to it, like it's the wrong answer to a test at school. 

I've never played a F2P game that goes out of its way to make you feel so unwelcome if you aren't a paying customer. Got 2 characters to 10 as F2P and was like: "Daaamn. You want me out that badly, all you have to do is tell me! I know where I ain't wanted."

EA is just a **** company. Hope it wins worst company of the year again.  

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    I'm having a great time playing  the game! Just sayin...

You can choose to enjoy life or you can wallow in misery. For me, life is too short to wallow in misery and anger. I enjoy playing Star Wars the Old Republic. SWToR is not perfect, but then again almost nothing is. I hope to find Makeb fun, I hope I enjoy my Cathar smuggler, if not I will move on and find something else to do.  

Originally posted by catlana
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    I'm having a great time playing  the game! Just sayin...

You can choose to enjoy life or you can wallow in misery. For me, life is too short to wallow in misery and anger. I enjoy playing Star Wars the Old Republic. SWToR is not perfect, but then again almost nothing is. I hope to find Makeb fun, I hope I enjoy my Cathar smuggler, if not I will move on and find something else to do.  

Well you don't really have any stake in the argument. You are happy with what they made, you will play it until it bores you, and you will play something else after that in the same casual manner.

You see, you don't care enough about the matter for it to be an issue for you. Of course you feel that people should move on. 

Additionally, you are equating anger problems and depressed moods with criticism of this game, which is simply foolish. Those are real issues that a person might have that cause dysfunction in their life, not easily diagnosed by one type of behavior outside of the context of life in general.

example: Hey that guy is bald, he must have cancer.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Sounds like they're still ignoring the real complaints and pretending that the game is doing well.

You make me like charity

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by umcorian

a F2P game that nearly shamelessly asks you to pay money at various turns, but the way SWTOR asks you to is downright passive aggressive and petulant. Like how they have quests that give you particular items ONLY if you're a subscriber, but they still show you the item if you aren't... as if to say: "Well, here's your awesome reward for doing that-OH WAIT, you seem to be... without a subscription? Aw, that's too bad. Guess we'll just flush this quest reward down the toilet. Here's 30 credits though."

The worst is when they show you how much EXP you'd get if you weren't a free player, but then have your actual EXP amount in red next to it, like it's the wrong answer to a test at school. 

I've never played a F2P game that goes out of its way to make you feel so unwelcome if you aren't a paying customer. Got 2 characters to 10 as F2P and was like: "Daaamn. You want me out that badly, all you have to do is tell me! I know where I ain't wanted."

EA is just a **** company. Hope it wins worst company of the year again.  

couldn´t agree more, when I tried F2P it was really distateful how they forced the cartel market icon on me in nearly every window, got constantly reminded how second class F2P is. Also funny, each time walking into a damn cantina you get that immersion breaking line "Only Subscribers gain rested XP".

Oh by the way, you don´t want to look like a clown and wear green trousers with a red chestpiece? Buy the fancy "unify colors" option you had turned on before, now on the cartel market! And go buy it for each character! When you are at it, you might want to buy the awesome "hide headslot ability" or buy some invisible boots at the cartel market.

how about no?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !