Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the Holy Grail of MMORPG's

13»

Comments

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

I think its important to stay realistic here. I know how it feels to get absolutely excited about this game and I do see a lot of things announced, that I was dreaming about for years, but if we lose our focus and become blindfolded fanboys, then we won´t be able to give any constructive feedback during the next two years.

This game might become some sort of holy grail for "a lot" of people, but instead of hyping the game too much, we should invest our time and motivation in constructive discussions, thereby building a community and helping the developement.

I´m afraid that at a certain point people will forget to discuss things in a decent tone and just go over to flame wars about "best game ever" and "no pve, this game is shit" comments.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Please stop it with games not even in development yet. It is nothing and will be nothing until they have a product to show us.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Please stop it with games not even in development yet. It is nothing and will be nothing until they have a product to show us.

Agreed. Wake me up when I see some gameplay and player feedback. Been burned too many times in the past by promises never fulfilled.

Btw OP, ArcheAge has many of the things you opined for, and it is real.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

"Games like world of warcraft and their instanced gameplay have destroyed the true meaning of what an MMORPG should be."

Sorry but you don't define what an MMORPG is and is not. True meaning of an MMORPG is personal to everyone, but don't generalize. This game won't redefine the genre, in fact it will probably have a niche hardcore pvp player crowd, which is not a majority of MMORPG crowd.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by drakaena
    Originally posted by Thorbrand Please stop it with games not even in development yet. It is nothing and will be nothing until they have a product to show us.
    Agreed. Wake me up when I see some gameplay and player feedback. Been burned too many times in the past by promises never fulfilled.

Btw OP, ArcheAge has many of the things you opined for, and it is real.

Doesnt change the fact that for the people in here who actually get involved constructively about CU is because we believe that it can be a great niche game for us. And the fact that CSE wants our feedback is a big reason why this forum is so active, even at this very early stage.

Many of us havent met a mmorpg that was nearly as fun as DAoC was, its pretty easy to understand that we are all excited about CU.

Originally posted by Storm_Fireblade

I think its important to stay realistic here. I know how it feels to get absolutely excited about this game and I do see a lot of things announced, that I was dreaming about for years, but if we lose our focus and become blindfolded fanboys, then we won´t be able to give any constructive feedback during the next two years.

This game might become some sort of holy grail for "a lot" of people, but instead of hyping the game too much, we should invest our time and motivation in constructive discussions, thereby building a community and helping the developement.

I´m afraid that at a certain point people will forget to discuss things in a decent tone and just go over to flame wars about "best game ever" and "no pve, this game is shit" comments.

I could not agree more Storm, although i'm pretty excited toward CU, i'm also staying grounded as to how i can participate in suggesting as much as i can, either good or bad ideas, because even bad ideas can bring good ones eventually. Brainstorming with the community here (those who are actually get involved constructively that is)
    in order to bring CSE with as much feedbacks and ideas as possible.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by taurak

This will be one of the most anticipated titles in MMORPG history.

So many people want a Dark Age of Camelot 2!

Please make pvp and realm pride mean something once again!

Please get rid of the instanced gameplay, where community doesn't matter.

Guilds need to band together to support their realm, even solo players should be invited to the massive raids to defend the castles. A newbie's sword is just as sharp and swift as a seasoned veteran, nobody who wants to participate in a "realm war" should be left behind, no matter what guild they are from!

Solo players have their place in a realm war, picking off stragglers, but they should never be alienated.

Give us a reason to become friends with other guilds, give us a reason to have a community where your reputation as a player means something! Not just to your guild, but to your entire realm. Make players have pride in their characters, pride in their realm above all, and pride in their guild too.

Games like world of warcraft and their instanced gameplay have destroyed the true meaning of what an MMORPG should be. They form small elite groups, and spit on other players of their own faction. They will walk right past you and watch you get killed by a member of an opposing faction, and not even stop to lend you a hand.

Remember leveling in Dark Age of Camelot in pvp, having a non resetting battleground, where if someone takes a castle, they keep it until someone else defeats them. The low level battlegrounds in DAoC were so fun and memorable, they taught you how to play your character, and play it well.

Combat will need to be very fluid, like world of warcraft, yet with the mechanics of DAoC, such as skills that can only be used when behind or beside a character,or after another skill forming a chain. Don't limit the ammount of skills like what was done with Guild Wars 2.

If you give us a game like this I will gladly pay you $40 a month to play.

Signed, agreed upon and signed.

And if anyone is reading this that is working CU - feel free to offer an RP server where you even pay a bit extra to participate so folks aren't just like, how did I get here?  Or don't log in to the RP server to harass folks because who would waste the extra money - there could be GM based events that support RP as well.  Having a GM play Arthur, or Odin, for example (how cool is that?).

Oh well, here's to CU and RP!  (Former Guinevere, Percival, Nimue player of course).

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Everyone has made valid points, but I agree with BowBowDAoC in regards to giving feedback to CSE.  When MJ was at Mythic, they would spend time listening to the players and decide on which course to go.  MJ has already said that he plans on doing the same thing with CU.  To me, it seems like a win-win situation.  The more feedback we give them, the better the game will be, since they will be looking upon the players for direction to some extent.  I'm sure CSE already has tons of things planned, but they may see ideas and concepts here or elsewhere which may make them rethink something or implement it.  Creativity and inspiration comes from all places.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Storm_Fireblade

+1

IMO there's only a select few, that I can count on both hands, that give MJ/Mythic/CSE/CU/DAoC the respect they deserve, offer opinions, provide constructive feedback/ideas, and still not yes men/fanbois.

I couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    No matter how many times you shils say it, I wouldn't spend $40/mo on the game.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }Everyone has made valid points, but I agree with BowBowDAoC in regards to giving feedback to CSE.  When MJ was at Mythic, they would spend time listening to the players and decide on which course to go.  MJ has already said that he plans on doing the same thing with CU.  To me, it seems like a win-win situation.  The more feedback we give them, the better the game will be, since they will be looking upon the players for direction to some extent.  I'm sure CSE already has tons of things planned, but they may see ideas and concepts here or elsewhere which may make them rethink something or implement it.  Creativity and inspiration comes from all places.

I'll also add this :

MJ has also learned that he wont necessarly implement somethnig just because many players request it.
    If it derives from his objectives about CU, if it does not go hand in hand with the Foundational Principles, he simply won't do it.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    before claiming this the "holy grail" the game has yet to be even funded. whats wrong with you people.
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Originally posted by Psychow
    No matter how many times you shils say it, I wouldn't spend $40/mo on the game.

Me neither. Believe it or not, I've had discussions with some very bright people over the years who have suggested that sub prices should be close to that much. Each time my jaw just dropped. I love MMOs (and games on systems like GEnie costed so much more) but given current technology, I can't see a game that I'd pay that much for. Now, give me a holodeck...

Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

Originally posted by RealLifeGobbo
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }Everyone has made valid points, but I agree with BowBowDAoC in regards to giving feedback to CSE.  When MJ was at Mythic, they would spend time listening to the players and decide on which course to go.  MJ has already said that he plans on doing the same thing with CU.  To me, it seems like a win-win situation.  The more feedback we give them, the better the game will be, since they will be looking upon the players for direction to some extent.  I'm sure CSE already has tons of things planned, but they may see ideas and concepts here or elsewhere which may make them rethink something or implement it.  Creativity and inspiration comes from all places.

I'll also add this :

MJ has also learned that he wont necessarly implement somethnig just because many players request it.
    If it derives from his objectives about CU, if it does not go hand in hand with the Foundational Principles, he simply won't do it.

The key really is the FPs. That's what we are telling our backers is our game. We will not divert from that path, we can't unless we want to piss off a heck of a lot of backers (assuming we get funded) and that thought scares me more than pissing off an individual investor/owner. Besides my backing, I'm sticking my neck out a mile wide with this game and we can't change course in mid-stream without ensuring that my overly exposed neck will be a tempting target.

Originally posted by mistersalty1
    before claiming this the "holy grail" the game has yet to be even funded. whats wrong with you people.

We aren't, won't and can't be the holy grail because no such game exists. Chasing such a target is as pointless as trying to chase WoW's peak numbers. I'll be more than satisfied if in two years our backers say to me "That'll do pig." :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by hammarus

A game with only PvP and without PVE will not last.  Look to Planetside1/2, The Battlefields, etc.  All fun games, all great games, all played hard and then forgotten.

You want a game with longevity, you need PVE content, and PvP with consequences ala. EvE Online.  

You want to make a quick buck as a game company, crank out another Battlefield charge 50 bucks add a few maps and chargable DLC then move on to the next Battlefield.

How long has League of Legends been out now, is it showing any signs of slowing down?

Doesn't appear to have much PVE in it either.

UO had PVE/PVP content and PVP with consequences.... it died.  Same for Shadowbane, Darkfall, and a few others, so other than EVE, that's no guarantee of success either. (EVE fills a very specific niche, and does it almost perfectly)

LoL isn't a MMO.  UO died off because of the no consequences PvP and an over-abundance of player killers.  Shadowbane was a mess all the way around.  Darkfall has proven what a niche PvP really is.  While Eve has done better than any Indy game, it still relies heavily on PvE to keep people around.  Nullsec is busy, but so are the PvE areas of the game.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

A game with only PvP and without PVE will not last.  Look to Planetside1/2, The Battlefields, etc.  All fun games, all great games, all played hard and then forgotten.

You want a game with longevity, you need PVE content, and PvP with consequences ala. EvE Online.  

You want to make a quick buck as a game company, crank out another Battlefield charge 50 bucks add a few maps and chargable DLC then move on to the next Battlefield.

How long has League of Legends been out now, is it showing any signs of slowing down?

UO had PVE/PVP content and PVP with consequences.... it died.  Same for Shadowbane, Darkfall, and a few others, so other than EVE, that's no guarantee of success either. (EVE fills a very specific niche, and does it almost perfectly)

LoL isn't a MMO.  UO died off because of the no consequences PvP and an over-abundance of player killers.  Shadowbane was a mess all the way around.  Darkfall has proven what a niche PvP really is.  While Eve has done better than any Indy game, it still relies heavily on PvE to keep people around.  Nullsec is busy, but so are the PvE areas of the game.

+1

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by taurak

This will be one of the most anticipated titles in MMORPG history.

So many people want a Dark Age of Camelot 2!

Please make pvp and realm pride mean something once again!

Please get rid of the instanced gameplay, where community doesn't matter.

Guilds need to band together to support their realm, even solo players should be invited to the massive raids to defend the castles. A newbie's sword is just as sharp and swift as a seasoned veteran, nobody who wants to participate in a "realm war" should be left behind, no matter what guild they are from!

Solo players have their place in a realm war, picking off stragglers, but they should never be alienated.

Give us a reason to become friends with other guilds, give us a reason to have a community where your reputation as a player means something! Not just to your guild, but to your entire realm. Make players have pride in their characters, pride in their realm above all, and pride in their guild too.

Games like world of warcraft and their instanced gameplay have destroyed the true meaning of what an MMORPG should be. They form small elite groups, and spit on other players of their own faction. They will walk right past you and watch you get killed by a member of an opposing faction, and not even stop to lend you a hand.

Remember leveling in Dark Age of Camelot in pvp, having a non resetting battleground, where if someone takes a castle, they keep it until someone else defeats them. The low level battlegrounds in DAoC were so fun and memorable, they taught you how to play your character, and play it well.

Combat will need to be very fluid, like world of warcraft, yet with the mechanics of DAoC, such as skills that can only be used when behind or beside a character,or after another skill forming a chain. Don't limit the ammount of skills like what was done with Guild Wars 2.

If you give us a game like this I will gladly pay you $40 a month to play.

This won't be DAoC 2, anyone expecting DAoC 2 should be very careful about what they expect from CU.

Realm Pride depends 100% on the players, it failed to take-off in GW2 which is partly populated by ex-DAoC players, why would it succeed in CU?

Sorry to say, but i think that generation of gamer is gone and many of those who remain are too jaded by age to care anymore.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Benedikt

+1

+1 indeed, well said.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    I am more interested in Shroud of the Avatar than this to be honest.
  • Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    I am more interested in Shroud of the Avatar than this to be honest.

But isn´t that the beauty of a free will? No one is forcing you to show any interest in this game. I always wonder, why people think a game has to appeal to everyone. Not that you are saying that, so no offense here.

Camelot Unchained is clearly catering to a certain target audience and if someone isn´t part of this audience due to different tastes, well, no harm done. Developers all over the world offer such a variety of games, it isn´t hard to move on and find something that does offer a more fitting gameplay.

I cannot understand why some people still roam these boards only to repeat their dislike of this games vision. I know it would be a waste of my precious time, since I could just find a game released or announced, that does cater to my own needs instead.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

As a person who is excited for CU - I hate people like you and threads like this.

Stop hyping a game up when there is literally nothing but WORDS on what the game is going to be like. I hate the hype-machine and the fanbois that that churn it. You people are like the religious fanatics plague of the video game world.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I laugh every time I see the name of this thread.  My Holy Grail of MMOs has PVE as an option.  This is the Holy Grail of PvP MMOs maybe... but it's just a sub-genre.

Unless what I read here was wrong and there will be PVE.

I can't believe there are such hyperbolic claims made about a game NO ONE HAS SEEN.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Darkfall has proven what a niche PvP really is.

A half-assed poorly developed, poorly funded game made by a small team of guys who have yet to fall within months of any of their deadlines on either of their games, have proven incapable of dealing with bugs and exploiters in a timely manner ( if at all), and who lack the ability to communicate and correctly implement feedback from the players proves what a niche PvP is?

I wonder if you even played Darkfall. One of the major factors that killed it was that it was too much PvE not enough PvP. You had to spend months grinding mobs (or afk macroing) to catch up to everyone else and stand an equal chance in PvP. The game was 90% PvE and 10% PvP (usually involving gankers jumping you while youre still a lowbie) for the first few months. How exactly does it prove anything about PvP?

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Darkfall has proven what a niche PvP really is.

A half-assed poorly developed, poorly funded game made by a small team of guys who have yet to fall within months of any of their deadlines on either of their games, have proven incapable of dealing with bugs and exploiters in a timely manner ( if at all), and who lack the ability to communicate and correctly implement feedback from the players proves what a niche PvP is?

I wonder if you even played Darkfall. One of the major factors that killed it was that it was too much PvE not enough PvP. You had to spend months grinding mobs (or afk macroing) to catch up to everyone else and stand an equal chance in PvP. The game was 90% PvE and 10% PvP (usually involving gankers jumping you while youre still a lowbie) for the first few months. How exactly does it prove anything about PvP?

Spot on there and there is no fluff or other stuff to do so you are not stuck doing the exact same stuff over and over and over....

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

I am imagining you would have to harvest components, which the rarer ones which would be deep in enemy territory.  That way, you are constantly looking over your shoulder or have a group/warband/zerg with you to gather these rare resources.  I also wound't be surprised to see epic "crafting stations" in the same regard.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I appreciate your enthusiasm, OP.

However, I'll reserve my opinion for when I can download an actual game to demo. If like I it, I just may buy it.

Until then, it's just another steaming pile of hype from a game designer trying to sell me their vision. Nothing more.

I'm not interested in visions. I'm interested in results.