Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Helm's Hold Dungeon & PvP Domination

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During a special Neverwinter press event held on Tuesday, we had the opportunity to range about with Cryptic developers to check out a level thirty dungeon and took part in some Domination PvP action. Find out more after the jump and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

After catching our breath from the Helm's Hold fight, we moved on to try out PvP for the first time ever. Domination is the first PvP type that will be included in the game, though there were little rumors flitting around about a massive PvE-PvP end-game event centered around Gauntlgrym. We weren't able to force the devs to tell us more about that, so we'll stick to Domination for now.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: Helm's Hold Dungeon & PvP Domination.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If they would have went a little further. If Itemization and charater development was in depth as the foundry. Even as a pvp first player, I'd be all over this one.  I think they would have been better served doing that instead of a 5v5 battle ground.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Fyreball99Fyreball99 Member UncommonPosts: 8

PVP doesn't belong in a DnD game.  Period.

• DragonfishDragonfish Member Posts: 12
    Does the Greatsword Fighter have a dodge of any kind? I played the Guardian Fighter and didn't really care for the block mechanism and would have prefered a double tap dodge of some kind.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    That's sixty days of not creating any other character than tiefling rogue for me. I was trying to choose between a drow rogue and a tiefling rogue. I guess it's settled now. Thirty days would be more understandable, sixty is a bit much imo and it kinda sucks.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Fyreball99

It does, in most PnP games, there is PvP. Just some DMs go above and beyond to try and exclude, but it is there.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by black_isle
    That's sixty days of not creating any other character than tiefling rogue for me. I was trying to choose between a drow rogue and a tiefling rogue. I guess it's settled now. Thirty days would be more understandable, sixty is a bit much imo and it kinda sucks.

I think its likely its 60 days is because they also plan on releasing a new class or 2 at the same time.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    So glad wood elfs will be in such a underrated race(least lore wise). Am happy to see them over  drow:)
  • uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Well the 200 pack (right) has a drow in it I think. It's probly to say hey your a special drow in the 1st 60 days. I dot mind I'm jut excited for them releasing it soon
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Too bad this game doesn't even have the characteristics to be called an MMO.  If you can call Neverwinter an MMO, then Diablo is an MMO as well.  Because it's the same main quest hub BS.  Insta-travel from town, no open world exploration, lack of classes, lack of D&D rules, lack of just about everything that *could* have made this a good game.  I'm in the beta again this weekend but I think I'll be trying my hand at the Defiance beta instead to see how it fares over this game.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Dragonfish
    Does the Greatsword Fighter have a dodge of any kind? I played the Guardian Fighter and didn't really care for the block mechanism and would have prefered a double tap dodge of some kind.

no dodge....greatsword fighters have sprint as their endurance drainer but you can use it like a dodge just sprint out of the way..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by epoq
    Too bad this game doesn't even have the characteristics to be called an MMO.  If you can call Neverwinter an MMO, then Diablo is an MMO as well.  Because it's the same main quest hub BS.  Insta-travel from town, no open world exploration, lack of classes, lack of D&D rules, lack of just about everything that *could* have made this a good game.  I'm in the beta again this weekend but I think I'll be trying my hand at the Defiance beta instead to see how it fares over this game.

So, tell me how do you like persistent zones and PVP in Diablo? I guess GW1 is not MMO either?

Anyway, I wonder how come nobody comments the new Wood elf race? About PVP, I'm really happy it's in, but hopefully we'll get more than domination maps. It gets boring playing the same type of maps all the time (looking at you GW2).

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by epoq

Its open world with instanced dungeons, like WoW and EQ2. Are those not MMOs either?

Guessing you never made it past level 20 or you never played at all.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by kyssari
    NOt being able to play even a normal Drow for the first 60 days is a pretty huge letdown and drove me away from dishing out a few $$ for a Guardian Pack. Guess I won't bother playing for the first 60 days at all now :

That's a pretty weak reason not to play a game. MMOs come out with new races at odd times before during and after launch all the time. Exclusive content is exclusive for a reason so stop complaining. This whole new modern concept that everyone is a unique snowflake and no one is a loser is a farce. 

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

ok game is launching with that many classes (which is 5) and their races as well doesnt mean thats it//they the devs have stated more classes and races will come and as for open world whos to say that wont happen as well...D&D online d oes very well using this model I do not think this would have an issues at all...

In the end if you dont like it dont play it.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I hope there is open world exploration, mounts, and at least a server option for open world PvP. That way everyone can be happy
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Originally posted by Fyreball99

Guess you never played DnD pen and paper....

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    it looked like the control wizard was moving while casting, i wonder if that change has been made (they used to be rooted while casting).  i'll have to check it out tonight.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I've not been following Neverwinter but reading this and past news on it I think I'm going to give this a really good shot. I like the general look of the game and the combat looks fun and fast paced which is good. The PvP sounds pretty standard but I'm not much of a PvP player these days so this will be fine when there’s an urge.

Roll on this week’s beta weekend!

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Originally posted by kyssari
    NOt being able to play even a normal Drow for the first 60 days is a pretty huge letdown and drove me away from dishing out a few $$ for a Guardian Pack. Guess I won't bother playing for the first 60 days at all now :

That's a pretty weak reason not to play a game. MMOs come out with new races at odd times before during and after launch all the time. Exclusive content is exclusive for a reason so stop complaining. This whole new modern concept that everyone is a unique snowflake and no one is a loser is a farce. 

The fact of the matter is the Renegade is exclusive, and I am perfectly fine with that. The basic Drow race is not exclusive, and it's finished and ready to go at launch, they are simply choosing not to let us have it until 60 days afterwards for some odd reason. I also didn't say I am not going to play it at all, I said I won't play for the first 60 days because I can't play the race I am most interested in. I 'm also not going to dish out the cash for a Founders Pack if I am not even gonna bother playing until 2 months after lauch.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Well.. see everyone at launch..  See you sixty days after that, Kyssari.  If I payed 200 dollars for a founders pack.. I wouldn't want anyone who didn't pay looking anything like me.. even if it was slightly different.   We're lucky that they are giving us a generic one at all.  

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Starting 60 days later isn't such a bad thing.  Let them work out all of the bugs before you jump in.  But I definitely can see where you are coming from.  When a game is free I don't really have a problem with them charging extra for races and classes so long as:

1)  All the basic/traditional races and classes are in the base game

2)  The additional races/classes in the store are not more powerful than the others

3)  The price is reasonable.

Whether or not drow is one of the traditional D&D player races is probably debatable, but $200 for a race is not reasonable.  I don't see any reason they couldn't put the generic drow race in the store the day the game goes live for like $5.  Making people wait 60 days for what is not even the same thing just seems silly.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    DnD has pvp sort of like lotro's pvp.  I wish a game would do that right.  Where one faction is the 'monster' faction, weak on their own, meant to be killed for xp, but still fun to play because as soon as one vessell dies, the player can inhabit another.  It could be a test to see what monster can survive the wrath of players long enough to actually get a few levels.  oh well, neither the time nor place.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725

How will teams be divided up?  Is it just queue up and randomly put in groups? 

I foresee groups with the most clerics totally dominating in pvp.  I only got to level 13 in the last beta weekend but never died once.  Never even came close.  And I'm by no means the safest player either.  I'm always pushing the limits and seeing what I can get away with.  Meanwhile, I'm watching rogues and CWs easily getting overwhelmed by mobs. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Helm's Hold will be amazing. It is my favourite place in the realms.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by achesoma

How will teams be divided up?  Is it just queue up and randomly put in groups? 

I foresee groups with the most clerics totally dominating in pvp.  I only got to level 13 in the last beta weekend but never died once.  Never even came close.  And I'm by no means the safest player either.  I'm always pushing the limits and seeing what I can get away with.  Meanwhile, I'm watching rogues and CWs easily getting overwhelmed by mobs. 

Because you weren't getting assaulted with Trickster Rogue level DPS or Control Wizard CC.

Rogues shouldnt have been getting overwhelmed unless they were bad, stuff just melted as my Rogue, even at level 35. And I could tank most of the mobs in the dungeons too.