Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Legacy of Romulus Expansion Coming May 21st

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment have announced that the largest content expansion for Star Trek Online since release will be headed to players on May 21st. Called "Legacy of Romulus", the expansion will enable the Romulan playable faction in the game along with much more.

This will be the largest Star Trek Online expansion since launch and will feature the Romulans as a playable faction for the first time ever. In addition to the new Romulan Republic faction, players will have a chance to take command of mighty Warbird Class starships. Denise Crosby also returns to reprise her role as Empress Sela for die-hard Trekkies

Check out the new expansion teaser site on the Star Trek Online main site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Looks very good.  Always been a fan of the Romulans, so will be making a new character when the expansion comes out.

The new traits system looks good, as does the improved UI.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    might give it another go when that comes out..
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Sure hope you can buy the expansion from the c-store.  Maybe then all of us lifers who dont play this game can finally have somehting to spend the free points on.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Sure hope you can buy the expansion from the c-store.  Maybe then all of us lifers who dont play this game can finally have somehting to spend the free points on.

Sorry to burst your buble but its going to be free =P

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8703331#post8703331

But I'm sure there will be lots of new costumes and ships.

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I'm excited to play a scifi game. Iv been in this game on and of alot it should be cool to see the new expansion
  • IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    So is it a three faction game now or something?
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    o.o oh.. god...the only reason I wasn't playing STO is now gone....LONG LIVE THE ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE! -jumps into his D'deridex class battleship-

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I may have to blow the dust off this one to roll a Romulan after the inital rush.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    o.o oh.. god...the only reason I wasn't playing STO is now gone....LONG LIVE THE ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE! -jumps into his D'deridex class battleship-

funnily enough, one of the original reasons for me not bothering with STO was because, the Romulans were not in it.. might just have to try it out again image

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I had the eMail earlier today and deleted it without looking at it. Now that I hear that you can play Romulan as a race/faction as well as Klingon from start STo peeks my interest again. Lets download & install and play it a bit again ;-)
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Lets see, the federation gets humans, vulcans, caitians, bolians, etc., the klingon empire gets klingons, gorn, nausicans, orians, etc., and of course both lists include the build an alien feature that lets you make (or try to make) existing species for either side, like romulans for both, orians for the federation, bolians for the kingon empire.

What will the romulan star empire be getting, other than romulans?  Those weird guys from the last Star Trek: Nemesis movie?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Never liked the romulans (except Sela ofc ;) ) but it's a nice move. I hope they'll get a well-written storyline.

Same with the klingon 1-20 addition. I recently thought about starting an orion, and it'd be even easier to launch at lvl20, but in the light of this change I rather wait till May and level her from scratch, while checking the new klingon stuff as well.

I wonder, do we get a new character slot for the romulan, or have to use an existing one?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Lets see, the federation gets humans, vulcans, caitians, bolians, etc., the klingon empire gets klingons, gorn, nausicans, orians, etc., and of course both lists include the build an alien feature that lets you make (or try to make) existing species for either side, like romulans for both, orians for the federation, bolians for the kingon empire.

What will the romulan star empire be getting, other than romulans?  Those weird guys from the last Star Trek: Nemesis movie?

Romulans are indeed an empire of 2 races. The Romulus and the Remus (kinda corny names IMO). I hope that the upcoming expansion will stick to this as well...

Now hope for a 2nd expansion where the Dominion will be introduces and the Jem H'dar as playable race (amongst others)

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

Have to give props to STO, they really are doing another entire faction from 1-50, adding on the Klingon story from 1-20 and ensuring the end-game is being expanded upon for all parties. While overhauling the UI and traits.

Really cannot ask for more from a F2P and I hope that c-store keeps them going well into the future.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I believe the info states you will get to create a Romulan or Reman character.  In game, the Hirogen also have an alliance with the Tal'Shiar, but I doubt you'll be able to create a Hirogen.

There is also some question on whether Romulans will include Liberated Borg as well.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Always had a soft spot for this game from all the way back in closed beta. Sure it wasn't what everybody wanted from a Star Trek game by a country mile but it has seen a marked improvement over the years. I remember people writing this off a week after release but it's still standing, and now here comes a third faction and only just skimmed over this but it is right you will also be able to play Klingons now from Lvl 1 as well?  Boom!  Sign me up for some Warbird action. Hope they have Plasma R torpedo's starfleet command style. :)
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Hmm, always wanted to play a Romulan. With 3 factions in game, will there be some dynamic to it now, like fighting over resources/space etc. Or will we just be able to do some pointless PVP-matches for medals or whatever?

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

I will be back to it, actually I was waiting for this to happen from a long long long long long time, now they added romulans I will gladly jump back in.

Can't wait for it actually, very excited.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus 

Sorry to burst your buble but its going to be free =P

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8703331#post8703331

But I'm sure there will be lots of new costumes and ships.

As much as I dislike Cryptic, I have to say at this point I am very surprised that they are offering this free.  If they stick to that, it is awesome.  Sitting on many thousands of c-store points that I would love to eventually use and not feel like I wasted the money on that lifetime sub.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Being a fan of Star Trek from the 70's with TOS, a little bit of me dies everytime I read about Star Trek Online and now with one of my favorite races being put in a bigger part dies such a great IP and this is the game we get image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Being a fan of Star Trek from the 70's with TOS, a little bit of me dies everytime I read about Star Trek Online and now with one of my favorite races being put in a bigger part dies such a great IP and this is the game we get image

Pretty much.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Pretty much.

Same

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Hmm, always wanted to play a Romulan. With 3 factions in game, will there be some dynamic to it now, like fighting over resources/space etc. Or will just be able to do some pointless PVP-matches for medals or whatever?

Someone said somewhere that the romulans will be a pve faction, not sure if they have any real info though.  Most likely pvp will be the same as is there now i.e. a small arena where you fight for no point at all really other than the dilithium from the pvp missions(which u get win or lose) just with one more faction on the list(in this case roms vs feds or roms vs klinks and so on)

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

This is going to be awesome! I got maxed up chars on both factions and got nothing to do other than collect lock boxes!

With the addition of Romulans I can get him to max level and then have nothing else to do other than collect lock boxes!

I hope they add some other variaties of lock boxes, Since factions cant even attack each other unless you are in an instanced pvp scenario the Romulan faction will make this game even better than before!

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Hmm, always wanted to play a Romulan. With 3 factions in game, will there be some dynamic to it now, like fighting over resources/space etc. Or will just be able to do some pointless PVP-matches for medals or whatever?

Someone said somewhere that the romulans will be a pve faction, not sure if they have any real info though.  Most likely pvp will be the same as is there now i.e. a small arena where you fight for no point at all really other than the dilithium from the pvp missions(which u get win or lose) just with one more faction on the list(in this case roms vs feds or roms vs klinks and so on)

If that's the case. Then I will have to wait til I return. They can't miss this oppurtunity to finally doing something with the RVR now. But it seems to be way to focused on PVE for my liking.