Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the Holy Grail of MMORPG's

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by oubers

All games are holy grails until they go live....then the hype dies and they are just games.

Yeah, I mostly just sit back and wait for the reactions now...

I see a lot of CU threads on this site now, but I've never seen the game.  Any gameplay vids up or just people getting themselves ready for potential disappointment............ again?

I can't wait for the fallout.  The game is being developed on an indie budget.  The expectations are insanely high.  What could go wrong?

As someone that's followed Mark Jacob's development history, which is to say that I am not a fanboi, but Dark Age of Camelot was slated as a title that couldn't be produced by a freshly created studio, Mythic Entertainment. The studio was a talented, but slightly inexperienced MMO team.  The founders of Mythic, primarily Mark's financial prowess, overcame the hurdle of development via the indie budget as well as the individual troublesome milestones.  Obviously, Mark wasn't the only person responsible for it's success.

That's not to say that DAoC or Mythic came out smelling like roses via the popular opinion, but it defied the odds.  I believe that Mark can do it again through a different medium.  Plus, the removal of PvE content allows more focus on RvR and the meta game.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by oubers

All games are holy grails until they go live....then the hype dies and they are just games.

Yeah, I mostly just sit back and wait for the reactions now...

I see a lot of CU threads on this site now, but I've never seen the game.  Any gameplay vids up or just people getting themselves ready for potential disappointment............ again?

I can't wait for the fallout.  The game is being developed on an indie budget.  The expectations are insanely high.  What could go wrong?

As someone that's followed Mark Jacob's development history, which is to say that I am not a fanboi, but Dark Age of Camelot was slated as a title that couldn't be produced by a freshly created studio, Mythic Entertainment. The studio was a talented, but slightly inexperienced MMO team.  The founders of Mythic, primarily Mark's financial prowess, overcame the hurdle of development via the indie budget as well as the individual troublesome milestones.  Obviously, Mark wasn't the only person responsible for it's success.

That's not to say that DAoC or Mythic came out smelling like roses via the popular opinion, but it defied the odds.  I believe that Mark can do it again through a different medium.  Plus, the removal of PvE content always more focus on RvR and the meta game.

DAoC was truly a neat experience when it first came out. The game had some good ideas, and delivered a good pvp experience that made sense to the masses. I still say that DAoC was the first game that brought PvP to the masses and showed that pvp with true meaning, can be popular. ToA is what killed DAoC for me, not that it wasn't without flaws, but that was the final nail in the coffin.

It'll be interesting to see what Mark and crew can do, but I also have no illusions that the game is going to meet everyone's expectations. If it delivers a more modern DAoC experience, while avoiding the pitfalls of DAoC, then I'll be happy.

The holy grail of gaming, simply put though, cannot ever be achieved, because you truly cannot please all people at once.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    That'll be the day when a PvP only game is ever labeled and accepted as the Holy Grail of MMORPGs.  One of the biggest draws for DAoC was the PvE content and removing that half of the equation automatically disqualifies CU as a true successor to DAoC.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    After so many disspointments from getting my hopes up,  I will just say that I am extremely interested in where this game is going.  If it really is as good (or even close at this point) to DAoC I would gladly pay box and sub fee at any price.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by taurak

This will be one of the most anticipated titles in MMORPG history.

i wish the best for CU

but with no pve content, its an empty cup to me

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

This is the Holy Grail of MMORPG's

Why say shit like that, and hype it to levels that it could never realistically reach?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    The Holy Grail is a mystical item that will never be found because it does not exist.  OP is correct, I guess you can label CU as that.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I hate when people say shit like this. It just makes me hate a game, even if i had no opinion on it. I happen to likea lot of the games out there and coming out. heck im more excited about Dragon's Prophet than CU. if CU is the game that MMO's are going to aspire to be, games with no PvE, im out. see y'all. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    The hype for this game given that we have so few real details its a bit perplexing. So many games and MMO's in particular crash and burn yes i know many pvp's players are dying for a 3 faction game, but sorry to me its just not that big of a deal and ya i played DAOC , but a huge amount of other detials we don't have or the missmanagement that plagues many titles could make this game suck just like the majority of MMO releases do. I hope its a good game but given what we know so far....big deal.
  • TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Well to be realistic you need a fair amount of hype to get the kind of kickstarter funding he's looking for. So of course that would already generate avid fans for a game that only exisits on paper at the moment lol.

To be fair though, if you've read the foundational principles, you'd know that this game is quite different from the majority of what's out there, and that what he's trying to do here is going to fit a particular niche that is craving something like this and nobody is delivering.

So I can't blame people that feel let down by every other themepark mmo not catering to what they really want, and then finding someone offering to make one that fits their particular niche. For many that the ideas of this game fit exactly with what they're looking for, it is absolutely amazing. 

WHereas if these features  aren't things you are a huge fan of, or think are missing from current mmos, I can understand that you'd be pretty skeptical.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    The Holy Grail is a mystical item that will never be found because it does not exist.  OP is correct, I guess you can label CU as that.

The mystical part is that it actually has some type of power. I'm sure there was an actual cup at some point. Drinking from it now though would probably be a big disapointment :P

So people should probably hope this game isn't the "holy grial " of mmos...because if it is....well, you know....

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Come on sheeples, see a clip of the game first.  

I hope the game the best, just way too soon.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

<---too little hype-----just enough hype----stupid/annoying GW2/holy grail/cures cancer type hype--->

Don't go too far to the left or right...

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

This will be one of the most anticipated titles in MMORPG history.

So many people want a Dark Age of Camelot 2!

Please make pvp and realm pride mean something once again!

Please get rid of the instanced gameplay, where community doesn't matter.

Guilds need to band together to support their realm, even solo players should be invited to the massive raids to defend the castles. A newbie's sword is just as sharp and swift as a seasoned veteran, nobody who wants to participate in a "realm war" should be left behind, no matter what guild they are from!

Solo players have their place in a realm war, picking off stragglers, but they should never be alienated.

Give us a reason to become friends with other guilds, give us a reason to have a community where your reputation as a player means something! Not just to your guild, but to your entire realm. Make players have pride in their characters, pride in their realm above all, and pride in their guild too.

Games like world of warcraft and their instanced gameplay have destroyed the true meaning of what an MMORPG should be. They form small elite groups, and spit on other players of their own faction. They will walk right past you and watch you get killed by a member of an opposing faction, and not even stop to lend you a hand.

Remember leveling in Dark Age of Camelot in pvp, having a non resetting battleground, where if someone takes a castle, they keep it until someone else defeats them. The low level battlegrounds in DAoC were so fun and memorable, they taught you how to play your character, and play it well.

Combat will need to be very fluid, like world of warcraft, yet with the mechanics of DAoC, such as skills that can only be used when behind or beside a character,or after another skill forming a chain. Don't limit the ammount of skills like what was done with Guild Wars 2.

If you give us a game like this I will gladly pay you $40 a month to play.

This.

In short...MAKE US FEEL EPIC!

Thats what i miss more when playing mmo's. The epic feeling what ever i m doing in the game

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Lol a Pure PVP/RVR with 0 PVE game is the holy grail for MMORPGS... really? Maybe to you and others.

I am not saying it's a bad design, but it really will be a niche game.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It's impressive. The amount of faith placed on an idea that is so far away to becoming an actual product. I smell this game will have a hard downfall when it finally gets released, because they expectations are HIGH.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    LOL..another game thats the holy grail.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Psychow

Posts like this make me really, really, really wish MMORPG.com had a +1 feature.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

A game with only PvP and without PVE will not last.  Look to Planetside1/2, The Battlefields, etc.  All fun games, all great games, all played hard and then forgotten.

You want a game with longevity, you need PVE content, and PvP with consequences ala. EvE Online.  

You want to make a quick buck as a game company, crank out another Battlefield charge 50 bucks add a few maps and chargable DLC then move on to the next Battlefield.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Psychow

Posts like this make me really, really, really wish MMORPG.com had a +1 feature.

Agreed!

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by hammarus

A game with only PvP and without PVE will not last.  Look to Planetside1/2, The Battlefields, etc.  All fun games, all great games, all played hard and then forgotten.

You want a game with longevity, you need PVE content, and PvP with consequences ala. EvE Online.  

You want to make a quick buck as a game company, crank out another Battlefield charge 50 bucks add a few maps and chargable DLC then move on to the next Battlefield.

How long has League of Legends been out now, is it showing any signs of slowing down?

Doesn't appear to have much PVE in it either.

UO had PVE/PVP content and PVP with consequences.... it died.  Same for Shadowbane, Darkfall, and a few others, so other than EVE, that's no guarantee of success either. (EVE fills a very specific niche, and does it almost perfectly)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Honestly, if EA would just take DAoC and update the game so that it has modern graphics, animations, sounds and lighting. I'd play in a heartbeat.  Well, provided that they only released DAoC:SI with Darkness falls.  That's really all I would need to be happy with an MMO for quite a few years.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by hammarus

How long has League of Legends been out now, is it showing any signs of slowing down?

Doesn't appear to have much PVE in it either.

UO had PVE/PVP content and PVP with consequences.... it died.  Same for Shadowbane, Darkfall, and a few others, so other than EVE, that's no guarantee of success either. (EVE fills a very specific niche, and does it almost perfectly)

Every rule has its exceptions.  Same goes for PvP/PvE games.   And oh,  October 29,2009.  

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    I personally believe that a game has to focus on either PvE or PvP.  If you try and focus on both, the game will flop.  I have never seen any game where it balances both well.  DAoC had some cool PvE areas with some unique bosses, but games like WoW had amazing PvE areas.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs