Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best B2P or F2P MMO for Someone New to MMO's?

One of my co-workers wants to try out an MMO and has been asking which one(s) I think he should check out.   I suggested SWTOR and GW2 but are there any other MMO's out there that offer an easy entry point into the genre?

Personally, I think WoW is probably the easiest MMO to get started with but he doesn't want to deal with subs at this point. 

Comments

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Many people have recommended GW2 as a new player friendly MMO.  I haven't played it personally so I can't really say.  My exposure to MMOs have all been P2Ps so I don't really know of any good F2P/B2P.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

One of my co-workers wants to try out an MMO and has been asking which one(s) I think he should check out.   I suggested SWTOR and GW2 but are there any other MMO's out there that offer an easy entry point into the genre?

Personally, I think WoW is probably the easiest MMO to get started with but he doesn't want to deal with subs at this point. 

I would disagree with your WoW comments. WoW is probably one of the more expensive mmos to get into. Vanilla+Burning Crusade+Wrath of the Lich King will run you $20 USD. Cataclysm runs $20 UD, and Mists of Pandaria is still $40 USD. Unless you can find a sale, you're looking minimally $80 to get into WoW (so that you have all of the content).

You could just get the Battlechest and work your way up to 80 which may take you a month or so if you never played before, and dabble in the different classes to see what one you like.

Lord of the Rings Online offers free to play gameplay, but you'll eventually need to pony up some cash, unless you really don't mind grinding Turbine Points.

The Secret World is a buy to play experience now, and you can find that for as cheap at $20 USD (on sale). Just looked at amazon, the box will run you $27 with the digial download running you $30.

There's a ton of options for you guys though. I guess the better question to ask yourselves is what you want to get out of the game. Raiding, PvP, PvE, Exploration, Crafting, Specific Setting, etc. Then choose the game from those expectations.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Best B2P :  GW2

Best F2P :  Tera

In my opinion.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Kaneth

I would disagree with your WoW comments. WoW is probably one of the more expensive mmos to get into. Vanilla+Burning Crusade+Wrath of the Lich King will run you $20 USD. Cataclysm runs $20 UD, and Mists of Pandaria is still $40 USD. Unless you can find a sale, you're looking minimally $80 to get into WoW (so that you have all of the content).

You could just get the Battlechest and work your way up to 80 which may take you a month or so if you never played before, and dabble in the different classes to see what one you like.

Lord of the Rings Online offers free to play gameplay, but you'll eventually need to pony up some cash, unless you really don't mind grinding Turbine Points.

The Secret World is a buy to play experience now, and you can find that for as cheap at $20 USD (on sale). Just looked at amazon, the box will run you $27 with the digial download running you $30.

There's a ton of options for you guys though. I guess the better question to ask yourselves is what you want to get out of the game. Raiding, PvP, PvE, Exploration, Crafting, Specific Setting, etc. Then choose the game from those expectations.

Good point Kaneth and thanks for the response.  I forgot about LOTRO, that might be a good option.   Not sure TSW is "noob" friendly enough as I'd hate for my buddy to get overwhelmed with options, builds, etc. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I recommend EQ2

have access to all content under level 85 without spending anything or grinding faction

soe removed the coin/bag/bank/race/class restrictions

can use mounts at level one

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd suggest LOTRO for new to the genre.  The gameplay seems pretty standard, it's not a gankfest, the IP is very well known, the system requirements are reasonable, and there's no payment barrier to start playing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

My only argument against gw2 is the whole holy trinity thing. gw2 is a fine game if that's your thing but teach a new player something like that may ruin them for other mmos. Not because it's so great and fixes every problem!! but people tend to latch onto what they first learn as " normal " and everything else is just doing it wrong.

Trying to find other games like that may be problimatic once you're bored of gw2.

LotR would be a pretty solid choice for a first.

wow would also be a good choice and they wouldn't have to buy everything all at once. It would have that long term cost and a sub though.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I would never recommend GW2 for a new mmo player. It has one the worst tutorial ever.
    Heck even Anet had said this and are working to fix it.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

imo go for TERA.

Best F2P model in mmo market and at least a very descent game.

Give it a try before give money to buy something else

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Best truly free MMO: Star Trek Online, hands down, sorry but you can get everything and they're getting an expansion for it in May which adds a third faction.

Best Buy to play... hmmm... I'd go with Guild Wars 1, he can pick it up on the cheap and it's still, by what I hear, going strong :).

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

Depends on what kind of games he already likes, is he a fps or a rpg type of gamer or is he totally new to all game genres?  Then there's the kind of settings he would prefer, medieval fantasy, modern fantasy, sci-fi etc. 

From experience I would say for a f2p probably LoTRO is one of the easiest to ease into, it offers a small quest driven beginner instance(up to level 7/8) before you get dropped into Tolkien's world where you can then either become a hobbit bard just dancing the nights away at the numerous festivals and taverns or an adventurer that takes up enough crafting skills to help outfit themselves and any alts he may make as he moves around the world or opts for trying to become the ultimate hero rivaling Aragorn as he takes on the epic story and concentrates on battle goals to try and defeat Sauron and save middle-earth.

Should he prefer more of a battle driven game and doesn't mind plunking down $50+, then GW2 is probably not a bad choice, even I've levelled two characters to max level without even trying.... :/

Re WoW, I dispute the cost of getting into it, they now have a free trial up to level 20 that you can essentially just play forever, albeit with some pretty hard restrictions, and the BattleChest is only $19.99 that gives you:

The World of Warcraft Battle Chest includes everything you need to begin the adventure:

World of Warcraft complete game
    The Burning Crusade expansion set
    The Wrath of the Lich King expansion set
    Includes first month of game time
    256-Page beginner's guide from Brady Games

Cata is another $19.99 and honestly unless he's a power endgame player he doesn't need Pandaria for a long time(he really doesn't need Cata right away either and I would recommend just playing without it for at least a month) unless he just wants to make a panda or a monk in which case it will cost another $39.99 which is pretty cheap for a new expansion.

---------------

Anyway, those would be my picks but then I'm more into open world medieval type mmorpgs when I can find them(I've since gone back to old UO) so if that's not his thing then follow some of the more sci-fi oriented replies and g'luck! :)