Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another great title ruined to the themepark.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by cronius77
    all i seriously hear in this thread is op and a few others are crying because they cannot go around and camp players in other realms because you have to flag for pvp or be in the end game zones for it. This game will do far better than any  all so great sandbox that released. Hell im willing to bet right now that this game sells more boxes alone than eve combined with all the rest of its full loot pvp garbage thats out there. OP seriously if you think this game would do better with how you are thinking it will be you are sadly dillusional. Themeparks outsale any sandbox games over here. Also you can blame games like darkfall and mortal using excuses for the devs not having funding or whatever but its not that trust me , its people dont want to be griefed when they are playing a game and trying to relax. They have a full large zone for all the pvp you wish , if you dont like it like that dont play its as simple as that. But coming here with this argument sandboxes are so great and finacially your claims have ZERO truth to them.

First off learn to phrase your ideas.

Second off paragraphs are your friend.

Third off learn to spell and brush up on your grammer while you're at it and learn which words actually exist in the english language.

Fourth off learn to construct coherent arguments.

Fifth off leave the fanboism at home.

Follow the above and someone might actually take the time to read everything you write and not just skim through it like an intellectual would through the twilight saga out of morbid curiosity.

God man, don't make it so easy... glass houses and all...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by doodphace   Themeparks are good, but a niche market.  
      did you mean sandbox?
    No he meant that they are a niche market for those who lack the ability to self-direct.

lack the ability or just don't like games like that? anyone who thinks theme parks are niche compared to sanbox are not living in reality.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by 666murmur666
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by jfoytek
    Originally posted by LanceC
    Originally posted by LanceC
    From what I've heard TES and ESO will be so different that besides a few TES gimmicks it will play nothing like any TES game.  Seems shameful to call it part of TES.

Then you heard very wrong. Tell me what about ESO is not like TES?

Everything I've heard so far. Seems way to restrictive to be an elder scrolls game. What I loved from all TES games was the interactive world. ESO will be stage with props. While it looks like TES game ... it will be a elder scroll shell. Crack that shell and you'll see that it is the same MMO that  has flooded the market for the last few years.

Thats forum spew and no facts as to what makes this not a TES game. 

1 Has TES lore

2 Has TES combat

3 Has TES World and and art style

4 They had to have classes its a MMO, but it has TES freedom of making your powers and class do what you want. So much so its almost a sandbox class system

5 You can now explore anywhere on one char, by most here that seems to make it sandbox lol

6 lots of features to encurage and reward you for exploring. More then most MMOs do

Thats just to name a few. Only thing you cant do from TES game is play any race with any faction. ESO is themepark but that is far from fail. Bad games fail, good games do well thats all. 

Think about what they said about exploring the other area's, they only open when you reach 50 and complete all of the quests in your area....  And the content will be scaled to give you a harder challenge....

This about this.....  How is an area going to be harder for you?  But yet easy for them?  Because your not going to be in there zone your going to be in your own instanced version of there zone!!!

What TES game could you explore all the areas? None of them. This is a MMO and they are opening up the game so you can go anywhere and your upset because they are making 2/3 of the maps end game content? WHAT?!?!?!?!? You want to explore but kill grey mobs? As a MMO player you should be excited that not only you get to explore everywhere but the mobs will be worth fighting because it will take skill and you will be rewarded as the level you are. Matter of fact some of the best loot in the game will be earned this way. THATS A GOOD THING!!! (((eye roll)))

I am sorry, I just have to comment. You just went full retard. Like, the kind of retard that is the reason why the investors don't give their money to make something decent. The 12-year old with rich parents kind of retard. The squeaker on X-box Live kind of retard. The go f-yourself and play singleplayer games if you want pve kind of retard.

Ok, I'm cool. *lights one up* I can clearly understand why nobody would invest for something so risky as a full sandbox MMO, especially with something like a high-expectation franchise like TES. No problem. What I can't understand is why the Hell don't they make more servers? What happened to the time where if you wanted PVE, you would've rolled a char on a PVE server. Same for PVP or Roleplay. Sure, the costs to maintain them are higher, but let's think a little: We've all been there, we've all been tempted to have more than one character. Some more, some less. More characters to grow means more subscriptions. More subscriptions => more money. Whereas if you lvl up different chars on the same kind of server with the same crummy mechanics, you get bored and leave the game quicker than if you lvl up one from pvp-ing and another from pve, for example. Why the f*** are developers even bothering to copy shit mechanincs from games that are sucessful instead of taking their strong points? Do what Blizzard did. As much as I hate that company and swore I'd never pay them 1 cent for any future games, they did good. They took everything they could and made them in their style, but they took what had POTENTIAL. Why bother instancing everything? The same damn problem Vindictus had: almost flawless combat, but everything was instanced. Crap. If I want to go head on and charge into a party with 10-20 high level players because I'm bored, I want to be able to do that.

As much as casual gamers are concerned, IMHO, if you want to play a p2p mmo just to talk or kill the AI, go play Hello kitty online or some other junk. I don't need no children who still pick their nose in my game just because their parents can't take time to properly give them an education and throw them one game after another. If you're not old enough to know advanced mathematics, you should be attending school, not mess up a franchise just because you're consumers. Cause you're not, your parents are paying for those games, and they don't give two s**** about lore or any other thing that made the game worth paying for. As far as PVP goes, no worries, no kid will spend their entire week analysing game mechanics or other more advanced things. Those are done by HARDCORE gamers a.k.a. the people that PAY because they have some kind of EXPECTATIONS out of a game.

As much as I'd love those things to happen, since I'm aware that money talks in this situation, the idea with separate servers remains. I want this game to succeed, I really do, but I've learned over the years that expectations have nothing to do with the final product and I urge everyone to hold onto their money until they see the game they want. Maybe by not getting the money they invested into a s*** project back, the developers will think twice about throwing money on just another WoW clone that is doomed to fail. Because greed mixed with intelligence is more dangerous than downright idiotic greed like we see in so many companies nowadays. I'm not saying make an MMO where you lose everything on death, including your character, that's just idiotic. But if you want to go in any of the extremes, do it on several servers so we can all enjoy the game.

DODGES THE FLAMING TROLL HATE! You are now +1 at dodging trolls.

That was close I almost read past you calling me retarded. Less hate I may read your next post.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    all i seriously hear in this thread is op and a few others are crying because they cannot go around and camp players in other realms because you have to flag for pvp or be in the end game zones for it. This game will do far better than any  all so great sandbox that released. Hell im willing to bet right now that this game sells more boxes alone than eve combined with all the rest of its full loot pvp garbage thats out there. OP seriously if you think this game would do better with how you are thinking it will be you are sadly dillusional. Themeparks outsale any sandbox games over here. Also you can blame games like darkfall and mortal using excuses for the devs not having funding or whatever but its not that trust me , its people dont want to be griefed when they are playing a game and trying to relax. They have a full large zone for all the pvp you wish , if you dont like it like that dont play its as simple as that. But coming here with this argument sandboxes are so great and finacially your claims have ZERO truth to them.

Third off learn to spell and brush up on your grammer while you're at it and learn which words actually exist in the english language.

Follow the above and someone might actually take the time to read everything you write and not just skim through it like an intellectual would through the twilight saga out of morbid curiosity.

I think you go off road and start attacking spelling and 'grammer' of posters when you run out of legitimate points of discussion but still..... lol!!

Maybe time to follow your own advice.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98

I have played Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim....  Forever I have journey thru the lands of Tamriel thinking just how awesome this game would be as an MMO....  And now that day is finally looming and I am horribly saddened!!!

Knowing that another great title, has choosen the Carebear way, the dawning of the Themepark!  Star Trek Online, SWTOR and now ESO....  All steming from the birth of the themepark inside of the world of warcraft....  Well news flash, WoW became a great game because of content and its SANDBOX, the ability to go anywhere and kill anyone that lived on the server no matter if that ment a suicidal charge into ogrimar. 

This Mega server concept where you instance the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer, being a person who loves all facets of the game from crafting to PvE to PVP because it destroys PVP and allows the CAREBEAR to never stray into danger!  Thus  his reward comes with no risk and the game lacks the sharp edge of a knife and will grow stale and boring because the ultimate mob will always be another player!

Trammel Ruined Ultima Online

NGE Ruined Star Wars Galaxy's

The Hype of WoW made Shadowbane a desert

Darkfall was destroyed by poor customer relations

And ESO will dead before it releases because of a failed concept "The Mega Server"

And its a real shame because you have the Following, you have the graphics, you have the history, you have put in place an excellent craftining system, you have the money and the backing to make a AAA game but you chose the road of the Themepark a fad that is not wanted by anyone other then the CAREBEARS!!! 

Sadly, the road of the carebears is the way that attracts customers. It has to be a small company that will break the ice for the bigger investors with successfull sandbox game, before anyone is willing to invest in one.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by doodphace   Themeparks are good, but a niche market.  
      did you mean sandbox?
    No he meant that they are a niche market for those who lack the ability to self-direct.

lack the ability or just don't like games like that? anyone who thinks theme parks are niche compared to sanbox are not living in reality.

Theme Parks are accesibility models for those who need direction. It doesn't matter why you need it, it's still the main element of the design. You may be able to self-direct your activities but if you choose not to, then it's a wash.

It's easier to reference it this way than to try and be sensitive. I'm sure there is no statistical break down on "why do you choose to have your MMO experience so narrow and linear, is it because you're stupid?" If you happen to find that study I would love to see it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Fondel

I have played Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim....  Forever I have journey thru the lands of Tamriel thinking just how awesome this game would be as an MMO....  And now that day is finally looming and I am horribly saddened!!!

Knowing that another great title, has choosen the Carebear way, the dawning of the Themepark!  Star Trek Online, SWTOR and now ESO....  All steming from the birth of the themepark inside of the world of warcraft....  Well news flash, WoW became a great game because of content and its SANDBOX, the ability to go anywhere and kill anyone that lived on the server no matter if that ment a suicidal charge into ogrimar. 

This Mega server concept where you instance the whole world IS NOT a SANDBOX and cannot be acceptable by any true gamer, being a person who loves all facets of the game from crafting to PvE to PVP because it destroys PVP and allows the CAREBEAR to never stray into danger!  Thus  his reward comes with no risk and the game lacks the sharp edge of a knife and will grow stale and boring because the ultimate mob will always be another player!

And ESO will dead before it releases because of a failed concept "The Mega Server"

And its a real shame because you have the Following, you have the graphics, you have the history, you have put in place an excellent craftining system, you have the money and the backing to make a AAA game but you chose the road of the Themepark a fad that is not wanted by anyone other then the CAREBEARS!!! 

Sadly, the road of the carebears is the way that attracts customers. It has to be a small company that will break the ice for the bigger investors with successfull sandbox game, before anyone is willing to invest in one.

I really have to wonder who the people are who like to use "carebear" to describe that inferior category of player that they, most asuredly, are not part of.

I'm not going to click on your names and make a guess... you're both 13 right?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• I applaude OP, he is right, they just use the brand ESO to lure some players like they do with SWTOR and Star Trek, even if these games sucks hard. They are AAA titles so they are forced to make carebear games to attract more kiddos to cover expenses.

But don't worry, lots of sandbox are in the making made by indie companies and free from these crappy lobbies, the Repopulation, Embers of caerus, Black desert, Pathfinder, Gloria Victis, etc... this year will be remembered as the year of sandbox, so who cares about ESO?

Just wait and see mate. :)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Iselin

Third off learn to spell and brush up on your grammar while you're at it and learn which words actually exist in the english language.

God man, don't make it so easy... glass houses and all...

Sorry, was in a rush, fixed it now.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by SysFail

I doubt there's many souls that didn't try out WoW on release, it's hype was pretty spectacular, but i bet many like myself returned after a few months to the games they may have left behind.

Thats funny, sub trends show the exact opposite.

I can only go by personal experience, supply the stats if you've got them.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Notice the significant drop in most titles at the same time, with pretty much none of them ever gaining subs again. For point of reference judge it by the same line as Eq2, they did launch within a month of one another.

Hats off to EVE, they're showing how to develop an MMO over time, where as titles like Conan and Warhammer are showing that if you bring a piece of shit to the market, your get hammered for it.

Also interesting to see second life, a sandbox title doing well also.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

Todd Howard overseas this project as well, and if he has given his approval, then that is all I need. 

Provide a link to this please, or else it just looks like a lie.

Todd works for Bethesda and does not even play mmorpg games. he has said that he does not enjoy mmorpg or much online gaming in general. so either show some facts or stop spreading lies.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Hats off to EVE, they're showing how to develop an MMO over time, where as titles like Conan and Warhammer are showing that if you bring a piece of shit to the market, your get hammered for it.

Arguable. EVE has 2 factors in its favor that most others do not, namely PLEX and how its used in its economy, and a singular progression system that all but forces you to have multiple accounts if you actually want to effectively take part in multiple facets of gameplay in a timely manner. By all accounts (unfortunetly I can no longer find the link) EVE has one of the highest multi account playerbases of mmo players. The last numbers I say but it upwards of 30% of its playerbase have 2 accounts or more, which considering its low system demands makes a lot of sense.

Originally posted by Zairu

Todd works for Bethesda and does not even play mmorpg games. he has said that he does not enjoy mmorpg or much online gaming in general. so either show some facts or stop spreading lies.

Considering that the studio developing this is in the same building and by all accounts sharing information its entirely plausable. Not that its really a boon considering just how poor the combat and AI systems have always been in the TES series. With the strong enphasis on "learn everything" I am getting more and more feeling that this is another TSW.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Originally posted by Doogiehowser You are right OP considering that how successful sandbox MMOS are and how much money studios make from sandbox titles. Investors are foolish to put their money into ESO project which is clearly a themepark MMO. I mean who would want to dump their hard earned money just like that? Fools i say.
    Yup, EA got is spot on with the star wars IP and other companies are leaping to repeat the same model with well known IP's.
    What is hilarious is that EA probably makes more money with a  failed  themepark MMO like SWTOR in comparison to all sandbox MMOS of which there is only one successful title EVE ONLINE and which is not even a fantasy / high fantasy title. lolz!!
    I'm guessing you are very young.  

Ultima Online's servers have been open for the past 15+ years.  It was highly successful for a long time, and considering people are still playing, it must be successful enough for EA to continue to make content for it.

EQ was a bit of a sandbox hybrid, but I do remember it being a very popular and successful game.

SWG was very popular, and from everything that I've read (I didn't play it), the game was destroyed by the company who made it, not because it wasn't good.

You mentioned EVE.  And that's not even a high fantasy game, which we know is the most popular setting of the two.

Darkfall, Unholy Wars has actually fixed a massive amount of issues with the old game.  The original was not a success at all, in any way.  However, I think Aventurine will see a fairly large influx in population once the game leaves beta.  It may never see 200,000 players, but I do believe it will be enough to turn a profit.

As far as TESO goes..  

I believe they have a lot of cool features that translate well in an MMO.  I however believe that they are suffering from an identity crisis.  I believe their developers have a lot of ideas that don't fit will together, and they are forcing them to work no matter what. Things like Megaserver, destroying the community.  Phasing and instancing that are making what you do only a part of the overall picture in the world.  Land locking and communication locking factions from 1-50, then opening that up at 50.  Which doesn't make any sense at all.  On top of that, when you go into those areas, you will only be seeing NPC's, not opposing players.  They added 3 factions, all which don't exist, then grouped warring races as allies, just to fit in 3 faction PvP, which doesn't make sense.  They allow you to group with enemies after 50, and in a game where you are supposed to be killing those players, it kills any sort of realm pride or hatred.  They went against the IP''s sandbox direction and made classes, as well as refused to add housing in the open world.  

This game could have been the best of all of the sandbox MMO's.  With hundreds of thousands, if not millions of players playing for years to come.  Hell, their single player games have people playing for years.  Imagine if you could live in the world, where your progress actually meant something.  

They are pissing on the very people who made their game so popular.

first of all, ES games are not sandbox's, they are theme park style more than anything with some sandbox elements.

secondly, the guy you quoted is actually correct regardless of what age he is.

IIRC EQ was the most popular MMO as far as subs pre-wow era.... because of its themepark elements that other games didn't really have at the time.

even when SWG came out it was still not as successful as EQ even though it was starwars.

i am not saying themeparks are better (it depends on personal preference) but they definitely attract more people.

sandbox games are cool but only attract a niche group of players.

that is why you wont see a company sink millions of dollars into the development of a pure sandbox game or you wont see a major IP like ES be made into one either.

SWG was the last one and it likely will never happen again unless a sandbox comes out that we have not seen before that attracts the masses.

Did you just seriously see what you typed?  

Just because a game has one or two elements of themepark and a hundred elements of sandbox, does not make it a themepark.  You're view is clearly skewed by some sort of bizzaro world bias that no one can actually figure out other than yourself.

A game where you can go anywhere and do anything...

a game where you can make your own home in...

a game that is modded, and modded heavily...

a game where you aren't pushed down any path, at any time...

a game not restricted by levels, according to where you go or what you can do...

a game where you can never finish the storyline and still be just as strong as someone who did...

a game where your actions determine your skills, not some arbitrary number of experience that levels you up...

a game where the world actually revolves around itself, not you...

I'm going to shorten this because it's going to go on for a long time.

a game where there are quests... even though you don't have to start them, finsih them or do them in a certain order

Oh yeah, and the most obvious themeoark element.. It's a game designed by someone?

Right, it's easy to spout off at the mouth about something, but it's a whole lot harder to actually explain it.  Right now, you are no different to me than some high school kid telling me that I'm a dummy, and then running off to his friends.  Prove you have any idea about what you are saying and that opinion may change.

Oh yeah.

Bazinga =P

Considering that the studio developing this is in the same building and by all accounts sharing information its entirely plausable. Not that its really a boon considering just how poor the combat and AI systems have always been in the TES series. With the strong enphasis on "learn everything" I am getting more and more feeling that this is another TSW.

there is nothing at all in your post to verify his involvement. not even much logic tbh.

if you look online yourself, instead of speculating on mmorpg.com, you would learn he does not even like mmorpgs and has never spoken on eso officially.

Arguable. EVE has 2 factors in its favor that most others do not, namely PLEX and how its used in its economy, and a singular progression system that all but forces you to have multiple accounts if you actually want to effectively take part in multiple facets of gameplay in a timely manner. By all accounts (unfortunetly I can no longer find the link) EVE has one of the highest multi account playerbases of mmo players. The last numbers I say but it upwards of 30% of its playerbase have 2 accounts or more, which considering its low system demands makes a lot of sense.

One thing that is clear from that chart however, is that there is most definitely room for a AAA sandbox on the market, it won't hit the millions, but it will certainly pay for its self with profit to boot and will have a higher retention rate than a themepark, just because of the nature of the sandbox player.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by evilastro

SWTOR at its peak has 1.7M subs its now below 1M over a 700K drop...  But yes thats still alot of subscriptions, minor problem the game costed over 400M to make meaning it hasnt turned a profit yet... and Runescapes 8.5M subscriptions at peak wont be touched by SWTOR anytime soon nor ever!

The $400 mil rumour is just that, a rumour. SWTOR probably still has about 1 mil subscribers, based on server loads and general activity. Each of those paying $15 a month.  That combined with the box sales and cash shop sales would have more than paid for the development costs by now.

SWG had less than 200k subscribers by the time they tried the NGE which everyone blames for the death of the game, but really the game was dying well before that.

Just face it, even the most popular sandbox - EVE - cannot compete with one of the most generic and bland themeparks - SWTOR.  Why would people throw money at that? When they can make something bland and generic with a good IP and get SWTOR numbers?

SWTOR is now free to play and they do not say if the remaining active subscriptions are paying so its very likely a large chunk of that remaining subscriber base is paying 0....  And no the 400M is not a rumor

And FYI it would take 1M Subs at 15 per month for 24 months to = 360M  So two years of Sub fee's at the 1M active sub level to break even

1) It was a rumour. It has never been confirmed anywhere.

2) Most of the players are subscribing, the game is set up that way. If you don't subscribe at max level (which is still very active) then you end up paying more than a subscription.

3) They had about 2 mil to 1.7 mil subs for the first 6 months. Add the box fee on top. So yeah no.  

For the record, I don't play the game or have any interest in it. But if you think it is unprofitable you are incredibly delusional. Go log into the game, its free to look at how busy it is.

EA's shares took a 50% loss just after the release of SWTOR, coincidence or not?

Shares are based on expectations. Not comparitive profit.

Just to chime in on this, although SWTOR flopped in the sense of coming nowhere near WoW, it does have more paying subscribers than EVE. Money is indeed with Themeparks. Rift is another example of a themepark (well made one at that) having more paying subs than EVE.

Eve has done remarkedly well for what it is, its freedom of choice is fantastic, but the spaceship instead of a toon is very niche indeed.

Take the same model that EvE uses, but apply it to a world with toons and i've no doubt it would be a phenomenal success.

Its called SWG...its didnt fair so wall, esp pre NGE.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

YEAH!

Because "carebears" don't deserve to game, I mean if you can't jack someone up while they are fighting a bear and take all their crap then why game at all!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• FondelFondel Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Fondel

I really have to wonder who the people are who like to use "carebear" to describe that inferior category of player that they, most asuredly, are not part of.

I'm not going to click on your names and make a guess... you're both 13 right?

Who cares about the terms? Everyone knows which game type we are talking about. THEMEPARKS. the word Carebear just describes the whole scene so perfectly. Deal with it.

there is nothing at all in your post to verify his involvement. not even much logic tbh.

if you look online yourself, instead of speculating on mmorpg.com, you would learn he does not even like mmorpgs and has never spoken on eso officially.

Do you have any idea how an office works? The sheer idea that an email has not been passed back and forth, or advice is absurd when they work that closely together. Its almost like saying the dev teams that made Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas did not talk either.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Originally posted by doodphace

Themeparks are good, but a niche market.

did you mean sandbox?

If you read my entire post, I obviously ment sandbox

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

One thing that is clear from that chart however, is that there is most definitely room for a AAA sandbox on the market, it won't hit the millions, but it will certainly pay for its self with profit to boot and will have a higher retention rate than a themepark, just because of the nature of the sandbox player.

Why wont it hit the millions???  Give this Sandbox a powerful IP like Star Wars or in this case TES and it sure could!

Heck if the original SWG was rereleased!!!  I bet it could come damn near the million mark!

And before you say but it only hit 500K the first time .....

This is true but that was then there were less gamers playing MMO's and WoW was the fresh new shiny toy....  WoW is no longer so shinny and people want a game just like SWG!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Do you have any idea how an office works? The sheer idea that an email has not been passed back and forth, or advice is absurd when they work that closely together. Its almost like saying the dev teams that made Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas did not talk either.

nice speculation.

also, I never said that he never once spoke about it within the company, in passing, but not as a working member of Zenimax Online, which is not the same thing as Zenimax or Bethesda. If it was all the same thing, they would not have seperate names to distinguish the different sections of the sister companies.

and no. i don't think the guys for FONV talked to the FO3 team very much if at all. had they been close, FONV might not be such a horrible game in comparison. (but that is another topic. the games are not even comparable in terms of quality). 

Again, that is a tough sell. EVE breaks a number of "rules" which is why there are a large number that do not play it at all that are fans of both styles. There is no silver bullet answer to the question of Themepark or Sandbox. The only true answer we know is based on previous data. The data says many many more players prefer themepark.

Why wont it hit the millions???  Give this Sandbox a powerful IP like Star Wars or in this case TES and it sure could!

Heck if the original SWG was rereleased!!!  I bet it could come damn near the million mark!

And before you say but it only hit 500K the first time .....

This is true but that was then there were less gamers playing MMO's and WoW was the fresh new shiny toy....  WoW is no longer so shinny and people want a game just like SWG!

My apologies, I should have wrote "It may not hit million's".

This discussion has been closed.