Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WS goes F2P will you still play it?

Comments

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

well its endgame is raid focused, so should be p2p, b2p wouldnt work.. its not gw2, gw2 was never about endgame or raiding

there are really no raiding focused games in f2p either.. wow and rift both p2p , well eq2 and lotr are ftp with sub?  so same as p2p if you wana raid

there is really no point to go f2p from the begining , maybe 6-12 months latter  like swtor

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

If the game goes f2p it will become i side game i play.  Just cant get into f2p games...and i dont want to...because they are more expensive than p2p games when you do get into them deep.  Also the community takes a massive hit and becomes a terrible place to be.

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    I would doubt they would go f2p atleast at launch. To much profit in selling the initial boxed copy of the game. My hopes are as alot of it seems if for a b2p option much like GW2.

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47

If this game is F2P, I can't imagine I'd even bother downloading it.  I have been hooked to 4 MMO's in my life, all of them were P2P.  I have tried about a dozen F2P's, either they were underdeveloped garbage, souless boredom, or more expensive than P2P's.  F2P games, in my experience, are always a massive disapointment. 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by cybersrs
    The game looks fun to play. I just do not know why in 2013 they still make crap graphics games.

Graphics look great and really fit with the theme of the game.

Not everything needs to be ultra-realistic.

It will probably be B2P/F2P with a cash shop any maybe DLC.  Subs seem to be falling out of fashion right now.

I'll play it, looks fun, and I appreciate how its not taking itself to seriously.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    No, I'm done with cash shop games.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Given the sheer number of things on offer in this game at launch there is no way in hell they'd sacrifice box sales and release as F2P. Games intended to launch as F2P have much lower development budgets because there's a much smaller immediate return on costs.

B2P is possible I think, but I hope not... cash shops always fall into a steady decline of greed.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Judging from some of the comments in the videos I believe that WS will be at least p2p. For example, in the housing video it said that you can purchase different kinds of houses in addition to myriad of objects that you can put in them. I can see a lot of objects coming from drops, crafting and the like but it sounds like a perfect opportunity for a cash shop.

I prefer a sub model as I think that is the only way that an aaa mmo will survive long term. But unless they go in your face with the cash shop I will be buying the game f2p or p2p.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Judging from some of the comments in the videos I believe that WS will be at least p2p. For example, in the housing video it said that you can purchase different kinds of houses in addition to myriad of objects that you can put in them. I can see a lot of objects coming from drops, crafting and the like but it sounds like a perfect opportunity for a cash shop.

I prefer a sub model as I think that is the only way that an aaa mmo will survive long term. But unless they go in your face with the cash shop I will be buying the game f2p or p2p.

They actually said quite clearly in that video that they intend most housing items to be earned in-game but will likely introduce some later on as micro-transactions.

I'm not really sure how to interpret that, but I'm inclined to assume that if the game was F2P they wouldn't be waiting around to charge us for housing cosmetics.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'm very much with the crowd that says they'll play it if it's F2P, wait for reviews to buy it if B2P (though I'd likely prefer this method if the game's good enough) and probably skip it if it's P2P.  Just a personal things of mine and some of my friends; I'm not allowing myself any more P2P games unless I get a good deal from it or there are perfect 10 out of 10 scores across the board with my friends all raving about it for months on end.

I've been on the boat of paying for about 9 MMOs a month before and I'm just not interesting anymore; it got to the point where I felt like my characters were being held for ransom, and I wasn't getting my money's worth if I didn't ignore people of import or things I used to take enjoyment in just to play.  Not to mention that I typically pay twice for an MMO as whenever I play it, my girlfriend usually wants to play so that she could actually talk to me whenever I'm into the game.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    nvm
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I will pay ful retail box price plus a month subscription for a good game.  What I define as a good game is an MMO that has massive depth in combat and crafting plus a seamless world that does not look cartoony and is more of a simulation rather than a 1-50 hand holding leveling themepark.

That is not Wildstar, so I will not play Wildstar.  If it goes free to play, I still will not play it.  I don't really care for the art style but that is not the main thing that bugs me about this game.  This game should be called  Avoid The Red Square of Death Online.  There is a little thing I like to call "too much of a good thing".

Part of the fun of MMO combat is finding out about monsters and how to combat them.  In EQ1, you dreaded to fight NPC enchanters because they could rip your group apart with mezzes or even charms.  But you had to die a few times to figure things out.

What is the point of seeing giagantic red death squares on the ground.  That doesn't teach you anything, only to avoid red squares.

The developers have not a single clue and this game proves it.  They are calling this a sandbox game......except that it has zones, and a strict themepark leveling guide with NPCs with exclamation points....and housing is instanced....yeah, a real sandbox game.  I hope this game dies such a grand death that the developers have to take jobs in a zoo cleaning up crap from a seal tank.  Then they can know how we feel playing these cheap ass games.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

I really prefer p2p. If it has quality endgame, meaning enough to do for players to stay for months, mainly good PvP progression, enough grinding/farming after levelcap, hard raid content, it will only grow. The mistakes most of the mmorpg's have done the last year is not having those (Swtor had zero endgame, you had the game completed including raid content in 2-4 weeks, no improvements coming, game was exactly the same as beta 6 months before release. TERA to this day has no endgame, that's why it went f2p. There was nothing at all to do after you got level capped, only dungeons. 1 year later. Exactly the same. AoC was just a terrible mess. Rift had the same issues at release, but they were pretty much the only mmorpg that actually improved on their mistakes).

I don't even know 1 f2p mmorpg that has enough content to please a player who will take 2-3 weeks free when he starts to play the game and after the vacation, still have anything left to do. I really hope they go the way Rift/WoW is and actually have enough content  at the release to be worth the monthly fee's. The mmorpg's that have ruined the p2p reputation are just failures caused by the publishers and designers. A f2p will never offer the same amount of progressive content in an mmorpg like a p2p mmorpg, unless it is a gigantic success with a SUCCESSFUL micro-transaction system, which I doubt a game like WildStar would manage to get. All departments in big game development companies just get paid too much to stay hired by a f2p model.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by koboldfodder
     I hope this game dies such a grand death that the developers have to take jobs in a zoo cleaning up crap from a seal tank.  Then they can know how we feel playing these cheap ass games.

Developers and all the people hired to create a game get paid for all the work they do, regardless whether the game is success or not. When the project is finished (aka release), most of the developers move on to the next project already. Success or failure of the game doesn't affect the paychecks anyhow in big companies, only small indie companies that consist of very few people, which base on royalties ;). To enlighten you even more, developers only do work. Developers don't really give feedback or design the game. Game ideas are done by the designers and whether and how they get into the game, depend if the publishers (who mostly just do money and want profit, not play games) like and agree with them. If you hate all the shit games, talk to the publishers or maybe you just have grown up and grown tired of these type of games or live too much in nostalgia of your first games to like anything new.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I just hope stick with whatever model they decide on. Games that try to make a transition always end up splitting their players into teirs so that they can keep up the subscriptions. Of course they are never p2w either because it's just 15$ a month to get the good stuff.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

$10-15 / month P2P model with free client-download and no additional costs for expansions.

If it's anything else, then I'm not interested.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Screw F2P model

P2P for the win... for me atleast :)

And WildStar looks more than worthy having P2P status, I am willing to pay a lot more than 15$ per month.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Yalexy

$10-15 / month P2P model with free client-download and no additional costs for expansions.

If it's anything else, then I'm not interested.

xD

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

P2P is on the way out the door. Has there been a AAA P2P MMO that hasn't been forced to switch to F2P in the past three years? IMO, P2P is just the money grab from the suckers willing to pay box price AND a sub fee before the inevitable transition to F2P.

I would probably pass on the game even if it was B2P, because the overly cartoonish style is such a huge turn off. (If it had been in the CGI style of the trailers, I'd love it. However, it looks exactly like one would imaging WoW in Space would look. Same exact modeling and texture art style, to an absolute T).

So, at this point, it would need to be F2P od B2P @ $20 for me to even think of touching it. Too bad, because I was very interested in this game.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by fiontar

P2P is on the way out the door. Has there been a AAA P2P MMO that hasn't been forced to switch to F2P in the past three years? IMO, P2P is just the money grab from the suckers willing to pay box price AND a sub fee before the inevitable transition to F2P.I would probably pass on the game even if it was B2P, because the overly cartoonish style is such a huge turn off. (If it had been in the CGI style of the trailers, I'd love it. However, it looks exactly like one would imaging WoW in Space would look. Same exact modeling and texture art style, to an absolute T).So, at this point, it would need to be F2P od B2P @ $20 for me to even think of touching it. Too bad, because I was very interested in this game.

Lol p2p is not going anywhere. Peoples obession with f2p is unreal. There is nothing money grabbing about p2p. It's a business. They want to make money. Players are just cheap and want everything handed to them.

P2p has struggled lately because no one has put out a product that has been good enough to keep players into it. That doesn't mean p2p is going anywhere. It means developers need to get it in their head that if they ship a rushed unfinished game it won't last.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    No, I despise F2P and B2P mmo's. I've yet to play one that's worth a crap.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by fiontar
    P2P is on the way out the door. Has there been a AAA P2P MMO that hasn't been forced to switch to F2P in the past three years? IMO, P2P is just the money grab from the suckers willing to pay box price AND a sub fee before the inevitable transition to F2P.I would probably pass on the game even if it was B2P, because the overly cartoonish style is such a huge turn off. (If it had been in the CGI style of the trailers, I'd love it. However, it looks exactly like one would imaging WoW in Space would look. Same exact modeling and texture art style, to an absolute T).So, at this point, it would need to be F2P od B2P @ $20 for me to even think of touching it. Too bad, because I was very interested in this game.

EvE Online and WoW are still P2P and going strong.

The problem is, that most MMOs released within the last 5 years are simply so bad, that they're not worth paying a subscription for.

All those F2P-titles outthere are played for a short while until people have to start paying real money and then they jump to the next F2P-title.

• AzartenAzarten Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Would be nice if they actually got around to saying what payment model it will have, I honestly don't see why it hasn't already been announced.  It's one of the reasons I've kept my interest in it fairly low because if it is F2P then I wont be playing it.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't care if it's B2P or F2P, but I probably won't pay a sub.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    if it's a good game i don't really care what the payment model is.  if it's a bad game i don't really care either.