Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Titan

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by Briansho
    Blizzard is really good at selling products and making little cut scene movies but retaining customers, they bad. Aren't total WOW numbers down to like 9 million from 12 last year? That's around 25% drop!

Customer retention on blizzard games is probably something other developers touch themselves at the thought of mimicing.

People still play Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft and Brood War are still played by many, people still play Warcraft 3 and the original Dota mod for it, WoW has 9 million active players(over 3 million western subs at £8.99 a month), Starcraft 2 WoL and HoTS are hugely popular all over the world and have people playing them for a real life jobs.

The only lemon in the bunch is Diablo 3, the retention on that must have been horrendous.

+50 hipster points to Briansho

-50 hipster points to SlickShoes

+1000 reality points to SlickShoes

Briansho....not so much...

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Blizzard is really good at selling products and making little cut scene movies but retaining customers, they bad. Aren't total WOW numbers down to like 9 million from 12 last year? That's around 25% drop!

ya wow is a total failure.  I mean there's 1000 other games worse than wow in retaining players but we need to keep bashing it.

I think you guys have wacky standard.  Wow have been out for so many years.  Only other game I see that keep growing is eve.

So we need to keep bash wow because there's 1 game better than it at retaining players. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

theyve dropped from 12mil to a little under 10 mil over the last 4 years or so.  Name me an MMORPG (besides EvE) that hasnt dropped by 15-20% in that same time frame.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

theyve dropped from 12mil to a little under 10 mil over the last 4 years or so.  Name me an MMORPG (besides EvE) that hasnt dropped by 15-20% in that same time frame.

Heck...name one that has 2+ million subs (the amount of drop)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    wow isnt going anywhere I just resubbed to it myself for 5.2 to do the new raids and I can tell you both of my servers have not lost any population at all and they are not even as bad as soom of the servers for population. Everyone just about in my old guilds are there still and people enjoy wow regardless of what a few people here think. They can lose another 5 million subs and still be top doog for sure here. But there are vets to this day that have been playing wow since vanilla that have no intention of going anywhere and im pretty sure there are still a lot of blizzard fans that will gladly buy titan just because its a new mmorpg from them. It might not be the next world of warcraft , but it will have a place in the market IMO right next to it for sure.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Psychow

Subs is a dying business anyway. GW2 does sell 2M boxes. TOR too.

If you want to compare to successful online game ... LOL is the one. It has many more users than WOW .. though not all of them spend money.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Blizzard's philosophy of not making inovations, but instead making the game very well executed, didn't work for D3 :)

If they apply the same philosophy to Titan, it might go the same way as D3.

It worked for WoW because the mmorpg's at the time were not very well executed.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    @Claum: for someone who claims to hate everything Blizzard does, you seem to be fixated on their every move and intent on giving a nod to their every product.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Arcona

Blizzard's philosophy of not making inovations, but instead making the game very well executed, didn't work for D3 :)

I don't know.  They did sell something like 10 million boxes.  That is definately a commercial success. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I don't know.  They did sell something like 10 million boxes.  That is definately a commercial success. 

Yes. That's not the point.

The they took the mechanics of the mmorpgs at the time and executed them 500% better, so they sold 10000% better than the other mmorpgs :)

The they took the mechanics of the mmorpgs at the time and executed them 500% better, so they sold 10000% better than the other mmorpgs :)

That is the point.  You said it didn't work well for D3.  10 million sales says it worked very very well.

Improving the mechanics 500% means that it will result in a 1000% increase in sales?  Ya neither sales, nor logic really works like that.

Didn't work? D3 sold 12M copies. It is still #11 on xfire after 10 month.

If Titan goes the same way as D3,  it would be great.

You don't mean "it does not work", you mean "you don't like it".

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    I would not say that panda expantion was a fail. The low was cata for me tbh. How they will make it for a wider audiance I dont know. Hope they wont make it somthing for kids though!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Claum

Panda is a big fail , D3 is even a bigger fail with RMAH and I don't think they will sell more than 3 million copys from Project TItan if it ever comes out. D3 will be released on Ps3 I dont care because D3 feels like Ps2 game 

This is like the second post I've seen from you today ripping up the RMAH. You must really, really dislike it. 

Here's some reality, if Titan is free to play or buy to play, like D3, then it will most likely have a RMAH. Why wouldn't it? I also don't get how you can possibly dislike a game that allows you to sell stuff for real money legitimately. Sure Blizz is taking a cut, why wouldn't they? For those of us who live in the real world (like the actual real world) we come across these fees all the time. If you've ever sold anything on ebay or in a real live auction you've paid these fees. It's not like Blizz is doing something truly underhanded here. 

Does it create the risk of bots invading our games? Sure it does! I'll tell you something, though, I remember when WoW was just released and it was like bot crazy! If you were around for that and see where Blizz is now, you'd understand that they have a much better handle on bots than they used to and for any game that's worth botting, you'll see much more bots than you will in WoW. 

In that same vein, if D3 was the pilot for their RMAH, I'm sure you'll see a more fully-realized, polished, and bullet-proof version when it does come to Titan. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Wider aidience is simple PR talk,it is an impossible task,albeit develoeprs liek to sound liek politicians telling you what you want to hear.IN other words "BUY our game,it is for you,it is for everyone,so everyone buy our game".

I am not here to bash Blizzard,i truly wish all developers success,well except for those that have been proven criminals...ahem EA ...HAsbro.

As far as Blizzard goes ,i have not found any of their games to be of any quality,not as far as technically or what they COULD have done,especially knowing how much money they had and have got from customers.

This Titan project starts on the right foot by licensing a decent game engine,something Blizzard has NEVER had the luxury of using.This however means little,it just means they start out right,how yo uuse that engine is where it all lies.

So far when we look at all trends,it doesn't look good at all,however if we look at ONLY WOW ,they at least did a half decent job.

So i wil lcutr them some slack and assume they might just put in soem quality effort using the good game engine.Blizzard tends to rehash old ideas so it is really tough to beleive they are building from scratch.This is where i am left totally out in the cold,until we get a better idea of this game,it is all just guessing.I know they bought the Redneck Rampage series and done little with it,so is it perhaps going to rehash that game into a MMO,who knows.

I might add one important point,excuses are no longer accepted from this industry.Developers have the ability to scale their game,so ALL users can play it.Developers can use Alpha,Beta tests to test theri product.having NO definitive timed release date,means you are more concerned with releasing a qality product over just a money grab.Using Alpha/beta to implement CHANGE in the game as needed and asked for by community is another step that SHOULD be followed.beta's should NOT be used as a pre order or PR gimmicks like we see with the current trend of "event weekends".

My whole point is,i am like always skeptical,however just becuase i wouldn't rate anything Blizzard has done in the past as being all that great, i an NOT writing off this game until i know more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

If you want to compare to successful online game ... LOL is the one. It has many more users than WOW .. though not all of them spend money.

Ya I mean we need to keep telling people that mmorpg sucks and only successful games are ones that are not mmorpg.

Why are we even discussing non mmorpg in a mmorpg forum.

I mean mine craft best game ever... oh not an mmorpg

dayz just a mod!!! so cool!! if any mmorpg company copy that model.... cough cough warz, it'll be a huge success!

Originally posted by coretex666

It is best business model for high quality games.

For low quality games, F2P or B2P (as some people refer to F2P with box price) is better.

With increasing number of low quality products being released, we may say that subs is a dying business.

Still you should realize that top games will always go with subs as it is the most profitable model for a game which can attract and hold large playerbase.

I haven't seen any difference in quality between f2p or p2p.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Wider audience, to me, points to PC + consoles or tablets, or perhaps both.

They got the timing perfect for WoW.  My guess is they're working on repeating this.  Cross platform is the only way I can see it happening.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    When I read "wider audience"...I see North America, South America, Europe, Asia, , Africa, Austrailia...Antarctica...aka world wide
  • MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    Hope they do a Linux client for it now its becoming more popular for desktop and is more than useable for gaming as Valve showed with porting most of their games to it!

Originally posted by laokoko

Ya I mean we need to keep telling people that mmorpg sucks and only successful games are ones that are not mmorpg.

dayz just a mod!!! so cool!! if any mmorpg company copy that model.... cough cough warz, it'll be a huge success!

There is no reason why MMORPG devs cannot change, and adapt. In fact, they are doing it by integrating features in other genres into MMOs.

Originally posted by laokoko

There is no reason why MMORPG devs cannot change, and adapt. In fact, they are doing it by integrating features in other genres into MMOs.

you didn't read my last sentence... Dayz huge success, make a full of mmorpg developer... if only some company use that model... cough cough warz...

listen idea is great.  you need to get it working to make it successful.  I can make idea just like every people on this forum who thinks they are a better game developer.  But I just can't get it to work.

That's why I hate the Richard Gariott comment.  We see how he failed to get his game working and shut down and he talk so much trash.

That is the point.  You said it didn't work well for D3.  10 million sales says it worked very very well.

Improving the mechanics 500% means that it will result in a 1000% increase in sales?  Ya neither sales, nor logic really works like that.

So you think they can do the same with Titan?

What niche mechanics have not yet been send to the masses...

Eve Online?

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Mytob
    I would not say that panda expantion was a fail. The low was cata for me tbh. How they will make it for a wider audiance I dont know. Hope they wont make it somthing for kids though!

I suspect its consoles, namely the PS4 given they've announced a partnership.  A wider audience, doesn't need to mean an age demographic.

Maybe "wider" audience means fat people?