Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clearing up the *new* Faction Lock

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I hated the idea of faction lock as I have no love for DAOC or PvP.  This seems like a fairly nice idea as something for PvE'rs to work towards.  This new idea appears to be a good middle ground for both parties.

I'll never understand why everyone hates open world PvP (both PvPer's and PvE people seem to hate it)...I don't mind it.

This was a very smart move on their part as this may help the devs with content creation or lack there of.  The never ending challenge for themepark PvE.

Because people tend to prefer to have control over whether they want to pvp or not. DAoC showed that pvp can be a popular option. as long as there is a point to it, and people can decide whether to participate or not. Open World PvP tends to be unpopular because of the inherent lack of choice that goes along with that type of mechanic. Asheron's Call had a decent enough solution with the "going red" option on pve worlds though.

More on topic:

I like this new idea they've brought forth. They've effectively extended traditional PvE and turned it into an elder game mechanic, and added a point to it in the aspect of gear acquisition. It'll be interesting if rare crafting materials also wind up in the unlocked factional areas. It's a nice nod to explorers and completionists as well.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by rygard49

From the Massively interview:

"Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil."

Seems like conflicting information to me.

Sounds more like the OP misunderstood what Sage was saying. Once you reach 50, you can then explore the rest of Cyrodil effectively, when you go into the other areas, it won't be just with other members of your own faction, i don't really know where the OP got that from tbh, the fact that you can group up with members of other factions just clarifies that at 50 you will be able to play with other level 50 members of different factions, in their, or your own zones for dungeon runs etc, any interaction in other faction areas will be of the none PVP kind, regardless of level.image

This has been cleared up in a few interviews that came out yesterday. You can not team with other factions. Only players of your faction that have earned the right to goto the other factions map will be the people you can team with.

If that's the case, then faction lock remains intact. This pleases me.

Yup, I was about to drop this game. This makes me very happy as well, faction pride and AvA remains intact.

This was good news to hear, thanks for clarifying that, I was confused previously by the other information.

But like every compromise, no one really gets what they want, just some subset of it which they decide to "live with."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Kaneth

I hated the idea of faction lock as I have no love for DAOC or PvP.  This seems like a fairly nice idea as something for PvE'rs to work towards.  This new idea appears to be a good middle ground for both parties.

I'll never understand why everyone hates open world PvP (both PvPer's and PvE people seem to hate it)...I don't mind it.

This was a very smart move on their part as this may help the devs with content creation or lack there of.  The never ending challenge for themepark PvE.

Because people tend to prefer to have control over whether they want to pvp or not. DAoC showed that pvp can be a popular option. as long as there is a point to it, and people can decide whether to participate or not. Open World PvP tends to be unpopular because of the inherent lack of choice that goes along with that type of mechanic. Asheron's Call had a decent enough solution with the "going red" option on pve worlds though.

More on topic:

I like this new idea they've brought forth. They've effectively extended traditional PvE and turned it into an elder game mechanic, and added a point to it in the aspect of gear acquisition. It'll be interesting if rare crafting materials also wind up in the unlocked factional areas. It's a nice nod to explorers and completionists as well.

This was covered in an interview yesterday. Seems crafting materials you collect at level 1 will still be viable to craft high end gear. Its what you add to the base items that mess with it somehow. High level content will have more of this type of crafting mats (AvA, high level dungeons and the other faction maps) but crafters dont have to do that content to get them as they will be tradable as well.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Kaneth

More on topic:

This was covered in an interview yesterday. Seems crafting materials you collect at level 1 will still be viable to craft high end gear. Its what you add to the base items that mess with it somehow. High level content will have more of this type of crafting mats (AvA, high level dungeons and the other faction maps) but crafters dont have to do that content to get them as they will be tradable as well.

Thanks! Missed that part of the interview apparently.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by jfoytek

This is a crock,  Every faction should have resources more prevalent in there area and we should have to take risks to enter there area to harvest these resources to make the best crafted items....

They should see us clear as day and make every attempt to kill us....

Our deaths should warp us back to our home land far from where we were killed....  And a certain amount of items in your inventory like atleast resources should drop and be lootable....

This is how you create good open world pvp that translates into never ending end game content...

But no lets Instance copy these worlds and only allow access to certain kingdoms so all the PvE carebears can have lots of content!

True but since when are the elder scrolls games hardcore pvp games?

All of this just sounds to me like some pvp players were just hoping to have a good pvp game regardless of where the IP was before.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This is a crock,  Every faction should have resources more prevalent in there area and we should have to take risks to enter there area to harvest these resources to make the best crafted items....

Our deaths should warp us back to our home land far from where we were killed....  And a certain amount of items in your inventory like atleast resources should drop and be lootable....

This is how you create good open world pvp that translates into never ending end game content...

But no lets Instance copy these worlds and only allow access to certain kingdoms so all the PvE carebears can have lots of content!

All of this just sounds to me like some pvp players were just hoping to have a good pvp game regardless of where the IP was before.

Since when are Elder Scrolls games Multiplayer?  Its an MMO why does the PvE crowd hold the rights to everything? 

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Yea, obviously the info is  conflicting, but one comes from an itnerpretation of what Paul Sage said from that douchebag from Massively, and the other is directly from Maria Aliprando, so likely, what she says, stands... And if that's the case, I guess I'm Ok with that. Sorry Matt.

Since when are Elder Scrolls games Multiplayer?  Its an MMO why does the PvE crowd hold the rights to everything? 

Best PvP game of all time, DAoC. ESO will have a focused PvP map where all PvP happens to help push the game to epic large scale wars. You like PvP this is the game for you. Let the PvEers have their space to.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Most PvP-centric games tend to be shallower? That's my experience with PvP games. Yours may differ though. I do think the PvE crowd is a bigger market within MMO's.

Best PvP game of all time, DAoC. ESO will have a focused PvP map where all PvP happens to help push the game to epic large scale wars. You like PvP this is the game for you. Let the PvEers have their space to.

Sorry but I disagree best pvp games:

1) Shadowbane

2) Ultima Online Pre Trammel

3) Wurm Online (If you can get past the lack of animation)

4) DaoC

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Why yes,  "they aren't mulitplayer". But making an elderscrolls game doesn't automatically flag it for a "pvp game".

The whole argument of a good many elder scrolls fans was that they wanted the freedom to go and explore the content. Since traditionally this content is pve (as you said, solo games) it seems weird that one might say "w00t! We can finally have an elder scrolls game! And you know what that means? PVPPVPVPVPVPV!!!!

Whether pvp is added or not it doesn't speak to the thrust of these games which is freedom to explore and make your character the way you want.

But from the sounds of the more vocal pvp players, It really didn't seem like they were excited over "elder scrolls" so much as the 3 way faction pvp.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

And I would say "no" lineage 2.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Before:  1/3 world pve map.  Get to level 50 and pvp in Cyrodil or roll an alt.

Now:  100% world pve map.  Get to level 50 and a) pvp in Cyrodiil, b) roll an alt, c) explore other alliance areas.

Before:  Disappointed TES fan vowing not to buy the game.

Now:  Going to pre-order as soon as it can be done.

That's a simple way to put it and one of the reasons why I agree with OP, it is a brillant idea ~ although I'm not sure I personally like it.  I would rather pick a race then a faction BUT this compromise is respectful and I will be supporting the game.

I hope that in the future they add PvP objectives into these areas and perhaps even have a faction-switch questline down the road.  This game is starting to feel more like a TES spin-off and less like a DAoC knock-off (even though I think this idea is closely related to DAoC's co-op servers).

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

Shadowbane died so fast I am not sure it can count. As for the others... thats not this game. You want open world PvP everywhere, go find a game that does that. This game wanted large scale PvP battles, not little battles everywhere. Also its a model that lets PvEers have their fun as well. Not trying to use the broken flag system game 2 and 3 uses on your list. Pure PvEers hate the flag system. Its to easy to force someone to flag who does not want to PvE. As for the order you put the list great but every PvP game that has come out in the end gets compaired on every forum to DAoC. Cant say the same for your top 3 lol.

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

And I would say "no" lineage 2.

I would count Lineage 2 as the second best PvP I have played but I am sure if we started a thread between DAoC and Lineage 2 for who had the best PvP it would be a long fight =) and one I would not want to be the OP to.

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Before:  1/3 world pve map.  Get to level 50 and pvp in Cyrodil or roll an alt.

Now:  100% world pve map.  Get to level 50 and a) pvp in Cyrodiil, b) roll an alt, c) explore other alliance areas.

Before:  Disappointed TES fan vowing not to buy the game.

Now:  Going to pre-order as soon as it can be done.

That's a simple way to put it and one of the reasons why I agree with OP, it is a brillant idea ~ although I'm not sure I personally like it.  I would rather pick a race then a faction BUT this compromise is respectful and I will be supporting the game.

I hope that in the future they add PvP objectives into these areas and perhaps even have a faction-switch questline down the road.  This game is starting to feel more like a TES spin-off and less like a DAoC knock-off (even though I think this idea is closely related to DAoC's co-op servers).

SWToR launched with very set races for their 2 factions and added ways to unlock races for the other faction. Maybe they will do that here.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

"No agitators and race mixers here: When you are leveling up and going about your business in your land, at no point will you see anyone from the opposing faction. No one gets flagged for pvp or anything like that. Like I stated before, enemies exploring your territory will be in a “their faction only” copy of it. Really this is just to appease people who only want to explore the game without sacrificing the segregation of the factions."

This is a HUGE dissapointment to me. I mean its a major game killer to me. I would consider myself a ES addict. My love for the games knows no bounds. This change however, makes zero sense to me. Its fine if you want pvp in a seperate zone. We've had that before and it works, for the most part. But not having that faction to faction interaction thoughout the world just makes it lonely, stale and uninspiriring. I dont see why they cant give people under lvl 50 pvp immunity in these zones. Let the 50s duke it out in the zones if they want to.

Ahhh man, so upset with this. W/e Jormag is spawning, time to kill him for the millionth time.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

But from the sounds of the more vocal pvp players, It really didn't seem like they were excited over "elder scrolls" so much as the 3 way faction pvp.

That's the truth.  They gave us a hard time for criticizing the game and now they are freaking out worse than we ever did.  We just wanted more TES in ESO and yet they tried to make us feel like outcasts.

Originally posted by monarc333

"No agitators and race mixers here: When you are leveling up and going about your business in your land, at no point will you see anyone from the opposing faction. No one gets flagged for pvp or anything like that. Like I stated before, enemies exploring your territory will be in a “their faction only” copy of it. Really this is just to appease people who only want to explore the game without sacrificing the segregation of the factions."

This is a HUGE dissapointment to me. I mean its a major game killer to me. I would consider myself a ES addict. My love for the games knows no bounds. This change however, makes zero sense to me. Its fine if you want pvp in a seperate zone. We've had that before and it works, for the most part. But not having that faction to faction interaction thoughout the world just makes it lonely, stale and uninspiriring. I dont see why they cant give people under lvl 50 pvp immunity in these zones. Let the 50s duke it out in the zones if they want to.

Ahhh man, so upset with this. W/e Jormag is spawning, time to kill him for the millionth time.

The DAoC model is about the war being focused on one map. This makes for deeper more epic battles. Take the 15 gourps spread out all over the place and put them on one map and now you have a war. Thats fun.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by sapphen

That's the truth.  They gave us a hard time for criticizing the game and now they are freaking out worse than we ever did.  We just wanted more TES in ESO and yet they tried to make us feel like outcasts.

You really do enjoy this "us vs. them" pseudo-drama in your head don't you? The square pegs in the square holes and the round ones in the round holes... The fact is that I'm not aware of a single ex-DAoC player here who didn't also enjoy TES. You've just always attempted to polarize based on your personal wishes for the game.

I'm actually laughing my ass off reading some of you claiming victory because they have given you an instanced version of the other zones to explore at 50, where you will see only other 50's from your faction PVEing and will continue to have no interaction with the other alliances (12:30 of the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrflK6An6Y&list=UUpu8dLHavjMi1a5jgT9ycMA

Your complaints about the ESO implementation of TES have been many and still continue today in other threads "it's still not TES" etc. Now you're acting as if an instance for level 50 solo exploreres is a vindication for your many complaints...

The game continues to look great and the necessary alliance segregation is alive and well...I love it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

Shadowbane died so fast I am not sure it can count. As for the others... thats not this game. You want open world PvP everywhere, go find a game that does that. This game wanted large scale PvP battles, not little battles everywhere. Also its a model that lets PvEers have their fun as well. Not trying to use the broken flag system game 2 and 3 uses on your list. Pure PvEers hate the flag system. Its to easy to force someone to flag who does not want to PvE. As for the order you put the list great but every PvP game that has come out in the end gets compaired on every forum to DAoC. Cant say the same for your top 3 lol.

Well I am sorry to break this too you but PvP really began in UO pre Trammel, every old school long term hardcore pvper that was alive then and still plays MMO's hails from UO and will look back at the days of the GM mage as the pinnacle of most of there pvp....  And Shadowbane was a masterpiece a game completely geared toward pvp but hype dragged its playerbase away to WoW and SWG.... 

DaoC ended up the refuge of the pvper as there wasnt much else to play, besides Mortal Online and Darkfall who I give them credit for trying both had some great concepts both were plagued with bugs...

And Wurm is just the unknown Gem, how a game the quality of wurm has gone by with so little public knowledge of its existence is just a shame!

• mightyjoxermightyjoxer Member Posts: 34

Ok so here are some of my questions about faction lock.

Let's say person A is level 50 and has unlocked Faction 1-3-2 in that order.

and person B has unlocked Faction 1-2

Will A and B be able to play together on Faction 2 if it is the third unlocked faction for A?

I ask this because sounds to me like there is a loot discrepancy between second faction  unlock and third faction  unlock loot.

Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

can be found here http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/7227

Next Will person A exclude person B from grouping/partying because they haven't unlocked factions?

Can see it now "LFG for 3rd faction party"

Either way I am going to try the game. I think that is why most of us are here on the forums talking about it before it has even gone live.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by mightyjoxer

Ok so here are some of my questions about faction lock.

Let's say person A is level 50 and has unlocked Faction 1-3-2 in that order.

and person B has unlocked Faction 1-2

Will A and B be able to play together on Faction 2 if it is the third unlocked faction for A?

I ask this because sounds to me like there is a loot discrepancy between second faction  unlock and third faction  unlock loot.

Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

can be found here http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/7227

Next Will person A exclude person B from grouping/partying because they haven't unlocked factions?

Can see it now "LFG for 3rd faction party"

Either way I am going to try the game. I think that is why most of us are here on the forums talking about it before it has even gone live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrflK6An6Y&list=UUpu8dLHavjMi1a5jgT9ycMA 12:30 of the video.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

1) Shadowbane

4) DaoC

Well I am sorry to break this too you but PvP really began in UO pre Trammel, every old school long term hardcore pvper that was alive then and still plays MMO's hails from UO and will look back at the days of the GM mage as the pinnacle of most of there pvp....  And Shadowbane was a masterpiece a game completely geared toward pvp but hype dragged its playerbase away to WoW and SWG.... 

DaoC ended up the refuge of the pvper as there wasnt much else to play, besides Mortal Online and Darkfall who I give them credit for trying both had some great concepts both were plagued with bugs...

And Wurm is just the unknown Gem, how a game the quality of wurm has gone by with so little public knowledge of its existence is just a shame!

If you say so. UO may have been first but Everquest is what made MMOs big as EQ1 broke all the records for online gaming in its time. I know I was online when they broke 500'000 online playing at the same time record. See we can do this all day lol. UO may have had PvP but DAoC gave in meaning and drive. Wana keep going? 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Livnthedream

Originally posted by immodium

Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Where is the almighty lore push for perma death that every TES game that has come before has had?
    When the lore push to include the option to save your progress at any given time, like previous TES games.
    Oh I see, mechanics that eliminate things you do not like due to impracticality are ok, but mechanics that enforce things you don't are not. I absolutely love how "lore friendly" gets used as just another term for "something I do not like". The absurdity of the fanatics will never cease.
    Are you serious? TES games previously were Single Player RPGs. TES:O is an MMORPG. Previous TES titles allowed for a player to save (not to be confused with logging out), because they could die. I cannot think of one MMO that allows a player to save their game at any point in time and thus load a previously saved game. Do you?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR