Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Latest State of the Game Letter Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Wars: The Old Republic's Jeff Hickman has posted the latest State of the Game letter on the official site. In it, Hickman takes a look back at the free-to-play launch and what it's meant to the game thus far. In addition, he drops a few hints at coming things.

We know that there are still a lot of things we need to do to make playing Star Wars: The Old Republic the best experience it can be. We hear you on features such as hood toggle (as one example of many), Asia Pacific server populations (we are actively looking into solutions that make the most sense given our current tech and should have an announcement soon), continued improvement to the Cartel Market pricing and content, and the need to keep working on performance improvements and bugs. In fact, our major focus after Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches is going to be on "quality of life" improvements. We will keep at it, I promise. We’ll keep listening to your feedback and continue to dedicate ourselves to making the game the best it can be. Nothing is more important to us than getting it right. 

Read it all on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Get ready for 1 million cathar running around everywhere. ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    OMG......every single update so far has been centered around that damn cash shop.  I've yet to see a significant update that wasn't at least 90% about the cash shop.  What's even more insulting is that they still haven't addressed the majority of the "Core" game issues he alluded to in the address.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    OMG......every single update so far has been centered around that damn cash shop.  I've yet to see a significant update that wasn't at least 90% about the cash shop.

I mean, I know you have to buy it and all, but Rise of the Hutt Cartel isn't about the cash shop... but I suppose that isn't out yet huh... also they add in the group finder. I'm too lazy to do the research, but I'm pretty sure your statement is incorrect. whoo! :'|

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by tussauc
    OMG......every single update so far has been centered around that damn cash shop.  I've yet to see a significant update that wasn't at least 90% about the cash shop.

I mean, I know you have to buy it and all, but Rise of the Hutt Cartel isn't about the cash shop... but I suppose that isn't out yet huh... also they add in the group finder. I'm too lazy to do the research, but I'm pretty sure your statement is incorrect. whoo! :'|

Oh my, that is a big update, isn't it.  Group finder isn't my idea of a large game update, nor does it fix a lot of the real gameplay issues that have been around since its release.  I also find it interesting that you have to pay for an expansion in a F2P game.  I see that in Freemium games, but not in F2P games.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

My favorite part of this is where he says that there is dissent on most aspects of MMOs. He is excusing the core problems in the game by saying that there's no way to know what is good and bad because people are too adversarial. The feedback on the game is based on the game. If you include the number of people who originally unsubbed, and the still growing number of players who have wakened enough to demand a better game, you have a pretty good idea of what is wrong. The few sport trolls are not a smoke grenade big enough to hide the terrible design of the game.

And yes, I see the irony of me pointing this out.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Oh my, that is a big update, isn't it.  Group finder isn't my idea of a large game update, nor does it fix a lot of the real gameplay issues that have been around since its release.  I also find it interesting that you have to pay for an expansion in a F2P game.  I see that in Freemium games, but not in F2P games.

SWTOR isn't really F2P(seriously, have you seen the restricions on F2P? It's a trial really), it was just a reason for them to put a cash shop in(something I could care less about), it also lowered the cost of entry to just fifteen bucks. I honestly don't mind paying the $20 for the new expansion, also I think they did release some content updates.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.1.0/rise-rakghouls

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.2.0/legacy

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.3.0/allies

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.4.0/terror-beyond

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.5.0/hk-51-activated  <--(F2P patch)

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.6.0/ancient-hypergate

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.7.0/return-gree

• BelnorBelnor Member UncommonPosts: 7

Since launch of the Free-to-Play option we have had over 2 million new accounts

So..    not too much..

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Well I just read makes me happy I have the game. It's updated once a month and never part that. I don't play I don't like how free people are nerfed compared to sub players. That's not good ill say it again you can get your 2million but you'll get 200k cash shop transactions maybe. The game needs updates for f2p to draw people in and then use the shop not other way around. Oh well maybe in like 9 months when it's closing or something they will get he picture I hope.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    OMG......every single update so far has been centered around that damn cash shop.  I've yet to see a significant update that wasn't at least 90% about the cash shop.  What's even more insulting is that they still haven't addressed the majority of the "Core" game issues he alluded to in the address.

The Cartel Market is 90% about Cosmetic stuff and 10% about unlocks for the F2P players and Xp boosters, but certainly you´re not playing the game. 

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    If, like me, all you want from the game is being able to play it like a B2P single player RPG with occasional warzones, then SWTOR's F2P option works decently although it certainly wouldn't hurt if it was a bit less restrictive.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

I would be more interested to know how many people are subbing to the game. Most F2P players won't touch the cash shop because they have simply accepted the game as a free single player RPG. The f2p option lets you do that just fine. The thing is if you want to say, play the MMO part of it, you pretty much have to sub. You would be an idiot to actually use the passes and such to access other content. Funny thing is, I bet they get more money from the cartel market from the people already subbing to the game then the people just dipping their toes in the shallow end of the pool.

Also, nice how Jeff changed his "update every 6 weeks" to 8 weeks. I wonder if the next state of the game it will become 10 weeks. Honestly though, even with the 6 week updates the updates were fairly small. Gw2 has bigger or close to the size of SWTOR  updates every month,and does not require a sub. Yes, you need a sub for the updates; don't kid yourself. The only exception is the "new ilum" which is almost as big of a joke as the previous one.

Not to mention that pretty much all the content they have been putting out was stuff being worked on before they fired half their staff. The Cathar were originally supposed to come out in 2012 but now it looks like it will be summer 2013. Don't be too shocked when Cathar come out and that is the only thing that comes out in the update with them as far as "content". I will be interested to see what kind of content they can produce after Makeb comes out. 

Forgot to mention the newest joke in the cartel market: Cartel market faction. Every time you buy cartel packs from the cartel market you get a new rep consumable that gives you cartel market faction. Yes, this is a faction that requires you to pay real money to grind. You can't get it otherwise. Pretty hilarious.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    i can get behind their FP,Ops and WZ restrictions for f2p, i completely understand the cash limit, chat restrictions and plenty other restrictions which are same as any other freemium games present in the market but i can not understand how on earth they even cooked up the idea of monetizing quick bar or titlelegacy name hideshow or head slot item showhide. some f2p games out there even give players 8 quick bars to play with, there are some f2p games where title gives stats and they allow  players to showhide title; of course they sell the best titles in cash shop but they never ask to pay to show title a player has earned., legacy is just another title; same words go for it and hide/show head slot,: as long as i can remember it had always been an standard UI option for any mmorpg but BW is asking money for it. i don't really get it, how did they even think it would be alright? and on top of that f2p and preferred can't accept some quest reward; mainly those rewards that gives lockboxes as reward(crew missions are exception). i understand that BW have to provide something extra to subscribed users but if these restrictions were not in place would it really belittle subscribed users? and i can't honestly see it being a good marketting strategy, since when inconvenience is the best way to market products? i am not going to cry that i pre ordered CE, paid 4 month sub and when f2p came i get the same treatment as a person who just spend 4.99$ in game, but this really is not a healthy marketting strategy. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    i can get behind their FP,Ops and WZ restrictions for f2p, i completely understand the cash limit, chat restrictions and plenty other restrictions which are same as any other freemium games present in the market but i can not understand how on earth they even cooked up the idea of monetizing quick bar or titlelegacy name hideshow or head slot item showhide. some f2p games out there even give players 8 quick bars to play with, there are some f2p games where title gives stats and they allow  players to showhide title; of course they sell the best titles in cash shop but they never ask to pay to show title a player has earned., legacy is just another title; same words go for it and hide/show head slot,: as long as i can remember it had always been an standard UI option for any mmorpg but BW is asking money for it. i don't really get it, how did they even think it would be alright? and on top of that f2p and preferred can't accept some quest reward; mainly those rewards that gives lockboxes as reward(crew missions are exception). i understand that BW have to provide something extra to subscribed users but if these restrictions were not in place would it really belittle subscribed users? and i can't honestly see it being a good marketting strategy, since when inconvenience is the best way to market products? i am not going to cry that i pre ordered CE, paid 4 month sub and when f2p came i get the same treatment as a person who just spend 4.99$ in game, but this really is not a healthy marketting strategy. 

I can't get behind any of their F2P restrictions. There are games out there that prove you don't have to screw over your customers. Tera being the latest example. Tera doesn't restrict anything except the amount of auctions you can have up on a character. Not to mention that Tera you can play for free without paying up front as well. TSW is another example of this. EA/Bioware has no excuse honestly. I think Tera and TSW are both garbage, but I am sure there are just as many people who think SWTOR is as well. The fact is that these other games exist so SWTOR has no excuse. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Haven't spent a dime on cartel shop. I do dailies and get enough in game currency to buy packs from the GTN. But for those who just want everything quicker they have option to spend real life cash. it all depends upon what kind of gamer you are..impatient or patient.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    If you have any doubts as to the sad state of SWTOR right now, go look at their new 'Covert Energy Boots' on the Cartel Market BW added recently. They are "invisible" so your character appears to be barefoot. I repeat, they are charging RL money for "invisible" boots. Wow, just wow...
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by jesteralways

I can't get behind any of their F2P restrictions. There are games out there that prove you don't have to screw over your customers. Tera being the latest example. Tera doesn't restrict anything except the amount of auctions you can have up on a character. Not to mention that Tera you can play for free without paying up front as well. TSW is another example of this. EA/Bioware has no excuse honestly. I think Tera and TSW are both garbage, but I am sure there are just as many people who think SWTOR is as well. The fact is that these other games exist so SWTOR has no excuse. 

TERA hasnt proven anything yet.  We have no way of knowing if TERA's f2p will be a financial success in the long run or not.  SWTOR isnt in a position to risk a f2p model so good they lose subs over it, they cant afford it.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

And you're surprised?

EA milking every last $ out of the community while they still can. For me the crowning moment was the reputation you raise with using the cash shop....

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

It's really positive that over 2 mil new accounts have been created over 4 months , which ever way you look at it. I noticed some of the SWTOR hate is still here at MMORPG.com spreading missinformation again. It is a freemium game and you don't have to spend money upfront , the game is free to download and play and if you spend $4.99 you aren't restricted by much at all , 4 quick bars ( the same as subs had for 8 months ) and 6 character slots. As someone else stated you can buy all the unlocks and perks etc off the GTN for in-game credits.

Barber shop , that's ok I guess , I would have lked them to include a voice change , where you change the pitch of your voice slightly , no smurf voices. You can do this without loosing the length of a voiced word or statement , so as not to ruin the timing within the game for convos. 

Anyways seems healthier than it was 5 months ago.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63

I'll just leave this here

"Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman, November 2009:

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning has had a solid first year despite some issues that we're working to address every day. We've seen a great response to 1.3.2, which introduced tremendous performance improvements. A flood of new players are discovering the game every day thanks to the recently released Endless Trial and New User Journey. Moving forward we remain committed to releasing more great patches, continued performance improvements, and changes based upon your valuable feedback!"

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Rayzer235

I'll just leave this here

"Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman, November 2009:

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning has had a solid first year despite some issues that we're working to address every day. We've seen a great response to 1.3.2, which introduced tremendous performance improvements. A flood of new players are discovering the game every day thanks to the recently released Endless Trial and New User Journey. Moving forward we remain committed to releasing more great patches, continued performance improvements, and changes based upon your valuable feedback!"

A flood isn't 2 mil + or thousands every day or is it ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    If you have any doubts as to the sad state of SWTOR right now, go look at their new 'Covert Energy Boots' on the Cartel Market BW added recently. They are "invisible" so your character appears to be barefoot. I repeat, they are charging RL money for "invisible" boots. Wow, just wow...

This right here is comedy gold. Perhaps they're like the emperor's new clothes, and you need to be deemed a worthy person to see them?

I suppose it doesn't matter though. SWTOR is more cash shop now than game, twisted and greedy.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Originally posted by BadOrb

It's really positive that over 2 mil new accounts have been created over 4 months , which ever way you look at it. I noticed some of the SWTOR hate is still here at MMORPG.com spreading missinformation again. It is a freemium game and you don't have to spend money upfront , the game is free to download and play and if you spend $4.99 you aren't restricted by much at all , 4 quick bars ( the same as subs had for 8 months ) and 6 character slots. As someone else stated you can buy all the unlocks and perks etc off the GTN for in-game credits.

Barber shop , that's ok I guess , I would have lked them to include a voice change , where you change the pitch of your voice slightly , no smurf voices. You can do this without loosing the length of a voiced word or statement , so as not to ruin the timing within the game for convos. 

Cheers,

BadOrb.

AGREED! There are a lot of peeps running around at every hour of the day and PUGs for Heroics and Flashpoints seem pretty easy to find without a Group Finder IMHO. I've been having Empire side fun.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by DalekThay
    Originally posted by Czanrei

This right here is comedy gold. Perhaps they're like the emperor's new clothes, and you need to be deemed a worthy person to see them?

I suppose it doesn't matter though. SWTOR is more cash shop now than game, twisted and greedy.

Don't forget that you can get a toothpick now to have hanging from your lip while you go barefoot. I guess Jigglebilly was a character from Star Wars and I didn't know it!

"C'mon everybody, commence to jigglin"

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Cheers,

BadOrb.

The hate towards swtor will never stop, is not a game for everyone but is a good MMO and they have really a lot of people playing it. 5 months after the F2P model, and they have all the servers at primetime veryheavy or full, and the expansion will bring a lot of people back. The problem is the people who was talking about the death of swtor, never happened and it wont happen anytime soon, some people just cant live with that. 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Get ready for 1 million cathar running around everywhere. ;)

Can't speak for everyone man, I don't care for cathar.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games