Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watched Youtube vids, no sandbox, just fetch quests 90% of the time?

JeroamJeroam Member Posts: 4
am i missing something, or is that mostly it? i cant be bothered being interested, if theres no sandbox elements, and just boring fetch quests.  mybe the occasional pvp, but doesnt actually have any real meaninful rewards for it.

Comments

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90

I haven't been in the beta but from the forums, it appears you were not supposed to record or talk about any elements within the beta so the game remains kind of a blurry picture.

On top of that, I think the finished product will surely be even more polished. Why not try it out on the beta (starting Friday Mar 22) and get an opinion from that?

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Yeah they better remove the 18 video's u can see in the other "Video's" tab to..

Zzz...

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    was it even penned as Sandbox?? i know the Repopulation is but i dont think Defiance is as it is hand in hand with the upcoming tv series, Sandbox would not progress quckly enough to keep up with the tv series.
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

I don't think it was ever advertised as sandbox. It's open world third person shooter MMO with story line, events (Ark falls) that are similar to rifts from Rift, consensual objective based PvP, battleground PvP, group instances and normal quests. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Jeroam
    am i missing something, or is that mostly it? i cant be bothered being interested, if theres no sandbox elements, and just boring fetch quests.  mybe the occasional pvp, but doesnt actually have any real meaninful rewards for it.

The game Defiance most reminded me of is Far Cry 3 , and Tabula Rasa

Did you play them ?

What you have is really huge map , and things are going on.

• You can pick quests and do them ,
    • You can just drive around and random quests will pop up (including all kinds of defence , driving , collect , rescue )
    • You can help NPCs fighting in a zone and get rewarded
    • And every now and then invasion will happen ending with huge monster - Not unlike Rift or GW2
    The skills are all on open tree - so you can pick whatever and make your own class.
    And weapons are much like Borderlands.

So basically its not Sandbox if you are looking for that - but not WOW like Themepark either.

Its very modern GW2 like desgn. And Gameplay is action based.

There you go...

• oreal52oreal52 Member UncommonPosts: 79

The game still plays good ,the pvp isn't the best in my opinnion but the pve stuff is cool , you can feel the action.

I'm telling you people give it a try. image

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

The game Defiance most reminded me of is Far Cry 3 , and Tabula Rasa

Did you play them ?

What you have is really huge map , and things are going on.

• You can pick quests and do them ,
    • You can just drive around and random quests will pop up (including all kinds of defence , driving , collect , rescue )
    • You can help NPCs fighting in a zone and get rewarded
    • And every now and then invasion will happen ending with huge monster - Not unlike Rift or GW2
    The skills are all on open tree - so you can pick whatever and make your own class.
    And weapons are much like Borderlands.

So basically its not Sandbox if you are looking for that - but not WOW like Themepark either.

Its very modern GW2 like desgn. And Gameplay is action based.

There you go...

It looks like there's enough "GW2" in this one that I went ahead and purchased it today. It seems to be a perfect change of pace to compliment GW2 (which I'm still a huge fan of). Looking forwards to the Beta!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Jesus..what is with people complaining about every new MMO for not being sandbox? did Trion ever said anything about Defiance having sandbox elements? or it is just a new cool thing to do now? to complain about every new MMO for not being sandboxy enough even though devs never claimed it to be in first place?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• D3Perfecto93D3Perfecto93 Member Posts: 14

If you're abit fuzzy about questing then why bother signing up for the beta?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Jesus..what is with people complaining about every new MMO for not being sandbox? did Trion ever said anything about Defiance having sandbox elements? or it is just a new cool thing to do now? to complain about every new MMO for not being sandboxy enough even though devs never claimed it to be in first place?

These forums used to be a decent mix of mmo gamers but they've tipped really really heavily toward the MMO hipster the past two years.

"Not a sandbox? Fail."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

/facepalm.

OP, you do realize this isn't even a MMORPG, right?  It's a persistent shooter.

That being said.. sure it's sandbox... i guess.  I mean, you don't have to log in and follow a set quest path to progress afaik.  You log in and go do whatever you want wherever you want.  Just, mainly "the whatever" is limited to shooting stuff.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Why are you wasting precious interweb space with your QQ concerns? If you have concerns, do not pre-order it. Go to the front page of this site and click on the "GET A DEFIANCE BETA KEY HERE" link and play it this weekend....

I

Not so nice guy!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by D3Perfecto93

If you're abit fuzzy about questing then why bother signing up for the beta?

So he can decide whether he wants to play the finished game and if his concerns are valid?  Gee!  You'd think people sign up for betas because of the free launch loot.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

These forums used to be a decent mix of mmo gamers but they've tipped really really heavily toward the MMO hipster the past two years.

"Not a sandbox? Fail."

Bollocks. The reason people want sandbox is because they've been playing the same themepark clone for over 15 years.

People are sick of quest grind themeparks, and rightly so...

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

"Not a sandbox? Fail."

Bollocks. The reason people want sandbox is because they've been playing the same themepark clone for over 15 years.

People are sick of quest grind themeparks, and rightly so...

So complaining on forums of every new themepark helps your cause?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Yeah its a themepark, with guns.  This was never a secret, the game never pretended to be a sandbox.  Also the community never erroneously claimed it to be a sandbox (or decitefully) as they are doing with arch age.

Its a tough sell for a sandbox, all these indy companies with half baked games  really wreck it imo.  Who wants to put big money on a sandbox when most are failing, though failing due to being incomplete pieces of junk...still

i feel you bro...world needs more sandboxes.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by charlizd
    was it even penned as Sandbox?? i know the Repopulation is but i dont think Defiance is as it is hand in hand with the upcoming tv series, Sandbox would not progress quckly enough to keep up with the tv series.

Yeah I do not remember them promoting it as a sandbox. Maybe the OP can post a link to where they did.

Even though I would love a new sandbox with the elements I enjoy does not look like that will be coming out anytime soon.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    NDA is heavy on this game. Its being lifted on March 22nd. so expect the flood gates of info on this game to open tomorrow.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I been playing the PS3 beta which started on the 19th and I have never had so much fun and addicted to an mmo like this before. Its almost exactly like a Borderlands mmo because the missions are a lot like borderlands and the weapons are kind of random like borderlands, there are even timed special sales in vendors for weapons just like in borderlands.  There are no mission where you have to kill x number of whatever.  There are missions like where you have to install bombs or diffuse them.  Protect NPCs from waves of mobs while the npc hacks computers n such. The combat is so damn fun.  I guess I realy like it because its fun like borderlands so if you like borderlands you will love this.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by charlizd

Yeah I do not remember them promoting it as a sandbox. Maybe the OP can post a link to where they did.

Even though I would love a new sandbox with the elements I enjoy does not look like that will be coming out anytime soon.

They haven't promoted it as ThemePark either have they? So I guess it was kind of an open question.

However, coming from Trion, would indicate that it would be a ThemePark since Rift is as ThemePark as you can get.

Its pretty sandboxy to me since I havent zoned anywhere but one intance for a mission in the main quest line. I get to drive anywhere I want so far within the map I have been playing in. 
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Ezhae

I don't think it was ever advertised as sandbox. It's open world third person shooter MMO with story line, events (Ark falls) that are similar to rifts from Rift, consensual objective based PvP, battleground PvP, group instances and normal quests. 

They never said it was a sand box , this person is correct, and if you say DEFIANCE is bad, you will lose out, great game so far, Trion knows there stuff.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Its pretty sandboxy to me since I havent zoned anywhere but one intance for a mission in the main quest line. I get to drive anywhere I want so far within the map I have been playing in. 

I take it that WoW is a sandbox game now according to you, yes?

Jesus fucking lord people.

Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by tkreep

I take it that WoW is a sandbox game now according to you, yes?

Jesus fucking lord people.

So is Grand theft auto and to a lot of gamer friends I have also

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by arieste

/facepalm.

OP, you do realize this isn't even a MMORPG, right?  It's a persistent shooter.

That being said.. sure it's sandbox... i guess.  I mean, you don't have to log in and follow a set quest path to progress afaik.  You log in and go do whatever you want wherever you want.  Just, mainly "the whatever" is limited to shooting stuff.

There is no persistance in this shooter other than the persistance of the mobs to spawn from random doors/trucks over and over and over... and over. It's almost funny and i can't wait for the first benny hill remixes of those videos i seen online.

It looks really boring if you ask me.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"