Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy of Romulus

WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
The Romulan faction is almost upon us.  The English site isn't up yet (still a few hours to go I guess), but checkout the screenshot gallery on the German page.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Oh wow, it's actually happening. Nice. Let's just hope it won't be a repeat of KDF at launch.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    5-6 hours, and we will know the details :)
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It's up in English.

Nice, all three factions playable from 1-50.  I've always been a huge fan of the Romulans, can't wait to get in those ships.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

This sounds like a great addition to the game so far.  I'm glad to see the Klingons getting some love here and that you'll be able to start any faction from level 1. 

I'm looking forward to trying this out.  Too bad it includes yet another craptacular rep grind, but the rest looks very interesting.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Nice but it seems to be an all-out PvE affair which is pretty sad. Some good three faction PvP would make this game so much better than the boring PvE-fest it is now with some bare minimum, instanced PvP combat.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It is being regarded as an expansion, as stated in an email. No mention of any pricing (yet)

Lots of stuff coming, with this and Seasons 8 and 9, and already got Season 7. For a game that is pretty much free, it is getting a lot of stuff. Cryptic/Perfect World are certainly impressive compared to EA. SWTOR people are paying through the nose to play that game, and getting virtually nothing

Originally posted by superniceguy

It is being regarded as an expansion, as stated in an email. No mention of any pricing (yet)

Lots of stuff coming, with this and Seasons 8 and 9, and already got Season 7. For a game that is pretty much free, it is getting a lot of stuff. Cryptic/Perfect World are certainly impressive compared to EA. SWTOR people are paying through the nose to play that game, and getting virtually nothing

According to the Community Manager, the expansion is free, just like the previous Seasons.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8703331&postcount=22

Agree, though, they give most of the game away without having to pay anything.  Very good value.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

did they make a functional replicator?

this is a big surprise,,cant wait to make a romulan captain

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

I have always been a big fan of the Romulans, though I really didn't like their continued portrayal as the continual jerks that stabbed everyone in the back, even their own allies.  I harken back to Diane Duane's Rihannsu series - a strange, yet honorable people, whose place in the Star Trek universe was more or less dictated to them.

Reading the teaser site has made me thoroughly excited for ST:O once more - truthfully I've been waiting for the introduction of the Romulans as a playable faction ever since the game came out.  Considering the high amount of interest, Cryptic would be very foolish to deliver a gimped faction at launch...like the Klingons were, and in many ways continue to be.

I am also really hopeful that the KDF will at last be given the content that the players have been clamoring for since launch.  It sounds promising - they're releasing the brakes and are now offering the Klingons a full levelling experience (1-50) without having to first level a Fed toon. 

All in all, this looks very promising.  Very promising indeed.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Nice but it seems to be an all-out PvE affair which is pretty sad. Some good three faction PvP would make this game so much better than the boring PvE-fest it is now with some bare minimum, instanced PvP combat.

That would be pretty cool. To have the Federation, Klingons and Romulan fighting for sectors of space. Now THAT would be something worth coming back for. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Definitely a win all around and would be a slam dunk if they have them fighting for something of value.

Ktanner that quote is priceless lol:

"The haters have an unlimited development budget. The actual developers of MMOs do not. It's not a fair fight. So don't try to fight it. You can't win."

Originally posted by buegur

Definitely a win all around and would be a slam dunk if they have them fighting for something of value.

Ktanner that quote is priceless lol:

"The haters have an unlimited development budget. The actual developers of MMOs do not. It's not a fair fight. So don't try to fight it. You can't win."

:)

I wish I could take credit for it but I can't. Someone on this site said it and I copied it for my sig. 

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    hope they not ruined Romulan Star Empire with alien species & ships,what they make with Klingon Empire,just was sick when log in my kling
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    hope they not ruined Romulan Star Empire with alien species & ships,what they make with Klingon Empire,just was sick when log in my kling

Far from me to jump into a canon dispute (especially since I mostly prefer TOS and the first few movies), but in the STO version of time the Klingon Empire took over the Gorn Hegemony and expanded further, that's why you can start those races within KDF. More precisely (from wiki):

Since the events of Star Trek Nemesis, the Klingon Empire has expanded its territory, notably its take over of the Gorn homeworld, but also various other species such as the Nausicaans and the Orion. Letheans offered assistance in the form of mercenary work for the Klingon Empire, and as such are available to them as a playable race in game although they are not a fully admitted member of the Klingon Empire.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I am disappointed it is not romulan faction ,they add playable romulan & reman to Feds & Klings,

It is not Romulan Star Empire it is REMAN Republic(yes! REMANS , no romulan),cryptic & PW continue with ruining game & ST lore.

I hope romulan faction ll back my interesting in game,but after this ,uninstal !

I am disappointed it is not romulan faction ,they add playable romulan & reman to Feds & Klings,

It is not Romulan Star Empire it is REMAN Republic(yes! REMANS , no romulan),cryptic & PW continue with ruining game & ST lore.

I hope romulan faction ll back my interesting in game,but after this ,uninstal !

Uggh. No thanks. The less I am reminded of Nemesis the better. What a crap movie that was. 

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Uggh. No thanks. The less I am reminded of Nemesis the better. What a crap movie that was. 

This. And not only this but the at the end of nemsis Romulans took back control of the empire anyway. After the supernova I'd think Remans would be a much lower population then the romulans as well considering there sensitivity to light which is most likely why they are unlocked.

My first reaction to the announcement they would choose a side to ally with was wtf. However after giving some thought it is prolly better for the game this way (think wow pandas). If it helps the KDF (even if the idea of romulans and klingons fighting together is a huge stretch) I'm all for it.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by evicton

This. And not only this but the at the end of nemsis Romulans took back control of the empire anyway. After the supernova I'd think Remans would be a much lower population then the romulans as well considering there sensitivity to light which is most likely why they are unlocked.

My first reaction to the announcement they would choose a side to ally with was wtf. However after giving some thought it is prolly better for the game this way (think wow pandas). If it helps the KDF (even if the idea of romulans and klingons fighting together is a huge stretch) I'm all for it.

firstly, hell ya, i can finally get a dederidex.

secondly, what doesnt work about romulans allying with others to cause havok.  star trek TNG fed and klingon troubles were entirely romulan forumulated, warfs father was falsely accused of being the romulan conspirator when in truth an entire house was allied with the romulans for generations.  and lore wise, romulans and klingons shared a few ship designs with each other along with cloaking technology to make each others cloaks better before TNG in kirks era to make sure the federation wouldnt pose a danger too either empire.

so i can live with romulans picking which side of the fed klingon war individually, after the all but fatal wounding of the romulan empire they have no centralized command that can enforce anything really, and the star empire has to make sure that which ever side wins the fed/kdf war doesnt come for them next, so its best to appear nuetral with only captains taking sides (which tal shiar wise is probably more to effect the outcome to benefit the romulans than anything else)

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Surprisingly, the thing I take the most issue with is the long hair on a Romulan. At least, the picture on the STO website shows long hair on a rommy. I suppose it is a silly gripe, but seeing it is a little jarring to me. Oh well, I can adapt to it I suppose.

They've put up a dev blog that explains a bit about the Romulans in the expansion:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=856971

So there is no third faction. You level a Romulan and then have to choose between federation or Klingon. That's just weak.  If they knew anything about the lore of the IP they would know that Klingons and Romulans have been blood enemies for generations. Just because the Romulans lost their homeworld doesn't mean they would become subjugants. This was an EMPIRE, not an isolated planet of aliens. Just a bad move pure and simple. 

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    So there is no third faction. You level a Romulan and then have to choose between federation or Klingon. That's just weak.  If they knew anything about the lore of the IP they would know that Klingons and Romulans have been blood enemies for generations. Just because the Romulans lost their homeworld doesn't mean they would become subjugants. This was an EMPIRE, not an isolated planet of aliens. Just a bad move pure and simple. 

I agree.  This is pretty lame.  I had hope, but it's dwindling as I read the Dev blogs.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I dont think they have said that. I hope not, but we just have to wait and see. 

More details on the Romulans:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=854201

Originally posted by Rohn

More details on the Romulans:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=854201

Nice details. Seems we need to start two romulans to see both sides of the deal, one with Starfleet and the other with KDF (but there's a romulan and a reman option anyways, so 2 captains seems obvious).

"These episodes provide the backstory of how the Romulan Republic approached the other factions and negotiated the founding of New Romulus. It shows a different side of the conflict leading up and through the Romulan Feature Episode series"

I'm curious what will be the differences :)

Same goes to the new DOff assigments and decks, I guess in the beginning DOFFJOBS will be filled with questions and advices... May 27th is less than two months now, I hope no other events will interfere with it. (LotRO and its over-delayed Spring festival for example ;) )