Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Foundry Access Again

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

It looks like once again the weekend beta people will have access to PLAY, but not to construct or test Foundry features in any other way.

As I have stated several times on this forum and the official forums, this is kinda make or break for me. It has single handedly kept me away from the Guardian preorder pack and obviously I am disappointed. 

Now I have to wonder what the purpose is of holding this stuff back? Is it half baked and not finished? Will it make it for release? If it does make it for release we can we expect from it?

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    In recent MMOFTW espisode the devs said they are having a seperate beta only for foundry so that players can focus only on foundry and not get distracted. And this beta will be longer too.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    In recent MMOFTW espisode the devs said they are having a seperate beta only for foundry so that players can focus only on foundry and not get distracted. And this beta will be longer too.

Yeah it is going on right now and it is under NDA lock and key. That doesn't make me feel any better about it. They are being tight lipped and there has to be a reason. It seems like everytime someone shows me a cool video fo the foundry its like from spring/summer of 2012. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Yeah it is going on right now and it is under NDA lock and key. That doesn't make me feel any better about it. They are being tight lipped and there has to be a reason. It seems like everytime someone shows me a cool video fo the foundry its like from spring/summer of 2012. 

Oh calm down, you can play the Foundry quests people have made in the beta. So you can SEE what people can do with it. And yes it is going be at launch, and its more sophisticated than the one currently in Star Trek Online so go download STO and try that one then imagine it better.

Devs are allowed to keep whatever they want under NDA, it just means they aren't ready to give out all the details yet.

We don't even have a launch date for the game yet, for all we know it won't come out until August at this point.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Oh calm down, you can play the Foundry quests people have made in the beta. So you can SEE what people can do with it. And yes it is going be at launch, and its more sophisticated than the one currently in Star Trek Online so go download STO and try that one then imagine it better.

Devs are allowed to keep whatever they want under NDA, it just means they aren't ready to give out all the details yet.

We don't even have a launch date for the game yet, for all we know it won't come out until August at this point.

Not really interested in trying out what should be the dated version of the Foundry. Also not interested in the stripped down STO. Thanks though.

AND I WILL NOT CALM DOWN. :)

It is my belief that the entire game rides on the Foundry. Without this what does it really have going for it? There is literally nothing else that we can't find in existing games. 

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Yea foundry is the only reason Im still giving it a chance this beta. If it fails I wont play it even if you give me money. Other games can do better than what NW does, except for lore/foundry. It all depends on the foundry.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    more widespread alpha testing for foundry has been going heavy last couple weeks.. still needs some fixes and tweaks. but think most people will be very pleased with it overall

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    How can people play user created content if the ability to create said user created content isnt yet avalible?  Wouldnt it be developer created content?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It looks like once again the weekend beta people will have access to PLAY, but not to construct or test Foundry features in any other way.

As I have stated several times on this forum and the official forums, this is kinda make or break for me. It has single handedly kept me away from the Guardian preorder pack and obviously I am disappointed. 

Now I have to wonder what the purpose is of holding this stuff back? Is it half baked and not finished? Will it make it for release? If it does make it for release we can we expect from it?

Exploitation would be the best reason.  Look at what happened to city of heroes.  I wouldn't be surprised if for "some reason" the foundry gets delayed at release then added later.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    How can people play user created content if the ability to create said user created content isnt yet avalible?  Wouldnt it be developer created content?

the user created content is from alpha testers.. they have some available for players to try out in the beta weekends but in alpha it's always available to us

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Clearly it isn't ready yet. I would rather have them work on it and get it right then rush it out of the door.