Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub or B2P?

13»

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

you know, someone needs to come up with a new sub model.

History lessons of MMORPGS show that games once started as pay by the HOUR.  I believe Shadows of Yserbius was something like $3 an hour, which would be ridiculous now, but back then we also used to run from store to store getting aol.com hours.

A Subscription model following something like this would be great

$4.99- 50 hrs monthly (12 hrs a week approx) intended for the casual, fulltime student/worker/family person

$9.99- 120 hrs monthly (30 hrs a week approx) for some with a little more time on their hands, you get more then double the previous scale

14.99- Unlimited hours.

seems like this would be a pretty popular idea imo.  Every subscriber is automatically charged 4.99 a month, and when you hit 48 hrs it notifies you you're monthly time is about to run out, click yes to automatically goto the next level, hit 120 hrs bam same thing

Its a win for gaming companies, cause I would keep a 4.99 sub to 3 different games if this was an option and I wouldnt feel like I have to log in

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    sub. i wont say why cause im dont want to argue over this anymore.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Hopefully it will be B2P.  I'm fed up with sub based games.  The majority charge you the sub fee + cashshop + expansions and if your lucky the devs may throw you a bone by releasing a new dungeon/raid every now and again whilst waiting for the next pay for expansion. It seems a lot of money invested for little in return.

I prefer B2P for a good quality game, but instead of limiting bank space etc, release DLC (long after release, not same day) I can purchase with a rating system so user's can rate the content the devs put out. Make the content varied, not just raids and I will be happy to support the devs with my money.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    sub. i wont say why cause im dont want to argue over this anymore.

I agree, sorta but  I would like to see it free to play.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

B2P may attract more TES fans who aren't used to playing MMOs. Normally, I'd predict a sub-based model, but after TOR, GW2 and TSW, even producers may be leaning towards B2P.

F2P is highly unlikely. They've got enough fans to get a lot of money from box sales and they know it.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I really doubt 15 bucks a month is an issue if game turns out to be horrible.  Isn't it?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    I hope it's b2p like gw 2 but with more things to buy at the cash shop and of course not pay to win