Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera is now at 1.4 million users.

2»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/20/tera-mmo-has-more-subscribers-as-a-free-to-play-game-than-when-it-required-a-subscription/

The free-to-play model has driven Tera’s revenues up three-fold compared to its subscription era, but the game also saw an increase in subscribers.

sounds better than aoc did

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/11/age-of-conan-sees-300-000-sign-up-after-free-to-play-switch-dou/

a spike in users to the tune of 300,000 -- overall, revenues doubled over the last month

TERA had an increase in 500,000 users after it went ftp

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Nadia

related

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/20/tera-mmo-has-more-subscribers-as-a-free-to-play-game-than-when-it-required-a-subscription/

The free-to-play model has driven Tera’s revenues up three-fold compared to its subscription era, but the game also saw an increase in subscribers.

sounds better than aoc did

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/11/age-of-conan-sees-300-000-sign-up-after-free-to-play-switch-dou/

a spike in users to the tune of 300,000 -- overall, revenues doubled over the last month

TERA had an increase in 500,000 users after it went ftp

keep in mind AoC sold extremely well so there was less curioisty about the title.  Also AoC was old news in 2011, TERA is still new

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's popular enough to have dedicated trolls. That's always a good sign.
  • khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Does it count me as user as well? I created account, downloaded game, spent 5 minutes there, uninstalled.....

Yes image

All in all 1.4 million f2p accounts isnt really that great, especially when you consider that they'd be lucky if even 1/3rd of them are active, out of which an even smaller percentage are probably willing to spend money in a cash shop. Maybe they'll close the game soon image

guess u dont play the game. in europe there were 4 servers left before the game went f2p. now there are 12 servers. i have chars on 3 of them and they all have a lot of people in lowby and high lvl areas.

to me the combat system is the best i have played. its much more dynamic than gw2. just the endgame content is kinda boring. i love the 15vs15 and 3vs3 but i miss the big siege raids. but heared the next big patch will bring faction pvp with 3 alliances.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    As far as I can tell, all they are saying is that have registered 1.4 million accounts, which is very different than having that many active players (they didn't divulge that particular number).  

You make me like charity

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    Sweet, congrats En Masse Entertainment! Keep up the awesome work!
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    As far as I can tell, all they are saying is that have registered 1.4 million accounts, which is very different than having that many active players (they didn't divulge that particular number).  

Consider the difficulty of counting 'active players', in any way that's meaningful, with an F2P.

They typical gamer 'let's argue about which game is biggest' just doesn't work at all well in that kind of arena.

Not that it'll every stop anyone.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Consider the difficulty of counting 'active players', in any way that's meaningful, with an F2P.

They typical gamer 'let's argue about which game is biggest' just doesn't work at all well in that kind of arena.

ya beat me to the punch cause thats pretty much what i was going to say

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I'll help you all out here. :)

Now that we are in a post-subscription world, you want to look for the following metrics:

• Daily Active Users (or DAU) / Monthly Active Users (or MAU)
    • Peak Concurrent Users (PCU)

The first metric tells you, as you might imagine, how many people total are playing the game every day (or month). The second metric tells you how many users are logged in at once during a day.. For example, Riot Games recently reported that League of Legends is hitting 5 million PCU.

I'm glad to see TERA is doing better with the switchover, but I generally don't pay attention to the "registered users" metric. It's pretty much worthless. In TERA's case, it tells us the game has improved since going F2P, and that's about it.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    i totally agree with u. but the problem is that almost no company release those statistics unless they have those insane numbers like lol.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by stragen001

Yeah..... OK

I suspect thats 1.4million registered users meaning  that 1.4 million people have at some point registered a TERA account. 

What would be interesting to know is the amount of ACTIVE users (say accounts that have logged in in the past month)

This exactly.  I count as one of their registered accounts and I played it for a couple days then never again.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    What I would love to see for any game is the daily trending over a long period so I could see where the peak concurrency hits.  It would be interesting know what contributes to peak concurrency.

Probably prime time. :P

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by MikeB

Now that we are in a post-subscription world, you want to look for the following metrics:

The first metric tells you, as you might imagine, how many people total are playing the game every day (or month). The second metric tells you how many users are logged in at once during a day.. For example, Riot Games recently reported that League of Legends is hitting 5 million PCU.

I'm glad to see TERA is doing better with the switchover, but I generally don't pay attention to the "registered users" metric. It's pretty much worthless. In TERA's case, it tells us the game has improved since going F2P, and that's about it.

TY Mike for the clarification I was actually wondering about that myself.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

Standard F2P PR "we have X users!". Too bad that Y (number that actually matters as in number of peopl that actually play the game) is Y=0,01X.

Still rofl when i see advertisment of some obscure game and "50 million players".

And just for comparison, Rift had 1 million users before it released (just go and loo it up lol)

And to people mentioning AoC, it actually had a ton of problems when it released to the point where people couldnt play it at all, TERA didnt have almost any problems (been out in Koreas for almost a year already), its just bad game overall.

MAU is actually most important in these kind of world, and that was something i wanted to mention and how "to compare games in post sub world" in this aspect.

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60
     played since it was release quit short time after ... played again since it was F2P and quit again short time after ... if they count me in with the 1,4 mill players  then I dont believe the numbers...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I'll help you all out here. :)Now that we are in a post-subscription world, you want to look for the following metrics: Daily Active Users (or DAU) / Monthly Active Users (or MAU) Peak Concurrent Users (PCU)The first metric tells you, as you might imagine, how many people total are playing the game every day (or month). The second metric tells you how many users are logged in at once during a day.. For example, Riot Games recently reported that League of Legends is hitting 5 million PCU.I'm glad to see TERA is doing better with the switchover, but I generally don't pay attention to the "registered users" metric. It's pretty much worthless. In TERA's case, it tells us the game has improved since going F2P, and that's about it.

One other relevant figure would be average revenue per PCU/DAU/MAU. It is quite possible that EVE generates more income then a F2P title with much higher numbers. I just don't see that happening unless a company was publicly traded and investors started demanding it.

TERAs concurrency announcement would have been meaningful if they had actually provided it, instead of hiding it with marketing speak. I made the joke about it being 10K, but whatever it is they certainly aren't proud of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

these same standards apply to sub games too

a sub  indicates a monthly  paid account - not an active user

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Which is why it's silly for them to be spouting out a number like 1.4M at all.

Of course, it's not actually that difficult to figure out.  They just set a baseline for activity in game, like 10 hours a month or something, and add up all registered accounts that meet or exceed the activity.  As long as they explain the basic metric up front, then suddenly that number means a whole lot more.

You make me like charity

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Kyleran

One other relevant figure would be average revenue per PCU/DAU/MAU. It is quite possible that EVE generates more income then a F2P title with much higher numbers. I just don't see that happening unless a company was publicly traded and investors started demanding it. TERAs concurrency announcement would have been meaningful if they had actually provided it, instead of hiding it with marketing speak. I made the joke about it being 10K, but whatever it is they certainly aren't proud of it.

I can't remember where the article was but EME stated that peak concurrancy rose by 1000%, or 10x what it was under the subscription model, they also stated they have more subsribers as F2P than when it was mandatory(lol humans) and that their revenue has increased by 3x thanks to their #1 seller in the cash shop being experience/reputation boosters, something that wasn't available under P2P.

Honestly though, as far as concurrancy is concerned, your joke 10k figure might not be that far off, on weekend at prime time if I was to take a guess I would guess concurrancy in NA might be 20k. EU would probably be something like 35k though.

Here is the map on weekend nexus:

Each red circle with a lock indicates that nexus node is at maximum capacity, 120/120 players, so 1200+ players at nexus on weekend prime time, probably closer to about 1300, i'd say thats half the online 60 playerbase that is at nexus at that time, so maybe 2500 60s are online on nexus weekend prime time, i'd throw in maybe 1000-1500 people are leveling through 1-59 and you've got 3500-4000 people online on the games most popular server.

So 15-20k seems like the concurrancy NA probably hits. EUs would be double since they have 2x the servers with similar populations, hence 30-35k.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Isturi

En Masse has no problems braging bout how Tera is now at 1.4 million users. Cant say Subs since that would be P2P and we all know this is a F2P game.

Now if you think about it games that still use subs are more accurate with player numbers. Just saying. I have to admit Terra is a good MMO hope this fifteen mins of fame last a little while longer so the DEVS will continuing to support its players.

Sorry, that link is broke for me...

Is it stated 1.4kk users or accounts created?

There is a huge difference in the terms

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Vesavius

En Masse has no problems braging bout how Tera is now at 1.4 million users. Cant say Subs since that would be P2P and we all know this is a F2P game.

Now if you think about it games that still use subs are more accurate with player numbers. Just saying. I have to admit Terra is a good MMO hope this fifteen mins of fame last a little while longer so the DEVS will continuing to support its players.

I just tried the link and its seems fine. But it states:

"Tera crosses 1.4 million users after free-to-play switch"

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

it states: "Tera crosses 1.4 million users after free-to-play switch"

I guess it's the wild west out here in in internet land when it comes to terminology and definitions a lot of the time though whichever. 

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

it states: "Tera crosses 1.4 million users after free-to-play switch"

I guess it's the wild west out here in in internet land when it comes to terminology and definitions a lot of the time though whichever. 

Its just PR guys "using terms to most advantage", translation, bending and saying half-truths. Nothing new ;P