Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAOC style kill spam - do you want it in CU?

evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

One of the fun things in DAOC (for those who didn't play) was the kill spam messages. When you killed someone a zone wide message would go into global chat/system saying "Name killed Name in Name of the Zone"  This was cool not only for the ego, but it also let people know who was out there and where.

Additionally I feel that kill spam helped build realm pride, and a sense of community, as well as helped create rivalries for players and realms. Sitting at a keep, waiting for your group to port, you'd see kill spam for your realm, and feel proud (well, maybe proud isn't the right word, but you get the idea) and you also learned the names of the players, on both sides, that were killing everyone. How cool was it as a noob to see a ton of kill spam from someone, and then see that character later on at the keep? You'd /wave and /bow to them just as recognition of their contribution to the realm.

So, what do you think? Should CU have kill spam like daoc did? I Sure hope they do, while a subtle point, it made the game more fun and helped facilitate fights.

Comments

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

I'm pretty sure its gonna be in CU, anyways i so damn hope so :)

plus they should and probably keep the something like "Oswald_the_celt says something in a language that you cannot understand".

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Set_in_InkSet_in_Ink Member Posts: 48
    Throw up a poll.  I for one say yes, but it needs to be in its own window so it doesn't conflict with combat logs.  Maybe something like in TF2.

'I think that there are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which therefore, to some extent, justify private revenge.' -Sherlock Holmes

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    I agree, that I did like death spam messages including the different colors for each realm.  It also does wonders in knowing that a massive battle was just broken out or one about to happen!  Think of it as kind of like a canary in a coal mine. :-)

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

I'm pretty sure its gonna be in CU, anyways i so damn hope so :)

plus they should and probably keep the something like "Oswald_the_celt says something in a language that you cannot understand".

Tha gu dearbh! Tha mi an dochas, cuideachd!

Yes, indeed! I hope so too! (for the non Scot Gaelics)

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

I loved the kill spam and absolutely want it in Camelot Unchained.  I'm pretty sure Mark has already mentioned implementing it in a FP, podcast, or interview.. but if not, I'll be disappointed.

Dia Dhuit Arbroath!

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

I loved the kill spam and absolutely want it in Camelot Unchained.  I'm pretty sure Mark has already mentioned implementing it in a FP, podcast, or interview.. but if not, I'll be disappointed.

Dia Dhuit Arbroath!

Dia Dhuit Plastic. Ciamer a tha thu? (Conas ata tu) My Irish is lowsy

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I think it goes without saying that kill spam is a feature that would be largely wanted by those whom had experienced it.  Adds to the community.
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Foggye
    I think it goes without saying that kill spam is a feature that would be largely wanted by those whom had experienced it.  Adds to the community.

And you know, I forgot another use for it... Realm Pride! :-)

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Yes.  Very important.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Yes all day, every day.
  • infuzorinfuzor Member Posts: 17

Yes for sure. 

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126
    Yep.
  • MidHealerMidHealer Member Posts: 15

Absolutely.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just a simple:

Name1 has been killed by Name2  in Zonename!

...would suffice. Maybe colour the names in Realm colour as well.

Maybe add a Guild Name too?

Oswald [Treehuggers] was just killed by Birger [Fenris] in Emain Macha!

Would help Guildpride as well as Realmpride, imo.

Birger, Galahad, Healer
    Midgard forever

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    It was one of DAoC's best features so it would be foolish not to include it.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Good idea, MidHealer!

Also since you were most likely a Pac healer, I hate you. I mean that in the most loving way, by the way. :)

I am just of the opinion that pac healers were the BEST class in the game aside from maybe Sorcerers, and since I played Hib I was a lil disgruntled. Ha. ;)

Also, I never played an Animist. So cheap.
  • MidHealerMidHealer Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Good idea, MidHealer!

Also since you were most likely a Pac healer, I hate you. I mean that in the most loving way, by the way. :)

I am just of the opinion that pac healers were the BEST class in the game aside from maybe Sorcerers, and since I played Hib I was a lil disgruntled. Ha. ;)

Also, I never played an Animist. So cheap.

Yes, I was a Pac Healer, with Pac/Mend spec and some Aug :) That was my first choice for a class, before I even really knew what CC is, heh.

Ah, Sorcs, my old enemy...

While Healers are/were awesome, I always thought Sorcs to be the No1 group RvR class (damage and CC and few other tools as well, ouch). I also tended to hate Bards and Minstrels with passion, what with their seemeingly bottomless bag of tricks.

Great times :)

Birger, Galahad, Healer
    Midgard forever

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    This game wouldn't be any good without death spam. I loved so much this feature :) Maybe it's because on about 20 spams 50% were mine when we was in emain ^^ 
  • CU_now_pleaseCU_now_please Member Posts: 47

I am a fan, but limit it to the names, area, and a colour to show which realm did the killing.

In war is showed the move that got a the final blow and i think that was too far/uneccessary

/anon

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

Maybe add a Guild Name too?

Oswald [Treehuggers] was just killed by Birger [Fenris] in Emain Macha!

Would help Guildpride as well as Realmpride, imo.

I think it is enough with player names to keep the messages short. If a Herald is implemented, people will quickly figure out who that name that keeps popping up belongs to.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Yes of course.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Hell yes. It's a must have imo.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I assumed they would have included it in one of the foundational priniciples already, so yes.image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31

Kill spam is a must have, and it should pop up in the top center of the screen in flashy text so it grabs your attention (make it toggle-able to move it to a global event chat frame if it becomes an annoyance).

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Kill spam is what seperates the men from the boys.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174
    Absolutely, yes.