Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game rocks now more than ever

2»

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by gr0und3d

I have been constantly surprised by TERA.  There have been quite a few times that I entered a zone and just looked around.  Totally forgot what I was doing and just looked at the environment.  Or how the models of the mobs actually matter to their attack patterns.  On noob islnad, there are short little mobs with a weird horn thing on the back of their head so they turn around and fall backwards to attack you.....  or the elk looking mobs ram their antlers at you..... the weird spinning disk guys shove that disk at you to try to hit you... Now apply that to all the awesome/crazy looking pictures of mobs.  How can anyone say this game is boring?

Because they place importance on different things?  Crazy, I know.  Personally, if someone was going to ask what one of the things I liked about Tera was, it wouldn't be the graphics.  Apart from the level of "ooh shiney" in the armors and some good designs, I find the world very stiff like I did at launch.  There are lots of good things about Tera, but the NPCs standing around and the invisible walls kind of remind me of SWTOR...

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I really, REALLY hope this game does well. It hurt when I stopped playing after buying the collector's edition.

I haven't stopped by yet since patch, but I really want this game to succeed. Good luck :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by aesperus

The emphasis on grind-based questing doesn't help it either. It's literally kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> ad naseum. I think that's the biggest turn off for most people. And no, that doesn't change at higher lvls at all.

Ah, I figured the fact that you have a bazillion quests to kill those tree monsters on the starting island was an isolated thing.

Lumberjack title is so appropriate,man I hate those tree's!

The beginner's Island is the least interesting zone in the game by far.  That's unfortunate because it is the first impression people get of the game.  However, the game opens up fairly quickly afterwards and the quests start getting a lot more fun once you get to group content around level 20 or so.

You only have a few skills at the beginning.  Combat really starts getting interesting and dynamic when you have a bunch of offensive and defensive skills and you have to use the right ones at the right time.

What's really unfortunate since the game's launch is people have judged the game on the first day or two's worth of gameplay.  You'd think by now people would realize that MMORPGs are huge games with hundreds of hours of content and that the beginning of any one of them isn't going to be representative of how most of the game plays.

I'm having fun with the game atm.The reason the tree mob's were getting on my nerve's a little is because I took 6 character's through and off the island.One after another,just to get them to Velika.Now that I've done that I'm playing 1 main and 1 secondary until I get the main 50+ and 2nd to 40+.

My main is at 18 now and I've noticed the skill's are getting more plentiful to choose from :)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I played TERA when it was P2P in the hopes that it could provide for a hardcore MMO player but i was let down at the time. Is this still a casuals game with an excellent engine?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    TERA and En Masse are so awesome, best F2P model out of any other MMMOs and MMORPGS. Finally a company that has a honest and fair business model.
  • tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

Game doesnt rock, its still same bland boring game it was before.

Its just free bland boring game now. Some things you dont really want even if they are free. 2 of those are "bland and boring"

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    ^
    Oh, for a moment when I was reading that I thought I had somehow ended up in the GW2 forums.
    My bad.
    Reading the same here and there does start to get confusing.
  • mochipixelsmochipixels Member UncommonPosts: 144

Strange how our interests as MMO players ebb and flow.  I too have recently started playing again after grabbing a collector's edition and promptly abandoning it. 

Suprisingly , I'm actually having fun - more fun with TERA than I remember.  I haven't jumped into a guild (not ready to commit that deeply to the game yet) but it's definitely a magnificent change from GW2.  Yes, TERA is an unabashed quest-grinder.  Yes you kill the same creatures with different names through-out the progress of zones.  However, the graphics, overall aesthetic and combat/ability combination is all different enough from GW2 that it's refreshing.

The perks I get as a Founder are, of course, icing on the cake; but overall the F2P experience is pretty incredible.  The fact that just about everything in the cash shop can be traded on the AH is a nice change of pace too.  

Frankly, EME's F2P strategy is pretty amazing.  As a player and customer, I don't feel corralled down a path to my wallet every time I log it. *cough* SWTOR *cough*  And anytime a customer has a choice or at least the semblance of choice when it comes to enjoying a product, there is less hostility in any transaction of time or money.  

Being forced to pay for pieces of a game becomes maddening after a short while.  So kudos EME for taking a risk with their F2P transition.  They defnintely seemed to have taken a page from AION.

Sadly, I've only managed to convince my partner to come over to TERA with me.  All my other friends are still playing The Secret World and GW2, but I've been trying to entice them back ^_^

TERA's community can still be pretty jarring depending on what sort of community you've been invovled with, but turning off that 4Chan (Global) chat channel makes things more tolerable.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

As many are aware, the thing that really seperates the game is that it's based on the Unreal Engine, which has been refined for many years for multiplayer action combat.  Using that engine for an RPG was a stroke of genius.

Lineage 2 uses the unreal engine aswell, the game's 7 years older than Tera.

Infact that's just one of the many features Blue Hole stole from the Lineage franchise. They actually got sewed for it in Korea and lost.

As for the game itself, I tried it but didn't last 2 hours, the questing (as in most Asian mmos) is horrible.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
     The combat is nothing special

People only say this when they haven't done level 60 hardmodes.

One failed block or dodge = dead, and it's entirely your fault if you die, that kind of combat just doesnt exist in most MMOs. It's also extremely fast paced and tactical, in PvP especially, I have to watch all of my opponents animations and cancel them with my stagger attacks before they manage to cast them, also need to watch their animations to dodge sleeps/stuns. Very interactive.

As bad as the systems in TERA are, the combat is so exceptional it keeps myself and many friends playing no matter how much we complain about the stupid Korean mechanics and design choices.

If a game can't sell a player on it's qualities in the first hour, it's not a good sign.  It's worse when the fans of the game suggest you have to make it to level 60 and do hard modes to see the good in the game.  FAIL.

The combat is skill based and unlike most mmos. It gets harder as you progress because the game is teaching you as you go. ( bams swing harder, faster and more often as you lvl ) His comment meant you can't say the combat is nothing special untill you've tried it at its hardest lvl. People who are lvl 10 saying the combat is too easy are like people who set a game to easy and say it's a bad game because it was easy.

If the game started you off like lvl 60 bams fight, most people wouldn't get past the starter isle. People tend to take falure when trying to do something in  a game as a sign of poor game design and quit if it happens too often.

This 'skill based' thing gets thrown around a lot for TERA, and I think it is quite undeserved. As someone who has done the max level hardmodes, I didn't find anything skill based about the game at all. Unless you mean block or dodge at the right time, which many other games have. Aside from that, its just a generic rotation combat. Hardly any situational skills and I found myself dozing off as both a Sorceror and a Lancer.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
     The combat is nothing special

People only say this when they haven't done level 60 hardmodes.

One failed block or dodge = dead, and it's entirely your fault if you die, that kind of combat just doesnt exist in most MMOs. It's also extremely fast paced and tactical, in PvP especially, I have to watch all of my opponents animations and cancel them with my stagger attacks before they manage to cast them, also need to watch their animations to dodge sleeps/stuns. Very interactive.

As bad as the systems in TERA are, the combat is so exceptional it keeps myself and many friends playing no matter how much we complain about the stupid Korean mechanics and design choices.

If a game can't sell a player on it's qualities in the first hour, it's not a good sign.  It's worse when the fans of the game suggest you have to make it to level 60 and do hard modes to see the good in the game.  FAIL.

The combat is skill based and unlike most mmos. It gets harder as you progress because the game is teaching you as you go. ( bams swing harder, faster and more often as you lvl ) His comment meant you can't say the combat is nothing special untill you've tried it at its hardest lvl. People who are lvl 10 saying the combat is too easy are like people who set a game to easy and say it's a bad game because it was easy.

If the game started you off like lvl 60 bams fight, most people wouldn't get past the starter isle. People tend to take falure when trying to do something in  a game as a sign of poor game design and quit if it happens too often.

This 'skill based' thing gets thrown around a lot for TERA, and I think it is quite undeserved. As someone who has done the max level hardmodes, I didn't find anything skill based about the game at all. Unless you mean block or dodge at the right time, which many other games have. Aside from that, its just a generic rotation combat. Hardly any situational skills and I found myself dozing off as both a Sorceror and a Lancer.

People call anything "skill based" these days.

Originally posted by Pie_Rat

As many are aware, the thing that really seperates the game is that it's based on the Unreal Engine, which has been refined for many years for multiplayer action combat.  Using that engine for an RPG was a stroke of genius.

Lineage 2 uses the unreal engine aswell, the game's 7 years older than Tera.

Infact that's just one of the many features Blue Hole stole from the Lineage franchise. They actually got sewed for it in Korea and lost.

As for the game itself, I tried it but didn't last 2 hours, the questing (as in most Asian mmos) is horrible.

L2 is still a better game, even today...

They tried so hard to make it L3 but failed miserably.....no, L2 wasnt about endless grinding of instanced dungeons.

But you cant underestimate power of boobage...or you can (hmm didnt work for AoC or TERA)

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    If this game "Rocks now more than ever" it must have been really, really bad prior to this.  It's just another tedious rehash of every MMO we've seen since UO and EQ.  The combat is nothing special, the quests are cookie-cutter "kill X of X" and the classes are just insipid.  No wonder it went free to play so fast - it just isn't worth paying for.

I agree that Tera is in general is not that good, but saying that the combat isn´t interesting just shows your ignorance. 

• NurmiporaNurmipora Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Can i have enmasse for europe provider too ..Bluehole !.. its great game .. but this gameforge in europe compared to enmasse is just awww ..