Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar: Garriott Opines: 'Most game designers really just suck.'

13»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I find alot of the comments here quite amusing.

The vast majority of games released these days are absolute shite, nothing but copies of what came before. Just like the music industry... Its all about the packaging.

Only hope is with the Indies, that is the only place where fresh ideas and fresh talent can grow. 

Happens with everything when too much $MONEY$ gets involved.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

I bet a lot of the intellectuals, such as myself, that visit various gaming sites would do even better than Garriot... And he is right, most designers suck. However, when the industry privileges brown-nosers instead of passion, when the industry privileges deadlines over quality, when the industry privileges years of experience over competence, you cannot be surprised. I hope his rant doesn't teach you something new.

The reality is profits. Its all they care about. Someone that would go against the modus operandi of a corporation will not be hired. Would he be the best candidate for the product... sure. But for the office? Not sure. Nowadays, the offices are ran by corporate jackasses who couldn't care less about the product so long as they keep their 9 to 5 office hours with a stable salary so they can maintain their facade of success. As long as customers keep the cashflow going a corporation will never change their ways. You will rarely see a big corporation nowadays where the owners are involved. Its all about the CEO pleasing their investors . It is what is destroying gaming.

Capitalism has become just like religion now where people worship the almighty dollar instead of God. Think about that and see if you can figure out why. If you can't or it still seems silly to you, you are not part of the intellectual class, so please refrain from sharing your insipid commentary.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Teh_Axi

1. He's right.

2. He's one of them.

3. He should just stick to what he knows best, rehashing the only half decent game he's ever made. (which by todays standard would just be a garbage quality browser game).

Id change number 3 though...

3.He should become a politician or used car saleman,and stop putting nails in the mmo imdustries coffin.

Hes a one hit wonder,from a time that just about any mmo product put out was a "hit" becuase the customer base was brand new and there was almost no competition.That customer base has long past stopped being so willing to accept anything that comes down the pipe,and he has yet to show he can make something of qaulity by todays standards.

The "new" game looks like a clone of an old 80's or early 90's game,given slightly better graphics.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

The success of Richard Garriott's games is largely viewed through the rose-colored glasses of hindsight. The games he made were good for their time, but that was another time altogether. The last time he tried to make a game, it was total garbage. I played TR from launch, and it just was NOT very good. There were some good ideas here and there, but it's gone for a reason.

He better be bringing the heat with this latest project, or he's going to look like a giant ass.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Whatever anyone thinks about what he's saying.. this was an awesome marketing technique for creating awareness for his game. I'd put money on him doing it for that reason.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I hope MMORPG.com staff isn't editing this out. BUT: EVERYONE always bemoans we have only politicians who deceive, smooth-talk and none of them speaks plain and open. And ONCE a politician comes who speak plain and direct, people flamewar him down. Same with game developers. Every single one here at one time bemoaned that Game Developers always have "pretty talk", smoothtalk and don't speak plain and open with us. If Garriot now speaks open, and hell says what almost EVERYONE HERE said too at one time, then ALL HAIL TO LORD BRITISH, I say!

I am so tired with "not-this-not-that" people, I am tired of lukewarm, I am tired of grey, I am tired of "oh it's all a matter of perspective".

NO!

NO!

NO!

In the immortal words of John Wayne: "People say, you can't see things in black and white and I say, why the heck not!?" Most game designers REALLY just suck. Period. Paragraph. End of story. It's neither evil not over the top, it's the truth.

And here is the news: The TRUTH is totally independent of he who says it. I can eat 20 Schnitzel every day, and still, if I said, overmuch eating meat is unhealthy, it would STILL be the truth. Fine, not everything Lord British was involved turned into gold, namely Tabula Rasa. But Lord British made more epic games in his life than probably any other single person on this PLANET! And how many super succesfull games did YOU GUYS make? How many of YOU own a Castle or went to space? Oh, none? And yet due to YOUR logic, that someone needs to be perfect to have an opinion, you yourself should have no rights to post here. So maybe THINK of whom you are talking. This man says the MUCH NEEDED truth, that game designers mostly suck, because they have no education and no broad understanding.

One thing we REALLY must come to terms with is this: The game industry is still leagues behind in terms of creativity and "modernity". There are so many super old fashioned cliches in the story-telling of games you can essentially predict the outcome of almost any game. Given what leaps in stories and characters TV, movies and novels made in the last decades, games are still a very infantile medium. A primitive medium in terms of story-telling. And before we allow ourselves to accept this truth and think games are now as good as they can be, we will not move forward. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Maybe those lazy ass developers really need Master Garriots spanking to get off their lazy asses and learn to make better games. Then we all benefit from it.

Maybe when YOU created 20 epic games and built a castle and went to space you come back and tell us otherwise. But before than maybe you listen to a man who accomplished more in his life than we all together!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

While you could probably technically say that most game designers suck in the same way you could say about half of people have under 100 IQ, I think there are many game designers that are still great beyond the 4 he lists. 

The generalization just sounds really stupid to me. If you are going to call people out, man up and say their names. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Elikal

I hope MMORPG.com staff isn't editing this out. BUT: EVERYONE always bemoans we have only politicians who deceive, smooth-talk and none of them speaks plain and open. And ONCE a politician comes who speak plain and direct, people flamewar him down. Same with game developers. Every single one here at one time bemoaned that Game Developers always have "pretty talk", smoothtalk and don't speak plain and open with us. If Garriot now speaks open, and hell says what almost EVERYONE HERE said too at one time, then ALL HAIL TO LORD BRITISH, I say!

I am so tired with "not-this-not-that" people, I am tired of lukewarm, I am tired of grey, I am tired of "oh it's all a matter of perspective".

NO!

NO!

NO!

In the immortal words of John Wayne: "People say, you can't see things in black and white and I say, why the heck not!?" Most game designers REALLY just suck. Period. Paragraph. End of story. It's neither evil not over the top, it's the truth.

And here is the news: The TRUTH is totally independent of he who says it. I can eat 20 Schnitzel every day, and still, if I said, overmuch eating meat is unhealthy, it would STILL be the truth. Fine, not everything Lord British was involved turned into gold, namely Tabula Rasa. But Lord British made more epic games in his life than probably any other single person on this PLANET! And how many super succesfull games did YOU GUYS make? How many of YOU own a Castle or went to space? Oh, none? And yet due to YOUR logic, that someone needs to be perfect to have an opinion, you yourself should have no rights to post here. So maybe THINK of whom you are talking. This man says the MUCH NEEDED truth, that game designers mostly suck, because they have no education and no broad understanding.

One thing we REALLY must come to terms with is this: The game industry is still leagues behind in terms of creativity and "modernity". There are so many super old fashioned cliches in the story-telling of games you can essentially predict the outcome of almost any game. Given what leaps in stories and characters TV, movies and novels made in the last decades, games are still a very infantile medium. A primitive medium in terms of story-telling. And before we allow ourselves to accept this truth and think games are now as good as they can be, we will not move forward. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Maybe those lazy ass developers really need Master Garriots spanking to get off their lazy asses and learn to make better games. Then we all benefit from it.

Maybe when YOU created 20 epic games and built a castle and went to space you come back and tell us otherwise. But before than maybe you listen to a man who accomplished more in his life than we all together!

The thing about being successful is that the bar is constantly changing.  Past successes do not equate to future successes.  I wouldn't touch a single one of his games today, even though I used to love them when I didn't know any better.  He has an opinion, a rather abrasive one, but it is still an opinion and one that is not rooted in facts.  He has no more of a clue what will make the next 'Hot' MMO than any of the other 'Clueless' developers he appears to despise.  At least most of 'them' aren't obnoxious twits who don't know how to keep their fat traps shut, before they start insulting the entire industry they're trying to get back into.

We are the consumers and we have every right to ignore blowhards who have a history of success with absolutely no recent or current successes to justify his behavior.  If he had said this sort of thing 20 years ago, he might have a leg to stand on, even if he's still an obnoxious twit, but that certainly isn't the case in today's modern world.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

I wonder if he woulda said all those things if his kickstartes hadnt funded.

Dont get me wrong, i loved bascailly all Ultima games as i started with ultima II i think on my c-64.

i agree with alot of what he said, in a way...But there are somethings that are better left unsaid, or at least could be said differently.

But frankly, Shrouds of the avatar isnt for me. i admire some of his works, but i think that if we compare UO from the late 90's and Shrouds in 2013, UO was better.

I might be wrong, but from what i saw, Shrouds will be a step back, not a step forward.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    This totally turned me off. There's no need to bash the industry in order to bolster your own little game. What a sorry and sad attitude.

Well hes right dude .Most of them dont have a clue how to make a good game, not an inche of creativity ,they make crappy products and expect ppl money and try to fool players with hyper adverstising spending lots of  money to increase hyping instead of bust their  arhses work hard and focus on good old gameplay.

One guy tells the truth and ppl want to burn him? R we turning to hyprocite false puritans society here?

At least i wont . Bravo Richard ! Keep walking dude!