Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If any what book/film do you think would make a good mmo ?

Comments

• AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102
    The Matrrix is tailor made for an MMO. The IP would work perfectly if not bungled like it was the first time around.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Stormbringer! Micheal Moorcock classic.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

I rather be neutered with a rusty spoon than seeing any of my beloved books being turned into a bull's after-meal

considering how shitty the MMO industry is right now and the ludicrous levels of mediocrity and ineptitude among most if not all dev studios, I wouldnt trust them a dollar note, let alone an excellent and immaculate IP to work  their anti-magic on...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Ulysses by James Joyce

Nah .. it is better as a SP third person action adventure.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The 80's cartoon: Masters of the Universe,

Or Perhaps "Captain Nintendo", where there are two obvious factions: heroes and villains.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Westworld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld

would make an awesome MMO

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by laserit

Westworld

it would, but the dark tower would be better, richer, deeper world already fleshed out and better yet, stephen king!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by laserit

Westworld

it would, but the dark tower would be better, richer, deeper world already fleshed out and better yet, stephen king!

Surprised I've never read that.

Going to pick that series up.

Thx

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Maybe cheesy, but... a HARRY POTTER MMO could be a beautiful, immersive title... or a dull, unspired, cartoony theme park mess. I wish I had the budget to make a good one.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    Book of the Fallen Malazan. The Black Company. Both are a series.

couple in thread have mentioned this series of books wiil put this on my reading list :) im interested in seeing how Otherland will turn out as well as this was one of my favourite books :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Maybe cheesy, but... a HARRY POTTER MMO could be a beautiful, immersive title... or a dull, unspired, cartoony theme park mess. I wish I had the budget to make a good one.

But the usual gamer aversion to 'cute' 86es it immediately, regardless.

I'm gonna go with the Man-Kzin Wars period of Niven's Known Space.

But of course I'd be hoping for Ringworld, still.

We could go with the bug wars (Starship Troopers, Bill the Galactic Hero, Bob Aspirin, Orson Scott Card, et al) genre, instead; most likely an easier "sell". "Look how much money those Alien movies made! It's a natural!"

I think the sub-genres are easier to 'sell' as IPs, in general. "We can tell a story every gamer's already kinda familiar with, and we don't have to pay rights to any specific author. Worked for Zombies and for Vampires!".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Blade Runner and it has to be a themepark. ;o

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

dam thats sad news indeed on otherland and Magician by mr Feist is one of my favourites :)
  • tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

Ideal for MMOs: bronze age city states, gods, demons, cults, magic but more subtle than fireballs.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by bcbully

Stormbringer! Micheal Moorcock classic.

I agree :) .... You could take it a step forward and make a hub City lets call it Tanelorn which could protal the user to any of the Eternal Champion worlds  (the game could basically be any genre the players wanted to play in). 

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Doctor Who would make an interesting MMO.
  • RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King

The Legends of the Dragon Realm series - Richard Knaak

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

The late G. H. Stien's Warbot series for those that like mechs.

David Veber's Honor Harrington books.

Mercedes Lackey The 500 Kingdom books.  But it would be a very hard series to do as a game.  One up side to it would be the GM's should be the God Mothers playing an active roll in the game.

Not sure how Ghost in the Shell anime series would do as a game.

Robotech I think would make a good ground/air/space combat game if done right.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Really would like to see ElfQuest made into a MMORPG. ElfQuest was the third rail of fantasy in the 70s and 80s. On one side you had Tolkien and on the other end you had Dungeons and Dragons but in the middle was the psychedelic fantasy world of ElfQuest created by Wendy and Richard Pini. The ElfQuest series has been in print for 35 years and has an incredible ammount of Lore and history built into it. ElfQuest is the largest untapped fantasy IP just waiting for people to explore. This would be the Perfect setting for a deep and immersive MMORPG.
  • MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Doctor Who would make an interesting MMO.

When they started up the new Doctor Who series back in 2005 I thought the same as they went on.

Create your Time Lord, design what your TARDIS looks like(chameleon circuits can be wonky), unlock/collect companions, quick travel, etc., lots of things this franchise has just fits the MMO concepts perfectly.

• Terry Prachett's Discworld
    hi was just deleting some watched threads but wanted to thank people for telling me about the malazan books really enjoyed those and wanted to add the mortal instruments might make a good mmo yeah I know its for teenagers but Im really enjoying them so far :)
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Greyface

Games based on licensed properties always suck.  It's one of the fundamental laws of the universe.  Here's a handy-dandy chart for future reference:

Book > Movie = Good, frequent exceptions

Movie > Book = Bad, no exceptions

Book > Comic Book = Good, frequent exceptions

Comic Book > Movie = Good, frequent exceptions

Movie > Comic Book =  Bad, rare exceptions 

Video Game > Movie =  Bad, no exceptions 

Video Game > Anything not a movie =  Bad, rare exceptions 

Anything > Video Game =  Bad, no exceptions    

Wrong the original SWG was great and a few 100K people agree with that.  There are several other instances however, I won't be going into them.  Your opinions are not fact.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Rats of NIMH

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"