Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: The Way of Progress

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Players love to know how characters will progress through their favorite MMOs. In our latest preview article based on the Elder Scrolls Online, we take a look at how progression will be handled in ESO. See what you think before heading to the comments.

Leveling up your character and building him or her through a game is one of the most important elements in MMOs.  It’s what ties us to the world, more than anything. Elder Scrolls Online has fused the best possible systems from both MMOs and the Elder Scrolls RPGs to make progression fun and interesting. I will do my best to break down how you will want to spend your points. There are respecs and morphs available to make decisions important. The system is open and makes for some of the best character progression in an MMO I have seen in a long time.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Elder Scrolls Online: The Way of Progress.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

A quick question: So you equip racial / guild / Ava / world skills instead of your class skills (1-6)?

• wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74
    i would like to do one more question about combat system, is the system tab targetting or you actually have a cross target ala "Tera" ? Although a lot of players prefer the Tera combat system, i prefer a lot more the combat system of GW2.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm curious to know if you specialize in Restoration Staff, will you have any attacks at all from that weapon or will it be completely about healing?  If this is the case, how do you solo the soloable content as Restoration Staff?

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Really suprised this question wasnt asked by you guys so we have an answer...are there limited "skill points" to use to level up these skill choices or is it ACTUALLY freeform like in TES where were can eventually level up all skill trees.

Because I will say this, if they limit us...its just another very big lie being told by the company to make this sound like they are even TRYING to make the game like TES, and just giving us the illusion of choice. There is NO reason at all to limit this other than, we believe all MMOs must follow the same rules as every other no matter the game or IP. Games like TSW prove you can do it, and make it work.

Seriously, why make an open class system and then force people into a limited role anyway? I hope we can level up all of them.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I'm curious to know if you specialize in Restoration Staff, will you have any attacks at all from that weapon or will it be completely about healing?  If this is the case, how do you solo the soloable content as Restoration Staff?

At least you can have damage spells from you class skills.

Originally posted by JasonJ

Really suprised this question wasnt asked by you guys so we have an answer...are there limited "skill points" to use to level up these skill choices or is it ACTUALLY freeform like in TES where were can eventually level up all skill trees.

Because I will say this, if they limit us...its just another very big lie being told by the company to make this sound like they are even TRYING to make the game like TES, and just giving us the illusion of choice. There is NO reason at all to limit this other than, we believe all MMOs must follow the same rules as every other no matter the game or IP. Games like TSW prove you can do it, and make it work.

Seriously, why make an open class system and then force people into a limited role anyway? I hope we can level up all of them.

You are limited to the skills of your race and class. But you can get any weapon / armor / AvA / World skill. There are at the same time many class skills you have to chose from to equip at any time. You can make almost any character you can think of. (healing stealth, battlemage, tank with bow etc)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Sounds really good, honestly.

Nice fusion of class/level based and skill based.

Actually sounds most like Rift with their Soul setup, but perhaps even more flexible.

I do have worries about balance and far too much FOTM bouncing ala SWG had back in the day.

I want to be a rough and tough sword 'n board juggernaut without wasting precious brain cells on girly magic or whimpy bows.

I just hope the game doesn't "force" you to pick up certain skills for your bar for PvE/PvP in various situations and the variety / personalization is more than a pipe dream.

Haven't seen it work out that way yet, so I'm a bit skeptical.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by wutae
    i would like to do one more question about combat system, is the system tab targetting or you actually have a cross target ala "Tera" ? Although a lot of players prefer the Tera combat system, i prefer a lot more the combat system of GW2.

I have read that it is tab target.   Although like in GW2 you can attack without actually targeting. 

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Hycoo

You are limited to the skills of your race and class. But you can get any weapon / armor / AvA / World skill. There are at the same time many class skills you have to chose from to equip at any time. You can make almost any character you can think of. (healing stealth, battlemage, tank with bow etc)

I know you can make any character you can think of, still doesnt answer the question of it that is with a limited amount of skill points...

Originally posted by JasonJ

I know you can make any character you can think of, still doesnt answer the question of it that is with a limited amount of skill points...

You can get all skills on one character (except class / racial)

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    The more and more I read about this game, the more excited I am getting. I just wish we had some idea of when it would launch. Otherwise, *crosses fingers* I hope I get in beta lol.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I might get villified for this, but as a person who absolutely hated Oblivion, Skyrim and the likes, I absolutely love the way this game is shaping up.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

....but is that enough to do the solo content or will you be forced to specialize in another weapon in order to get by?  From all the information given so far, it would appear that weapons play a large part in how your character progresses.

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I hope there is a condition damage class i love dots there so much fun
  • NyrujoNyrujo Member Posts: 6

They should change the title of the game. If I can't make a generic character, log in, and just build my character whatever way I like than it's not Elder Scrolls.

Please don't argue that you have plenty of room to work within each class because that's not TES. TES has no classes and it's completly sandbox. This is just another DAoC wanabe cookie cutter style MMO that will be cloaked under the guise of Elder Scrolls.

Just give Skyrim online co-op, add all of Tamriel via DLC and call it a day.

Edit@ Whoever flagged my comment as spam grow up. I have just as much a right to post my feelings on a game as anyone else.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by nephren25
    I hope there is a condition damage class i love dots there so much fun

Then you use the morphing skills they have and make a skill condition damage.

• dkp1998dkp1998 Member Posts: 2
    No you have the option of picking either or a combination of them both
  • dkp1998dkp1998 Member Posts: 2

you also like in guild wars 2 have a secondary weapon you can swap to with an entirely new action bar so you could switch to a dps based weapon when soloing

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

It is painfully obvious to me they literally do not want TES fans to do business with them.

Once again limitations on characters.

Is there anything TES about this game other than the name of the areas and races?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

....but is that enough to do the solo content or will you be forced to specialize in another weapon in order to get by?  From all the information given so far, it would appear that weapons play a large part in how your character progresses.

your weapon only accounts for 2 of your skills.