Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Reviews of Marvel Heroes

RPS trashed this game hard, as did Forbes.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/17/hands-on-marvel-heroes/#more-135738

Rough.

Here's a quote:

Marvel Heroes, in its current beta form, is dreadful. Let’s be clear – it’s not finished, there’s no release date yet, and there’s clearly lots of work yet to be done. But they invited the press to have a play of a very limited portion of the game so we could report on it. And it’s currently a giant, dreary mess, a clash of woefully weak combat, and lacklustre delivery, so barren of ideas that I kept wondering if I was doing something wrong. Looking like it was made in 2002 (which is no mean feat with the Unreal Engine), and playing like it was made in 1986, this ARPG MMO feels like one of those ’80s half-arsed movie tie-in arcade games that would be ported clumsily to home computer.

Comments

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

For what it's worth, those reviews are from a very early beta build and I think there have been some major system revamps since then. I'm not exactly sure why Gazillion invited the press to check out such an early iteration of the game back then though. 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/brushing-up-on-marvel-heroes-super-sized-beta-update/

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    All that is ancient history now. The game has changed like a Gazillion times since then.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    All that is ancient history now. The game has changed like a Gazillion times since then.

I would reserve judgment until i play the game. For something like a Diablo style ARPG, the details are important, and it is hard to say how fun it is .. based on a very early beta-version.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I would reserve judgment until i play the game. For something like a Diablo style ARPG, the details are important, and it is hard to say how fun it is .. based on a very early beta-version.

Unfortunately its under NDA and there is little we can say about it. Best you can do is keep your eyes open for beta key oportunities, or just wait for launch sometime this spring. 

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Unfortunately its under NDA and there is little we can say about it. Best you can do is keep your eyes open for beta key oportunities, or just wait for launch sometime this spring. 

That is exactly what i plan to do.

The game is F2P. There is no reason not to at least try it with one hero. Playing an hour is more useful than reading 10 preview articles.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    You'll all find out soon. Don't be hasty in judgement.
    Originally posted by wordiz
    You'll all find out soon. Don't be hasty in judgement.

I will in a few days. I just got a beta key that will let me play this weekend.

Hopefully it is at least half the game of what Marvel Ultimate Alliance is.

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Massively sells reviews to game companies so I don't read them.  They have no "actual" content in anything.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Well, the NDA is still in effect so we can't really say anything specific, review it, highlight anything, etc., etc.

Not even sure what we can say about it, much less things like servers.

Originally posted by zellmer

Well, the NDA is still in effect so we can't really say anything specific, review it, highlight anything, etc., etc.

Not even sure what we can say about it, much less things like servers.

I wonder if we can even say whether we like it or not, or have some general adjectives without going into specifics.

• LordbearLordbear Member Posts: 6

This one is much kinder, and more closely resembles my short time in the beta:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/previews/marvel-heroes-hands-on

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I can't really give any details due to the NDA, but I really enjoyed my time with the beta. I'll be playing it.
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    I can't really give any details due to the NDA, but I really enjoyed my time with the beta. I'll be playing it.

I will be playing it too .. though i think it should be improved. (And i can't go into details because of NDA).

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I played this weekend and for a game that is free where you can find other heros for free, it was fun and I will be playing at launch.  I do feel the $200 pre-order pack is a rip-off and wish the $20 pack had more choices.  Several of the heros I would want are not available in the $20 packs.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin
    I played this weekend and for a game that is free where you can find other heros for free, it was fun and I will be playing at launch.  I do feel the $200 pre-order pack is a rip-off and wish the $20 pack had more choices.  Several of the heros I would want are not available in the $20 packs.

wait till the game is released. I bet they will be selling everything.

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164
    I did not find it fun at all tbh.
  • GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    If there is an NDA, would I be allowed to say I find the game fun?
    Originally posted by GettCouped
    If there is an NDA, would I be allowed to say I find the game fun?

probably.