Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: Questing in the New Tamriel

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During our hands on time with the Elder Scrolls Online last week, we took the opportunity to check out the meat and potatoes of any MMO. See what we discovered about questing in ESO and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

When you think of Elder Scrolls and questing you immediately go into the exploration mode. Turn and run off in a random direction and you are guaranteed to find some lost ruin or dungeon. However, even the great RPG behemoth known as Skyrim has directions and quests to move the player through multiple story lines. Elder Scrolls Online has a similar approach. The team wanted to add in exploration to the zones and the game, but hey also have quests in to guide players through the zone pick up some valuable loot at low levels and to tell an overall story. We wanted to talk a little about how questing works in the game and what players can expect.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Elder Scrolls Online: Questing in the New Tamriel.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Sounds like a pretty good system, I enjoy games that dont lead ya by the nose the whole way through.

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200
    Yeah and I bet you $100 sneaking around mobs for a quest will not give you more exp  for avoiding mob's and killing your way nets ton more exp making it the only way to lv up or spend x2 the time .
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    ESO is certainly top on my "to-watch" list, with Wildstar being right behind it. Obviously skeptical until I can really get into beta and see how well everything presented pans out.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by banshe13
    Yeah and I bet you $100 sneaking around mobs for a quest will not give you more exp  for avoiding mob's and killing your way nets ton more exp making it the only way to lv up or spend x2 the time .

Min/maxing and rushing to level instead of actually role playing a character is a choice the player makes - as it should be.

That sounds like "working as intended" to me.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

They seem to be going the major story arc with plenty of side stuff to keep you amused route as you journey from one ride to the next in the high fantasy ESO themepark. Still at least it looks like being sub model at first so we aren't nickled and dimed for more bag space by the usual par for the f2p course in-game cash shop.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Lets hope it goes like that till you hit 50 and on.

I like the idea that it feels more like rpg than the typical mmorpgs we see today.

The lack of cutscenes is also very good.

In swtor custscenes distract you from the gameplay which i found it very bad but in skyrim the conversation were feeling more dynamic because there were no cutscenes and you could stay hear the conversation or move along and be done with it.

• jay8118jay8118 Member Posts: 29
    There studio must be a hotspot for alot of crime, this is the second video I've seen where I heard sirens in the background lol
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Ugh, I m so sick of the "I m not getting max xp crowd. Why can t people just enjoy games nowadays.

• GressGress Member Posts: 12
    shes kinda of sexy
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

I am really looking forward to this.  However I have some concerns.

One of the things I really loved about the TES series is that feel you get exploring dungeons, like you are the only living thing that has stepped foot in there in years.  That feeling that you are blaizing new trails, taking the path less taken.  

One of my concerns is that as an mmo, is that gone?  I mean it kinda of ruins that whole feeling if while I'm sneaking through a dungeon and a group of 5 guys runs by killing everything in their path.  At times in the offline games it can feel a bit lonely, but I'm afraid in the MMO it is going to feel small and crowded with people running all over the place.  

Any word on how they will be handling this?  Is everything instanced?  I think finding a good balance is pretty essential to making it feel like an MMO but also keeping the thrill of the feeling of exploring new ground.(as opposed to the tedium of 10 guys racing to open the 1 chest or kill the 1 quest mob)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by jbombard

One of the things I really loved about the TES series is that feel you get exploring dungeons, like you are the only living thing that has stepped foot in there in years.  That feeling that you are blaizing new trails, taking the path less taken.  

1,  One of my concerns is that as an mmo, is that gone?

2, Any word on how they will be handling this?  Is everything instanced? 

1, yes. You can't have the feeling of being a lone explorer in a world where players are actively exploring in the same places. That's why playing an mmo doesn't completely "work" if you want to be a lone explorer in a world that isn't made so that there "forgotten" areas.

Wanting to play with other players online does have it's caveats. you get the players. But you get the players.

2, each area has a few instanced dungoens and 1 public dungeon.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by jbombard

1,  One of my concerns is that as an mmo, is that gone?

2, Any word on how they will be handling this?  Is everything instanced? 

1, yes. You can't have the feeling of being a lone explorer in a world where players are actively exploring in the same places. That's why playing an mmo doesn't completely "work" if you want to be a lone explorer in a world that isn't made so that there "forgotten" areas.

Wanting to play with other players online does have it's caveats. you get the players. But you get the players.

2, each area has a few instanced dungoens and 1 public dungeon.

Thanks Sovrath.  I kind of figured this was the case.  Oh well, I'll have to stop trying to think of this as an ES game and just try and enjoy it for what it is.  There is still a lot to love about the leveling system and the world in general.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I'm just hoping I will be able to afford upgrades, or new computers even, by the time this comes out.  I loved Oblivion so much, and haven't had an opportunity to play Skyrim because it's only on Steam, and I utterly despise Steam.  Come to think of it, I hope Zenimax runs ESO, so I don't have to deal with the utterly huge amount of BS concerning Steam.
  • OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

The more you use a skill the more it will level up. That is the Elder Scrolls way. You will still earn exp even if you stealth round all the npcs because your using the sneak skill.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

To be fair this description put around where info of journalist doing just main quest concerns me as it overally sounded like another do all stuff in area and never come back as you have done everything here already anyway. If that's the case then it is really a shame.

Just see how quests were handled in some MMOs years ago (even in vanilla WoW) - this is what modern themeparks are missing most and information above seems slightly to say abandon hope, it will be just like in most WoW clones. Maybe a bit better but still not that much in a long run.

I hope I am wrong about this but then I do have a bad feelings after this news.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Exactly. All this min/maxing is a really determent to the community. People being shunned for not having the max build of the month. What next gearscore and dps charts? How about actually playing a mmo because you might enjoy the compnay of the other players instead of treating the community like whores. Use them to get your fix or loot and move on to next target.