Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of trinity

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by simmihi

Originally posted by Magnum2103
      As far as PvE goes the real trinity is Mesmer / Guardian / Warrior (Ele can fit somewhere in there too I guess).  No reason to bring any other professions to dungeons.  Guardian + Ele teams can complete post 50 fractals while other professions struggle.  Warriors stacking with a Mesmer is all you need for speed runs.  Considering that Warriors can solo what is suppose to be the hardest dungeon in the game with full berserker gear you know something is wrong with PvE  Necros don't bring anything to the table in PvE.  At least the WvW / SPvP scene is a bit more balanced.  When the top PvE classes scale so well off criticals from Berserker gear there is no reason to wear anything other than that.

Absolutely spot on. Despite of a great first impression, didn't take me much to realise that only 2-3 classes in some specific specs and specific gea are viable. Pretty terrible.

viable and optimal are not the same thing...any combination is viable in this game which can't be said for most trinity games

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

I don't miss the trinity. IMHO in newer games it was dumbed down to tank, healer and dps. Really it's tank/dps, healer/dps and dps so the only ones doing anything that takes some effort is the tank(s) and healer(s). Don't get me wrong maximizing dps can be a fun game but it is limited.  Since this dumbing down has trained a large portion of the player base to be largely dps we saw early on the rez-zerging strat as a team of glass cannons attempted to do a dungeon.

If you like the trinity thats cool but I think your fooling yourself if you think it is the only viable or fun way to play. Funny thing is that most games provide so many more options then basic modern trinity it just seems that few players are interested. Is it path of least resistence and/or familiarity? At the same time it seems like MMO's are a bit stale. I guess I've seen this before: I want something different but I don't want it to change. It is really difficult to satisfiy that. 

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

As far as PvE goes the real trinity is Mesmer / Guardian / Warrior (Ele can fit somewhere in there too I guess).  No reason to bring any other professions to dungeons.  Guardian + Ele teams can complete post 50 fractals while other professions struggle.  Warriors stacking with a Mesmer is all you need for speed runs.  Considering that Warriors can solo what is suppose to be the hardest dungeon in the game with full berserker gear you know something is wrong with PvE  Necros don't bring anything to the table in PvE.  At least the WvW / SPvP scene is a bit more balanced.  When the top PvE classes scale so well off criticals from Berserker gear there is no reason to wear anything other than that.

Absolutely spot on. Despite of a great first impression, didn't take me much to realise that only 2-3 classes in some specific specs and specific gea are viable. Pretty terrible.

viable and optimal are not the same thing...any combination is viable in this game which can't be said for most trinity games

In GW2, "viable" = optimal. Trust me on this, i play a Ranger and an Engi. I love unpopular classes. My guild (nice people, very social, considered one of the best on the server) told me " roll a Warrior as everyone else, you want to do instances, don't you?". I'm sorry, i did not like that class. I do not like PvP. Overall, my chars don't get any group. There's no reason for me to play. If i want to solo, I'd rather play Skyrim or other single player. Dragon zergs are not enough for me to make this game a "MMO".

In GW2, "viable" = optimal. Trust me on this, i play a Ranger and an Engi. I love unpopular classes. My guild (nice people, very social, considered one of the best on the server) told me " roll a Warrior as everyone else, you want to do instances, don't you?". I'm sorry, i did not like that class. I do not like PvP. Overall, my chars don't get any group. There's no reason for me to play. If i want to solo, I'd rather play Skyrim or other single player. Dragon zergs are not enough for me to make this game a "MMO".

viable is not optimal I have completed every dungeon in the game and up to 15 fractals.. Never once did the group ever need a certain class to complete anything

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Not a very impressive guild it would seem. When we do Fractals or anything else it's simply "come as you are" and we do them. But then again... this guild also has "drunk, naked WvW night" and might, just might, be having a dolyak race through a battleground map to see who survives. (Ruminent tonics ftw!)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

WOW!!!!!!!!! Here is a new thread that I have not seen before. People don't like guild wars 2 because of The trinity or every thing else thats wrong with the game.

Don't forget that Guild wars 2 has less players then Warhammer etc etc. 

How about we close this thread and all you players who hate the game stick to your own crap cause I love Guildwars 2.

The game has action and skill, take a game like WOW were you have 50 diffrent skills but you only use 3 because they are the best, whats the point of the other ones?

Or the simple fact that you can cast all your spells while running insted of standing still waiting for the spell to fly away.

Guild wars 2 has lots of players, I have been put in overflow almost every day now, the game is just perfect.

We get new content every month insted of waiting for a new raid to arrive 6 months later, and then we get so much more then a new boss, we get more story lines, new zones, Meta events and we get all of this every month.

Anet is working there as off to make the game more and more fun every day and they are susceeding. All the wow players who were on a break from there raiding has now left and still the game is huge with a stable player base.

And NO all players have not left, this is so untrue the game is has players in every zone and lots of them.

Keep up the good work Anet, I would give my right arm to your game if it didn't mean that I couldn't play anymore :)

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Volkon

Damage is not the trinity.  Damage was never required to complete content in old school MMOs.  There was no such thing as enrage timers.  The original trinity is Crowd Control / Healing / Tank.  Since you can't really CC bosses well in Guild Wars 2 due to defiant stacks, the CC aspect is non-existent.

You can be the primary healer in your group (either as a Staff Guardian, an Ele, or a combination of a Ranger + Blast Finisher user like a Guardian, Warrior, or Thief) and you can be the primary tank for your group due to the way aggro works (Rangers, Warriors, and Guardians fill this role well), though it's not necessary like the Trinity is in other games since there are multiple ways to get through PvE encounters.  Most higher end groups are either going to throw massive damage at something before it outputs enough damage back (in "dungeons") or hide behind reflect wall spam while throwing out massive damage (in "fractals).

Honestly, the PvE is pretty disappointing to me and I'm now sitting at a very high Fractal level and have had Dungeon Master since month 1 and finished the repeatable Hobby Dungeon Explorer tier about 10 times now.  The champions I've fought from Guild Bounty are more interesting than the dungeon bosses (minus Lupicus and Arch Diviner in Collosus fractal), but ultimately you can just zerg them down since there is no restrictions on waypointing back outside of dungeons.  I was all in favor of not having "raiding" before, but GW2 has made me miss it because I'm really just left with a lack of things to do.

So I don't think it's fair to blame the lack of trinity (even though it still exists to an extent).  The PvE is just poorly designed at the moment.  They should have went with more WoW esque heavily scripted encounters with multiple phases than these single mechanic tank and spank fights that currently exist.

You leave out a lot. While some people prefer the groups you mention above, the fact is that any mix of professions still works. Maybe not as fast, but they all still work fine. 

Oh... I think they fixed it so you can't go past 50 in Fractals anymore...

You also forget one of the main strengths of the mesmers... versatillity. Being able to effectively dip into the full d/c/s makes them an incredibly flexible profession. I know some people love Time Warp, but turning that end boss guy in the Flame Legion Fractal into a giant chicken still makes me giggle. (I think that's the one... been a bit thanks to a WvW addiction...)

I wish I could share your euphoria of how great GW2 is at the moment. But sadly, I am the type of person who really loves to play dedicated healers like in GW1. That was the most fun I ever had as a healer, running around like a madman trying to stay alive long enough so I can heal everyone else! Even in WoW healing "can" be fun, though not as action packed as GW1. 

The main problem for me with this lack of trinity is having no real identity or "need" for any specific class to be there. It's just dmg dealing class 1, 2, 3  etc.

Also I wished they added more content for the longevity. Dynamic events were a nice idea, but I don't get any satisfaction of repeating the same chain of DEs over and over again. An example: I need to do daily events in krytan area, so I travel to queensdale and type in to the map chat, "any events up?". As soon as someone links me the waypoint, I go there and finish the event. 

Somehow I don't get the feeling to want to explore the world in GW2. Hell, I can't even feel immersed with my norn. When was the last time I went to Hoelbrak, my "home" town? I think it was lvl 30 or something? Now we know why all capital cities are dead. In WoW, when I played my tauren, I loved chilling at thunder bluff. I wish I could feel the same for this game. 

viable is not optimal I have completed every dungeon in the game and up to 15 fractals.. Never once did the group ever need a certain class to complete anything

I did not say that you "need" a specific class. I've just said that if you are not that specific class, no one will take you. Well, maybe not you, I don't know your guild / server etc, but on my server (one of the biggest in EU) it happens exactly like this. Warrior, Mesmer, eventually Guardian / Ele. It's not singular, i've got friends on other servers, it's the same there. If you are not "optimal" you are not considered viable. No sense in arguing though, i don't want to convince you about anything, and i know things are like this for me so there's no point.

Originally posted by 1vald2

I wish I could share your euphoria of how great GW2 is at the moment. But sadly, I am the type of person who really loves to play dedicated healers like in GW1. That was the most fun I ever had as a healer, running around like a madman trying to stay alive long enough so I can heal everyone else! Even in WoW healing "can" be fun, though not as action packed as GW1. 

The main problem for me with this lack of trinity is having no real identity or "need" for any specific class to be there. It's just dmg dealing class 1, 2, 3  etc.

Also I wished they added more content for the longevity. Dynamic events were a nice idea, but I don't get any satisfaction of repeating the same chain of DEs over and over again. An example: I need to do daily events in krytan area, so I travel to queensdale and type in to the map chat, "any events up?". As soon as someone links me the waypoint, I go there and finish the event. 

Somehow I don't get the feeling to want to explore the world in GW2. Hell, I can't even feel immersed with my norn. When was the last time I went to Hoelbrak, my "home" town? I think it was lvl 30 or something? Now we know why all capital cities are dead. In WoW, when I played my tauren, I loved chilling at thunder bluff. I wish I could feel the same for this game. 

Nothing at all wrong with loving a dedicated healing class. Unfortunately that means there's a low probability that GW2 will be the game for you for any length of time. That's not a flaw with GW2 combat, just simply a matter of preference and taste. Just like many many people still play WoW. It's not for me anymore, but it's far from a bad game... it's just not what I prefer. 

About the Dynamic Events... it remarkable how fast DEs have already spoiled everyone (myself included), and especially those that knock them for being repeated, etc. Think about this for a moment if you would... using WoW as an example again, once you complete all the quests in a zone, what's left? Nothing. Nothing at all, period. You can't redo the quests and odds are once you've outleveled the zone you'll never go back simply because the challenge is gone. Everything is a one-shot. However in GW2 there's no zone that is dead to you when you leave it. DEs may have been seen before, but you can do them all again if you wish. Not only that, you won't be one-shotting the zone and actually have a risk of being downed if you're not careful. Yes, you can repeat the same chains over and over if you wish. However, remember that that is FAR more than what most MMOs give you. 

Regarding cities and "homes"... I prefer Rata Sum personally. A nice place to chill, and if you have the urge there's always building surfing to break things up a bit. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Not a very impressive guild it would seem. When we do Fractals or anything else it's simply "come as you are" and we do them. But then again... this guild also has "drunk, naked WvW night" and might, just might, be having a dolyak race through a battleground map to see who survives. (Ruminent tonics ftw!)

I've thought about changing servers, but really I've tried that "guest" thing on other servers and found out that the things look the same. I would gladly delete all my characters and my progression if the game would let me pick another server after i have no characters, but i'm not sure about that. Will I be able to start fresh on a new server if i delete all my chars? No idea. Considering the feelings i've got for the game at this moment, a paid transfer is a big no.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by paulocafalli

Not worth it.

Thank you for the useless troll - I like it that is what matters to me.

The trinity is the bastion of the people who don't think outside the bax.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

You leave out a lot. While some people prefer the groups you mention above, the fact is that any mix of professions still works. Maybe not as fast, but they all still work fine. 

Oh... I think they fixed it so you can't go past 50 in Fractals anymore...

You also forget one of the main strengths of the mesmers... versatillity. Being able to effectively dip into the full d/c/s makes them an incredibly flexible profession. I know some people love Time Warp, but turning that end boss guy in the Flame Legion Fractal into a giant chicken still makes me giggle. (I think that's the one... been a bit thanks to a WvW addiction...)

You can actually get to 60 Fractals now that total agony resist has been upped to 45.  Also it's still possible if you know someone post 60 to get higher level Fractals by joining their group and doing only odd level Fractals to avoid Jade Maw.

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

Nothing at all wrong with loving a dedicated healing class. Unfortunately that means there's a low probability that GW2 will be the game for you for any length of time. That's not a flaw with GW2 combat, just simply a matter of preference and taste. Just like many many people still play WoW. It's not for me anymore, but it's far from a bad game... it's just not what I prefer. 

About the Dynamic Events... it remarkable how fast DEs have already spoiled everyone (myself included), and especially those that knock them for being repeated, etc. Think about this for a moment if you would... using WoW as an example again, once you complete all the quests in a zone, what's left? Nothing. Nothing at all, period. You can't redo the quests and odds are once you've outleveled the zone you'll never go back simply because the challenge is gone. Everything is a one-shot. However in GW2 there's no zone that is dead to you when you leave it. DEs may have been seen before, but you can do them all again if you wish. Not only that, you won't be one-shotting the zone and actually have a risk of being downed if you're not careful. Yes, you can repeat the same chains over and over if you wish. However, remember that that is FAR more than what most MMOs give you. 

Regarding cities and "homes"... I prefer Rata Sum personally. A nice place to chill, and if you have the urge there's always building surfing to break things up a bit. 

I have spent almost 700 hours on the game, and in the beginning I was so happy and excited about everything, especially to reach lvl 80 the first time. Always, I was hoping to be able to immerse myself more and more, but the opposite was the case. The more I played, the less I liked my character. I even created another character and leveled it up to 80 again. I really like the fast paced and action packed combat of GW2, it's just that I don't like any of the classes. The only class I actually came to like a "bit" was the guardian. Another minor problem was the heavy armor. Have you ever played a soldier class in GW2? I would not recommend it, only a handful of good armor pieces to be had there. And those few are actual sets, very few armor pieces can be combined for a good unique look. Unlike the light or medium armor, which have so many more options of creating a unique awesome looking character. Then comes the problem with me not liking the elementalist/mesmer...

Maybe I should try necromancer, but I have my doubts whether I will like it any more than the other classes. Time for me to face the facts and move on... (R.I.P GW2 for me I guess image)

Btw what do you mean by: "and if you have the urge there's always building surfing to break things up a bit."?

Originally posted by 1vald2 I wish I could share your euphoria of how great GW2 is at the moment. But sadly, I am the type of person who really loves to play dedicated healers like in GW1. That was the most fun I ever had as a healer, running around like a madman trying to stay alive long enough so I can heal everyone else! Even in WoW healing "can" be fun, though not as action packed as GW1.  The main problem for me with this lack of trinity is having no real identity or "need" for any specific class to be there. It's just dmg dealing class 1, 2, 3  etc. Also I wished they added more content for the longevity. Dynamic events were a nice idea, but I don't get any satisfaction of repeating the same chain of DEs over and over again. An example: I need to do daily events in krytan area, so I travel to queensdale and type in to the map chat, "any events up?". As soon as someone links me the waypoint, I go there and finish the event.  Somehow I don't get the feeling to want to explore the world in GW2. Hell, I can't even feel immersed with my norn. When was the last time I went to Hoelbrak, my "home" town? I think it was lvl 30 or something? Now we know why all capital cities are dead. In WoW, when I played my tauren, I loved chilling at thunder bluff. I wish I could feel the same for this game.   

I have spent almost 700 hours on the game, and in the beginning I was so happy and excited about everything, especially to reach lvl 80 the first time. Always, I was hoping to be able to immerse myself more and more, but the opposite was the case. The more I played, the less I liked my character. I even created another character and leveled it up to 80 again. I really like the fast paced and action packed combat of GW2, it's just that I don't like any of the classes. The only class I actually came to like a "bit" was the guardian. Another minor problem was the heavy armor. Have you ever played a soldier class in GW2? I would not recommend it, only a handful of good armor pieces to be had there. And those few are actual sets, very few armor pieces can be combined for a good unique look. Unlike the light or medium armor, which have so many more options of creating a unique awesome looking character. Then comes the problem with me not liking the elementalist/mesmer...

Maybe I should try necromancer, but I have my doubts whether I will like it any more than the other classes. Time for me to face the facts and move on... (R.I.P GW2 for me I guess image)

Btw what do you mean by: "and if you have the urge there's always building surfing to break things up a bit."?

lol good old building surfing in rata...its funny how differently people experience classes in this game.. I love mesmer class it is the most versatile and one of the most unique classes I have ever played in a mmo

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

The point is though, if you are choosing to make a party for dungeons why run anything but 4 Warriors and Mesmer (or 3 Warriors, Mesmer, Guardian/Ele) because the efficiency is much faster than adding a Necro or Ranger or two in place of any of those slots.  If a Warrior can solo the hardest non-fractal dungeon in the game the game is clearly not balanced around PvE.  Also, once you hit 40+ Fractals good luck running things with completely unoptimal group comps (try 5 Rangers or 5 Necros versus Jade Maw post 40) which are mainly Eles and Guardians in full Berserker gear at that point.  Sure, you can bring a Necro up to a certain point in Fractals before they start really bogging you down, and it's possible to carry players with no Agony Resist through post 50 Fractals (been there, done that), but the point is why bother when you can clear it much more effectively without them.

For the record I play a Ranger, which isn't as PvE viable as the 4 professions mentioned here and I've reached high level Fractals, but I always feel like I'm bringing my group down and getting carried in order to do so.  I should just roll one of these, but I own a Sunrise, would have to level all those Fractals again, and do other PITA stuff to catch up.

And again I don't think this is a fault of the no trinity, just poor PvE design and balance.  WvW and SPvP actually work fairly well in the game because it's balanced around it (primarily SPvP where all their balance changes seem to be centered around) where all professions have a clear role and purpose.  I don't think we should point fingers and blame the lack of trinity here which is the point I'm trying to make.

Get up as high in Rata Sum as you can near an outside edge where the building angles away from you to the ground below. Step out in that direction. Try to surf all the way to the ground without hitting an obstacle on the way down.

Your first dirt nap makes you smile! :D

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Isn't Trinity that chick from Matrix?

Yes, and she is hot as hell.

God bless that leather suit.

Thx, now I feel like I have to watch the matrix tonight.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Everyone knows GW2 has a trinity system, Anet simply renamed it to damage / defense / control or whatever so they could market it back to you as an innovative product with no "trinity".....

See how that worked out?

I thought GW2 was supposed to revolutionise the genre and stomp all competitors into the dust...whereas in reality the game turned out to be en exercise in making a mediocre themepark and abandoning / backtracking on almost every aspect of the original charter that Anet pledged to its fanbase.

I hear D3 has more players than GW2 these days...

/shrug

Driz

+1

So simple I never thought of it. But for sure, since there are the 3 types that would be a "trinity"

Hehehehehehehehehe

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I'm glad that 6 months after the release you figured out that there is no trinity.

Thanks for informing us.

There IS a trinity, they just mask it (as other have pointed out).

Elemenalist/staff/water anyone?

This discussion has been closed.