Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I want to play an MMORPG, but..."

12346»

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    It's more likely that a larger and larger percentage of players seem to take their on-line anonimity to heart and become assholes. Who would want to play/group with them?
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

This is one of the reasons that LFD and server transfers often come up. Sure you used to have asshats, but unless they were amazingly good at their class, they quickly found that they only had one option left and that was to try to solo a group content game.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by azmundai

it boggles my mind that so many people want to solo an mmo ..

I wouldn't mind except there are no more games out there where you can just run into random people in the world and actually have them acknowledge your existence except to go out of their way to attack that 5 minute respawn quest boss that you've been waiting 4.5 minutes for.

I don't mind that there are MMOs out there for people who like to solo, but why are there none that even come close to even encouraging grouping?

They ALL encourage grouping.  In every single MMO on the market groupers get far far better rewards.  They get more xp, faster xp, more coin and better loot, and it is extremely easy to get a group these days.

True grouping doesn't happen so much in the world, it is mostly for dungeons but you cant' say grouping isnt encouraged when the loot, xp  and coin are heavily tilted towards grouping.

Grouping in WoW is the fasest way to level. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by azmundai it boggles my mind that so many people want to solo an mmo .. I wouldn't mind except there are no more games out there where you can just run into random people in the world and actually have them acknowledge your existence except to go out of their way to attack that 5 minute respawn quest boss that you've been waiting 4.5 minutes for. I don't mind that there are MMOs out there for people who like to solo, but why are there none that even come close to even encouraging grouping?
    They ALL encourage grouping.  In every single MMO on the market groupers get far far better rewards.  They get more xp, faster xp, more coin and better loot, and it is extremely easy to get a group these days.

True grouping doesn't happen so much in the world, it is mostly for dungeons but you cant' say grouping isnt encouraged when the loot, xp  and coin are heavily tilted towards grouping.

so the 10% or so of content that is packed in neatly behind loading screens instead of out in the open seamless world that you have to run over and over again through exactly the same dungeon is meant to encourage grouping? or how about when wow redid azeroth taking out anything that even resembled a group quest? and how is LFD zerging to endgame considered content? sure its fast, it's also pretty boring and full of zerg trolls that pull 500 mobs and then yell at the healer while pulling 500 more and exiting the instance.

again, this doesn't bother me. what bothers me is that there are no games where solo content consists of 10% while group content consists of the rest of the pve content in the game. Vanguard was the only thing close in the past 10 years but it was released in a pretty sorry state and has never recovered.

everything that has been done, including lfd and all of that, has been done to enable soloers to get in faceroll content, and get out.

I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    To answer the OP. Most people want to play mini game lobbies with an MMO tag on them. This combined with the fact all the open world adventure realistic MMO's out there are terribad, aka vangaurd. Project 1999 can get your jollies off but it's extremely dated even for the most conservative gamers.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    The OP speaks the truth.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by azmundai it boggles my mind that so many people want to solo an mmo .. I wouldn't mind except there are no more games out there where you can just run into random people in the world and actually have them acknowledge your existence except to go out of their way to attack that 5 minute respawn quest boss that you've been waiting 4.5 minutes for. I don't mind that there are MMOs out there for people who like to solo, but why are there none that even come close to even encouraging grouping?

so the 10% or so of content that is packed in neatly behind loading screens instead of out in the open seamless world that you have to run over and over again through exactly the same dungeon is meant to encourage grouping? or how about when wow redid azeroth taking out anything that even resembled a group quest? and how is LFD zerging to endgame considered content? sure its fast, it's also pretty boring and full of zerg trolls that pull 500 mobs and then yell at the healer while pulling 500 more and exiting the instance.

again, this doesn't bother me. what bothers me is that there are no games where solo content consists of 10% while group content consists of the rest of the pve content in the game. Vanguard was the only thing close in the past 10 years but it was released in a pretty sorry state and has never recovered.

everything that has been done, including lfd and all of that, has been done to enable soloers to get in faceroll content, and get out.

The fact that grouping is more rewarded than soloing is meant to encourange grouping. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Originally posted by azmundai   Originally posted by VengeSunsoar Originally posted by azmundai it boggles my mind that so many people want to solo an mmo .. I wouldn't mind except there are no more games out there where you can just run into random people in the world and actually have them acknowledge your existence except to go out of their way to attack that 5 minute respawn quest boss that you've been waiting 4.5 minutes for. I don't mind that there are MMOs out there for people who like to solo, but why are there none that even come close to even encouraging grouping?
    They ALL encourage grouping.  In every single MMO on the market groupers get far far better rewards.  They get more xp, faster xp, more coin and better loot, and it is extremely easy to get a group these days.   True grouping doesn't happen so much in the world, it is mostly for dungeons but you cant' say grouping isnt encouraged when the loot, xp  and coin are heavily tilted towards grouping. Grouping in WoW is the fasest way to level. 
      so the 10% or so of content that is packed in neatly behind loading screens instead of out in the open seamless world that you have to run over and over again through exactly the same dungeon is meant to encourage grouping? or how about when wow redid azeroth taking out anything that even resembled a group quest? and how is LFD zerging to endgame considered content? sure its fast, it's also pretty boring and full of zerg trolls that pull 500 mobs and then yell at the healer while pulling 500 more and exiting the instance. again, this doesn't bother me. what bothers me is that there are no games where solo content consists of 10% while group content consists of the rest of the pve content in the game. Vanguard was the only thing close in the past 10 years but it was released in a pretty sorry state and has never recovered. everything that has been done, including lfd and all of that, has been done to enable soloers to get in faceroll content, and get out.
     The fact that grouping is more rewarded than soloing is meant to encourange grouping. 

That may have worked when leveling took months and gear wasn't handed out like candy ... but it doesn't work in this new fast food era we live in.

• jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by jocieB

The irony of forum bots is that a human is behind them.

Isn't that what the sandbox crowd is touting? PvP is most fun because other humans is the content. No wonder they love doing battle here.

And what is it exactly that you have been doing on these forums for several months now?

That's a rhetorical question in case you missed it.

Of course i am. Why else would i be here? To get information?

Yes, because forum PVP is an efficient means of getting information. LMAO. Good one.

Gosh ... please look up what sarcasm means.

And while you're at it, look up "efficient".  Or sort the context into something sensical.  Can't be arsed?  Nor me but I can be sure of one, single thing (non-chess related) - there is nothing what-so-ever "efficient" about posting to a forum.  However, your shortening of Laughing My Ass Off was highly efficient.  Well done.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Now you change the subject. LFD is grouping .. by definition. Whether it is content you like or not, it is group content. Whether it is boring (only to you) or not, it is group content.

And this zerging thing is a red herring. How can you zerg when the boss reset after a wipe?

If you don't like fast grouping, go find some game with slow grouping.

That may have worked when leveling took months and gear wasn't handed out like candy ... but it doesn't work in this new fast food era we live in.

Sounds like it works pretty well when most use LFD to level and do end-game content in WOW. Grouping is the norm of gameplay.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Far too many people dont even realize they hate mmorpg games.  Well its really the RPG they hate.  Combine this with online play and the presence of other people, and they now feel they NEED to rush through the game to compete.

So they spend levels 1-max in misery, wishing they could be at endgame.  When they get there, endgame is well..not as good as expected perhaps and they move on.

The focus is never enjoyment and character building, especially since they automated character building to cater to these people.

In all honestly the only concern with most people in game is getting to endgame and then dominating in pvp. When that doesnt happen the games a failure in their eyes and they get super emotional and take it personal.

What i dont understand...there are games out there already that provide instant endgame, and its fair and balanced and meant to be that way.  They are not called mmorpgs however.  When will people figure this out...i have no idea.

But really it blows my mind how so many people seem to be obsessed with mmorpgs, who just flat out hate everything about them.  Rather than going to play a game type that caters 100% to what they want these people feel that their only option is to complain about mmorpgs and get them changed.

Its really mind blowing to me.  Top it off with the fact that theres other things in life to do than game. 

Hell i play games for enjoyment. End of story.  Dont care how fast i get to endgame, dont care about dominating. Just want a fun game.  Ive enjoyed a whole lot of games that have a horrible reputation as sucking.  Being an adult with a brain, when i stop having fun i part ways no harm no foul.  I got my entertainment for X amount of months or weeks and thats why i was there right?

I dont need a game to keep me glued for 10 years to not be angry.

Sounds like it works pretty well when most use LFD to level and do end-game content in WOW. Grouping is the norm of gameplay.
    i guess that is true for those that believe soloing with 4 other player bars on your screen is grouping. again .. im fine with that .. it doesnt bother me that there are tons of mmos like that, what bothers me is that there aren't any games that deliver more than just soloing with 4 other bars on my screen.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    Originally posted by Gishgeron
    Originally posted by Matticus75

No we are a minority, people who watch love connection and live in a world of glazed over mediocrity are the ones the investors that fund development companies are targeting

Why, because they are glazed over with mediocrity.

Kinda like we all want to have a healthy weight, but boy that fat hamburger at the fast food joint for $4.99 dosent help......unless of course I become extreme and post comments about it somewhere, where then you will probably be told to shut up by your stupid non thinking peers to stop being a whiner.....

who are probably fat

and stupid

Hell, the real problem is that the burger cost less than making your own food...and less still than buying or making healthy food.  Top that with the fact that we change our minds about what is healthy each year..and well, burger wins.  Its tasty, cheap, and at least you know its bad for you.  Better than the fake sugar trend of the last decade, where you find out, at the end, that its not only bad for you but its also preventing your body from shedding fat to boot.

You can still grind steak into hamburger and make 1/2 pound patties but then that be gourmet food

I stopped reading here. I am going to get a burger. Lettuce, Tomato and a wee bit of steak sauce!

Life is Short, Read a Book.

They ALL encourage grouping.  In every single MMO on the market groupers get far far better rewards.  They get more xp, faster xp, more coin and better loot, and it is extremely easy to get a group these days.   True grouping doesn't happen so much in the world, it is mostly for dungeons but you cant' say grouping isnt encouraged when the loot, xp  and coin are heavily tilted towards grouping. Grouping in WoW is the fasest way to level. 
      so the 10% or so of content that is packed in neatly behind loading screens instead of out in the open seamless world that you have to run over and over again through exactly the same dungeon is meant to encourage grouping? or how about when wow redid azeroth taking out anything that even resembled a group quest? and how is LFD zerging to endgame considered content? sure its fast, it's also pretty boring and full of zerg trolls that pull 500 mobs and then yell at the healer while pulling 500 more and exiting the instance. again, this doesn't bother me. what bothers me is that there are no games where solo content consists of 10% while group content consists of the rest of the pve content in the game. Vanguard was the only thing close in the past 10 years but it was released in a pretty sorry state and has never recovered. everything that has been done, including lfd and all of that, has been done to enable soloers to get in faceroll content, and get out.
    Now you change the subject. LFD is grouping .. by definition. Whether it is content you like or not, it is group content. Whether it is boring (only to you) or not, it is group content.

And this zerging thing is a red herring. How can you zerg when the boss reset after a wipe?

If you don't like fast grouping, go find some game with slow grouping.

how, mr strawman, am I changing the subject? adding specifics to a discussion is changing the subject now? damn facebook culture .. changes every 20 seconds.

and if you had bothered to read what I wrote instead of blizting into a frenzy because I used the word zerg in a way you dont agree with you would have read that it doesn't bother me that there are games like this, what bothers me is that "slow grouping" game you feel the need to put the tag slow on ... doesn't exist (or forces my eyes to bleed on 16bit graphics).

i guess that is true for those that believe soloing with 4 other player bars on your screen is grouping. again .. im fine with that .. it doesnt bother me that there are tons of mmos like that, what bothers me is that there aren't any games that deliver more than just soloing with 4 other bars on my screen.

"Soloing with 4 other players"? If that is not grouping, what is? If you want to define a new term about "your kind of grouping", be my guest. My having other humans in your party is pretty much the definition of grouping.

May be you should find out why "soloing with 4 other players" is so popular. If there is little demand for "your kind of grouping", no dev is going to deliver it.

Originally posted by azmundai   Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by azmundai
    "Soloing with 4 other players"? If that is not grouping, what is? If you want to define a new term about "your kind of grouping", be my guest. My having other humans in your party is pretty much the definition of grouping.

May be you should find out why "soloing with 4 other players" is so popular. If there is little demand for "your kind of grouping", no dev is going to deliver it.

ill just default to the definition that existed 10 years ago, the one that got hacked up into a force fed trail of free purples.

Originally posted by BrownAle

Far too many people dont even realize they hate mmorpg games.  Well its really the RPG they hate.  Combine this with online play and the presence of other people, and they now feel they NEED to rush through the game to compete.

hate is such a strong word. I doubt MMO is important enough for people to hate. The right phrase is "don't care".

What i dont understand...there are games out there already that provide instant endgame, and its fair and balanced and meant to be that way.  They are not called mmorpgs however.  When will people figure this out...i have no idea.

They already did. LOL is more popular than any MMO by a large margin. WOT is very successful. Do is DOTA2. Why do you think these games are so popular .. exactly as you said .. instant endgame, fair and balance.

The market for MMOs is already shifting away to these games.

ill just default to the definition that existed 10 years ago, the one that got hacked up into a force fed trail of free purples.

Holding onto old ideas, uh?

Think that will ever come back?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    The OP speaks the truth.

Wanting to play an MMORPG without the suck is reasonable.

That's basically how I felt before the genre finally allowed enough gameplay to creep stealthily into the formula to make MMORPGs worth playing.

Many of the underlying ideas behind the OP's list won't make an MMORPG stop being an MMORPG, but will simply improve it as a game.  The better the game, the more players will want to play it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver