Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matt Firor Plays An Assassin IRL... Backstabs The Community.

So, for those who've been living under a rock these last couple of days, Matt Firor and the team at Zenimax have made a few REALLY COOL decisions... They've decided that it would be  a good idea to destroy any sense of faction pride that they had going. Based on the whining of a few Elder Scrolls fans who will now be adding 2 more months to their subscription plans before putting it on the shelf for good (to go through the extra content) now once you hit 50, you can GROUP WITH, and CHAT WITH people of other factions... I think the people at MMMORPG.com are supporting this decision, since I've seen other similar threads LOCKED, instead of allowing us to discuss how Zenimax destroyed the game....

Now, Matt Firor most llikely didn't want this stupid crap, BUT, guess what? He's still there... he hasn't resigned.. As far as I'm concerned, that's his official stamp of approval on the destruction of any hope of good RvR that this game may have had. 

AD + EP + DC = One Faction, United Against NPC's in a Cooperative Hand-holding carebear game... Discuss.

Comments

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    I do not feel outraged by this action. 
  • wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Oh cry more.

Naturally set factions suck donkey balls. Playing polictics is 5001 + 4002 (that's over 9000..) % much more fun.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Seen this coming, trying to please everyone will end up pleasing nobody. I hope they made it a real pain in the ass though, 100% PvE completion might be that factor. I'm not a completionist so I have no plans in taking part in this part of the game. I hope the PvP doesnt suffer since they are taking time and resources to deal with cry babies.

Well there is CU now to look forward too. Hope that doesnt turn into a break and fold game to the people who cry alot like ESO is now doing.

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

sorry you feel that way mate. However, what they are doing is trying to appease all who want to play the game. I dont think this compromise of being able to explore the entire world at 50 is what i wanted. I wanted a morrowind mmo with a huge world and a zillion things to do and 0 pvp^^.

I think they make a big mistake it not making a morrowwind on line. Old school mmos like vanguard are getting popular again as well as i believe there are 100 times more people out there who would be willing to sub to this game as only pve, crafting and dungeons.

Trying to appease all will fail..

And probably why ill be playiny ffiv instead of this game. To bad as i loved morrowind and still have it with all expansions sitting in a draw here

Bobm111

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    TES fans are a far larger demographic than DAoC fans, and even in terms of MMO players, the PVP vs PVE player base has repeatedly been shown to be split roughly 20/80, so its hardly surprising that ESO would also have to support a significant amount of PVE end game content, there has after all been absolutely no change made to the PVP side of the game. Only the most die hard PVP'er could complain about the changes made, and even then, probably because they don't get to gank a newby in their PVE zones. If this is in any way backstabbing the community, then i'll gladly buy the guy a bigger knife image
  • QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Phry
    TES fans are a far larger demographic than DAoC fans, and even in terms of MMO players, the PVP vs PVE player base has repeatedly been shown to be split roughly 20/80, so its hardly surprising that ESO would also have to support a significant amount of PVE end game content, there has after all been absolutely no change made to the PVP side of the game. Only the most die hard PVP'er could complain about the changes made, and even then, probably because they don't get to gank a newby in their PVE zones. If this is in any way backstabbing the community, then i'll gladly buy the guy a bigger knife image

Oh, I wouldn't worry about it, he used the biggest one he could find.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    I wish designers wouldn't give into the community so much. Now they've set a precedent for themselves that if enough people whine about something they will change the game, but that's not always for the best. Look what happened to WoW.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Yeah, It is a little annoying that they decided to make this change.

But they didn't go into specifics on how it will work. Will I be flagged for pvp?  (probably not)

But it is a little immersion breaking seeing how we are at war, yet an orc can just strut into my realm  not wearing any pants and shop at my local supermarket, yet I can't gut him on the spot.

Def will hurt any chance fro realm pride seeing ppl of the opposite faction just carebear it up around you as you are questing.

SO much for being at war..

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Maybe i'm just naive about this game, but when I think ES I don't think community limiting mechanics such as were in place in Daoc. Granted i'm a Daoc vet, and fully support and covet the systems within that game ... I just don't see them translating to a ES game which should be completely about player freedom.

/shrug - I've not been following this game, the hype monster is being avoided.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    I can't believe how many people are acting "OK" with this. GUYS, RvR in this game has been DESTROYED. You should be PISSED. lol At least we still  have the possibility of CU being a good game.
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    I can't believe how many people are acting "OK" with this. GUYS, RvR in this game has been DESTROYED. You should be PISSED. lol At least we still  have the possibility of CU being a good game.

I just hope Mark has bigger balls than Matt and sticks to his plan without breaking to the cry babies on forums/youtube to grab a few extra initial sales.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

This is an amazing change. In Skyrim, even though Stormcloaks and the Empire are at war with the khajiit (or don't like them)...the Khajiit can still be found roaming Skyrim trading their goods.

This is a great victory for real Elder Scrolls fans.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Originally posted by TheScavenger

This is an amazing change. In Skyrim, even though Stormcloaks and the Empire are at war with the khajiit (or don't like them)...the Khajiit can still be found roaming Skyrim trading their goods.

Not really, if you join the Stormcloaks you can't join the Imperials also. You have to choose one. Now it seems choice doesnt matter, where will it end.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Fearum

Not really, if you join the Stormcloaks you can't join the Imperials also. You have to choose one.

The Khajiit can still be found trading their goods in Skyrim. Even though they are enemies of the Empire and Stormcloaks, due to them allying with the Thalmor.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Who cares about RvR, I just like questing and exploring. Screw faction pride im playing a damn video game.  I dont even have any pride for my real life faction lol.  For those of you complaining u guys are idiots who wanted a smaller game with less exploration.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm happy with the changes they've done.  Before crafting and the level 50 thing was announced, I wasn't sure I was even going to try this out.  Now I'll at least try the beta if I get in, and this might actually be the first game I pre-order since Rift (and the expansion, but that doesn't count lol).

As a crafter/trader, I hope they have some kind of trading.  It would be awesome to buy some native things to Black Marsh and transport them to High Rock and make money :D

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I was pretty surprised by this news. And it's clear that this was complete capitulation to the vocal minority who couldn't bare the thought of faction lock, since Matt's early comments were along the lines of "You can make an alt to experience the other zones".

I don't know what it's going to do to RvR, but I have a feeling that being able to group with opposing factions at any level will completely ruin faction pride, and that level of animosity required to have meaningful, war-like PvP.

And this is exactly why I think you need to keep your game under wraps until it's available to be played, in some form, by your audience. You gave people who have no idea what your game will be like the time to incessantly whine about a feature they percieve as bad. If they had a chance to play before reading into a feature list and knee-jerking to the forums to cry foul, then perhaps ZM could have presented their intended vision intact.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

The easier way to handle the factioning would have been to allow players to forsake allegience to any of the kingdoms, then if they wanted to later they could claim allegience or just merc themselves out.

Of course trying to please everyone by adding pvp to an Elder Scrolls game is what got them into this mess in the first place.

Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm happy with the changes they've done.  Before crafting and the level 50 thing was announced, I wasn't sure I was even going to try this out.  Now I'll at least try the beta if I get in, and this might actually be the first game I pre-order since Rift (and the expansion, but that doesn't count lol).

I'm on the other end of that, was going to pre order. Now I see they are altering the game to forums and youtubers so will now wait for a month or two after release to see how the game plays out.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Further proof that having complete separation between PvE and PvP is the right way to go. Mark Jacobs is on the right track with Camelot Unchained. PvErs don't want their questing and raiding limited by PvP-oriented factions. PvPers don't want to be forced to grind raids and instances for PvE gear in order to compete in PvP. The more companies stop trying to be all things to all players and focus their games on one side or the other (PvE OR PvP but not both), the better off players will be.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

its hilarious when people think only a real elder scrolls fan is one that agrees with them! LOL

i have news for you, i like the elder scrolls games too but i am also a fan of mmo's. i don't want the MMO to be the exact same thing as the single player game.

if that is what you want you may as well just wait for the next ES single player game and save yourself a lot of time complaining about this MMO

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

First off the OP needs to get a grip and find something else to have pride in.

Aside from that, its really not a big deal and a smart idea to have from the get-go. At the end of the day Elder Scrolls is about choices, you can be totally anti-social and only stay with your realm. Others can be true adventurers and group with and communicate with the other realms. Having some kind of absolutely retarded system where you cannot speak with or group with the other factions is ludacris.

I actually missed the original WoW beta that allowed undead to speak common. It was great and made sense. Now nobody can talk to one another... unless you're an NPC in which case they all speak the same language. Artificial barries are not a smart strat and especially for a game like ESO where a ton of people will be PvE and never PvP it only makes sense to let everyone group and socialize.

OP is a joke, sorry but have to be crude when its that blatantly naive.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by baphamet

its hilarious when people think only a real elder scrolls fan is one that agrees with them! LOL

i have news for you, i like the elder scrolls games too but i am also a fan of mmo's. i don't want the MMO to be the exact same thing as the single player game.

if that is what you want you may as well just wait for the next ES single player game and save yourself a lot of time complaining about this MMO

Using that same logic though... 

I dont want the MMO to be radically different from the single player games. If that is what you want you may as well just wait for another MMO that isn't ESO and save yourself a lot of time complaining about this MMO.

So I mean... yeah... people will have different opinions. 

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

Apparenly the people who are pro this idea are not pvp'rs and have never played DAOC.

Seperate factions make a pvp game, peirod. No cross "realming", realm/race pride, protecting your own lands and its resources.

That really sucks and it doesn't look like i'll be playing TESO now, but thats my choice.

If you're a huge pve fan, then I guess this game will be yours.  But as a pvp'r this game has now been squashed.

Although............

It does add an interesting twist.  It gives rise to real spying, it does give rise to really trusting your sources and really gives rise to common elements in real life.  It gives the ability to give a player ti infilitrate ranks and become an underover spy.  The only difference is is that if raids are going to occur that have to be more clandestine, not announced over public channels so low level cross teamrs can't be privy.

Now im on the fence after thinking about it

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

Imagine if in WoW, Alliance and Horde could talk and group with each other. It would completely change the dynamic and atmosphere of the game. More so for this game, since RvR is such a major part of it. The feeling that you get from the game adds to the experience. This desicion makes the feeling of fighting for a particular faction much more meaningless, so the RvR aspect won't be as good as it could have been.

Originally posted by tkreep
    This is like the whole SWG players complaining about SWTOR thing again only this time the daoc players complaining.  STOP trying to turn elder scrolls in to your shit game!!! gtfo elders scrolls isnt about pvp and rvr

Then why did market the RVR so heavily? And on the contrary, elder scrolls should be about pvp. If it were a "true" elder scrolls game like you "real" elder scrolls fans want, then I should be able to attack anyone anywhere I want and take their stuff when I kill them. It should have been a full loot open world free for all pvp game if it were "true" elder scrolls.

This discussion has been closed.