Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Bombs in Beta

Comments

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    This game is literally closer to Hello Kitty Island then Neverwinter or D&D any edition.
  • RagnarockkRagnarockk Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Claes

Interesting post, thanks for posting. Point 1 and 4 is the same reason though, you just formulated it differently.

Point 2 is definetely a bug, and should be fixed. Getting stuck is never acceptable.

Point 3 about lacking content is understandable, this is a beta, right?

I wasn't going to play this game, but after reading this, I might give it a try! Especially the part you said about tab-targeting, which I've always hated. It's way too noob-friendly. Perhaps neverwinter might offer a more challenging solution. I'm sick and tired of auto-aim targeting MMO's.

This game sounds cool, and I haven't even read up on it. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Point 1 is about combat, Point 4 is about game design (look and feel, the dialog of the NPCs). 

They only plan to have one more beta weekend before launch, I think what you see now is pretty much what you'll get.  I mean, unless they do plan to make major changes.  I kind of doubt it though.  They don't plan to even test crafting before the game comes out.  At least from what I've been told.  I hope they change their mind about that. 

Agreed about getting stuck.  I can't imagine why they'd design a game that you'd need an item like a transport scroll (buyable with astral diamonds - read, real money) to get you out of it.  Unless they plan to make bugs to force you to pay for the f2p game, I've never heard of such a thing, have you?  I'm sure they're too honorable to pull such a stunt.

The rewards for PVP seem quite, rewarding.  I think that's the direction they're really shooting for.  It's really Champions with a Forgotten Realms skin.  Not very exciting to me, but if you're into that....  The foundry does seem to be its shining glory.  We'll see what happens when players have a chance to use it.  So far, only developers have had a chance to use those tools.  Post your experiences and tell us what you liked.

For everyone who likes the game or is all interested now, this weekend is the next and last beta, so watch Twitter or buy your way in.  I have nothing against it.  If you can stomach it after all I've said, then it's for you.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    It's linear fun :)  I like it with all of its flaws.  It is what it is, not bad for free to play and free to download
    Originally posted by JDogg126

Just few words to the OP.

At some point the genre needs to offer something different.  It's not necessary that every single MMO have 10 action bars, hundreds of key bindable macros, unit frames for focus/target of target units, etc.  I'm sure it's tragedy that there is no ct_bossmod addon to tell everyone in a group when to GTFO and when to stop attacking too.  That doesn't mean that it's not going to be possible to organize a large group though.  It just means things will need to be done differently.  A long time ago before there was all the wacky automation and fancy pants unit frames there were MMO's with 80+ person raids and they organized just fine.  The key is adapting to the mechanics of the game as players have been doing since the 90's.

The bulk of the OP is subjective opinion used to pan the game which is fine however it's pretty presumptuous to discount the opinions of others as "unqualified" just because you see things differently.  There is no inherent right or wrong.

OK, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but the OP is me, and you just said something about my saying somebody is "unqualified"?  who was it?  I want to apologize to them.  I don't call people unqualified, I mean, it's late here, and I might have goofed but, I'm not a flamer or a troll.  So if you're going to say I called somebody "unqualified", then before I apologize, I want a direct quote, please.

I've also never been in a raid larger than 24, I don't play WoW, and I have no idea how anyone here got any of those ideas about me just because I prefer to tab target.  I'm not the only one in this thread to say that tab targeting is better for performance reasons, either.   That part is simple mechanical fact.  The fact that I prefer tab targeting is opinion which is not subject to inherent right or wrong, as you say.  Careful about conclusion jumping. 

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Ragnarockk

Oh something else that struck me as odd.  Having to explain over and over again to people that no we're not an open group right now, that no we're nowhere near the entrance of the zone and no we're not coming back for them right now. 

You see, they have this thing called "open groups" in this game.  Anybody can just join your group without asking.  Unless you specifically close your group.  So you're halfway done a zone, and somebody pops in and starts following you, mobs pop on them, and they die, then they ask you if you'll come back for them...  they never asked to join in the first place.  Because it was beta, most of the time, if we're close to the beginning, it wasn't an issue, hey, the more the merrier.  But it was such a pain when people who were nowhere nearby or not even in the right instance would just appear in your group list.  Then ask "where are you guys?" after trying to find you. 

I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.  On one hand it breaks the ice, on the other, I wonder if it's exploitable.

Haven't had a chance to test it yet (will be in the next beta), but open grouping generally isn't that big of a deal. It's even a good thing when you're on the other end of it (trying to do a dungeon that noone wants to do atm). The simple solution sounds to be just close your group once you start the dungeon. I'd imagine that's not all that difficult to do?

Not hard, from what I remember, it was tricky to find the first time, and only the team leader could do it, so if you're on the run and forget, you might check on the setting and remind your TL if you see your group is open, esp before you loot.  I honestly don't know if looting is zone wide.  I'm getting fuzzy on the details now, I think it was zone wide, but that might change to where you'd have to be within a certain distance. 

Actually that might have a disadvantage too, because if you did close your group and somebody died on the boss fight, and somebody clicks the loot, the person who's "out of range" might not get a loot roll.  So IDK what would be best. 

• BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Monstre0auS

4. B) Cryptic and WotC have actually worked hand in hand with this game to ensure that it's lore, as well as the details of characters, skills etc, are in-fact very close if not identical to what you'd find in 4ed D&D, so that argument is false. A) I don't see how this setting is not fantasy. If you can point out a single article in game that would be of another setting, modern reality, sci-fi, horror, etc, then please do. If you cannot, then yes, this game is in fact fantasy based. C) Addressed in point 1. I believe.

I can't speak to cooperation between Cryptic and WotC, but Neverwinter has no more than a veneer of D&D 4e. Some of the same terminology is used, but in nearly all cases, those terms mean something different in Neverwinter than they do in 4e.

The setting is Forgotton Realms, so in that sense the lore is D&D.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Allacore69

[mod edit]

That's pretty funny, considering this game is aimed directly at the "younger demographic", because almost anyone who has ever played any P+P DnD is going to think this game stinks, and anyone who played any of the older full featured MMOs is going to think this game stinks. So who does that leave? The same "kids" you seem to be criticizing (since the newer generation of gamers seems to have no problem paying "more for less game").
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The game has to be released and then it may improve or not.  Time will tell.  You pointed out some things that could be improved, but I'm not getting excited until after release.  Let's just see what happens.

The Foundry is a great idea I've seen implemented in other games.  That alone peeks my interest.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The game will fail.  No doubt.  It has nothing to do with D&D, everyone who plays 10 minutes of it knows that.  Guilw Wars 2 is a better version of this game, has a lot more open zones and is free and will have more people playing it.  Why play this game when another game out there does everything better?

People who are D&D creator fanatics will not play this game.  The one thing about the foundry is this:  You actually need to have good people creating missions and such.  If you played COH you know exactly what is going to happen.  For every one decent mission, there will be 100s of farm type of missions.

This is just another of the same type of MMO that has been released for the past 7 years.  If this game came out before Guild Wars 2, then sure, it would be a big hit.  But GW2 has already soaked up the numbers for that type of game, and it is a B2P game, not a sketchy F2P game like NO.

This game will hold your attention for a couple of months.  If that is what you were looking for, well there you go.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

The game will fail.  No doubt.  It has nothing to do with D&D, everyone who plays 10 minutes of it knows that.  Guilw Wars 2 is a better version of this game, has a lot more open zones and is free and will have more people playing it.  Why play this game when another game out there does everything better?

People who are D&D creator fanatics will not play this game.  The one thing about the foundry is this:  You actually need to have good people creating missions and such.  If you played COH you know exactly what is going to happen.  For every one decent mission, there will be 100s of farm type of missions.

This is just another of the same type of MMO that has been released for the past 7 years.  If this game came out before Guild Wars 2, then sure, it would be a big hit.  But GW2 has already soaked up the numbers for that type of game, and it is a B2P game, not a sketchy F2P game like NO.

This game will hold your attention for a couple of months.  If that is what you were looking for, well there you go.

Obvious GW2 fanboi is obvious? Not to be crude, but common. GW2 doesn't have the classic D&D creatures, races, environments or "feel." GW2 also doesn't have the ability to swap out abilities for everything to mix and match your playstyle vs. the content. Sure you can swap weapons, but still much more restrictive.

Last time I checked GW2 also has nothing in the way of a foundry. Which is the big selling point for a lot of folks. Being able to craft stories, quests and dungeons for friends and the community alike. Nor does GW2 have mounts, or even true action combat. Yeah everyone in full plate can roll around like ninjas, but the tells are obscure and most of the time completely pointless. GW2 is the Firefox of MMOs, you see trouble, you do a barrel roll.

Neverwinter has its flaws, no doubt, but using GW2 as the "go-to" game instead is a really bad joke.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

Originally posted by koboldfodder
    The game will fail.  No doubt.  It has nothing to do with D&D, everyone who plays 10 minutes of it knows that.  Guilw Wars 2 is a better version of this game, has a lot more open zones and is free and will have more people playing it.  Why play this game when another game out there does everything better?   People who are D&D creator fanatics will not play this game.  The one thing about the foundry is this:  You actually need to have good people creating missions and such.  If you played COH you know exactly what is going to happen.  For every one decent mission, there will be 100s of farm type of missions.   This is just another of the same type of MMO that has been released for the past 7 years.  If this game came out before Guild Wars 2, then sure, it would be a big hit.  But GW2 has already soaked up the numbers for that type of game, and it is a B2P game, not a sketchy F2P game like NO.   This game will hold your attention for a couple of months.  If that is what you were looking for, well there you go.

Obvious GW2 fanboi is obvious? Not to be crude, but common. GW2 doesn't have the classic D&D creatures, races, environments or "feel." GW2 also doesn't have the ability to swap out abilities for everything to mix and match your playstyle vs. the content. Sure you can swap weapons, but still much more restrictive.

Last time I checked GW2 also has nothing in the way of a foundry. Which is the big selling point for a lot of folks. Being able to craft stories, quests and dungeons for friends and the community alike. Nor does GW2 have mounts, or even true action combat. Yeah everyone in full plate can roll around like ninjas, but the tells are obscure and most of the time completely pointless. GW2 is the Firefox of MMOs, you see trouble, you do a barrel roll.

Neverwinter has its flaws, no doubt, but using GW2 as the "go-to" game instead is a really bad joke.

I'm a fan of both games but just wanted to mention in gw2 you can swap weapon sets and all your utiliy skills which in turn can completely change your playstyle on any class not to mention you can swap the trait abilities out whenever you want outside combat as well..haven't gotten to far into nw skills but hope their is even half the variety in ways to play each class as gw2 because up to 25 in nw I didn't have a whole lot of options in comparison

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Look, it's again the crowd that whines aobut a beta game having bugs and not enough content.

I think the only mistake Cryptic made so far, was allowing about every kid to get their hands on a Beta key to come make baseless and missinformed threads like this.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I quit after about an hour. Been there, done that...  so many times.
  • DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

LOL.  There are so many people with hidden agendas that post in these forums.  It’s impossible for me to believe all that I read.

I suggest people try a game out for themselves before dismissing it based on the rants of forum posters.

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I would never have guessed that someone posting on an MMO forum would have played MMO's before.  This MMO is an MMO.  It has MMO qualities.  I have also been there and done that, but I didn't quit.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The thread can end right here... ^^
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    This is a product by Cryptic, if it weren't for the name , they'd have to pay people to play it. They make mediocre games, why people expect more from them is beyond me. They've relied on getting a hold of a well know IP and exploiting it for what they can.  This is the last big name IP they got a hold of before Atarii sold them . Hopeful they will fade from the consciousness of the gaming world after the release of this.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

OP doesnt like game, says beta was a flop.

Okay!

Ill for sure check it out a launch.

I wish they had went with a full fledged third person view dungeon crawler...however i hear gear itemization is garbage which ruins it as a dungeon crawling grinder...which can be a very fun type of game if you like to farm.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

I think the one thing to keep in mind is, if you're going to give your opinion of a game and say it sucks blah blah blah etc.  Then two things need to happen.  1: Give us some facts to backup why you think the game will fail. 2: If you don't have facts then state that this is your opinion and leave it at that.  Lastly just don't spread false information, thats the only thing I hate the most, you can go on and bash the game all you want with no facts etc but as soon as you spread false information I will call you out on it and correct you.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion just do it with some respect and you'll get respect back no matter how weird/ridiculous your opinion may sound to others.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Burntvet

The thread can end right here... ^^

If that could end thread on site called mmorpg.com you might aswell cancel the whole thing.

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I'm a fan of both games but just wanted to mention in gw2 you can swap weapon sets and all your utiliy skills which in turn can completely change your playstyle on any class not to mention you can swap the trait abilities out whenever you want outside combat as well..haven't gotten to far into nw skills but hope their is even half the variety in ways to play each class as gw2 because up to 25 in nw I didn't have a whole lot of options in comparison

I agree. I see 2 mayor flaws with NW. Character customization and generic dungeons. Not to mention the limited type of weapons for each class. The skill tree has lots of "copies". I saw a skill which appears 3 times in the same skill tree. The visual/name/description is the same. It only does more damage. This doesnt help the variety in combat.

And the dungeons is generic with here and there some secrets. The amount of puzzles/secrets is laughable so dont expect too much of it. Its more like Diablo 3 in 3d. I found exactly 2 puzzles from level 1 to 25, which btw was the same kind of puzzle and to be found in the same dungeon.

The foundry could save the gameplay so I will give it one more chance a few weeks after launch.

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Hiron

I agree. I see 2 mayor flaws with NW. Character customization and generic dungeons. Not to mention the limited type of weapons for each class. The skill tree has lots of "copies". I saw a skill which appears 3 times in the same skill tree. The visual/name/description is the same. It only does more damage. This doesnt help the variety in combat.

And the dungeons is generic with here and there some secrets. The amount of puzzles/secrets is laughable so dont expect too much of it. Its more like Diablo 3 in 3d. I found exactly 2 puzzles from level 1 to 25, which btw was the same kind of puzzle and to be found in the same dungeon.

The foundry could save the gameplay so I will give it one more chance a few weeks after launch.

They had the same name/visual/description because it was the same skill being ranked up....

Why are you so infatuated with freaking puzzles?

Originally posted by gr0und3d

They had the same name/visual/description because it was the same skill being ranked up....

I know its the same skill, but the point still stands. The amount of different skill is thus less that what you see in the skill tree.

Because its the puzzles what differentiates D&D from other dungeon crawler. Its what prevents it from being a zerg rush to the boss. Diablo 3 comes to mind.

After NWN/DDO/BG and other D&D pc games there are some expectations when a game carries the D&D label. And NW isnt what I expected. Some people play for combat (Icewind Dale) Other play for the story(Torment) I play D&D for the dungeons(DDO). Im more of a cerebral kinda dungeons than with enough gear/level/power and you will beat any dungeon guy.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by gr0und3d

I know its the same skill, but the point still stands. The amount of different skill is thus less that what you see in the skill tree.

Because its the puzzles what differentiates D&D from other dungeon crawler. Its what prevents it from being a zerg rush to the boss. Diablo 3 comes to mind.

After NWN/DDO/BG and other D&D pc games there are some expectations when a game carries the D&D label. And NW isnt what I expected. Some people play for combat (Icewind Dale) Other play for the story(Torment) I play D&D for the dungeons(DDO). Im more of a cerebral kinda dungeons than with enough gear/level/power and you will beat any dungeon guy.

i have accepted this game is more akin to a 3d diablo set in the forgotten realms world if you can go into it expecting that you probably will enjoy it more

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

i have accepted this game is more akin to a 3d diablo set in the forgotten realms world if you can go into it expecting that you probably will enjoy it more

In that case if you play for the story its still worth it I guess. But if you dont care about the story/lore then there are tons of other games that do better.(Combat, customization, open world etc) Without the D&D setting its just a typical free mmo imo. Thats how I see the game.

You have the foundry to keep you busy. For me...just not my game I guess.