Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions...

124»

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I was skeptical at first -after i having issues with this game when beta was announced. i had problems making a profile and support was close to nil back at the time- furthermore other games cought my interest by the time this game got released i wasnt happy with their choice of weapon sizes(just a personal pet pieve) so droped it.

Now Feb 2013- the game is F2p- i said what the heck iam waiting for GW2 events n such...let me give it a go...

I must say the creating account was very direct and simple- downloading the game was easy and quick- unfortunately they had server issues on their first day was abit dissapointing-but i tuffed it out-

now a weekend later-iam actually liking TERA, the graphics are beatiful the creatures are fresh n new! and combat system is fun(i play a sorcerer) its very old school mmo mechanics with quests and group dungeons(as ive been coming from GW2) but for what it is iam ok with it. iam lvl 15 atm , and i stick to the main story quests for lvling, iam not into grinding unless i need some gold- not into dungeons unless i have time( i have GW2 for that), heck i bought an epic mount from the shop (so they already got their money for their game). iam in it for pure thempark entertaiment.

I will play TERA for a while, wont call it my home mmo, but its a vacation mmo from my home mmo(GW2) if that makes any sense...lol

I can see TERA growing with F2p. there are many old school mmo players out there! seeking a fresh new game!

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

Unfortunately only thing TERA has is prettiness. But that only lasts so long.

Combat is facepalm. Its what i call "when RPG meets action and they had a huge fight, worse of both", and it has trinity.... GW2 trumps it by miles away.

Questing is ultra boring, storyline is like 5 year old wrote some....stuff...and theres nothing to do at endgame but grinding same dungeons over and over again as an endless gear grind *yawn*

Went back to it when it went F2P to check it out just to remind me why i left it first time and why i play GW2 as a much superior game in every possible way.

Oh, and if i had an urge for game like TERA i would rather go back to L2. Also fully F2P but much better game.

Are there any queues at all after F2P honey moon phase?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I was expecting more from this game.  The combat - which I was led to believe was fresh and innovate - just... isn't. You aim, get the timing into a pattern, and you're done.  Quests are awful.  I mean REALLY awful.  The character classes are simply bland.  I can't believe they're churning out uninspired, derivitave games like this and pretending, quite blatantly, they have anything new to offer.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I was expecting more from this game.  The combat - which I was led to believe was fresh and innovate - just... isn't. You aim, get the timing into a pattern, and you're done.  Quests are awful.  I mean REALLY awful.  The character classes are simply bland.  I can't believe they're churning out uninspired, derivitave games like this and pretending, quite blatantly, they have anything new to offer.

you aint kidding DDO has a more action based combat system then tera, and its, what? 6 years old now, older?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well I've been playing Tera more lately than I did at launch, having not really given it a chance, and I actually kind of like it.  Something that bothers me, however, is the lack of personality.  There were times I cringed at the voice acting in GW2, but Tera's makes me want to tear my headphones off and take them to an exorcist.  It's that bad.  Also, you simply cannot make your own way from point A to point B like you can in other games, the map is very linear and invisible walls are everywhere.  I never care about what's going on either, I just grab a quest and hit the mob links for their locations.  All I know after 20 levels is that there's something called a Federation. lol

Otherwise, as I've said before, I mostly play MMOs for the combat and collecting, so Tera isn't actually half bad in those regards.  I'm enjoying the Berserker right now, and I actually like the way the crafting system works.  I always wished you could get mats other than dusts or essences in WoW.  I mean, who hasn't ever heard of melting down armors to create new stuff?  Apparently not Blizzard.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Well I've been playing Tera more lately than I did at launch, having not really given it a chance, and I actually kind of like it.  Something that bothers me, however, is the lack of personality.  

That's another thing - the world seems dead and sterile.  It's like no thought was put into creating an ambience for the game, and it feels as empty and soulless as a hangar-sized cafeteria.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Well I've been playing Tera more lately than I did at launch, having not really given it a chance, and I actually kind of like it.  Something that bothers me, however, is the lack of personality.  

That's another thing - the world seems dead and sterile.  It's like no thought was put into creating an ambience for the game, and it feels as empty and soulless as a hangar-sized cafateria.

Yeah, it really doesn't hold up to some of the other virtual worlds out there.  I simply don't care about the lore, and what I have read/listened to sounds rushed or just not written well.  The NPCs are actually obnoxious for who-knows-why and their jokes are awful.  But that's not why I play the game, so it doesn't bother me a whole lot.  Yet.  If I played games for depth of character or story, I'd avoid Tera by a country mile.

I couldn't put up with the sterility, simplicity and unoriginality of the game any more, and have deleted it.  It's a shame really - I wish I could find a game that had some solid content, a world that at least SEEMS to be alive and quests better than "Kill X of X"...

Good luck, guys and gals.  :)

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

my biggest problem with this game is actually how over done the whole "cute hentai for 10 year old girls" theme is done.

like seriously!.... little girls with bunny ears, teddy bear people with giant weappons, and general cuteness is NOT what i want in my fantasy world. i just dont know how Asians just eat that stuff up.....

the graphics are awesome, Baraka/Humans/Aman/High elfs are super cool. Castaniks could be cool if they didn't look like they had a broken back.....but for the love of all that is cool  wtf are the Elin and Popori doing in this game?!

every time i see one of them i just want to slap myself in teh face and go play an Orc in WoW....

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140

As a starting player (first few days), the biggest systemic problem I find is the sheer density of creatures combined with their ludicrously fast respawn times. I keep finding (as an archer) that I kill one lot of mobs, advance to engage the next bunch, and while I'm still fighting them, the previous bunch respawn on top of me.

It also means that any quest that says "kill X number of beasts" ends up being "kill the same beast X number of times", as it's usually easiest to find one near the quest giver, kill that, and in a few moments it's back again.

• baykes112baykes112 Member UncommonPosts: 10

I used to play this game a couple of months ago..

As a level 60 experienced sorcerer  all i can say  is ''PVP'!!'. This game is not based on lore or questing. It is based on Dungeons on Hardmode ,GvG battles or Battlegrounds. The only thing which makes this game attractive is the combat system and the dungeons.

The new players will soon enough taste the combat system when they reach level 60and join a guild with some active players. After that the grinding will start to make some pvp gear or pve gear. And after that stage you will focus on Dueling with people to know your class better, because this game has some secret tactics which you will learn later.

Also when you hit level 60 you will practice alot with different Glyph combinations to make your own style of fighting. Basically this game is just about PVP.  The only problem with Tera is that  it lacks population and content.