Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: The Sorcerer Previewed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, members of our team were on hand with Zenimax developers to get a first hand look at several features in the forthcoming Elder Scrolls Online. Next we give our readers a great hands on preview of the Sorcerer class. Find out more about the magic wielder before heading to the comments.

Before we start to go through skills and statistics, remember that any class can use any weapon or wear any armor. This is very much an Elder Scrolls trait and holds true in the online game as well. So the team feels strongly that even though you do pick a class to play, they do not want characters defined by their classes. As you will see on the Interviews, most of the team continues to experiment with the best builds in the game. In playing a Sorcerer I ran around primarily with a sword and dagger and was able to fight, dodge, use weapon skills, and still cast my spells.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Elder Scrolls Online: The Sorcerer Previewed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

remember that any class can use any weapon or where any armor.

Somebody wrote this early image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Ha! Fixed!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
      As to the sorceror does this class get to absorb hostile magic/spells to power its spells like in the elder scrolls games or did they lose that and make the sorceror just another mages as the article doesn't mention it? It would be nice if they kept the classes at least alittle true to the early elder scroll games
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by winter
      As to the sorceror does this class get to absorb hostile magic/spells to power its spells like in the elder scrolls games or did they lose that and make the sorceror just another mages as the article doesn't mention it? It would be nice if they kept the classes at least alittle true to the early elder scroll games

I can't speak to the early games such as  daggerfall, but from Morrowin on the atronach birth symbol that allowed for stunted magicka and absorbing magicka up to the player's limit.

so not all mages absorbed magicka.

I would imagine the question is "is the Atronach birth symbol in the game and if so does it still retain its main properties from the elder scrolls games".

Remember, it's a trade off, if you have stunted magicka you have to rely upon potions to fill your mana if there are no magic attacks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

The flexibility for class skills sounds good.

Dare we hope for freshness? I dare not! (at great force of will)

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I want to make a stealth(sneaky) mage healer.. What is sneaky in pvp?  If your max in it? What do ppl see, whats the timer? Can ppl also lvl in a  tree to see sneaky ppl?

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Sounds like GW2.. with the weapons.
  • ZanthornZanthorn Member Posts: 95
    Thanks for the write-up. I am glad to see this, it sounds like I will be able to set-up a very powerful "Hated-by-All" type of build.  *Evil Grin* Oh,the chaos I am going to cause, hahaha. 
  • SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Did the Daedric/imp fight with you? If so, was it powerful? How about fluidity of combat? Was it smooth?

All Will Be Well.....

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

I'm excited to hear about weapon swapping.  Oh, the possibilities.

Did Garrett get to try other armor types?  What happens when putting on different armor?

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Ha! Fixed!

Hey bill do you know if we can cast spells without holding a god damn stuff cause this would be a gamebreaker for me.I have realy bad feelings about staffs but i like magic beeing casted from my hands.

Also, the skill/combat animations..were they "solid"? When u cast a spell, did it "feel" powerful? Rifts combat animations at launch felt clunky and weak for instance..

I hate to go there but WoWs combat animations feel solid. And the sounds "fit"...a rogues sap sound feels right, so to speak..

How about the running animations? Are they clunky like Warhammers? Stiff?

Sorry bout all the questions, real excited about this game..

All Will Be Well.....

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by RelGn
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Ha! Fixed!

Hey bill do you know if we can cast spells without holding a god damn stuff cause this would be a gamebreaker for me.I have realy bad feelings about staffs but i like magic beeing casted from my hands.

Garrett says he was dual wielding a sword/dagger  and casting lightning attack. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

So? If it isn't broke, why fix it. People are too cynical these days.

Cmon Garrett.........Can we get a few answers?

Theres about 20 questions people have asked..........

All Will Be Well.....

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Czanrei

So? If it isn't broke, why fix it. People are too cynical these days.

I've been playing GW2 for the last little bit, focusing on an Ele right now and having a Mesmer and Guardian for alts.  The weapon skills and swapping really adds an interesting element to gameplay that takes a bit to get used to, but once you do its brilliant.  With TESO offering all weapons to all classes, I'm looking forward to seeing the potential builds people come up with.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

and sounds like WoWs warlock with the 3 skill trees. Storm calling (destruction), dark magic (afliction), and summoning daedra (demonology).....

i was hoping mages were the same as in other TES games. Not liking the sound of this.... at all.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Besides the overuse of the adjective "great" in the article, this was very informative (and yet still a tease!). Looking forward to more content on the game, especially as we better understand how classes differentiate roles and playstyles in the game.
  • DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Am I the only one incredibly disappointed to hear there is going to be weapon swapping? I imagine it is going to be like GW2, which is what I HATED about that game. Complete lack of true customization. Now if it was like you were swinging a Two handed sword around, decided to put it away and pull out a sword and board... sure... fine, that is cool. However, it is probably going to be the crap mechanic of forced swapping in order to not be a sub par player. 
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

The tricky thing about classes such as Wizard, mage, or sorcerer is that they live or die as a class by their ability to cast flashy magic graphics. Weaponry doesn't really matter at all. There isn't really anywhere new ESO can go with magic classes. If they don't produce huge explosions then nobody wants to know about them as a class.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by winter

I can't speak to the early games such as  daggerfall, but from Morrowin on the atronach birth symbol that allowed for stunted magicka and absorbing magicka up to the player's limit.

so not all mages absorbed magicka.

I would imagine the question is "is the Atronach birth symbol in the game and if so does it still retain its main properties from the elder scrolls games".

Remember, it's a trade off, if you have stunted magicka you have to rely upon potions to fill your mana if there are no magic attacks.

In the early Elder scroll games (Arena, Daggerfall) they had some premade classes ie, sorceror, battlemage, etc. this was before they had Birth symbols. Since TESO is returning to having classes some with the same names from their early games I was wondering if they were gonna also be like the early classes. The Sorceror was unque in the way it got its mana (absorbing magic) as you say all mages could not do this. it was a bit of a two edgedle sword as one didn't have natural mana regen, but on the other hand things casting harmfull spells on you actually made you stronger. rather fun and different from standard mage. I imagine if the sorceror class was like the original or if the birth symbols like  atronarc were in the game it would add a certain level of surprise in PVP battles

• Pirhana7Pirhana7 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Not sure why people say the weapon system is like GW2, Its actually far from it.  GW2 gives you 5 set attack, 4 are cooldown abilities.  TESO 's main form of combat come from left click attack, hold power attack, right click to block.  the hot bar lets you choose from a huge list of abilities and they do not have a cooldown, all use stamia or magika.

GW2 combat is recklessly attacking with no pauses or defense ( hurt them faster than they hurt you)  Teso combat consists of timed attacks where you time blocks and counter attack and use abilities at the right time while building up your bar to unleash your elite skill.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    So sneak up behind a group and drop a fireball. Fun for the whole family.
  • MizraelisMizraelis Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what skill line get's the Clannfear pet in ESO? Is it a Morph of the Imp spell?