Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A sense of community...on forums )

BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Most of us here share a passion, wich is mmorpgs, and even more, for the most part, we're eager to play CU if kickstarter funds, and even still, we still have a long way to go before the eventual launch.

For the past 6 weeks, we had more and more people joining on the conversations here, and we'll have plenty more in the next 2 and a half years. But slowly but surely, there is also more hostities that can be read.  

Everyone has a right to have different opinions, thoughts, how they see CU, their past MMO experiences etc. If everyone were alike, there would be ONE mmo and everybody who likes mmorpg would play it, and thank God we're all different. But there has to be one thing that we should all share.

Respect.

It would be nice if everyone could respect other people's opinion without hostilities, swearing and jumping at each other's digital throat :P Lets keep the hostilities (sane ones) for when CU launch, then it'll be time to slit each other's throat !

meanwhile lets respect each other's opinion. if hostility climbs, one must let it die, not put oil on an already burning fire.

We're in for a long ride, so lets keep it cool !

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
Thurka on WAR

Comments

• Havok77Havok77 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I agree wholeheartedly.  Lets keep it a clean and upbeat area of the internet and actually encourage other people who haven't experienced a good MMO comunity to play CU and see what made us all stick to the MMO scene.
  • EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

Funnily enough, I was thinking the opposite, BowBow.  I'm beginning to recognise names, and understand people's styles of writing. There are people I tend to agree with, and people I tend to disagree with.  

I think we're building a community, right here on the board, that will carry over to the backers forums and eventually the game.

When there's a mix of people there's always a mix of ideas and fights will break out, but the feel of this board is one of community. :)

Incidentally and by the by, I downloaded DAoC and started a new character tonight after 11 years away.  Level 12 in less than two hours! Wow, that's different from the first time!

I must say, it's stood the test of time extremely well and the music.. oh the music. It's like coming home :)

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Hehe this just reminds me of how different ex-daoc players are from modern mmo players. Love your post and agree!

sad thing is modern mmo players would flame this kind of post cause they just don't get it... Fortunately I think cu will bring back accountability for your actions by the community.  Disrespectful players in game will witness fist hand the consequences of thir actions

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Ellya

Funnily enough, I was thinking the opposite, BowBow.  I'm beginning to recognise names, and understand people's styles of writing. There are people I tend to agree with, and people I tend to disagree with.  

I think we're building a community, right here on the board, that will carry over to the backers forums and eventually the game.

When there's a mix of people there's always a mix of ideas and fights will break out, but the feel of this board is one of community. :)

I agree that mix of ideas can separate people on 2 sides of a fence, i'm not saying it shouldnt happen, just suggesting that respecting each other's opinion without telling them to STFU and stuff like that would make our community here more fun to be around.

As soon as i see language like that, i stop reading, and i'm probably not alone. And its too bad because sometimes good ideas could be mentionned in those posts, but it wont necessarly be read, and that is unfortunate.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

I suppose there is.  I highly doubt that the Kickstarter on this will fail.  So, when/if this game gets back, it'll be interesting to see how the pre-game community moves to alpha backers, beta testers, and then to actual players.  Hopefully soon, we'll have an official site.   There's a lot of great insight (both constructive and respectfully destructive) out there spread out amongst a few boards.  Reminds a bit of the old VN boards.   One of my favorite quotes of how people should act en masse comes from a late 80's movie, "Be excellent to each other."  Sometimes that's all it takes.

As for the ideas, there's definitely been a lot of that.  There's been a lot of bravery behind for some of them.  It's amazing what you'll see when you know the devs are looking.  Ya know, who knows if thing you've always wanted to see in your 1-10+ year mmo career might get picked up.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Great post, BowBowDAOC.

I couldn't agree more.  Although we all will disagree at times, it's important to give the person on the other end of the post the respect they deserve.  As Ellya pointed out, you begin to get a feel for people's writing styles, personalities, and overall attitudes.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

I've been pleasantly surprised by this community, thus far.  Overwhelmingly positive.  Yes, there are a few heated debates with some vitriol here and there, but this is the interwebs and that is to be expected.

I'm pretty confident that if the in-game community is half as positive as this board, it will be a great experience.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159

All of you can diaf!

Seriously though...

...I'm joking

/high 5

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

I've been pleasantly surprised by this community, thus far.  Overwhelmingly positive.  Yes, there are a few heated debates with some vitriol here and there, but this is the interwebs and that is to be expected.

I'm pretty confident that if the in-game community is half as positive as this board, it will be a great experience.

DIE YOU DIRTY HIBBIE!!!!

Er...I mean yes...its good to see old friends and foe's from DAOC and meet new one's.  One of my best friends in RL now is somebody I met playing DAOC.  Heck, last night playing Rift I was talking to some random person who turned out to be an old DAOCer and I pointed them towards Camelot Unchained info. 

As much as the VN server boards has their loads of smack talk, it was almost an extension of the RvR in game.  Their were plenty of good fight, congrat posts, as well as OMG MIDNIGHT RELIC RAID posts.  Fun times.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Wolvan
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

DIE YOU DIRTY HIBBIE!!!!

Er...I mean yes...its good to see old friends and foe's from DAOC and meet new one's.  One of my best friends in RL now is somebody I met playing DAOC.  Heck, last night playing Rift I was talking to some random person who turned out to be an old DAOCer and I pointed them towards Camelot Unchained info. 

As much as the VN server boards has their loads of smack talk, it was almost an extension of the RvR in game.  Their were plenty of good fight, congrat posts, as well as OMG MIDNIGHT RELIC RAID posts.  Fun times.

^^^This.

Oh, and die with festering boils, you aurochs-butt-smelling Mid!

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• Casca9226Casca9226 Member Posts: 25
    Im all good with this. Great games were built on great communities. Aslong as we dont turn into a whiny bunch of sallys like the TESO boards. They cried so hard Zenimax changed the game. lolz
  • BordogBordog Member Posts: 34

Cheerio chaps! Self-righteous Albion here. :p

I've posted elsewhere how much I love the community in DAoC. I'm all for creating a great community based on respect here. I guess I hope to get to know you guys well enough that I want to play the next MMO to take up my time with you. Perhaps I'll find a guild here? I for one will do my part to make the community for CU an inviting and flameless one.

• VanshoodieVanshoodie Member Posts: 34
    Good thread and I am happy to see everyone agrees. It is sad to say, however, that most forums and games have made a drastic shift away from respect. I don't know if it is due to the newer generation of players and wanting the instant gratification or what. I started playing with EQ and EQ2, and I remember when you could do a contested dungeon and other players would respect your areas. If you get to an area first and were mob grinding then it was yours, and if any one came a long they respected that and moved to another area. Now days contested dungeons is nothing but leap frog. That is ok too, I have adapted to tolerate the piss ants. So far the CU community looks very promising. Can't wait for the Kickstarter to kickstart.
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Out of all the other MMOs I have played, DAoC always had a strong community and it felt like they really listened to you.  I remember there was a suggestion feature on the Herald and it seemed like they took the player's feedback into making the game better overall.  Sure, there was the "Nerf this class!" or "I am too nerfed!" battles, but that is the fun and annoying of these types of games--extremely hard to balance.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Great post, great thread, good times. :)

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 565
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the the forum community here thus far. It has grown huge compared to what it started out as. I remember having a few thread starting posts back when the forum only had 1 page lol. I expected that close knitness of these forums to disappear in a day or two. Yet it hasn't become the cesspool I expected it to be and I'm happy as hell about it. It bodes well for the game should it go forward. Then again we are probably, age wise, some of the more older crowd when it comes to gaming.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    On a related note, Mythic did a great job of creating a community with DAoC. I hope CSE takes some inspiration from that. Team Leads, constant communication, etc.
  • gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

Most of us here share a passion, wich is mmorpgs, and even more, for the most part, we're eager to play CU if kickstarter funds, and even still, we still have a long way to go before the eventual launch.

For the past 6 weeks, we had more and more people joining on the conversations here, and we'll have plenty more in the next 2 and a half years. But slowly but surely, there is also more hostities that can be read.  

Everyone has a right to have different opinions, thoughts, how they see CU, their past MMO experiences etc. If everyone were alike, there would be ONE mmo and everybody who likes mmorpg would play it, and thank God we're all different. But there has to be one thing that we should all share.

Respect.

It would be nice if everyone could respect other people's opinion without hostilities, swearing and jumping at each other's digital throat :P Lets keep the hostilities (sane ones) for when CU launch, then it'll be time to slit each other's throat !

meanwhile lets respect each other's opinion. if hostility climbs, one must let it die, not put oil on an already burning fire.

Agree BowbowDAoC part of my fondest DAOC memories were the kindness of strangers. Who can recall getting a drive by buff as I call them.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ellya

I agree that mix of ideas can separate people on 2 sides of a fence, i'm not saying it shouldnt happen, just suggesting that respecting each other's opinion without telling them to STFU and stuff like that would make our community here more fun to be around.

As soon as i see language like that, i stop reading, and i'm probably not alone. And its too bad because sometimes good ideas could be mentionned in those posts, but it wont necessarly be read, and that is unfortunate.

I don't know that I can respect everyone's opinion especially when there are people making demands about this thing and that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Not suprising really considering daoc was one of, if not THE top, mmos for community
  • TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

While I never played DAoC, I am gratified to see the sentiments epxressed.  I have enjoyed following this game and hope we all have a chance to continue building this community for years to come.

I am older (and by a healthy margin) than most of you, and while I know it may not be cool, I have always thought you can go a long way by simply being nice, polite and respectful to others. 

I cannot provide attribution and am likely butchering this attempt to paraphrase a favorite quote, but here goes: 

"A truly educated man is he who can yell, scream, argue and disagree with a counterpart, and then shake his hand, leave the room and remain the best of friends."

Edit:  For grammar!

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Respect.

Practice what you preach. That's all I'm going to say.

Its a good sentiment regardless but I think once the game funds there will be closed forums for backers so this forum will probably die off a bit. Once this is off the front page most trolls will wander off to the next thing.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Not suprising really considering daoc was one of, if not THE top, mmos for community

It's funny that you say that because I've personally found the DAOC community to be one of the most offensive mmo communities towards other games.   It is definately a community that I would be hesitant to consider joining simply because of past experiences.  I honestly have more DAOC fanboys on my blocklist than probably any other game.  Maybe that is a sign of a tight community though, when a person feels strongly about something they are that much more aggressive in representing it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Practice what you preach. That's all I'm going to say.

i did it as much as i could :)

i wrote that post in middle of march, so before the KS started, so before the many haters and trolls invaded this place that eventually it kinda got to me, i replied with harsh words too at times, bu tthen afterwards i just gave up for the time being.

unfortunately many many people also stopped coming here for the same reasons.

I barely post anything anymore here, compared to the first 6-8 weeks after CU was announced.

i was not only very happy about CU when it was first anounced, i discovered i was also a bit too passionate :P

But before they gathered here in force, i was behaving like i mentionned, but  yeah i ended up answering back eventually, trolls fed me quite good lol.

Learned from it though, i'm shutting my mouth now as much as i can, and avoid reading trolls and haters.

I'm keeping my passion in check for the time being, waiting for another forum where the other true fans will meet and discuss, without the presence of trolls and haters.

Thurka on WAR

• FishuFishu Member Posts: 12

Loosing your composure on the internet is much easier because of less potential consequence. You just have to accept that some people ego are way too large and won't accept any different idea or criticism ! They perceive everything  has personnal attack if it does not reflect their own idea.

It's the way of the internet. I still remember the hate of the Vn board back in the day. it's was amazing.