Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If any what book/film do you think would make a good mmo ?

Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
Having read the dark material triology maybe better known (1st book) as the golden compass was thinking this could make a pretty good mmo world as everyone is tied to some sort of animal has all sorts of possibilitys you know if you was linked to a monkey agility mountain lion str etc etc with the idea that you could change stats or aa lines on your linked animal within the animals limits it may well be that this would be impossible to do as i was thinking of many different animals to choose from,anyway im sure some maybe many lol think theres already to many mmos out their still this is just a bit of fun post so tell me what you think cheers

Comments

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    The Kingkiller Chronicle ie. (1st book) "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, which is my favorite book by the way, would make a good MMO imo. :)

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

A song of Ice and Fire.

Dragonslance Saga at the time of the War of the Lance.

Death Gate Cycle.

The Dark Tower...Stephen King boooy!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

LOTRO could have made an awesome mmorpg.

Sandbox, single-server, open world. Everyone starting as a peasant and becomes whatever on his journey, options would have been endless. It could have been the biggest thing ever, as an IP like this deserves.

Unfortunately the license went to Turbine...and you know the rest of the sad story.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Robert Jordan "Wheel of time"  Serries

Game of Thrones (based on the war before Robert takes the throne)

Pretty much any of the Dragon Lance era's

Raymond E. Feist "Riftwar universe" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Feist

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Shadowrun. I read a number of the novels. Very interesting world with a nice blend of technology and magic. Hopefully the game on kickstarter doesn't suck or go into development hell.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Volgore

LOTRO could have made an awesome mmorpg.

Sandbox, single-server, open world. Everyone starting as a peasant and becomes whatever on his journey, options would have been endless. It could have been the biggest thing ever, as an IP like this deserves.

Unfortunately the license went to Turbine...and you know the rest of the sad story.

Ha Ha Ha.. I was just going to say either LoTR or Star Wars, and both of those IP's failed due to a piss poor dev team that was only concerned with market value money grab instead of actually making a RPG game..  I would of loved to have been the lead boss with either IP.. It's sad that when I think of playing a hobbit, I actually remember playing a halfling in EQ..

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

Games based on licensed properties always suck.  It's one of the fundamental laws of the universe.  Here's a handy-dandy chart for future reference:

Book > Movie = Good, frequent exceptions

Movie > Book = Bad, no exceptions

Book > Comic Book = Good, frequent exceptions

Comic Book > Movie = Good, frequent exceptions

Movie > Comic Book =  Bad, rare exceptions 

Video Game > Movie =  Bad, no exceptions 

Video Game > Anything not a movie =  Bad, rare exceptions 

Anything > Video Game =  Bad, no exceptions    

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

I think everybook of fantasy could be a good MMO. its the Team (dev) that make all the difference and the style they choose to make it.

For exemple lotro, imagine if blizzard would have made it.

hmm but i think i would like to see Game of thrones. its already been made for a web browsers thought. i dunno how its will turn out.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Greyface

Games based on licensed properties always suck.  It's one of the fundamental laws of the universe.  Here's a handy-dandy chart for future reference:

Book > Movie = Good, frequent exceptions

Movie > Book = Bad, no exceptions

Book > Comic Book = Good, frequent exceptions

Comic Book > Movie = Good, frequent exceptions

Movie > Comic Book =  Bad, rare exceptions 

Video Game > Movie =  Bad, no exceptions 

Video Game > Anything not a movie =  Bad, rare exceptions 

Batman arkham asylum and Lara croft hardly suck that aside theres not been that many book tie ins and maybe its about time someone brought out a good one for a mmo maybe HBO should give it a go :)

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) could make for an awesome sandbox MMO if it were in the right hands, but from the little I've seen, what we're getting from Bigpoint is almost certainly going to be just a medicore cash-in like the two single-player games from Cyanide.

I actually think the Malazan series is better suited for the current MMO environment than either Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire. It has deeper lore and a more robust cosmology to support the setting than possibly anything except LotR/Middle Earth. The power curve in the Malazan series is absurd, so it also supports character progression in a way that other fantasy series might not.

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    Forgotten Realms
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Greyface

We all had that time before we played Batman: Arkham Asylum.  We were all there once.

For that matter, the Wheel of Time game back in the day had a pretty dang fun multiplayer mode I loved.  And there have also been a few extremely fun Star Wars games (Jedi Knight 2, X-Wing, etc) over the years.

As for basing MMORPGs on an existing IP?  Eh, I'd say overall don't do it.  The primary benefit is for companies to sell more product because it's familiar.  The benefit for players is vaguely there (after all they're the ones wanting to purchase something familiar) but is purely thematic value.  Trying to fit your MMORPG skin over the top of an IP will just generally result in gameplay compromises in order to stay true to the IP, and will produce slightly worse gameplay as a result.

I suppose there are exceptions.  One of the advantages of known IP is you could potentially use it to really trumpet your game's core pillars.

Another advantage to known IPs is a slight reduction in the need for internal communication.  If you're making a Batman game, your art team is already going to know exactly who Batman and Joker are, and capture their essence pretty well right from the start.  If you're making Mass Effect 1, you have to spend a pretty good chunk of time presenting these new characters "Liara" and "Shepard" so that the team has a clue who they're supposed to be.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Ulysses by James Joyce
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Book of the Fallen Malazan. The Black Company. Both are a series.
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I'm pretty sure the first, and maybe second resident evil movies were good, tomb raider movies might have been better than the game, advent children was an excellent film for fans of the game... And I know there are at least 2 more that are slipping my mind.

I will admit, most media bases on an already popular premise is just a cheap attempt to ensnare fans of the material on another product, instead of making a quality product. This doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means that its usually abused.

Beyond that, I actually enjoyed a few other games to movies... Though I am in an isolated minority (Mario brothers).

Personally I do think that gaming universes make the best IPs for MMO games, with books being an option. Any kind of popular IP transfer has to ne scrutinized though since the cheap money grab has to be assumed...

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

The Black Company. 

Roger Zelazny's Amber.

You need a huge world to work with for the book idea, imo.  Nothing is much bigger than Amber.   Moorcock's books are the same way in that sense.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Frank Herbert's Dune of course.

It is one of my most favorite series EVER. I would love to see Dune Universe in MMO.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i think Project Copernicus could have been a better mmo than any book/film mmo. Sad 38 studios didnt sell it before they crashed and died horribly

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

It is one of my most favorite series EVER. I would love to see Dune Universe in MMO.

yeah dune would be great imagine trying to get across the desert with all those worms lol

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Tindale111

yeah dune would be great imagine trying to get across the desert with all those worms lol

Teleport into the worm fight instance, teleport back the city

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Tindale111

I envision more than that:)

This is such rich universe. So many possibilities... I would love to be Swordmaster of the Ginaz or Bene Gesserit witch :) Or Honored Matre LOL... Space travel - no-ships, or Guild ships....

And somewhere there the Enemy lurking....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

I am currently re-reading the Hyperion series of books by Dan Simmons. It is set in the far future around 2800 A.D. 

I have a great love of the Unbeliever series of books (Also known as The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever) by Stephen R. Donaldson  also. Well, the first 6 books anyways.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Golelorn
    Book of the Fallen Malazan. The Black Company. Both are a series.
    Currently reading The Malazan Book of the Fallen, on Book 8 : Toll The Hounds.

The book has distinct races and tribes, distinct classes, from cadre healing mages, through high mages to foot soldiers and assassins, different continents and a great lore, it seems good to go for a game on the surface, BUT it's the pathos of the characters, the story of individual and group journeys that make it what it is. It's an epic series and no game nor movie could ever do it justice. This is the core problem of creating games from a known IP. Basing a game loosely on it's world and characters could work but without heavy involvement from the author it would struggle to grab the imagination and support of its fans.

Committed fans of any IP are going to be critics of anything outside of its original source. It's an uphill battle and translation in to other media has very rarely succeeded. IMHO It's much better to create something unique that suits the developers vision of what the gaming aspects should be.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    If a game doesn't own its IP, it's always one contractual argument away from been shut down.
  • MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I'd like to see an Underworld mmo.  

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO