Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: First-Person, Exploring, and the Nightblade

Comments

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

This guy Brian actually seems like a good dude.

He has a great attitude and conveys confidence. Thats something i haven't picked up/seen in a long while. For example, I never got that feeling from those two guys at Bioware/SWTOR.

They always had a condenscending attitude, a more 'holier then thou' way about them.

I don't get that at all from this guy...................

All Will Be Well.....

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Nadia

for me,

first person option is helpful for "world immersion" - im glad its being supported

im glad they have both First and Third person perspective for the sake of variety. But i am the total opposite to you. When all i see is a weapon floating on my screen that kills my immersion right away. I get my world immersion when i can see my full character doing stuff. I sometimes use FPS view in skyrim when i want to zoom in within narrow places and tight corners to shoot an arrow but nothing else.

But again, having both options is a great thing.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

This guy Brian actually seems like a good dude.

He has a great attitude and conveys confidence. Thats something i haven't picked up/seen in a long while. For example, I never got that feeling from those two guys at Bioware/SWTOR.

They always had a condenscending attitude, a more 'holier then thou' way about them.

I don't get that at all from this guy...................

Hm I agree. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    This all sounds great but only true gameplay not testing will tell the tell of weather or not this is going to be a good game and can't wait to play it.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Monstre0auS

The thing I'm worried about, now that the forums have had their way and the world has 'opened up', is what content is in these new areas that remains true to the original design of the game? Great, I can be a Nord running around in the Aldmeri Dominion, but does that mean the Altmer are going to be buddy buddy with me and pay me to go do something for them, when my faction is tearing their's apart in Cyrodiil? I personally argued for the locked realms, simply because in a perpetual state of war, I didn't want to see my enemies brother waltzing through my lands as I wrung my enemies neck.

But if my guild and I get instanced into another factions' lands, what's going to be in them? Is that faction going to be there, giving us things to do? I mentioned in one of the most heated debates on this matter that giving the pvp player base the ability to spy on the enemies would be a great way to resolve this issue, but is that whats being developed? The ability to influence the battle for Cyrodiil by invasion or subterfuge?

I will only feel comfortable with this development, if I can hear from a developer at ZoS that this was the way they intended the game to be since it's inception, and that it's not something they've tacked on last minute to appease a bunch of whingers who wanted 'full exploration'.

Otherwise, this new development makes me feel as though, if this game goes to sh!t because of this, we've only got ourselves to blame, and ZoS can turn around stating, 'We gave the playerbase what they wanted, and that was a big mistake'.

Its what they get for basing thier game on a 13 year old idea that was not embraced by the industry for a reason...when you design your game in a very small box, there is little room to grow. Yes I said it, deal with it DaoC was the fourth most popular game of its time and how many others used the crap closed off realms idea? Right...the genre has over 20 million players, to target 1/30th of them thinking a very popular IP is going to make a difference, when that IP is nothing like the little box the MMO is being built in...suddenly the corporate machine is going to take notice that their investment, is turning into a bad one and start to put some preasure on the people spending their money.

• CobraLord1CobraLord1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    sounds great cant wait to play the game ..
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

@Sovrath, @LokeroYes, i'm aware of this.  which is my point.  The fact that they didn't have this from the beginning is a bad sign.  It just shows that they wanted to stray away from what made the Elder Scrolls series great.   And the fact that this made news, along with open-world exploration, is just laughable.  It's just distracting from the other important information they could be releasing to it's fans.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I liked just about every piece of information in this article, especially the part about exploration.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This just made my day!!!

Another new announcement came from the team about exploring the whole world of the game. For a while, it sounded like you could only explore the faction that you had joined at the beginning of the game. So the Ebonhearts would only explore Skyrim and so on. This has now been changed. Players who complete all of the PvE in their zone will now get the chance to unlock another zone at Level 50. Therefore, Ebonheart players can explore the content of the Daggerfall Covenant or the Aldmeri Dominion at Level 50. Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

Hm good good.

Note: I never understood why people liked First Person. In Elder Scrolls I never played first person, only in those narrow dungeon parts when I play a sniper. Otheriwse 90% of the time I prefer 3rd person, because I see SO MUCH MORE. First person always kinda feels like a tunnel view.

In games in general I do prefer 3rd person view but in all the elder scrolls and fallout 3 3rd person always felt awkward like it was a secondary thing implamented because it was.  In first person it was easier to aim and pickup loot and objects in the world.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I am not sure why people think its so great that we can go to other factions lands, because it sounds like 50's will be in their own zone.

The reason to go to another zone is to enjoy the content (which youwon't be able to do. Only whatever endgame stuff they make for that special zone).  I rather doubt there will be as many quests as there are in the nornal zones.

To play with friends. Okay you can play with other 50 lvl other-faction people, but what about up to 50? Nope.

You will get to explore, but will all the mobs just be raised to 50 or will it be an empty land, except for the 50 content?  If you want to see the lands as they actually are you will have to make an alt.

1-49 which is what a lot of people will be spending there time doing, will still have all the limitations.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

"So rest your fears, you will be able to run around in Elder Scrolls Online with a first-person view."

Actually, my fear is that I won't be able to run around in third-person view....  as for the after 50 content, does that mean there will be a forced rush to endgame(level 50+) just to play the whole game, or is there enough that we will be kept busy just getting to 50 so that exploring other faction lands won't even be a concern until then?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    As long as there is also 3rd person (and not being crippled by 1st view) view I'm fine. I do not play 1st person games.
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    I am happy to hear this. If ESO could also make meaninfull crafting to be on top of loot, so we could loot to craft in order to gear-up.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Elikal

This just made my day!!!

Another new announcement came from the team about exploring the whole world of the game. For a while, it sounded like you could only explore the faction that you had joined at the beginning of the game. So the Ebonhearts would only explore Skyrim and so on. This has now been changed. Players who complete all of the PvE in their zone will now get the chance to unlock another zone at Level 50. Therefore, Ebonheart players can explore the content of the Daggerfall Covenant or the Aldmeri Dominion at Level 50. Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

Hm good good.

Note: I never understood why people liked First Person. In Elder Scrolls I never played first person, only in those narrow dungeon parts when I play a sniper. Otheriwse 90% of the time I prefer 3rd person, because I see SO MUCH MORE. First person always kinda feels like a tunnel view.

I think it's more about immersion. I will admit that even in Morrowind I played 3rd person view "mostly". However, there were times when I felt that 1st person felt more right, felt like I was actually in the fight. Sometimes I would reload and redo an encounter just to try it in 1st person.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by observer

@Sovrath, @LokeroYes, i'm aware of this.  which is my point.  The fact that they didn't have this from the beginning is a bad sign.  It just shows that they wanted to stray away from what made the Elder Scrolls series great.   And the fact that this made news, along with open-world exploration, is just laughable.  It's just distracting from the other important information they could be releasing to it's fans.

well that feels like a very cynical view.

First of al "of course they didn't have it planned from the start". They even stated that. However, I think they saw the writing on the wall and wanted to make some concession. It's not perfect but I'm of the mind that sometimes both sides need to give a bit.

I would ask what it's distracting from? There are people talking about the Sorceror and people talking about crafting. I think they released all the info they intended to release. Since this has been a bone of contention for many people it really is "major news".

Again not perfect but I'll take it.

@Ryowulf: for me it's more about the feeling of having more of the world at my disposal. Since most of my playing is just exploring these worlds, it just makes the world more complete. How that world manifests itself isn't much of a concern. Or, more to the point, I don't care if I, as a dark elf, get to do a 1st level Altmeri quest just so long as I can do some sort of activity in the Altmer lands and see and experience what that part of the world is like.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    I am very glad to see they are making the other areas accessible.

It's really hard to say what the end-game unlock content will be like at this stage as you are just getting hype fed to press events . Gaming journalists are just seeing the starting zone, and in quite a limited way. That's not to say ESO won't be good. We just won't see much untill ESO get nearer to a full large scale beta.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

This is the first information about the game that I have read that I really dont like!

1rst Person view is great only portion of this info that I like!!!!

I was under the wrong impression that this game would have open world PvP???  Obviously according to this its a WoW clone!  I do not want to have to do all the quest lines etc to be able to go to another part of the MAP ultra lame!!!  Entire map should be open to me at level 1, no matter if its really perilous or not.... 

And I hate instances, it takes away from the sand box if joe schmo goes into an instance and I am not part of his group I cannot kill him he is safe from my wrath!!!  Not cool you should have no were to hide from a person in game everyone should have access to all the same area at all times!

So while Crafting sounds great this Info sounds too carebear!!!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Okay I am starting to understand this game has a huge flaw!!!!

The Mega Server is nothing more then Instancing!!!!  How can you have carebears and pvpers in the same zone if its one giant sandbox???  You cant because its not 1 giant sandbox persay its a bunch of instanced zones being repopulated for many different people!!!  meaning this is NOT a SANDBOX!!!  Which means this game just went from being way high on my I cant wait to play it list to right down the crapper!!!!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

So, seems they've gone back on the only redeeming feature of the game, public dungeons. Yay everything is phased and instanced!11! Wuts an mmo dur?

There are still public dungeons though it's unclear if they are for groups or not.

How the hell can youhave public dungens NOT for groups? It just shows how broken and divided the game design is. Matt wanted public dungens, publishers wanted instances. Public dungeons just DO NOT work in quest based linear themeparkgames.

Well if this is a Quest Based Linear Themepark I am out!

I want a Sandbox, non linear, non quest based game inside of the world of Tamriel....

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by jfoytek

I was under the wrong impression that this game would have open world PvP???  Obviously according to this its a WoW clone!  I do not want to have to do all the quest lines etc to be able to go to another part of the MAP ultra lame!!!  Entire map should be open to me at level 1, no matter if its really perilous or not.... 

Umm, WoW has open world PvP and you can go to any part of the map at any time in WoW...would get your butt stomped but you CAN go there.

Originally posted by JasonJ
    Originally posted by jfoytek

Umm, WoW has open world PvP and you can go to any part of the map at any time in WoW...would get your butt stomped but you CAN go there.

I stand corrected, you are right WoW "chokes a bit" is perhaps a better system them this one because your right atleast you can go everywhere on the map and be in the same sandbox, with the exception of the dungeons....

The reason I refer to WoW is it created the fad of Theameparks but atleast in WoW they are tollerable, SWTOR is even worse then WoW, Star Trek Online was horribly theameparked and if this is ElderScrolls direction than it makes me very sad indeed!!!!

• 1dragonspell1dragonspell Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Ok this is all sounding beter & beter :-) Personaly i can't do first person because i get bad headacks. so I am realy exited about this with every read :-) so if i can get a beta now would be cool :-) 
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    I am very glad to see they are making the other areas accessible.

Yes it's good to see that they've given into whiners and investors by adding that and killing public duneons, instead of sticking to good game design.

Instanced copies zones within the world are a terrible, terrible, terrible Idea!!!!

Remember when UO Created Trammel?!?  All the PvP screamed it would kill pvp because all the sheep would leave! 

And it did....

All the Sheep left the game because now they lived in a world without danger and things that were accomplishments in the game no longer were there was no risk to justify the reward.

The Public Mass's do not know what they want so you dont give it to them....  They want RISK but when given an option to do a quest in a zone with pvp or without they will take the latter everytime!

Instanced zones based off of personal preferences are a horrible idea!!!!

Keep it one big sandbox, where everyone can go pls!!!!