Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you in favor of Battlegrounds?

12346»

Comments

• AminitaAminita Member Posts: 8

Of course Zift.. 

Not valid to your reality.. 

i understand  that. 

And I accept that. 

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by Aminita

Of course Zift.. 

Not valid to your reality.. 

i understand  that. 

And I accept that. 

Then tell me why in your reality my arguments and examples aren't valid.

If you can't find them then ask me and i will take the time to spell them again for you.

• zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I'm reading two veiws on BG's. 1 is that they are not needed because we assume there is no level system that all skills are gained by killing other players. 2 that new players can not compete. I think having non instant BG's is possible and even practical. Instead of having /XP off why not just let players have multiple or scaled up builds. Build 1 1-1,000,000XP; continuation of build 1,000,001-2,000,000XP; continuation of build 2,000,001-3,000,000XP. You could be a higher level(XP) player and still go back and log into lower level XP battlegrounds with a lower XP character build. This way you can still group with newbies and alts to help them progress and also earn lower amounts of XP for when your in world (no limit XP zone). This could give the best of both worlds for all players. Also since all players would still be able to play in zones you won't have population decrease in the BG's and you can also make them have a smaller % of world impact (mini relics).
  • zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    To further this idea you can also ahve elite battle grounds for higher XP players for later expasions of the game. You could have a BG that scales up XP for the top 10% of players and then top 5%. So you can have a BG where the minimum requirement to enter it keeps going up and the elite can enter for harder but more XP rewarding experience.
  • TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

My take on battlegrounds in a game with open world or at least large scale PvP / RvR is that battlegrounds should not give significant rewards so that they don't detract from the main fight (hello, WAR (at least at launch)).

I would be interested in a battleground based on gear level rather than player level (or realm rank).  It would be interesting if you put on "plain" gear with no bonuses to get into one BG (or the BG strips you of all bonuses while on the map).  This way starting characters would only have access to the lower level gear BGs, but it may be just as fun (if not more) than the big shiny gear fights.  I know the goal is not to make gear an automatic "I win" button, but let's face it, it will have some effect on gameplay.  It seems that this would be feasible if there are no real levels to the game.  The downside is that you need to go gear grinding to "advance" to another BG, though this might promote mid-level crafting of gear more (until the economy inflates).

This was just an idea I thought of while reading the different posts in this thread.  It is by no means fully thought out, so be kind when stomping on the idea and grinding it into the ground with your heel.  (Hehe, I spelled that "heal" at first... that's some harsh healing.)

Again, I'm not agaist BGs as a distraction, especially if you can't spend all night storming the castle.  Just don't make it as rewarding as real RvR.

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

This is harsh but it's how I feel. If you want instanced PVP then look into the numerous games that feature it.

Why does this misconception persist?  I don't think ANYONE wants instanced BG's.

It  all comes down to what each of  us enjoys. 

We can  each  say things that , in our own minds make us RIGHT,  but

this is not about being RIGHT ,,  this about  how each of us  FEEL 

about the  BGs as an option in a  game. 

This  is  NOT a discussion  that you have to WIN... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a  side  note, people that  think they can improve thier  fighting skills 

by the use of a  practice dummy , those people  play  casters ...  :)

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    This thread is hilarious. We are almost at 150 replies and people still think we are talking about WoW style BGs.
  • MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by drakon3
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

This is harsh but it's how I feel. If you want instanced PVP then look into the numerous games that feature it.

Why does this misconception persist?  I don't think ANYONE wants instanced BG's.

Technically Thid was an instanced battleground. While it persisted forever it was in its own little bubble that was seprate from the rest of the game.

Unfortunatly people say instance and they think that it has to be 3-4 thids where its 20v20v20. The wow curse i suppose.

Interesting...

My concept of a BG..

is  that  of  the type of   BGs in  DAOC.. 

Originally posted by MasahikoKobe

Technically Thid was an instanced battleground. While it persisted forever it was in its own little bubble that was seprate from the rest of the game.

Unfortunatly people say instance and they think that it has to be 3-4 thids where its 20v20v20. The wow curse i suppose.

I disagree.  Using that logic NF was technically an instance then since you had to zone in and it was "seperate" from the rest of the world.  There was only ONE "instance" of Thidranki, thus that disqualifies it right there.  An "instance" is where you are able to create multiple versions of the same zone to facilitate some gameplay mechanic. 

Originally posted by Aminita

It  all comes down to what each of  us enjoys. 

We can  each  say things that , in our own minds make us RIGHT,  but

this is not about being RIGHT ,,  this about  how each of us  FEEL 

about the  BGs as an option in a  game. 

This  is  NOT a discussion  that you have to WIN... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a  side  note, people that  think they can improve thier  fighting skills 

by the use of a  practice dummy , those people  play  casters ...  :)

If it's not about giving argument for and against bgs, and just say "i loved it" or "i didn't love it", then what's the point of the topic? Aren't we here to determine if the bgs would make the game better?

As i already said, i really liked bgs in DAoC, but there is no need to use them here, because  the game mechanics given by the foundationnal principles already give some ways to get around them.

And i'm not trying to win, if i was i would have thought about invalidating arguments against the bgs. I would probably have attained the same conclusion, but i wouldn't have posted it.

About the dummies, it may not be obvious to you, but to somebody new to this type of game being able to test how things work, without having something attacking you and thus putting pressure on you, is something appreciated. Why do you think there are still dummies in DAoC tutorial?

Also, i already explained than even a veteran would find a use to a dummy, and to give a new example to the many ones i detailed before, it can be used to calculate the damage variance of your attacks, and then compare if it's better to train a skill higher or stop at that level. Although, as respecing will be limited, it won't be of as much use.

Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    This thread is hilarious. We are almost at 150 replies and people still think we are talking about WoW style BGs.

Well, if people took the time to read what's been said before i'm sure it wouldn't be the case...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

100% not required in true RVR games.

I totally seeing them cave though and putting them in as the majority of the player base now are cuddled little cry babies wanting mini-games seperate from immersive open worlds.

I know it is a bad example for these boards but in recently in Swtor the Gree event was added which offered a whopping 2 open world pvp quests (Just 2 ... ONLY 2 ... of the hundreds of pve quests in game they added TWO DAMN PVP quests) and the population went BATSHITCRAZYBIATCHS over it.

The end result? It is in fact DAMN FUN! Just a small little portion of the game that offers old school style pvp. In fact there is very little pvp going on as, even though you can attack your own faction, very few attack their own side because they will get policed to death over and over if they do so and if you grief the other faction they group up and crush the gankers. When competing for the quest objectives those out of line and attacking are pounced on by both factions. When a real war breaks out it is never free for all ... players group, guildies are green to each other anyway and typically faction takes on faction or it's guild vs guild.

THAT is pvp!!!! ... or at least a small little example of what it could be.

Open world pvp (talking OLD school here) was all about the open world politics. It isn't mindless zergs and red is dead as large guilds battle to control who dominates regions and ultimately everyone is forces to follow the rules of the day or suffer for their choices. Real open world pvp has always been about this from AO, AC and the few games since. It was a magical thing bu todays precious little tulips feel as if the developers must protect them at all times unless in a mini-game with zero consequenses for losing and magically *POOF* back into the real game to continue their further segregated adventures pretending the game is an open play ground.

When it comes to any instanced pvp, every person in an instance = another person NOT in the real open world game. They may as well be playing a Mario game on a Nintendo for the contribution they offer the overall game. Developers have to take that into consideration when deciding things like this. This happened in WAR where some pvp lakes (horribly designed there anyway) became ghost areas because tons of players were in battlegrounds. It doesn't matter if they are linked by progression mechanics, there are only so many players at one time and splitting the population between mini-games undermines the original RvR/open world concept.

The sad truth though is that this game will likely be standard RvR stuff anyway with forced objectives and faction based combat. All this means is that the game decides for what you are there to do and the "red is dead" philosophy will live on. Rvr needs to be the core essense of the open world but will likely just be really large battlegrounds safely separated from pve quest areas.

You stay sassy!

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167

Personally, I prefer larger open world PvP/RvR that allows for a greater variety of topographical locations to fight in. A fun environment to use for breaking LOS or hiding your team mates in various ways is ideal. 

I have certainly had a great deal of fun in BG's from other games, but they always felt sort of like "PvP-lite."

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

I'm normally all for BGs while leveling, but I don't expect to see many of them.  They seem like they will be more of a "tutorial" on how to take a keep/location and defend it, much like Thidranki in DAoC and maybe get up to "RR2".  Beyond that, I am not sure they would exist, since there is a large focus on the main RvR zones.  I like to imagine guilds and alliances help each out, raising up the new blood to be full fledged... hmm... killers?  Sure, some guilds will dominate, but there is no way around that. It gives bigger feeling of accomplishment when you take them down!

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

Originally posted by Tamanous

Open world pvp (talking OLD school here) was all about the open world politics. It isn't mindless zergs and red is dead as large guilds battle to control who dominates regions and ultimately everyone is forces to follow the rules of the day or suffer for their choices. Real open world pvp has always been about this from AO, AC and the few games since. It was a magical thing bu todays precious little tulips feel as if the developers must protect them at all times unless in a mini-game with zero consequenses for losing and magically *POOF* back into the real game to continue their further segregated adventures pretending the game is an open play ground.

No, open world or FFA PvP has ALWAYS been about people like you wanting to gank and harass others for your own twisted pleasure. 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

100% not required in true RVR games.

I totally seeing them cave though and putting them in as the majority of the player base now are cuddled little cry babies wanting mini-games seperate from immersive open worlds.

I know it is a bad example for these boards but in recently in Swtor the Gree event was added which offered a whopping 2 open world pvp quests (Just 2 ... ONLY 2 ... of the hundreds of pve quests in game they added TWO DAMN PVP quests) and the population went BATSHITCRAZYBIATCHS over it.

The end result? It is in fact DAMN FUN! Just a small little portion of the game that offers old school style pvp. In fact there is very little pvp going on as, even though you can attack your own faction, very few attack their own side because they will get policed to death over and over if they do so and if you grief the other faction they group up and crush the gankers. When competing for the quest objectives those out of line and attacking are pounced on by both factions. When a real war breaks out it is never free for all ... players group, guildies are green to each other anyway and typically faction takes on faction or it's guild vs guild.

When it comes to any instanced pvp, every person in an instance = another person NOT in the real open world game. They may as well be playing a Mario game on a Nintendo for the contribution they offer the overall game. Developers have to take that into consideration when deciding things like this. This happened in WAR where some pvp lakes (horribly designed there anyway) became ghost areas because tons of players were in battlegrounds. It doesn't matter if they are linked by progression mechanics, there are only so many players at one time and splitting the population between mini-games undermines the original RvR/open world concept.

The sad truth though is that this game will likely be standard RvR stuff anyway with forced objectives and faction based combat. All this means is that the game decides for what you are there to do and the "red is dead" philosophy will live on. Rvr needs to be the core essense of the open world but will likely just be really large battlegrounds safely separated from pve quest areas.

You are exactly the type pf person (and personality) that kept me from lvl 50 RvR in DAoC.  I'm not even going to counter your failed logic as there isn't much truth to anything you write about.  My opinion and experiences to rebut you have already been written earlier in this thread.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I think we wont find any instanced BGs at all, there might be a few zones specific "levels" (using "levels" here as a general term) but even then i'm not too sure.

Any instanced BGs would go agaisnt what MJ has in mind for CU i think, so we have to expect that all PvP fights will be in the main map.

And i dont mind at all :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC
    I think we wont find any instanced BGs at all, there might be a few zones specific "levels" (using "levels" here as a general term) but even then i'm not too sure. Any instanced BGs would go agaisnt what MJ has in mind for CU i think, so we have to expect that all PvP fights will be in the main map. And i dont mind at all :)

Well, what it really boils down to is we simply don't know.  This thread is all speculation.

Would I like a DAoC-style BG like Thid?  Sure!

Is MJ going to fit it in somewhere?  Who knows.  We haven't heard anything either way. 

I think this thread has exhausted itself until we hear something.  All it is now is back and forth opinion which doesn't really contribute to anything.  If you wanted to pull anything out of this topic, its that this (limited) forum community seems divided. 

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC
    I think we wont find any instanced BGs at all, there might be a few zones specific "levels" (using "levels" here as a general term) but even then i'm not too sure. Any instanced BGs would go agaisnt what MJ has in mind for CU i think, so we have to expect that all PvP fights will be in the main map. And i dont mind at all :)

Well, what it really boils down to is we simply don't know.  This thread is all speculation.

Would I like a DAoC-style BG like Thid?  Sure!

Is MJ going to fit it in somewhere?  Who knows.  We haven't heard anything either way. 

I think this thread has exhausted itself until we hear something.  All it is now is back and forth opinion which doesn't really contribute to anything.  If you wanted to pull anything out of this topic, its that this (limited) forum community seems divided. 

you're right, but at this moment, i much prefer to be here talking about CU than actually playing another game :P

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

That's the problem about what you said. CU won't be a PvP game, it'll be RvR (although RvR won't be used as mythic have the rights, don't they?). One of the important things is to work together for the same goal, and being able to have pride in our realm and achievment. Besides, you said yourself than there was actually very little PvP going on, unless there was a war...

And i don't see why you talk about mindless zerg. If the thing is done right, then the leader give orders and can sort out a strategy to attack different key locations or from different angles. THAT's what RvR truly is, being hundreds of people working together, contrary to having a mob with each player playing for himself only.

About the bgs splitting the community... well, if there are some they will be for training purpose only, so only players that wouldn't go out in real RvR will be there, so that won't actually split anything.

Well, if you ever read our answers, know that it was already said several times than we aren't talking about instanced bgs.

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

DAoC-like battlegrounds: Hell yes!

WoW/GW2-like battlegrounds: No thanks.

Quoted for truth!

Couldn't have said it better myself.