Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: Crafting in Tamriel Revealed

Comments

• MichiganderMichigander Member Posts: 6

Thank you for the write up!  Very exciting!

Never played Skyrim or any of the games compared to ESO, so this question might have been asked already so I apoligize if it's been answered already.  If you are in a 4 player dungeon and we kill a boss, and for example the 4 players are all weaponsmiths and some sort of special ingredient ingots drop, do we all roll on them or can we all get the same loot?  Just wondering how it pretains to looting for ingredients?

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

Michigander

I am pretty sure it was mentioned early on that anyone who participates in a kill gets their own seperate drop. Don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure this was said.

Forgot to hit quote =P
  • MichiganderMichigander Member Posts: 6

Very cool and thank you for the response. 

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by Soki123
    On paper sounds like the best crafting I ve seen in an MMO. Really looking forward to this game.

Really? Have you seen what The Repopulation has for crafting? THAT is a crafting system to get excited about. TES crafting looks like the same old, boring, " click generic ingot, click generic sharpening stone, click generic gem " combine system every MMO has.

• JooknowJooknow Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Senadina
    Originally posted by Soki123
    On paper sounds like the best crafting I ve seen in an MMO. Really looking forward to this game.

Really? Have you seen what The Repopulation has for crafting? THAT is a crafting system to get excited about. TES crafting looks like the same old, boring, " click generic ingot, click generic sharpening stone, click generic gem " combine system every MMO has.

I agree completely.  I really don't see how this crafting system is all that different from other MMO's.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Hi Guys,

going to answer as many as I can.

We did not see any expamples of the "improving" high level item crafting yet. I am sure we will, but they only showed us a demo of straight forward crafting. They did mention the improvements and we will just have to see how these play out.

There are No Gathering skills, it is very much like Elder Scrolls, you find stuff everywhere!

Nothing was mentioned about Binding, but that is a GREAT question.

High Level Raiders will NOT influence this development team. They are really building a craft system that everyone can use. They want all top gear on an equal playing field.

the points that Paul is talking about in the interview were hypotheical. They did not give us exact numbers on points yet. The system allows for players to spend the points how they want. I am sure they said you can Master 2 skills with some points into a 3rd. They want players who play solo for an RPG experience to be able to play a true generalist crafter and make everything up to a certain point. I dont see too many people doing that though.

I think I will go Weapon and Enchanting just like I did in Skyrim with maybe Provisioner Brewing or Alchemy as my 3rd.

Here are some highlights for me personally:

Experimenting with the Additives, so freaking cool that you can actually experiment.

The interface is VERY EASY TO USE.

The Racial weapons and armor are so freaking awesome! Orc only for me!

:p 
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    they arnt going to please everyone with the crafting but personaly i like the idea you can only max out at one of the crafting skills this hopefully will make a better economy and also when you join a guild you can ask them what they need etc the question does need to be answered tho about how you enhance other peoples gear tho im sure most will want to build a good reputation you know didnt over charge me for doing it met me quickly enough etc stil having said that would have liked to see maybe 1200 to 1400 points max out one and good at one other maybe ,but im sure if the game does well enough this will come later in expansion or something :)
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

To start off, going to go totally off-topic here and just say that screenshot with the Khajiit looks beautiful - is that Elsweyr? If so I might roll Khajiit first. :)

On topic: I like what they're doing with the crafting, especially getting to experiment with the additives. If I like the crafting system in a game I do tend to craft heavily, so it's important to me.

• demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I don't understand this infactuation with mastering 1 or 2 skills. To me hopeing to get the best price for an ingredient  or if  your not friends with the guild leader to be in the top tier crafters for the guild,it's just the same old. The best crafting around has been if you put your time into it you should be able to master each one and then you can switch without forgetting where you left off in skill. Older mmo's had this-solo players can craft to their hearts content and party,guild players can have access to crafters all the time. They wont have to wait for Bob to log on for that belt.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

This looks like quite a bit of fun.  I'm wondering if they will stick to this approach, when the raider types start howling that raid gear isn't the best available in the game.  In most games I seldom bother with crafting, as dungeon and raid gear is much superior.

Given that I burned out of raiding years back, that means I get by with what dungeon drops I can find, and purchase the rest on the AH.  If they actually mean to make crafting useful, I will have to check that out.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    The crafter is me really got excited about the info in this video =-) MORE PLS!!!!!
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    So if I didnt focus on being a master. Could I as a Axe, heavy plate guy who uses a bow. Could I say spend my 1000 points to make the best Plate, Axes and bow if I didnt spend any points on say crafting swords?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Finally a game where Crafting really means something.  I plan on making an orc blacksmith, since this is what I really loved to play in Skyrim.  I would sit there and craft things, then go sell them to merchants.  Now I can go sell/trade them to other players weeeeeee (/giddyschoolgirlscream).

• AuronessAuroness Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I would imagine that loot could be set with a tag, to indicate ownership. You could give it to the crafter, and whether or not the crafter actually does anything to it, the game knows it is your piece of loot.

On the other hand, as a Provisioner or Alchemist, there isn't much trouble with ownership of a bottle of water. Selling, or transferring ownership of ingredients to a crafter would give the raiders coin, and make a crafter's life easier. For extremely exotic and rare ingredients, an ownership tag could come into play again. Despite the awful possibilities of griefing, some craftsmen will actually be honest and hard working.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    very, very interesting

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Which profession makes bags? :)

Have to have the Bags. lol

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Which brings up will it be like elder scrolls? Bags do not matter if you carry too much weight you are encomberd, anything been said on this yet?

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The "experimenting to find the right combinations" is just a load of worthless marketing mumbo jumbo. No one's gonna use tons of expensive mats to experiment, everyone will be looking up the combinations on fan sites / wikis.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    No mention of bags at all
     :p 
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Wonderful news, they are limited crafting as well. How many more things not TES that we KNOW can be done in an MMO are they NOT going to do? Seriously, there is no reason at all for them to dare say that crafting is important to the game, then chose to limit it when there have been MMOs that allowed players to train EVERY crafting skill and max it out.

WHAT THE HELL.

TES = UNLIMITED CRAFTING

THERE ARE MMOS WITH UNLIMITED CRAFTING.

This game...LIMITED CRAFTING.

Perfect...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Netspook

The "experimenting to find the right combinations" is just a load of worthless marketing mumbo jumbo. No one's gonna use tons of expensive mats to experiment, everyone will be looking up the combinations on fan sites / wikis.

Well, if no one is going to experiment, how does anyone get the information to post online?... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by garrett
    No mention of bags at all

If you could find out for us how we can extend our inventory storage and bank storage, that would be most awesome!

The information so far regarding crafting sounds pretty good.  I've always been a crafter in whatever MMO I play in, and its good to hear that the items made in TESO will be useful.  Well, not just useful, but worth something to the community.  There are too many games out there where crafters just get shafted and it becomes a fun little hobby rather than something of value where you can make a reasonable income out of it (but still fun to do).

I do have concern about finding the materials to craft with.  You mention you came across a couple of things here and there, which is cool for some items, but for the ingredients you will need large amounts of to make crafting reasonable..?  For instance wool, oak and copper.  How will those types of things be gathered?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by garrett

Yes you can enhance Raid Drops.

Crafting, Dungeon, and 3rd zone loot are all high up there. But everything can be worked on with crafting.

I think being a Master is the way to go, but you can spec your points however you want. As Paul says in the interview they have not determined the exact number of points you will get to spend ... yet.

I find that hard to believe since they said there will be no raids and that raids have no place in the Elder Scrolls.

• o2jplo2jpl Member Posts: 32

I was unable to find the answer to my question, thus here it goes.

Will crafted items especially equipables have a variable value depending on its quality and will that value deterioriate and be possibly repairable to the point of destruction?

In other words will it be similar to what swg had going for its economy where crafters were always in demand instead of having the same armor piece being traded over and over and over again.

• waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Unless weapond and armor are worn off this system is bound to fail like it's predecesors. Make it like SWG where you can have items repaired but never to the state it was in when freshly made and finally break down. THIS makes a reall craft economy. With that make the trials of making weapons gooed for dedicated crafters, ergo let a "good"crafter make unique items no one else had the knowledge of making them.